Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I was in the 'its not going to be as bad as I think' mindset until they started this the big media push. When its wasn't all about BC and everyone was going to there due and LL wasn't going to be BC overnight, I was more hopeful. But with KC out in full force right before the episode that was supposedly more about Team Arrow and MG wading into Tumblr to try and sell this arc (which tells me he is trying to sway the masses because they are getting push back) and then the interview with SA where he would rather talk about the costumes then Black Canary…I don't know. My pessimistic nature is reading into everything and screaming WORST THING EVER. I need to stop reading into everything; its depressing.

Personally, I wasn't equating badness to the amount of screen time Laurel gets. When they say she's front and center, I expect that she is front and center, and I'm glad they're being up front about it now because I like to know what I'm getting into. I just don't think it'll be as bad (and by "bad" I mean ridiculous/boring/nonsensical) as the scenarios I've worked up in my head. This show rarely is as bad as I think it'll be, because I prepare myself for the worst and usually end up being at least somewhat entertained. Obviously, or else I wouldn't be watching it anymore.

• Love 1

Wasn't there a picture floating around the internet for 3x15 that showed Oliver aiming an arrow at a person that was said to be MM? If it is indeed Malcolm, Oliver might not be acting so friendly towards the guy. Or maybe they team up from now on to fool the League (in this case Nyssa). Who knows... I am wondering though what Ra's plans are for Oliver and Starling City. If they go the Batman route, he wants to poison the city with fear toxin. 

I'm actually not at all entertained anymore, but I keep watching possibly because I hate myself or maybe because I'm hoping that it will somehow get better.  I was definitely more positive before the big Guggenheim BC media push of 2015.  I knew that I wouldn't be watching 10 or 11, but I thought that I might watch episode 12 to see Oliver's return.  But the episode description sounds really dumb, so now I'm thinking that maybe I'll only tune in for the last 15 minutes or so.  I'm definitely NOT subjecting myself to Canaries.  I don't hate myself that much.

• Love 10

Insta-canary for me. Not because I think it's less ridiculous than working with Malcolm Merlyn because I think those both are so beyond stupid that I can't even judge them but because of the consequences of insta-canary are so much further reaching.

I think Laurel's story overall lessens Oliver's in everyway.  I've spent 2 and half years watching a show where the hero is tortured, mentally and physically, looses just about ever person he loves in way or another, has to struggle to form attachments with people, has to work his way past looking at a narrow mission to expand it to helping the helpless, has to deny himself a normal life,  and has to brutally train everyday to main his abilities.

I've also watched a show where things need to be earned, costumes, masks, acceptance, partnerships, and victories.

And I'm currently watching a show where all of that is made meaningless by the addition of one character. One character who is able to maintain her full time demanding job while also .. poof... becoming trained, a character that goes from RAGE to I need to help everyone!!!!! in one episode, a character that hasn't managed not to turn her nose up at every person on the show or listen to one piece of advice given to her suddenly being NEEDED on a team, a character that has a mask, and a costume from the start and who's greatest accomplishments so far are being a drunk and no one noticing and blackmail her way through the end of season.

MM I can write off as incredibly bad decision. Laurel's character has become the bowling ball and she's knocking down 2 years worth of character moments in her wake.

• Love 15

Anyway, I've seen the discussions going back and forth and it brings me to a question. At this stage, which would be harder for you to accept? Insta-Canary or the team allying with Malcolm?

The team allying with Merlyn for sure. I've always assumed Laurel would be BC, so that's never been a surprise and I think the show's hands are tied on her Insta-Canary transition because their origin arc with her has been such a massive fail that they have to give her a redeeming storyline (even if I personally have no interest in watching it). Trusting/Working with Malcolm is just plain ridiculous and flies in the face of everything they've told us about him and his relationship with the team. Laurel should be adamantly against working with him because he indirectly killed Tommy. Both Diggle and Felicity should be against the idea because he was directly responsible for Oliver's "death". Roy should be against it because Merlyn destroyed his home (i.e. The Glades) and probably many of his childhood friends in the process.

It's contrived and downright ridiculous.

• Love 3

I think the team allying with Malcolm would be harder for me to accept, even considering how I feel about Laurel. InstaCanary only affects Laurel. Allying with Malcolm, considering what he's JUST DONE to three people they're supposed to care about, is potentially seriously character damaging for both Diggle and Roy, and that would be harder for me to deal with.

Same. 

Ultimately, if I were interested in Laurel at all, I'd want her to earn her Canary-ness in a linear, sensible way that was explained in the story and not just a culmination of her finally "getting her due" or whatever for being a good sport or team player. But the thing is, I don't care about Laurel, so I'm not interested in watching her train or slowly earning the title, or watching her get her ass kicked up and down the street while taking her knocks. I don't want to watch another one of her ridiculous "crucibles" that doesn't actually take her down a heroic path, I don't want to watch her hit rock bottom again, I'm tired of watching her cry and be angry. So, if we can fast forward that stuff and she can just fight or whatever? That would be my preferred way of dealing with it, since her story isn't one I'm ever going to be invested in. It also doesn't lessen anything that Oliver or Sara went through (to me) in any way, because I'll always see them both as superior to her. 

I'm much more distressed by the fact that people I'm supposed to be rooting for would ever even consider trusting the man who was a) responsible for the murder of 500+ people, b) responsible for the murder of his own son, c) responsible for the murder of their friend/sister/teammate Sara, d) drugging their friend/ex-girlfriend/Oliver's sister into MURDERING PEOPLE (and that's only ONE thing we know that he's drugged her into doing, who knows if there are more), and e) MANIPULATED THEIR LEADER/PARTNER/FRIEND INTO GOING OFF TO FIGHT RA'S AL GHUL SO MALCOLM COULD GET OUT OF HIS BLOOD DEBT. There isn't a level of desperation large enough for me to ever believe that any of them would even consider it. 

If they do agree, I really hope Felicity takes off, because what a bunch of f-ing dumbasses. God.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 9

I've liked all of the last few posts, because both Insta-Canary are so difficult for me to accept and people have done a great job explaining why both of these things are such a slap in the face to the viewers. Given what an utter failure Laurel has been on this show, I at least understand the reasons why we're getting Insta-Canary, even if I think it sucks.  Nothing about Team Arrow trusting Malcolm for even five seconds makes any sense to me. I hate it.

• Love 5

The Magician is on tv here right now, and it's the first time I'm rewatching it, both Laurel and Diggle flat out say Merlyn would be better off dead for the things he did. So for them [well, Diggle at least] to have gathered MORE INFORMATION about his evilness and still want his help for anything? Yeah. It's making characters stupid dumbasses because plot.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 5

Can you refresh my memory? Did they even suggest putting him on Landmine Island?

I was against Oliver killing Malcolm and I didn't like Diggle suggesting it; I thought it would lead to Oliver regressing. However, I never understood Oliver protecting Malcolm. He needed to be locked up.

Can you refresh my memory? Did they even suggest putting him on Landmine Island?

I was against Oliver killing Malcolm and I didn't like Diggle suggesting it; I thought it would lead to Oliver regressing. However, I never understood Oliver protecting Malcolm. He needed to be locked up.

Malcolm told Oliver that no prison could hold him, SO WHY BOTHER?! Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

And yet, it could (at the time) hold Slade Wilson. The man who came back from the dead and was strong enough to organize an army that put the city underseige and smart enough hostile takeover QC. And Argur backs up the prison. But let's just take Malcolm's ego for it..

• Love 1

Haha, yeah, the episode just ended for me. Malcolm says "no prison can hold me" and Oliver basically accepts it, and then tells Nyssa that Malcolm is under his protection, I think because the advanced stages of Dumbed by Plot Syndrome had already set. Or maybe he was distracted missing Felicity, who knows.

• Love 4

And yet, it could (at the time) hold Slade Wilson. The man who came back from the dead and was strong enough to organize an army that put the city underseige and smart enough hostile takeover QC. And Argur backs up the prison. But let's just take Malcolm's ego for it..

Well, Slade does get out somehow in 3x14.

From that David Ramsey interview, they really are pushing the actors to use the superhero names.  I noticed that he referred to Laurel as "Canary" and not "Black Canary."  Don't know if that was an intentional thing on his part though...

Maybe they let Slade out to try him on the Sucide Squad and  he escapes?

We don't know yet that Diggle sides with Laurel, do we?  Just that "they look to Diggle to make the final decision."

On the other hand, if Diggle does side with Laurel and Felicity leaves, Oliver comes back and shows they were wrong to trust Merlyn, it could be the impetus for Laurel in Canaries, realizing she doesn't know everything yet.

Haha, yeah, the episode just ended for me. Malcolm says "no prison can hold me" and Oliver basically accepts it, and then tells Nyssa that Malcolm is under his protection, I think because the advanced stages of Dumbed by Plot Syndrome had already set. Or maybe he was distracted missing Felicity, who knows.

I take the "Diggle sides with Felicity" back.  Nothing can be stupider than Oliver accepting Merlyn's statement that no prison could hold him and then protecting him from Nyssa.  If for no other reason, Merlyn KILLED 503 PEOPLE!  That he should pay  for.  

So I guess everyone is fair game for plot stupidity this season.

Kreisburg: We always say we make this show for two audiences: we make it for me and my wife. My wife doesn't know anything from anything -- as far as comic books are concerned. But it has to appeal to both audiences.

We know MG's wife is a smart cookie (as Agent Carter might say), can we count on AK's as well?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Maybe they let Slade out to try him on the Sucide Squad and  he escapes?

We don't know yet that Diggle sides with Laurel, do we?  Just that "they look to Diggle to make the final decision."

He definitely could. I just can't imagine that if it was some kind of ARGUS-sanctioned release that the bomb in his head wouldn't be set of lickety-split. Maybe it is by the end of the ep? 

And we don't know that Diggle sides with Laurel at all. I hope he doesn't. It could lead to an interesting rift between Diggle and Felicity/Roy and Laurel, but I'm just letting myself expect the worst. And the worst, to me, would be Diggle agreeing to that mess. 

And the worst, to me, would be Diggle agreeing to that mess.

Yeah.  Apparently none of Oliver, Diggle or Thea are safe from Plot Point Stupidity.  (Fingers crossed for Felicity though.)

Could there be left-over effects of mirakuru that prevent the bomb from exploding?  He did have it in his system for five years after all.

Since Slade's not alone on the island anymore, he and Boomerang could find a way to escape together. As for why Slade comes back, I still think it must be for revenge. That's been his whole thing. Mirakuru or not, he wanted Oliver to suffer. Now, I'd think he'd be pissed at Felicity too. Or he might even switch his delusional revenge fantasy to her. 

• Love 1

I'm thinking about this solely in terms of plot. This is the end of Brick's arc so we know that he is stopped in this episode. If they agree to work with Malcolm and succeed in taking down Brick, then what does that say about the team up of Diggle, Felicity, Roy and L? On one hand it would show how valuable Oliver is to the Team, on the other it's kind of insulting to the others.

Since Slade's not alone on the island anymore, he and Boomerang could find a way to escape together. As for why Slade comes back, I still think it must be for revenge. That's been his whole thing. Mirakuru or not, he wanted Oliver to suffer. Now, I'd think he'd be pissed at Felicity too. Or he might even switch his delusional revenge fantasy to her. 

Someone on Tumblr asked MG if Slade believed the ruse  He said to watch 3x14 to find out. I'm thinking....hoping....that Slade does go after Felicity.

Edited by 10Eleven12

The other problem is if the team of Diggle/Felicity/Roy/Laurel/Wildcat/Ray fail (because Ray is already in on it and Wildcat should be the one they ask first to join), how is Oliver going to be able to step back from Arrowing at the end of the season?

Malcolm offers to join them because he has a particular score to settle with Brick.  Was Brick one of those who killed Rebecca, or is Malcolm lying to get on the Team?

• Love 1

I'm still waiting to be convinced why Brick is such a big deal. Putting aside the ridiculous notion they ever would, what is it about him that would bring up the notion of the team joining forces with Malcolm to stop him? If Malcolm hates him so much, why not just put an arrow (or twelve) in him? He's just a guy. At least the Brick in the comics had super powers. I mean, I like Vinnie Jones and I can't wait to see what he does with the role, but even if he's the vilest mobster or gang leader in the history of planet Earth he's still just a guy.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 4

Malcolm is a lying liar that lies. Even his truths are lies.

In no situation ever should Team Arrow trust him. Malcolm likes to think Starling is HIS city so it'd irk him that someone else is running part of it. I will always suspect Malcolm of wrong doing, especially after drugging his only daughter and feeding her brother to a shark.

• Love 2

I'm still waiting to be convinced why Brick is such a big deal. Putting aside the ridiculous notion they ever would, what is it about him that would bring up the notion of the team joining forces with Malcolm to stop him? If Malcolm hates him so much, why not just put an arrow (or twelve) in him? He's just a guy. At least the Brick in the comics had super powers. I mean, I like Vinnie Jones and I can't wait to see what he does with the role, but even if he's the vilest mobster or gang leader in the history of planet Earth he's still just a guy.

Yeah, if Malcolm wants him dead, why go to Team Arrow at all? He could just kill the guy, it's not like he needs their permission. What are they going to do, go after him for killing a dude they were trying to take down anyway? 

The only thing I can think of is that Malcolm's going to offer them something in exchange for their teamwork, and letting him kill Brick is his condition. Although what he could give them, I don't know. Maybe he promises something to do with Thea? Then, of course, there's the problem of why he'd go to them and offer them anything in exchange for letting him do something he could do on his own. Unless he's trying to trick them into owing him something down the line, or...something to that effect, I don't know. Which will just make me angrier, because what morons.

Edited by apinknightmare

If Thea doesn't know yet, maybe that's what he wants in exchange, their silence on his role in Oliver's death.

Still don't understand why they can't just take down Brick themselves. Call in Barry if it's a real problem.

Call in Barry if it's a real problem.

Something I highlighted a short while ago. The shared universe and the existence of Barry (not to mention the fact that he's shown himself happy to run to Starling and help out), causes significant logic problems when there is some supposedly unstoppable villain that causes the heroes to ally with shady types.

'Hey, we need help dealing with Vinnie Jones. He's cockney.'

'We're going to have to accept Malcolm Merlyn's help. I hate it, and he was responsible for the deaths of my sister and my last two boyfriends, but there's no avoiding it.'

'Yes there is. I called Barry. He came and grabbed Vinnie Jones while you were talking and now he's locked up in STAR Labs.'

'Oh... cool. I guess. But now what will I do? I spent the last hour and forty five minutes buckling up this costume.'

'See if there are any particularly out of shape and weedy muggers out there that you might be able to take?'

• Love 10

The shared universes issue doesn't even bother me, because them not calling Barry could easily be explained away by him being tied up with his own issues in Central City. I like the combined universes enough that I'm willing to hand wave this stuff if I get more episodes of Flarrow .

I'm wondering why they wouldn't get in touch with ARGUS? Lyla and Diggle are a couple. ARGUS has a base in Starling City. They would have a vested interested in getting things under control. Sure, it might not be in the way Oliver would've liked, but Diggle's never shown any apprehension for killing some dudes, and surely that's better than getting into bed with Malcolm Merlyn? Hopefully this is explained in the show, but the fact that they'd even consider it annoys the hell out of me.

Edited by apinknightmare

Tvecho Barrowman also has a Facebook account.

Thanks - added to list.  Also modified MG's Tumblr link on list (page 61 of Public Appearances thread).

Just saw MG's Tumblr response that Ep. 310 will have no Oliver voice-over intro.

Edited by tv echo

So, ep 3x16 is called "The Offer," and I wonder if maybe it has something to do with this quote from Matt Nable in his IGN interview (posted over in the SPOILERS ONLY thread):

“Yes, I think there could be," Nable told us when asked if there might be a future where Oliver and Ra’s have a mentor or ally relationship. "Yes. [Laughs]…I can say no more.”

• Love 1

So, ep 3x16 is called "The Offer," and I wonder if maybe it has something to do with this quote from Matt Nable in his IGN interview (posted over in the SPOILERS ONLY thread):

“Yes, I think there could be," Nable told us when asked if there might be a future where Oliver and Ra’s have a mentor or ally relationship. "Yes. [Laughs]…I can say no more.”

yeah I think this is definitely related to what he said. 

I've thought this before. I thought Ra's would maybe become a twisted sort of mentor to Oliver, to show how great the Arrow can be if he let go of Oliver Queen. Part of me feels like they're going to take Merlyn down because Ra's didn't court trouble with Oliver (or vice versa) until Merlyn got involved. He's the problem there.

From the SPOILERS ONLY thread:

Will Team Arrow actually tell Laurel that Thea killed Sara? — Brian
That’s the big question once Laurel joins the team. “Laurel will find out who killed her sister,” Katie Cassidy tells me. “The audience will be surprised by her reaction. I feel like I wouldn’t be surprised if Laurel lost it on Thea, but people will be surprised and excited.” As for the big “Canaries” episode coming up, Cassidy says, “There’s going to be some crazy badass scenes of the Canaries fighting.” Make of that what you will.

Well, people aren't going to be surprised now. 

I figured she'd be forgiving of Thea, considering it would actually be interesting and in-character if she lost her shit for a bit, but I guess we have to see that big heart in action.

• Love 1

Nah, she was never gonna be mad at Thea. That was obvious. The question is, who is she going to channel all that rage towards? She said she would find the person and make them pay. Now what?

Nah, she was never gonna be mad at Thea. That was obvious. The question is, who is she going to channel all that rage towards? She said she would find the person and make them pay. Now what?

I didn't think she'd stay mad at Thea, but I had hoped she'd fly off the handle a bit, because I enjoy batshit, unreasonable Laurel (kinda). 

I thought maybe she'd work with Nyssa to take Merlyn down (maybe Ra's too). 

Edited by apinknightmare
(edited)

From the SPOILERS ONLY thread:

Well, people aren't going to be surprised now.

I figured she'd be forgiving of Thea, considering it would actually be interesting and in-character if she lost her shit for a bit, but I guess we have to see that big heart in action.

I wonder if they even get what they're saying when the keep making comments like this, AJK said the exact same thing about Laurel finding out Oliver was Arrow.

So, people are going to be surprised by your character (that you claim has this huge heart) is acting nice, understanding, accepting? Or are people going to be surprised because her actions (being nice) are don't match with the way she should/would act given the way she's been established?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

I didn't think she'd stay mad at Thea, but I had hoped she'd fly off the handle a bit, because I enjoy batshit, unreasonable Laurel (kinda). 

I guess she's going to join forces with Oliver (and Ra's, maybe?) to take Merlyn down?

Yeah, I wanted her to be all rage-y too but this is the time where we'll see that heart she's always on about. I kind of wanted her to have a similar reaction to the one she had when Roy said he killed Sara. It was like she couldn't handle it because her reason for training etc… had just been taken away. She was like an addict whose latest fix had just been flushed down the toilet. Makes sense considering I feel like she's just swapping one addiction for another but that's a discussion for another thread.

What I wanna know is WILL SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL THEA SHE'S BEEN BRAINWASHED, AND GET SOMEONE FROM ARGUS TO DE-PROGRAM HER asap? Like, I know this is a half-assed mind control storyline, and I doubt the writers even gave any thought to the psychological consequences for Thea [does she have trigger words, sleeper-agent style? Is she brainwashed all the time, or only when Malcolm triggers her? Is her ninja training attached to the mind control? Does she lose time, or is Malcolm replacing her memories? I can go on], but for crying out loud. Getting Thea away from Malcolm >>>>> Laurel's revenge.

One is a person being used as A WEAPON by a mad man, who can make her kill anyone at anytime. Urgency is kind of a thing here. Laurel is not exactly on a tight revenge schedule.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 11

Getting Thea away from Malcolm >>>>> Laurel's revenge.

Oh, it definitely is. And I think maybe that's about what's going to happen. I just wanted Laurel's initial reaction to be Laurel-esque, not Sara-esque.

ETA: I really thought that getting Thea away from Malcolm would've been one of the first things Felicity did upon finding out that Oliver died - it seems in character for her, knowing what Malcolm's been doing to her (she did go through thousands of cell phone pictures to find Slade's car when he kidnapped her). And it's not one of those Felicity vs. Laurel things where I think Thea can only be helped by Felicity, I just honestly figured Felicity would've been the one to do it and that Laurel would've immediately gotten angry upon finding out (since that's what she does).

Edited by apinknightmare

Sara would've just wanted to kill Malcolm. She would not have taken kindly to a man manipulating a woman into doing his bidding. She most definitely would never suggest teaming up with him. 

And that's another missed opportunity, Sara would've been able to understand and maybe help Thea because of her time with Ivo. She may not have been brainwashed but she had some Stockholm Syndrome going on and did terrible things under his influence. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

And it's not one of those Felicity vs. Laurel things where I think Thea can only be helped by Felicity, I just honestly figured Felicity would've been the one to do it and that Laurel would've immediately gotten angry upon finding out (since that's what she does).

How would Felicity explain wanting to get Thea away from Malcolm to Laurel, without spilling the beans that he's brainwashing her?

I agree, it would have been a better story, especially if Diggle and Roy (who Thea is mad at because he lied to her) helped.

It's discouraging that these episodes are Laurel-centric, and Ray-centric, rather than being about carrying the established storyline through.

Oh, it definitely is. And I think maybe that's about what's going to happen. I just wanted Laurel's initial reaction to be Laurel-esque, not Sara-esque.

ETA: I really thought that getting Thea away from Malcolm would've been one of the first things Felicity did upon finding out that Oliver died - it seems in character for her, knowing what Malcolm's been doing to her (she did go through thousands of cell phone pictures to find Slade's car when he kidnapped her). And it's not one of those Felicity vs. Laurel things where I think Thea can only be helped by Felicity, I just honestly figured Felicity would've been the one to do it and that Laurel would've immediately gotten angry upon finding out (since that's what she does).

I'm starting to get the feeling that Laurel and Thea will train together after Laurel finds out (maybe with Nyssa too), based on KC's comment, and Marc's teasing about these great scenes between ladies coming up in 3B. And that does fit Laurel's character--she would totally turn this to her advantage, to have Thea help her learn how to fight.

Did Oliver not tell Roy to protect Thea or watch over her or something like that before he left to die? Is getting Thea away from Malcolm like the first thing he should do? 

Granted, Oliver should have told her imo but I guess he didn't want to tell her right before he left to die. 

TBH I don't care who does it but someone just needs to get Thea the hell away from Malcolm. I actually made a tumblr account to message Guggenheim about this but he didn't reply lol. 

Edited by ban1o

How would Felicity explain wanting to get Thea away from Malcolm to Laurel, without spilling the beans that he's brainwashing her?

I might be misunderstanding your question, but I figured it would be something Felicity would do sans Laurel. I don't see why Laurel would have to factor into the situation at all? When we found out that Felicity and Thea would be having scenes together (which have now been pushed back), I thought for sure it would've been Felicity either telling Thea what Malcolm was doing to her and trying to get her away from him, or trying to get her away from him some other way. Obviously that's not happening, but that's what I had hoped for.

Did Oliver not tell Roy to protect Thea or watch over her or something like that before he left to die? Is getting Thea away from Malcolm like the first thing he should do? 

Granted, Oliver should have told her imo but I guess he didn't want to tell her right before he left to die. 

Well, maybe he'll tell her since we're supposed to get some Roy/Thea scenes coming up. As long as someone gets her away from him or makes a case to her to consider it. She needs to know what he's been doing to her. 

Edited by apinknightmare