Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I think this is an unspoken rule -- your lead needs more free time, you hire new people instead of giving the supporting regular cast more work, because the next thing you know, your supporting cast will be asking for more free time too. Two clear examples are Buffy and Smallville -- when SMG and Tom Welling asked for less shooting hours in latter seasons, they hired more people.

And with Arrow, there's the extra incentive from corporate to integrate more masks.

• Love 1

When SA mentioned asking for more time off to be with his family, IIRC he said that he was getting used to working a more condensed schedule, which indicates that the newbies aren't entirely picking up the slack for this time off, but that they're also fitting in more scenes for him during his allotted work time (at least, that's what it seemed like to me). 

• Love 7

Does she save him or like help him up?

26 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

When SA mentioned asking for more time off to be with his family, IIRC he said that he was getting used to working a more condensed schedule, which indicates that the newbies aren't entirely picking up the slack for this time off, but that they're also fitting in more scenes for him during his allotted work time (at least, that's what it seemed like to me). 

I had the same read on the quote.

I honestly thought the EPs recognized how superfluous Laurel was to the Team and that played in to her being the one in the grave, but I guess I was wrong since they added a lot more players.

• Love 4
Just now, Sakura12 said:

The noobs are shiny new toys they get to play with. 

Plus, since there's so many of them, they don't have to get too deep in the weeds on character development, which is something they don't seem to like doing. They can keep it pretty superficial since they have quite a few people to write for. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I guess i understand the Legacy part of the season. All these newbies are on LLs trajectory and are looking up to her path. Go into the field with little to no experience.

While I wouldn't be surprised if someone died (that's so Laurel!) I'd actually like it better if one of the newbies quit on their own. Was just like, "Nah, man, this is hard. I'm not built for this." I still fear that Paul will get axed because comics.

2 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I wonder if they're writing more of the masks in so Stephen can take the longer time off to be with his family like he asked. Maybe "Arrow" is actually shifting the focus away from him deliberately. Although I'd rather they spend more time with Felicity and Diggle rather than the masks . They're more interesting and I feel they have actually proved they can carry entire episodes on their own, but that's just me.

I'm happy for SA if that's true, but I wish they'd finish Oliver Queen's journey before starting on people I don't care about. I signed on to watch evolve from vigilante to hero, and I still think there's some story left there. If they were better writers. So I guess I'll should stick to fan fiction for character development. 

52 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I know WB is pushing to have TV use every possible character/masks they can in order to get tie in money. But man I'd be much happier with Human Target,  Constantine or even Vixen like appearances. Show up for an episode have a self contained story and then bye-bye.  

In between Mask of the Week stories, focus more attention on the other regulars, give them more scenes without Oliver so SA can have days/hours off.  Let's face it, Arrow doesn't know how to write for an ensemble so the more characters they throw in, the less likely any character gets decent development or storylines.

Ok, I'm done venting.

I'd much rather have more one off visits by past characters like Constantine or Vixen. Especially Constantine. That was the type of magic in the show that I could support. 

It is kind of a contradiction when they've been hammering home the fact that the show will focus on Oliver and is all about him (yeah, we get it) but then there's five new masks to set up, and that's on top of Thea, Felicity and Diggle supposedly having storylines too.

I understand the need to inject new things to keep it fresh but I've never wanted any of these newbies so I'm all pretty meh. I think it depends on how much they're used. It could be pretty funny to see O/F essentially being parents to these new baby vigilantes but there's always the tendency to focus too much on them. It's all about balance which Arrow has always had problems with. And I really don't want to see another s4 where Oliver basically shot one arrow while out in the field and the rest of the fighting was focused on Thea and Laurel. Please no. 

I'm still wondering where the hell Quentin fits in all of this? I think it's looking more and more likely that his place on the show is basically nothing, which might explain why he looked so annoyed at SDCC. IDK.

Edited by Guest

I'm willing to withhold judgement on how the new personalities fit into the team, but my first response to those pictures is "Those fight scenes are going to suck." My favorite was Oliver with Diggle and/or Sara battling opponents, but everything else has been underwhelming.  It's not only the number of people, but also the actor's attitude and physical presence.  Weirdly enough, I've always thought that Willa Holland pulled off the attitude better than Colton or Katie even though she is teeny tiny.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I honestly thought the EPs recognized how superfluous Laurel was to the Team and that played in to her being the one in the grave, but I guess I was wrong since they added a lot more players.

I think LL being superfluous was only one reason the show got rid of her. It's becoming more obvious (to me) that money was just as big of a reason. They're getting 3 recurring sidekicks-- 3 fresh slates that they can write for, 3 actors that aren't going around spouting their own headcanons that don't jive with the writers and EPS-- for the price of 1 KC. 4 if we include Curtis being promoted to regular status.

• Love 8

They have said similar things in the past (re: every single season) and have yet to really deliver, so I'm not holding my breath for this. I'm still waiting for them to follow through on Felicity wanting to use PT and the chip to help other disabled people. Or follow up on any other thing that has happened to her. Even EBR has said in the past that she doesn't ask about things for Felicity because the EPs rarely follow through on it/things change. Remember when we were supposed to get info on her family in season two? Which was dropped until one episode in season three and then nothing until season four. #Bitter 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 9

I honestly don't know what to think about that. I don't think she'll ever jump in on the action because MG was pretty adamant about that (not that his word ever sticks but it's something I just never see happening). And I don't want her to wear a mask either, even though it's ironic considering EBR is probably the most naturally athletic of all. But I wouldn't mind seeing her come out of the bunker once in a while and I'd love a O/F stunt like we had in s2. 

And I still think Felicity should have basic self-defense training. 

But seriously, no clue what that means. Could be anything. But at least it's about herself and no one else for a change.

Edited by Guest

Sort of unrelated to MG's answer, but has anyone besides EBR mentioned anything about the chip at all? I feel like SA or someone maybe mentioned something about it at a con, but I can't remember if A) that actually happened or B) it was an actual thing that was planned, or just something he thought would be cool. 

I'm 99.99% positive a costume is off the table. It's a never say never thing but I don't see that ever happening. Since that is, IMO, removed I am so excited about this spoiler.

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Sort of unrelated to MG's answer, but has anyone besides EBR mentioned anything about the chip at all? I feel like SA or someone maybe mentioned something about it at a con, but I can't remember if A) that actually happened or B) it was an actual thing that was planned, or just something he thought would be cool. 

I only remember it coming from EBR.

I don't see PT or the chip getting much investment from the EPs. They seem to have lost interest. 

1 minute ago, Chaser said:

I only remember it coming from EBR.

I don't see PT or the chip getting much investment from the EPs. They seem to have lost interest. 

Thank you - I didn't think the chip had anything to do with this particular spoiler, but I had been thinking about it lately and wasn't sure if Emily was the only one who ever talked about it. I figured we'd get a passing mention of it at most.

30 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Echo mentioned it at HVFF during his panel with KL. IIRC, someone the moderator asked him about Curtis's involvement with the chip "curing" Felicity's paralysis, and he said that he thinks the chip will be addressed.

Moderator: We actually have quite a few listeners who are wheelchair bound, and they said, you know, "we are so thankful that Arrow addressed that. The whole idea of somebody being in a wheelchair" and they loved the challenge and the story that Felicity went through, but were a little frustrated at how fast she got up and walked off. Is this something we're going to see  continue to develop in season 5? Is the implant still a storyline, or has it kind of been--

Echo: I think they'll touch on that, in some regards. [And then he starts talking about new tech in real life that's similar to the idea of biostimulator chip on the show)

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

Oh yeah - MG didn't say anything to imply that she was going to suit up or "get in on the action" at all. It seems like the answer was cobbled together by answers MG gave in other interviews, so I'm not even sure what MG was talking about when he gave those answers - I'm just vehemently against her suiting up/fighting/whatever, haha. 

Am I imagining it or did they get rid of the PT set? If so, that kinda implies that anything related to PT (including the chip) is pretty much pushed aside, at least for now.

7 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Am I imagining it or did they get rid of the PT set? If so, that kinda implies that anything related to PT (including the chip) is pretty much pushed aside, at least for now.

No, I remember someone (ebr?) saying that the PT set was gone. I'm assuming the space/set will be used for office in Supergirl? 

• Love 1

I'm not going to look too much into the particulars of what MG said and what he means. I'm just really glad to hear news about Felicity at all. And that it sets her up for something big in 5B, which I think the writers/EPs are starting to plan for right now.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

No, I remember someone (ebr?) saying that the PT set was gone. I'm assuming the space/set will be used for office in Supergirl? 

She said it was being used for something else and that they could always put it back to PT if needed

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

She said it was being used for something else and that they could always put it back to PT if needed

Hopefully the situation is more like the Diggles' apartment, and less like what happened to Big Belly.

34 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I'm not going to look too much into the particulars of what MG said and what he means. I'm just really glad to hear news about Felicity at all. And that it sets her up for something big in 5B, which I think the writers/EPs are starting to plan for right now.

This tease ticked a lot of boxes for me. I wanted something on Felicity that was new new. Not something Olicity-related, not a leftover from last season (Havenrock), not something on her Family.

I'm pretty happy with this.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chaser said:

Part of adding all the new people is being able to use them as cannon fodder. I'm legit convinced one of them ends up dead or incapacitated by the end of the season and probably sooner. Although I do like this idea by @calliope1975 better. It's something we haven't really seen before. Roy was forced to walk away by circumstances and I don't think anyone expects for Thea's leave of absence to be permanent.

3 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

While I wouldn't be surprised if someone died (that's so Laurel!) I'd actually like it better if one of the newbies quit on their own. Was just like, "Nah, man, this is hard. I'm not built for this." I still fear that Paul will get axed because comics.

9 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I guess i understand the Legacy part of the season. All these newbies are on LLs trajectory and are looking up to her path. Go into the field with little to no experience.

You forgot to mention raid some costume store going out of business and grab the silliest looking one off the rack.

Perhaps they believe in safety in numbers. Move in a mob and no one will hurt you.

• Love 1

I'm really excited for the MG spoiler compilation of something big coming for FS r/t EBR's out of show training.

I don't care whether she dons a mask & leather, a sexy outfit or even a potato sack. I'm tired of FS being stuck in the bunker on comms, while everybody else gets to go out and have fun. Cutting back to her on comms worked when it was just OTA. She worked behind the scenes, Dig & OQ worked the field. It made tactical & visual sense. But now that everybody and their newest playground pal gets to be out in the field, it just doesn't feel right that FS stays in the bunker all the time. Majority of what she does with her brain superpower can be done from anywhere, they should utilize her versatility & flexibility. Also EBR looks like she could be a phenomenal addition to the stunts, so why not use her skills?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, looptab said:

This. Undercover. Gimme.

My one condition is that Oliver and the audience knows she's undercover rather than making us or him think she's gone evil or something.

“We’re positioning her to do something in the second half of the year that is really, really key, and that isn’t about her relationship with Oliver or even necessarily her father or her mother. It’s really new territory for her, and we’ve very excited about it. Some big things are going to happen with Felicity.”

What I bolded makes me wonder if whatever she is doing is at least sparked by something that comes from her parents.  Dad being a criminal for hire opens up all kinds of options.  Mom would urge her to follow her gut or take a chance or right some wrong.  Maybe we're all over connecting it to the question of stunt action and it's just taking some kind of a step.  Like maybe starting her own company? 

• Love 2

Honestly, I'll be shocked if they actually give Felicity something beyond a one-shot like when she went undercover in a Big Belly outfit to hack MM's server.  It just seems like the sort of tease they  use to hook us in and then go full steam ahead on the masks.

6 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'm willing to withhold judgement on how the new personalities fit into the team, but my first response to those pictures is "Those fight scenes are going to suck." My favorite was Oliver with Diggle and/or Sara battling opponents, but everything else has been underwhelming.  It's not only the number of people, but also the actor's attitude and physical presence. 

For a show that can do individual fight scenes so well, their group fight scenes suck unbearably.

17 hours ago, looptab said:

I wouldn't say that they didn't build up the mystery of who's in the grave. I don't think it was conceived as mistery, but anyway,  the hundreds pages of speculation are a proof of that. They pretty much dropped anvils for each of the characters, half the audience fell for the midseason finale's ending - math be damned - and even after the pics of the funeral leaked, even spoiled people kept guessing.

I do think they handled that well.  It kept us super-spoiled guessing a lot, and it shocked everyone else.  It's hard to pull off something like that Moira's death was a shock, not something we were waiting for all season) and I think they did a pretty good job.

11 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

IIIRC, WM has said that Laurel's last words (the same stuff Diggle and Felicity have been saying to him for years about not going it alone) were going to carry out through what seems like the end of the series? So I kind of got the impression that the days of a smaller team were gone, and that there was going to be a cast of characters in the field in addition to Diggle, Oliver, (and I'm assuming Thea). Maybe not the same masked people from season to season - apart from Curtis - but masked people nonetheless. 

I'm pretty sure that not all the newbies are going to last, and if they're finally going to see who works and who doesn't instead of killing one off by whim (cough::Sara::cough) then good for them.

Although saying the first nine episodes are going to be all about Oliver while adding all this new cast seems contradictory..

• Love 5
7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

My one condition is that Oliver and the audience knows she's undercover rather than making us or him think she's gone evil or something.

I agree with this, but do you really think they would pass up the occasion for a 'gotcha'? :p

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Would working for Argus count as something new and key?

That would work for me as well :)

18 hours ago, HighHopes said:

Supergirl released a little video showing that the office sets for Supergirl are in a separate soundstage that's going to be holding a number of different standing Supergirl sets - including the CatCo offices, Kara's office and Kara's apartment. They were building the sets just before the actors took off for SDCC - the lack of sets was one reason why Supergirl started filming a bit later than Arrow and Flash.  The QC/PT set was over on the main Arrow soundstage; the actors said it was being repurposed but didn't say into what.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, quarks said:

Supergirl released a little video showing that the office sets for Supergirl are in a separate soundstage that's going to be holding a number of different standing Supergirl sets - including the CatCo offices, Kara's office and Kara's apartment. They were building the sets just before the actors took off for SDCC - the lack of sets was one reason why Supergirl started filming a bit later than Arrow and Flash.  The QC/PT set was over on the main Arrow soundstage; the actors said it was being repurposed but didn't say into what.

Ah, I didn't know about the video Supergirl released! I just heard that the PT set was "gone", and with Supergirl moving to Vancouver and needing an office set I assumed that's where the set went to. 

I wonder what the PT set became...