Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Not being all that familiar with Artemis (certainly not all the different versions), I'm disappointed in the casting and backstory.  Ah, GB and his vision of diversity...

More than that, however, is yet another suit.  The show has not done a good job, at all, of balancing suits and non-suits when it comes to story and promotion.  Of course, there's little Arrow promotion anyway.  If Curtis gets his suit in Season 5, and Adrian Chase gets his, then that means Felicity and Lyla are the only ones without suits.  Which is fine with me because I strongly believe they don't need them to be heroic.  But the show (and the CW, the WB and DC?) loves suits and this is yet another casting that seems to directly contradict what both Stephen Amell and David Ramsey have said in public, recently.   None of the new casting news brings the show 'back to basics' so any enthusiasm I had for a scaled down from S4 magic/metahuman to more grounded is GONE.

Furthermore, yet another archer.  Why?  Last season already stretched my patience of seeing medieval weaponry used to take out a modern villain toying with nuclear weapons... Does another archer signify a return to Arrow's old school methods?  How skilled will she be?  Will he train her? Will she, Thea and Roy be like Young Justice/Team B?

So many questions and I suppose that's a step up from being apathetic.

Still waiting for Season 5 news that will move the show from my DVR to Must Watch Live.  Hasn't happened yet.

10 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Don't know him (I don't watch TWD) but I hope the villain of the year is a great one to watch!  I love Neal McD but felt things went off for part of last season.  Not sure where to set my expectation level for this character and actor yet.  Looking forward to reading other reactions here.

• Love 1

Okay, that's a baller move getting Chad Coleman. He's so great at this acting thing.

Also, the fact that they wanted Stringer Bell from The Wire, and ended up getting Cutty from The Wire to play him amuses me.

• Love 2

Neal McDonough ended up with a special Guest star status but that was really recurring with a different name.

I think there is still a chance that the new Vigilantes may end up the big bad of the season. Oliver will be fighting extreme versions of his season 1 self. 

• Love 2

The show has not done a good job, at all, of balancing suits and non-suits when it comes to story and promotion.  

It's not trying to do a good job of balancing the two.  It's trying to leverage DC properties - that is, characters associated with suits - since those are the properties that are associated with a major WB brand (superheroes) and alternative media (the existing comics), with merchandising and cross-promotional film potential.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, writersblock51 said:

Furthermore, yet another archer.  Why?  Last season already stretched my patience of seeing medieval weaponry used to take out a modern villain toying with nuclear weapons... Does another archer signify a return to Arrow's old school methods?  How skilled will she be?  Will he train her? Will she, Thea and Roy be like Young Justice/Team B?

Wouldn't this be typical of Green Arrow, anyway? Just like the Flash's archenemies/allies would also be speedsters, and Superman's, aliens.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Trini said:

Wouldn't this be typical of Green Arrow, anyway? Just like the Flash's archenemies/allies would also be speedsters, and Superman's, aliens.

So you think Artemis will be a villain (or an antihero like the Huntress) instead of part of the team?  I could live with that, but I'd like to know who the hell is teaching her archery in that case.

Ooooh, maybe cray-cray Malcolm gets fed-up with Thea over the break and "adopts" this new girl. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

So you think Artemis will be a villain (or an antihero like the Huntress) instead of part of the team?  I could live with that, but I'd like to know who the hell is teaching her archery in that case.

Ooooh, maybe cray-cray Malcolm gets fed-up with Thea over the break and "adopts" this new girl. 

I'm just saying, it's a Green Arrow show, there are going to be archers.
Anyway, it sounds like she's going to have a role similar to Roy/Arsenal; so archery lessons (from Oliver?) seem likely.

7 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

It's super icky for me to think of Thea as Artemis because ~in the comics~ [and Young Justice], Roy is romantically involved with Artemis' sister. They have a kid and everything.

Technically it was clone Roy that dated Chesire, Artemis's sister.  All's fair in love and clones, right?

4 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I feel like since Oliver is getting Wild Dog as his protegee, Evelyn will be forming a duo with Thea.

I'd like this for a Thea story but...

1 hour ago, TrueMyth said:

This, with Malcolm getting his hands on her first seems even  more likely.  There has to be some connection between Malcolm and Thea and if she felt some kind of obligation to save the girl from his clutches I can see a compelling story, especially if in the end she does wrestle her back to the good side and take her under her wing as her side kick. 

And now I've probably raised my expectations waaaaay too high. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, quarks said:

It's not trying to do a good job of balancing the two.  It's trying to leverage DC properties - that is, characters associated with suits - since those are the properties that are associated with a major WB brand (superheroes) and alternative media (the existing comics), with merchandising and cross-promotional film potential.

Point taken.

I guess my not-well-worded point was that if everyone is special in their suits then that kind of diminishes the value of what 'special' means - especially for our lead and title Hero.   Likewise if there are a lot of archers (good and evil) on the show.  My personal opinion is that Oliver stopped being the best fighter (still vulnerable at times) on the show as more people came on board.  By the time Diggle, Roy, Sarah and Laurel were part of the mix, the fight scenes seemed very crowded.  And Oliver did not stand out in any way.

Diggle is an elite soldier-fighter.  His tactical skills seem to be better than Oliver's.  When the two of them are fighting as a team, you can see how they each have their strengths and weaknesses.  They can be beaten but it would not be easy to take them both down.  Adding a one or 2 more team members can be effective for some scenes but I often felt that the stage was too crowded.  Perhaps it was more about how those bigger scenes were filmed, I don't know.

If Artemis becomes evil, that would be more interesting.  There is potential for this character to go in a few different directions and it seems like there are options as to who could influence her. 

However, her story is not one I'm invested in.  I'd much rather see more about the characters that I like to watch.  For example, I'm hoping Thea gets a story in S5 that pulls her out of being under Oliver or Malcolm's shadow and more in line with what she wants for herself.  I got the impression from the end of Season 4 that things may be heading that way for her.

It's very nice to see positive response about the casting of the villain.  I'm not familiar with him at all.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TrueMyth said:

That's what I'm wondering. She wasn't exactly a villain when we first met her, and in the end Oliver managed to sway her. I agree with the idea that she might be sort of a copycat, more Roy of the beginning - sticking his nose where he shouldn't have - rather than Cupid-like, to be clear.

I don't know this actor they cast as the new villain, but what you guys had to say about him sounds promising. The only concern is the introduction in the premiere again, I hope they find a way to keep him relevant and menacing throughout the whole season. Maybe we meet him, but Oliver doesn't yet.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

These new masks feel like network or studio mandates to me. I know Stephen said Arrow wasn't launching new characters or spinoffs this season but I don't know, man, is he sure about that? Just waaaaayyyy too many masks already and the season hasn't even started yet. Here's the current count: Speedy, Wild Dog and Artemis. In the wings: Curtis. Possible: the new DA Adrian Chase.

I think its just the New World Order. The age of the character may be a network mandate since Arrow is getting up there agewise on the cast for the CW. But the masks imo are all the Berlantiverse choices & desires. I think we should just expect that by the end of the series the only person without a mask will be Felicity. And even that I wouldn't hold my breath. If the show lasts beyond 6 seasons I so expect FS to be dawning a mask & hitting the streets in the 7th season.

11 hours ago, TrueMyth said:

This makes an interesting prospect... throw Carrie & Anarky in the mix and they could have this dysfunctional family unit that goes around being cray-cray and destructive. It'll be like the Brady Bunch only with a lot more snark.

• Love 2

IGN said something about the big bad attempting to unite all the criminal enterprises under his own command, so I'm wondering if we'll meet him in 501 to introduce his big plan and then just see him here and there for a while. Instead we'll focus on the smaller criminal enterprises, kind of street level stuff, and Oliver/Team Arrow trying to take them down first. That would make more sense to me. 

Probably won't happen now. Haha.

That seem like a good plan and would be similar to other Big Bad, but too much a redo of DD's all-star villain line-up in s4. Rather than actually try to unite the criminal enterprises, I would love to see s5 Big Bad pit the other criminal enterprises against each other, so he can have the competition take each other out. Team Arrow can spend their time fighting the bad guys. However, if the bad guys also take each other out that would be a nice twist. Then in s5b he can come in and unite what's left standing, that way he doesn't extend himself or risk valuable assets taking down the leaders of the other groups. And we don't have to see the same TA group fight scene every week that accomplished nothing because its not time for Big Bad to be defeated. 

I also wonder at what point are they just going to let SC burn to the ground? Not to sound like the Genesis People, because I don't believe in nuclear cleansing ~ but SC is in major need of a rebirth, not just a new name & signs. One of these seasons everything just needs to be destroyed, so that we can make SC a place people actually want to be in again. I agree with Curtis's Mom, nobody should be willingly living in SC at this point. I do question why people & industry still live there. Perhaps this new crime lord can raze enough area, that by s6 we can actually have a SC worth living in again.

Well if they are going to do a statue, they might as well have her with her arms crossed... at least that would be accurate & representative.

Seriously, they really plan on a statue? Hopefully, it's using LL's life insurance policies because there is no way SC should spend a penny of their budget on a statue when the entire city is in desperate need of repairs after years of May destruction.

• Love 6

Are they serious? What did Laurel as Black Canary do that was that amazing that she deserves a statue? 

Or is their way of making up for killing an iconic comic character (that was nothing like the actual comic character). 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just find it kind of funny/insulting that she was basically BC for five minutes and gets a statue in her honor and yet Oliver has been fighting for the city for 4 years and...nothing. Nice. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 17
Just now, Angel12d said:

I just find it kind of funny/insulting that she was basically BC for five minutes and gets a statue in her honor and yet Oliver has been fighting for 4 years and...nothing. Nice. 

And not to mention the fact that as far as they know the Green Arrow single-handedly took out the guy who just tried to destroy their city/the world with nukes, lmao. That's so Star City!

• Love 8
(edited)

I mean, I can endure this fan service and making her more than she was. As long as it stays that way. Ya feel? ;P

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

And not to mention the fact that as far as they know the Green Arrow single-handedly took out the guy who just tried to destroy their city/the world with nukes, lmao. That's so Star City!

I could rage punch something for how much the writers disrespect their own hero. Smh.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 8

It's not suprising. They love glorifing the failed character after they're gone from the show. Like Ray getting the city renamed because of him even though he just spent all his time building his suit and that's it.I find it funny how for all the other characters it's important what's behind the mask and their real self not getting lost but for Laurel it's all about being BC.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I just find it kind of funny/insulting that she was basically BC for five minutes and gets a statue in her honor and yet Oliver has been fighting for the city for 4 years and...nothing. Nice. 

2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Well....ok, that I can kind of see.  I think dead heroes are more likely to have statues built for them than live heroes  (not always but still).  And Oliver, being mayor, might be more likely to kill any idea of a statue for himself than for Laurel.  

That said.....seriously, how long are they going to keep eulogizing her?  Maybe it will be one scene in the premiere and never again, but I thought after all the references to her in the season finale, particularly the scene with Oliver at her grave, that we were going to finally move on.

• Love 10

Let's be honest, in many ways this is not much different from other seasons. LL will be there in the background standing like a statue... only this statue is probably cheaper. It's actually quite meta. :)

I wonder if this one will have an on/off switch as well? Is this statue going to be method as well? I truly hope it captures her eyelashes because those were critical to her mission. If you're all one color does it count as matching or is it too matchy-matchy?

• Love 7
(edited)
37 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Hopefully they fix the date, too, since she died in 2016. 

Nah, the premiere aired in 2015 ;)

27 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm sorry, but I did just not expect this ongoing canonization of Laurel.  WTF writers.

Count me among those who thought the worshipping of Saint Laurel would end with S4. Let's hope  it's like the Ray thing with the name of the city, we see that in the premiere and never again.

Though, if it is a paperweight and not a statue, will that be on Oliver's desk? LOL

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1