Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

BTW according to IMDB he made 30K an episode last year which is 690K for the entire season (before taxes and paying his agent and so forth). it makes me wonder how much everybody else are making - I like knowing such little tidbits- I mean he is the star so it would make sense he makes the most per episode, but than Barrowman, Blackthorne, and Thompson are industry veterans and two of them headed their own pretty successful shows.

oh IMDB is never to be believed for serious stuff.

Stephen's income has to be a lot more than that. Someone like Max Greenfield makes 75k per episode for New Girl and he is like 3rd name on call sheet after Zooey and Jack.

Stephen headlines an hour long action drama and must be making at least 85 k or more. I refuse to believe that CW/WB is paying their star anything less than that. TV pays well. I have worked in TV industry in UK and I always used to wonder at times the insane money that was being paid to people who work in front of camera - like Top 10 show hosts who only look pretty (their scripts are written by other peeps) get paid 20k a week. Some veterans like Mark Harmon of NCIS makes 2.3 million per episode but that show has been number 1 since forever and has been on air since forever as well.

Stephen must make a lot more than 30k that imdb is reporting, this is probably the type of money they would be paying to someone like Emily or Colton.

the list of places Sara was seen in for Season 2 grows longer the more I think about it - I can't imagine how the show can pretend none of that happened.  We can joke that they want to forget much of 2B like the rest of us but they truly can't be that careless or think we're all that dumb.

The clip also doesn't show Sin at the funeral. So I wonder if we'll ever even hear her name mentioned.

The 'funeral' and story around it regarding what Quentin may or may not know is just one layer of sadness & awfulness after another.

The idea that one of the show 's EP's and writers either doesn't remember or chooses not to recognize something that was clearly shown on screen is mind-boggling. Not inconceivable, mind you, I mean, look at who we're talking about. But, seriously, this is just so odd. I can't even begin to imagine how it's going to be explained.

• Love 2

Some new (I think) information about the next ep from Laurel Brown: http://www.docbrowntv.com/arrow-season-3-spoilers-will-saras-death-affect-laurel-oliver-felicity/

And according to your show, Oliver threw her a back from the dead party. Keep track of your shit!

I hate it when producers give tissue warnings. It usually means we're in for over-the-top melodramatic emotionally manipulative crap. Ugh, I'm feeling bitter today.

Oh for fuck's sake. These idiots can't call themselves writers. Even hacks wouldn't miss major details such as an entire city knowing a character came back from the dead. UGH!!!!

• Love 2

The idea that one of the show 's EP's and writers either doesn't remember or chooses not to recognize something that was clearly shown on screen is mind-boggling. Not inconceivable, mind you, I mean, look at who we're talking about. But, seriously, this is just so odd. I can't even begin to imagine how it's going to be explained.

Maybe the writer of the article took something in the interview out of context? That's the only thing I can think of. Sara was out in public way too much last season for them to just...write around it.

• Love 3

See that would be fine except the doctor spoke to Laurel about her sister. He told her about her previous injuries & asked if she was ex military, so I don't see the fake identity working here. I know it shouldn't bother me, and there are several things on this show that make no sense, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

It rubs me the wrong way too. It'd make sense that they'd bury her secretly because people knew she was alive and they wanted to hide her death, but if that was their concern then they wouldn't be putting her body in her old grave as if she didn't actually live publicly in Starling for months in the very recent past.

It seems like the only reason they'd (the writers) keep news of her death from getting out publicly is so a: they could push some contrived drama about whether or not to tell Lance, or b: so they could bring her back at a later date (Lazarus Pit?) if they have to, although that's grasping at straws on my part because having a person return from the dead three times is too much, even on this ridiculous show.

Crossing my fingers that this makes sense tomorrow.

It seems like the only reason they'd (the writers) keep news of her death from getting out publicly is so a: they could push some contrived drama about whether or not to tell Lance, or b: so they could bring her back at a later date (Lazarus Pit?) if they have to, although that's grasping at straws on my part because having a person return from the dead three times is too much, even on this ridiculous show.

Crossing my fingers that this makes sense tomorrow.

Honestly, I hate when shows resurrect people. I feel like it takes away that fear of a someone dying, if you can just bring them back. However, I'm with you here. If any character on this show needs a Lazarus pit, it's Sara. That's why it's even more ridiculous, we've seen her die three times... you'd think they'd get tired of killing her. At this point resurrecting her one more time is almost expected. I can't wait to see what they do tomorrow, I have a feeling it'll be utterly stupid.

• Love 1

Okay, somebody needs to twit one of the trio EP and ask them. I would, but i don't have a twitter account.

I already did, last night. I was raging.

My tweet:

If the world thinks #SaraLance died 6 yrs ago, what did the world think the "Sara isn't really Dead!" party was for in S2? @mguggenheim

No response yet.

And wasn't the doctor at the hospital with Sara and Laurel the same doctor that has helped Oliver on the sly?  If so, then perhaps he'd be the one medical person they trust to keep IDs secret.

Now I'm just throwing pasta at the wall to see what sticks.

This show needs to do better.

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 1

Honestly, I hate when shows resurrect people. I feel like it takes away that fear of a someone dying, if you can just bring them back. However, I'm with you here. If any character on this show needs a Lazarus pit, it's Sara. That's why it's even more ridiculous, we've seen her die three times... you'd think they'd get tired of killing her. At this point resurrecting her one more time is almost expected. I can't wait to see what they do tomorrow, I have a feeling it'll be utterly stupid.

Yeah, I don't think they'll resurrect her, im just trying to figure out what the story reasons are for keeping it secret. I mean, it's not like anyone on the team had anything to do with her death, so they have no reason to hide it. No one in Starling knows about the LOA, so no one would question her outfit.

Maybe they had to cover it up if Laurel moved the body (which it seems like she does, since she's already the foundry with Sara when everyone walks in, unless that's a misdirection), which begs the question, WHY WOULD A DA MOVE A BODY. She of all people would know better than to do that, shitty lawyer or not. So, then they'd have her act unprofessionally in order to push the arc?

Ugh, just wait until it pans out, self. Just wait to see how it pans out.

ETA: I know she's acted unprofessionally before with the blackmail and asking Arrow for help, but that's different than actually obstructing a case IMO.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I already did, last night. I was raging.

My tweet:

No response yet.

And wasn't the doctor at the hospital with Sara and Laurel the same doctor that has helped Oliver on the sly?  If so, then perhaps he'd be the one medical person they trust to keep IDs secret.

Now I'm just throwing pasta at the wall to see what sticks.

This show needs to do better.

This show needs to do waaay better.

I'm pretty sure Dr. McChatty and Dr. Helpful were two different actors.

Could the reason the writers went this way be that they have to cover up The Canary's death so that Laurel can eventually wear the mask/wig and pass herself off as Canary?  If Sara shows up as dead in the outfit people will put 2+2 together when Laurel takes up mask/wig, plus Laurel passing herself off as Canary would go a long way to lend her street cred.  

Now obviously, Laurel looks nothing like Sara but this is a show that had Laurel not recognize Sara when face to face with Canary...same goes for Oliver/Arrow and pretends that a little domino mask could hide Oliver/Roy from everyone they've ever met or interacted with.

• Love 1

Could the reason the writers went this way be that they have to cover up The Canary's death so that Laurel can eventually wear the mask/wig and pass herself off as Canary?  If Sara shows up as dead in the outfit people will put 2+2 together when Laurel takes up mask/wig, plus Laurel passing herself off as Canary would go a long way to lend her street cred.  

Now obviously, Laurel looks nothing like Sara but this is a show that had Laurel not recognize Sara when face to face with Canary...same goes for Oliver/Arrow and pretends that a little domino mask could hide Oliver/Roy from everyone they've ever met or interacted with.

that's a very interesting theory - and perhaps Laurel 'being Sara' may also be a way to flush out Sara's murderer?

• Love 2

Maybe they had to cover it up if Laurel moved the body (which it seems like she does, since she's already the foundry with Sara when everyone walks in, unless that's a misdirection), which begs the question, WHY WOULD A DA MOVE A BODY. She of all people would know better than to do that, shitty lawyer or not. So, then they'd have her act unprofessionally in order to push the arc?

Also, how could Laurel move the body?  I find it hard to believe that skinny Laurel can carry Sara's dead body all the way from the alley to the foundry.

Edited by tv echo

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying this was some plan to have Laurel pretend to be Sara in order to flush out a murder or anything like that, i wasn't even thinking of an "in show" reason.  I was thinking more out of show, basically Laurel is going to take Sara's life just like she accused Sara of stealing her life/future when Sara went on the Gambit (back in 2.13).  

Laurel's whole journey is am I my sister or myself...if they're intent on making Laurel into BC then her ultimate decision will be to take her dead sister's wig, mask, name, place on TA and reputation.  In order for Laurel to become BC Sara has to not only die but apparently never exist in Starling in the first place.  

From the Lauren Brown piece http://www.docbrowntv.com/arrow-season-3-spoilers-will-saras-death-affect-laurel-oliver-felicity/

One possible major repercussion could be on the recently friendly relationship between Laurel and Oliver. There has to be some tension after Sara’s death, right? “I think Sara’s death probably pulls them closer together than further apart,” Guggenheim says. “That’s not to say that there aren’t some significant moments of conflict between them also … There’s a scene in episode 2 where they’re going at it and can’t stand each other, and there’s also a scene in episode 2 where they’re the closest they’ve ever been.”

Ugh.  I'm still unreasonably angry at Laurel over Sara's death and don't want to see these scenes.  I am really not looking forward to this episode.

Yeah, they really need more of an in-story reason to hide the fact that Sara died than just Quentin's heart problems. Or is this the point we just plain stop trying to find narrative reasons for Laurel to do anything, and just go with the external factors?

Also -- Laurel has a black eye and a split lip in the promo images for 3x03, so I'm pretty much expecting her to put on the mask and go out vigilante-ing either in 3x02 or the beginning of 3x03. Any other reasons for her face to be busted up like that make me feel ill.

here’s a scene in episode 2 where they’re going at it and can’t stand each other, and there’s also a scene in episode 2 where they’re the closest they’ve ever been.”

"We've learned so  little about our audience, practically nothing in two years. No wait, DEFINITELY nothing that we've learned about Laurel and  Oliver scenes. Not a thing."

• Love 8

Just the implication that Felicity might be changing. I really dont want the writers to screw up my favorite character.

Maybe it's a life change and not a personality change? Maybe she'll be happier at work and take some time for herself. It doesn't have to be bad, although it is natural to assume the worst with these people.

• Love 4

I think the change in Felicity will probably be a more pronounced version of her unavailability in 2x10. Oliver doesn't like it when she's out of pocket. He's gonna be wishing all he had to worry about was a comatose nerd when she's actually spending over half her day working with Ray. He will not like sharing.

This though:

At first, it's just purely platonic and purely about her and her amazing brain and tech abilities. That's why he seeks her out at Tech Town. He didn't know what she looked like or one thing about her and I think he was pleasantly surprised that she's as fetching as she is. It's her rebuttal and her rebuffing his advances when he starts to get into her that fuels the whole thing and makes her even more appealing. But at first, it's absolutely that she's just a tech wiz and has a job skill set that he's looking for.

So...this sounds like he definitely went to Tech Town to find her and scope her out?

Edited by thecatbastet
  • Love 1
It's her rebuttal and her rebuffing his advances when he starts to get into her that fuels the whole thing and makes her even more appealing.

While I'm terrified of the prospect of these particular writers tackling a storyline about guy who doesn't seem to take "no" for an answer, I quite liked this interview. It showed me that Routh is really self-aware about what his character represents to the show. And he seems to have actually watched the show too, which I always appreciate in someone who's cast later in the game.

• Love 1

I think the change in Felicity will probably be a more pronounced version of her unavailability in 2x10. Oliver doesn't like it when she's out of pocket. He's gonna be wishing all he had to worry about was a comatose nerd when she's actually spending over half her day working with Ray. He will not like sharing.

This though:

So...this sounds like he definitely went to Tech Tech to find her and scope her out?

We all know how he reacts when he cannot find her ready and available, Mr Crankypants.  

At first, it's just purely platonic and purely about her and her amazing brain and tech abilities. That's why he seeks her out at Tech Town. He didn't know what she looked like or one thing about her and I think he was pleasantly surprised that she's as fetching as she is. It's her rebuttal and her rebuffing his advances when he starts to get into her that fuels the whole thing and makes her even more appealing. But at first, it's absolutely that she's just a tech wiz and has a job skill set that he's looking for.

I don't know why but Brandon Routh just endeared himself to me when he used the word 'fetching' for Felicity.

Little things matter to me.

Oh and if last week's tweeting is any indication, he and his wife are Olicity fans.

• Love 3
It's her rebuttal and her rebuffing his advances when he starts to get into her that fuels the whole thing and makes her even more appealing.

While I'm terrified of the prospect of these particular writers tackling a storyline about guy who doesn't seem to take "no" for an answer, I quite liked this interview. It showed me that Routh is really self-aware about what his character represents to the show. And he seems to have actually watched the show too, which I always appreciate in someone who's cast later in the game.

I'm hoping that the "advances" are more professional ones? And what makes her even more interesting is that she's turning down a professional job (one that she went to MIT for) in favour of working part-time in sales. So that adds a layer of..interest? to her. What is going on in her life that she would turn down that type of opportunity for sales.

I'm glad Felicity is getting her own storyline though. She hasn't gotten that in the past 2 seasons. Also characters have to change Felicity has changed a lot since she first  appeared on Arrow. Oliver has changed a lot. Thea has changed a lot. Diggle has changed a lot. Roy has changed a lot. Quentin has changed a lot. Laurel has changed a lot. Nothing wrong with change :P If she stayed teh same there would be no character development. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 4

That interview made me really excited for Ray and his story line with Felicity. I can't get that bent about the light cyberstalking from Ray this is literally what Felicity does all day long, she even told him Happy Hacking when she empowered random dude Ray at Tech Town place to go...hack. This is one of the more interesting aspects of Felicity's backstory I'm game for, hacking can be used for good as she does on Team Arrow but it's still ethically and morally questionable, and certainly legally out of bounds.

Not taking no for an answer to his professional pursuit is also relatively fine with me, I'll wait to see if his romantic pursuit follows the same trajectory.

Oh and if last week's tweeting is any indication, he and his wife are Olicity fans.

Yes, this I found that super endearing, like his wife is going to be all over his ass when Ray gets in the way. Hee.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 4

I could not be more pro-Olicity if it was my job, but I like him enormously. I love basically everything he said in that article. I want him to be the guy who is all in, leaves no doubt how he feels. I assume like he says, he gets interested in her professionally first, he's there for her brain, and then over time he gets interested personally.

We do have the coffee spoiler for 303, which I think must be Ray bringing Felicity coffee.

• Love 8

That interview made me really excited for Ray and his story line with Felicity. I can't get that bent about the light cyberstalking from Ray this is literally what Felicity does all day long, she even told him Happy Hacking when she empowered random dude Ray at Tech Town place to go...hack. This is one of the more interesting aspects of Felicity's backstory I'm game for, hacking can be used for good as she does on Team Arrow but it's still ethically and morally questionable, and certainly legally out of bounds.

Not taking no for an answer to his professional pursuit is also relatively fine with me, I'll wait to see if his romantic pursuit follows the same trajectory.

Yes, this I found that super endearing, like his wife is going to be all over his ass when Ray gets in the way. Hee.

Since he was originally supposed to be Ted Kord, the cyberstalking thing may be a nod to the Ted Kord/Barbara Gordon relationship. They knew each other online as bumblebeeb and Rolling Thunder, but didn't know IRL identities or genders, and met up at a con or something.

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/scans_daily/908945.html

I know a lot of folks are dreading it, but I am thrilled that Felicity's decoy relationship is probably going to charm and entertain me.

• Love 3

I could not be more pro-Olicity if it was my job, but I like him enormously. I love basically everything he said in that article.

I've enjoyed BR's interviews so far too. People always act like shippers are rabid wolverines who want to cut anyone who comes between their couple, but BR proves it's possible to ingratiate yourself just by being self-deprecating about your character and self-aware of your role as "the spoiler." It was really funny to see how grounded he is about Ray, as compared to the OTT hyperbole by Kristin in the intro and her questions. 

I'm disappointed, though, to learn he hasn't had many scenes with SA yet. I'm more intrigued by the Ray/Oliver interaction than the Ray/Felicity interaction.

• Love 7

How is Sara's death on Arrow going to affect Laurel and Oliver's relationship?

Producer Marc Guggenheim promises that their relationship won't take a hit in the aftermath of that brutal and shocking murder (which I'm still not over, BTW). "It's funny, I just watched a scene between the two of them in episode 6 where it's like the sweetest scene," he said. "I think Sarah's death pulls them closer together rather than further apart. That's not to say there aren't some significant moments of conflict between them also. I mean, that's one of the reasons we killed Sara off. The amount of story and richness that we get out of it…there's a scene in episode 2  where they're going at it and can't stand each other. And there's also a scene in episode 2 where they're the closest they've ever been. And it's all in the same episode." - X

Honestly, I don't know if I want to watch Oliver/Laurel's bipolar relationship... It's just tiresome especially with everything that went on in the first two seasons. 

Also I want to know what the 'sweetest' scene is... Hmmm

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

^ I assume it's related to that quote he spoiled." We used to date".

It's funny how they retcon almost anything according to their needs, but they can't help acknowledging Oliver and Laurel's history of lovers, friends and whatnot. I'd rather they ignored that. Ugh.

• Love 4

I've enjoyed BR's interviews so far too. People always act like shippers are rabid wolverines who want to cut anyone who comes between their couple, but BR proves it's possible to ingratiate yourself just by being self-deprecating about your character and self-aware of your role as "the spoiler." It was really funny to see how grounded he is about Ray, as compared to the OTT hyperbole by Kristin in the intro and her questions. 

I'm disappointed, though, to learn he hasn't had many scenes with SA yet. I'm more intrigued by the Ray/Oliver interaction than the Ray/Felicity interaction.

This makes me suspect that the R/F romance, whatever it might consist of, will be 3B. He's there, he's getting more and more into her over the fall, but she works for him after all. Which makes me think that maybe the Barry/Felicity thing does somehow...get back to Oliver. Maybe there is something to that during the crossover event timeframe. It'd be kind of odd for that to never come up again, and it isn't like Barry/Iris or Olicity are going to be resolved and at happy places where it's irrelevant by 3x08.

So I think 3B, we'll see something happen between Ray and Felicity, but of course he'll still be dealing with the not entirely honest beginning of their relationship. But I am of the strong personal opinion that Oliver is also still dealing with some sort of dishonesty at the beginning of his relationship with Felicity. At the very least he'll still be keeping whatever secrets he was considering telling her in 301.

I enjoy watching my OTP be put through their paces. I can happily side-ship Ray and Felicity, because ain't no way Olicity ain't endgame, so I'm not vexed at all.

Ideally, for me? They'll have a real relationship. Not one that can be easily blown off, either.

• Love 1

I hope not... I don't mind a couple of crossovers in a season, but Felicity going back and forth is just annoying.

yeah there's no reason why she would be in  Central City without diggle/oliver  the episode after the crossover.She was probably just hanging out with the flash cast. Just Jared probably meant "crossing over" like in real life, not on the show. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

I don't mind the crossover stuff if it doesn't require me to watch the other show to understand what's going on in the show I'm currently watching.  The EPs made it sound like there wouldn't be a need for fans to watch both shows to get what's happening, so I'm holding them to their promise.  I guess on the bright side though--just like The Flash is hoping to cherry pick some of the Arrow viewers by sending Felicity over there, maybe it will work both ways...even though that's only happy news to those of us still watching Arrow after the WTF moment that happened in the premiere.

Yeah I'm sure crossovers helps Arrow's views as well. Whose to say it didn't help the premiere which was up in viewers from last seasons? 

So far I like the Flash a lot so I don't mind crossovers at all. I just don't want too many. 

Edited by ban1o

How is Sara's death on Arrow going to affect Laurel and Oliver's relationship?

Producer Marc Guggenheim promises that their relationship won't take a hit in the aftermath of that brutal and shocking murder (which I'm still not over, BTW). "It's funny, I just watched a scene between the two of them in episode 6 where it's like the sweetest scene," he said. "I think Sarah's death pulls them closer together rather than further apart.

It's not that I expect Oliver and Laurel to not talk or have a relationship. But, I'm just surprised by the idea that there is so much to be mined from their scenes. Or them being around each other. I can think of alot of relationships on the show that would be more interesting to watch. And I would assume more creatively satisfying. Even in their "emmy worth" scenes I just didn't find them that entertaining. I guess we will see or not.

Edited by icandigit
  • Love 3

Is Ray jewish? 

edit: just saw the link...interesting. 

There seems to be some debate, but this is from another:

The Atom, Ray Palmer, is like a good bowl of Matzo ball soup after a very long Hagadah reading. He was co-created by Julius Schwartz, writer Gardner Fox and penciler Gil Kane. Schwartz is known as one of the greatest editors at DC. He brought many Golden Age characters to a new level of popularity in the 60’s, by giving them new science fiction origins leading to a reinvigoration of the superhero industry. Schwartz was a Jewish boy from the Bronx, the son of immigrants, who was awarded a gold watch with Hebrew letters in the place of numbers for being the smartest boy in Hebrew school (quite a big feat!). Julius Schwartz’s co-creation, The Atom, is a character whose mother is Jewish but who admits he is “not very religious.”

By Jewish law, Judaism is passed down from the mother, so therefore Palmer is fully Hebrew. In Justice League of America #188, Palmer learns more about his faith when he celebrates Hanukah with The Justice League. The story features Palmer comparing a miracle that happens to the Justice League to the miracle that happened to his Maccabean ancestors. In fact, The League shares similarities with the 12 tribes of Israel as each member contributes unique talents to work for the greater good.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/editorial/with-great-chutzpah-comes-great-responsibility-prominent-jewish-superheroes/48965

So if true, yet another way Ray is so very perfect for her...on paper.

Poor Oliver.

Edited by thecatbastet