Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Question: When MG said that Laurel was going to be the worst fighter out of everyone who goes out in the field, and that she's not going to be very good at being BC, and that she's going to find out that it takes more than a suit to make a hero and she's going to have to find another way to be a hero, what do you think that means? 

Do you think it'll all be tied up in those three eps of her arc (Suzanne Gomez did tweet that the writers had touched on "every part of a superhero's journey," or some other kind of nonsense), or do you think that she's going to decide that superheroing isn't for her, at least in the vigilante sense, and rededicate herself to the law? Or is she going to decide she's not ready, then train some more, and be "ready" at the end of the season? Or do you think that was just talk that won't be reflected in the narrative?

I can see her maybe deciding not to continue once Oliver comes back because it won't be 'necessary' as MG deems it, and she'll probably be feeling worn down and defeated. And then something will happen a few episodes later and she'll be all like 'I miss it, it awakened something in me, for the first time in forever I felt good' blah blah blah. Or she'll say that at the end of the three episode BC arc and want to continue even if she sucks at it. I am picturing longing and lingering camera shots at her leather buckle canary suit hanging up in her bedroom.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2

oh man, now I am picturing Laurel hanging up the BC costume in her living room, and bringing friends over.  "What, oh that?  Shhh, its a secret."  And Angel12d is totally right, I can see them subjecting us to a slow pan of her gazing at it, just like the did the freaking jacket. 

Gah, you know what I dread?  If she decides she can't wear it while Quentin is alive.  Cause then you know they will totally do as described above, and we might as well start a Quentin death watch.  Please no.

• Love 2

Actually, IMO, if they insist on Laurel being the Canary they never should have made Sara the Canary first. That way Laurel wouldn't have something to 'live up to', which I don't think she can ever do.

• Love 15

Holy hell, I'm going through the Spoilers thread, and Guggenheim uses the word "epic" a lot!  The Climb was the most epic episode they've ever done, The Climb featured one of the most epic fights they've ever done, Felicity's reaction when she finds out Oliver's dead is epic, Slade's return in 14 makes the episode feel epic, and the Diggle/Laurel scene in episode 10 is epic.  Please learn some new adjectives.

• Love 8

I think that as long as KC is on the show, she'll be the Black Canary (whatever that means). I mean, c'mon, she's using the pic of Laurel in BC costume as her twitter avatar: https://twitter.com/mzkatiecassidy

I agree with that. The question for me is not - "will Laurel be BC?" - it's how far will TPTB go in their determination to keep her on the show at all costs? If this whole BC arc just does not work, will they finally give in and write her out at the end of the season, or will they continue to try to force the issue at the expense of the other characters and relationships on the show?

Honestly I just don't have any idea. :(

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I really do think they'll keep her even if ratings drop.  As long as the rest of the show is good, I don't think that many people will stop watching unless they make it the Green Arrow/Black Canary hour and I hope they're at least smart enough not to do that.  With all the hype they're giving her (Laurel as the only female hero the show cares about really burns) this doesn't feel like something they're doing just because it's in her contract.

I think that unless KC gets offered her own show, Buckle Canary is here to stay.

• Love 2

Agree with @statsgirl. I honestly don't think she's going nowhere. Laurel as BC is here to stay whether it works or not.

I agree. I think they'll keep trying to "fix" her and very special Lance episodes will continue to be "epic" and buried in the dregs of January.

• Love 2

Hi! I’m new here :)
I Just wanted to give my two cents. I agree with what drspaceman10 said. I think if this BC Canary story line doesn’t change people opinions about Laurel's character, they are going to let her go. It fells like an all in. I don’t think they are going to renew her contract as a female lead if this storyline doesn’t work. After all shows are today more about money and less about story lines. She is in theory the actual “lead” female and for this she is probably getting paid more then the other supporting characters. Plus this year her contract is probably ending. It feels to me like they are rushing her story line as BC so, if this doesn’t go like they planned, they however did sort of complete her storyline. I can see the EPs let her go and maybe calling her in the next season only for random big episodes to fight alongside the Arrow. Anyway just my opinion :)
And sorry for my English. English it’s not my first language.

• Love 10

It fells like an all in. I don’t think they are going to renew her contract as a female lead if this storyline doesn’t work. After all shows are today more about money and less about story lines. She is in theory the actual “lead” female and for this she is probably getting paid more then the other supporting characters. Plus this year her contract is probably ending. It feels to me like they are rushing her story line as BC so, if this doesn’t go like they planned, they however did sort of complete her storyline.

That makes sense and explains the rush to put her in the costume and out in the field, which even MG acknowledges is too soon.

(I were I was as good in my second language as you are in English.)

Edited by statsgirl

I'm prone to believe this is their last ditch effort to make Laurel happen as well. The cynical in me, however, tends to also believe that they're not looking for bonafide success, or even critical praise for KC, or the BC arc. Anything just one step above "this sucks" will do.

And if all fails, they'll probably option KC for recurring status next season, for when they need Justice League stuff to happen.

• Love 4

I would love to believe that this is the last ditch attempt to make Laurel relevant, but damn I was burned last season.  For me, several signs were pointing to them getting rid of Laurel during season 2, but we ended up doubling down instead.  Ugh!  She's probably here to stay even if she's an EPIC fail.

• Love 4

The cynical in me, however, tends to also believe that they're not looking for bonafide success, or even critical praise for KC, or the BC arc. Anything just one step above "this sucks" will do.

In terms of the general audience, yeah, that's what I think too.  The KC/LL and adamant comic books fans will like it no matter how it turns out because it's their canon.

• Love 1

I would love to believe that this is the last ditch attempt to make Laurel relevant, but damn I was burned last season. For me, several signs were pointing to them getting rid of Laurel during season 2, but we ended up doubling down instead.

I'm in the same position. I was pretty convinced they were going to get rid of her last season, and then later, even up to the jacket passing scene, I thought that they would keep Sara as BC and do something else with Laurel. And wow was I burned. So I'm hesitant to even go there. And yet, quite a lot about the abrupt offing of Sara and the rush to BC makes more sense if it is indeed an all in as lamortimer47 says. If it doesn't work, they can indeed say the BC story is complete and put her on a bus.

I don't know. Without knowing more about how this Canary arc will play out, it's hard to say. :( I'm just very curious to see how the back half of this season really does end up playing out though. From a distance. ;)

• Love 1

The music doesn't suit the tone of the promo lol :p That's like the only thing I noticed. Otherwise it looks okay. Not sure about Vinnie right now but hopefully he's a good villain. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

Posted new trailer in spoilers

I will of course be watching it, but that didn't get me too excited to tune in, haha.

The music doesn't suit the tone of the promo lol :p That's like the only thing I noticed. Otherwise it looks okay. Not sure about Vinnie right now but hopefully he's a good villain. 

They should've had a dead Oliver promo with sad music or something, and then one with most everything else in this one. They made it seem like...I don't know, almost like no one cared that Oliver was dead, they just got on with it.

• Love 5

yeah the music was kinda strange. It should have been more sad music. Nothing in the trailer got me super exited to be honest, but I'll still watch of course. The promos are really short. Flash got two 30 second promos.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 2

The promo looks okay...I thought it'd be more "epic" ;)

Yeah that's my thing. Like  the promo is decent but I was expecting some huge epic thing lol.

Wait this was the short version right? They will probably release the extended 30 second one at like 1 am in the morning then lol. Maybe that one will be more "epic"

Edited by ban1o

Usually Arrow promos are really good, even if the subsequent episodes aren't that great...maybe the promo being underwhelming is not a good sign.

Maybe they're limiting what they're showing and that's why it seems so off? I was just expecting something more emotional, I guess, not all the "action" stuff with Roy, Ray and Laurel. Although I guess that's what we're in for with Oliver gone, so...I don't know why I thought it would be different.

• Love 1

Of course the Music didn't sound right for that promo who cares that Oliver is "Dead", Diggle "Lost" his Brother and Best friend and that Felicity "Lost" the man she loves its all about shoving Guggenheim's favorite Laurel aka Fakanary, Roy and Ray to the front to Hell with actually giving a lot of screen time to OG Team Arrow members Felicity and Diggle who besides Oliver the majority of fans care about.

• Love 2

Maybe they're limiting what they're showing and that's why it seems so off? I was just expecting something more emotional, I guess, not all the "action" stuff with Roy, Ray and Laurel. Although I guess that's what we're in for with Oliver gone, so...I don't know why I thought it would be different.

they did say episode 10 would be an emotional episode. They pobably just thought that would be boring in the trailers. the promo for "Sara" was more on the emotional side and that was the lowest rated episode this season so maybe CW thought that they should make the promos more action packed instead. 

• Love 1

I sure hope so but getting Laurel and Ray shoved down our throats will not be enjoyable

To be fair it's not like Diggle and Felicity were barely in the promo. They were in it just as much as Laurel and Ray were. Also the extended promo will probably show more stuff I think. This was only like 19 seconds long.  And if Laurel wasn't in the promo we would all be making fun of it lol. 

But yeah Ray was unnecessary. Don't care about him that much. But apparently a lot of the male (and female I guess) comic-book fans are excited from him. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

Let's hope the Extended Promo shows more. I don't get why MG thinks the majority of fans are thirsty for Laurel and Ray. They likely want the Oliver less episodes to feature Felicity and Diggle more not Laurel Ray and Roy

• Love 1

they did say episode 10 would be an emotional episode. They pobably just thought that would be boring in the trailers. the promo for "Sara" was more on the emotional side and that was the lowest rated episode this season so maybe CW thought that they should make the promos more action packed instead. 

Yeah, I don't doubt that it will be emotional, it's just that the promo was not at all what I was expecting after the leader of the team "died." It was like a promo for any other episode of the show, only with Laurel dressed up and Ray Iron Manning it up instead of Oliver out and about doing his thing. I could even deal with it being more action-y if it seemed like some of it might've been related to Oliver, or if someone said something about carrying on in his name or...something.

Maybe in the extended promo.

Edited by apinknightmare

Yeah, I don't doubt that it will be emotional, it's just that the promo was not at all what I was expecting after the leader of the team "died." It was like a promo for any other episode of the show, only with Laurel dressed up and Ray Iron Manning it up instead of Oliver out and about doing his thing. I could even deal with it being more action-y if it seemed like some of it might've been related to Oliver, or if someone said something about carrying on in his name or...something.

Maybe in the extended promo.

yeah I don't think the promo was great. Decent, yes, but not great.  I thought they would focus more on the reaction to Oliver`s death and such. And even the action scenes were really small glimpses that didn't really make sense. Just coming up with reasoning for why it`s that way.  Hopefully the extended promo is better.

Edited by ban1o

But yeah Ray was unnecessary. Don't care about him that much. But apparently a lot of the male (and female I guess) comic-book fans are excited from him. 

you mean all 20-something-thousand of them? :p Which incidentally is about less than 5% of the total viewers. I really don't care for Ray either. I'd much rather focus on the main cast than this guy who was just plopped into the show for pretty much the only reason to tick Oliver off. 

To be fair it's not like Diggle and Felicity were barely in the promo. They were in it just as much as Laurel and Ray were. Also the extended promo will probably show more stuff I think. This was only like 19 seconds long.  And if Laurel wasn't in the promo we would all be making fun of it lol. 

Lmao you're right. If Laurel wasn't in it I'd be laughing my ass off :p I don't mind Laurel in this, all she did was look pissed off and kick someone's butt (supposedly), which is essentially what we all expected. 

• Love 3

Lmao you're right. If Laurel wasn't in it I'd be laughing my ass off :p I don't mind Laurel in this, all she did was look pissed off and kick someone's butt (supposedly), which is essentially what we all expected. 

I could be wrong because it happened really fast, but it looked like Laurel was kicking someone who was already on the ground. Which is about what I would expect from her, which was nice. That's so Laurel!

• Love 6

Put me in the category of those who went "haaa?" when the promo started and that weird song came on.... it took me completely out of it mostly because I was too busy trying to get over the "what were they thinking" that was going through my head.

I think there was alot less in second of buckle canary than of team arrow - which is totally fine.

and since i am one of those 20 (though am not a comic reader) who do like Ray i didn't mind seeing him. i'll take Ray over buckle canary any day.

here's to a better extended promo!

• Love 1

haha exactly. Like when the episode description came out people pointed out how she was almost tacked on to the description. If she wasn't in the promo that would be Hilarious but it would look bad. They had to put her in the promo. 

and since i am one of those 20 (though am not a comic reader) who do like Ray i didn't mind seeing him. i'll take Ray over buckle canary any day.

I don't mind Ray. I think Brandon Routh is charismatic. I'm just indifferent to him becoming Atom haha. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

tumblr_nhu871hPSi1r5ono0o1_500.gif

She is doing the finger thingy again :(

Come on wardrobe people, did Felicity really have to wear a screaming hot pink dress when she got the news of Oliver's death?I don't want her to play a widow or something but it was not with the mood. Łike they made her wear the brightest orange in Sara.

• Love 1