Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

We had Sara/Black Canary and Oliver/Green Arrow fighting side by side many times (both in and out of costume) and it was awesome. And made complete sense because they were at a similar skill set.  

• Love 2

I thought he answered that we'd see them fighting together in the next ep? The preview indicates that's true.

I didn't watch the preview, but you're right.  I thought he was talking about the season premiere, but he was talking about this week's episode (I was wondering why he mentioned them fighting together in the opening moments of the episode because that didn't actually happen last week).  Reading comprehension is good.

We had Sara/Black Canary and Oliver/Green Arrow fighting side by side many times (both in and out of costume) and it was awesome. And made complete sense because they were at a similar skill set.  

Haa! but if you ask the comics fans they'll say that it wasn't really BC and GA because Sara is called The Canary and Oliver was called The Arrow - insert eyeroll and facepalm.

• Love 2

I'm really hoping Laurel and Oliver don't have any trouble working missions, because if they do, that becomes a plot point that needs to be addressed. They're already doing that particular storyline with Diggle and Oliver, there's no point in doing it twice.

• Love 2

CW Arrow tweeted that 402 comic preview again, but this time with a new comment that I find strange, considering the comic preview primarily focuses on Laurel/BC, but the comment is about OTA and Felicity...

https://twitter.com/CW_Arrow/status/653663751636254720

The above CW Arrow tweet was then retweeted by the Arrow writers...

https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/653683740955176960

That's because whoever's in charge of @CW_Arrow is usually too busy tweeting about Flash to learn what OTA even means. They probably meant Team Arrow, which now includes BC, but used Original Team Arrow instead. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

Watched a few previews and tomorrow's episode looks really boring.  I think I'm only gonna watch to see Curtis's introduction.  And, then of course I have to watch the third episode because I feel like that one's gonna be completely terrible and have a high potential for snarky comments.  Last season kind of killed all of my enthusiasm for this show, bleh.

• Love 1

IDK They favorited a tweet saying that the real OTA was Oliver/Diggle/Felicity so I think they were just referring to them and not LL? Which again, would be weird considering the highlight of that comic preview. 

• Love 1

It gets messy when you try to please mutiple groups. You generally end up pleasing no one. First they tweeted the pic and then OTA fans were up in arms, so they faved that one tweet, which pissed off Laurel fans so the LL gifs get a retweet, which then pissed off some anti-Laurel fans. That was so just so much fun. Eye-roll.

I'm really hoping Laurel and Oliver don't have any trouble working missions, because if they do, that becomes a plot point that needs to be addressed. They're already doing that particular storyline with Diggle and Oliver, there's no point in doing it twice.

I'm thinking Oliver finds out about Sara in 4x04. They fight. 4x05 they come to an understanding. That is that. Friendly co-workers.

• Love 3

I fully understand the logic of everyone on TA having and using code names but it sounds so silly and awkward to me when they refer to one another that way out in the field. It just doesn't sound natural to me. The exception to this is 'Speedy,' but I think that is just because I'm more accustomed to hearing Oliver use it with Thea since it was her nickname first.

I've been cringing at some of the names being suggested for Felicity on Twitter.

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 1

Well, they're never gonna please everyone but I'm sorry, OTA = Oliver, Diggle, Felicity. That's not discounting the new bigger team but they could at least have some appreciation/respect for the original dynamic which a lot of people still tune in for, myself included.

Whatevs.

CW Arrow tweeted that 402 comic preview again, but this time with a new comment that I find strange, considering the comic preview primarily focuses on Laurel/BC, but the comment is about OTA and Felicity...

https://twitter.com/CW_Arrow/status/653663751636254720

The above CW Arrow tweet was then retweeted by the Arrow writers...

https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/653683740955176960

I think they are going with what most of the responses were about. I read some and most of them pertained to the "Code Name" for Felicity. There were a few about BC & GA fighting together but they were like 1/3 of the mentions for Felicity. I think they're just on the bandwagon of what was getting the most responses and that was/is Felicity & her code name.

Quietly waiting for someone to bring up that OTA was Diggle/Oliver or Diggle/Oliver/Laurel................. lmao -- same old argument

LOL. Well. When SA and DR and pretty much everyone refers to Oliver/Diggle/Felicity as OTA, they're OTA. Simple as that tbh. 

LOL. Well. When SA and DR and pretty much everyone refers to Oliver/Diggle/Felicity as OTA, they're OTA. Simple as that tbh. 

When was Laurel ever considered a part of an "OTA" or were you just kidding? I mean you have Oliver himself looking directly at Laurel and saying "this started with the 3 of us (Diggle, Felicity, and himself) and its time we get back to that", not verbatim but I'm sure I'm very close lol.

• Love 7

When was Laurel ever considered a part of an "OTA" or were you just kidding? I mean you have Oliver himself looking directly at Laurel and saying "this started with the 3 of us (Diggle, Felicity, and himself) and its time we get back to that", not verbatim but I'm sure I'm very close lol.

I was just talking about the Arrow twitter account calling the comic preview 'OTA' when it showed Laurel. She's not part of OTA. She's part of Team Arrow now but she wasn't part of the original trio. 

But I do think they actually meant the original trio because Felicity is talking to Oliver and Diggle over the comms so technically yes, OTA are back together again. It's just a weird thing to say when the preview was mainly BC.

I love how it's a conversation about codenames, and Felicity says "John" on comms anyway. There's not enough facepalming in the world.

I'm hoping they did that intentionally as to not spoil what his codename is.

As far as OTA, i think people from the show should just use TA, everyone is happy and fans can use whatever termology they like.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 2

I think the reason there's the whole issue with fans using the term OTA and other fans feeling like that excludes everyone else from the team is because the writers are yet to find a dynamic that works and is as liked as the first team.They still get many questions and complaints about not having enough OTA scenes,so much that they spent a lot of the promotion of season 4 talking about having more OTA scenes.

I feel like the fans do understand the team will expand and change but so far they have failed to write that in an organic,likable way and it feels like they force in people and sideline members of OTA so they could fit.

As for people saying true OTA was like Laurel and Oliver or just Diggle and Oliver,I've even seen someone say it was Oliver,Diggle and Helena,IMO it makes no sense and just makes me laugh.

Oliver,Diggle and Felicity have been recognized as OTA by the show,the EPs,the actors,the fans and the media so I don't see how anyone could argue that.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 9

I think they used OTA because last season OTA interaction was pretty dismal and the show got criticized because of it. There was no Diggle/Felicity interaction. There was barely any Felicity/Oliver interaction... The BroTP was strong though. Regardless, I think they used OTA to make the people who missed them excited. 

I see nothing wrong with that. But IMO it IS a little weird that they'd use it on a BC dominated comic preview. 

• Love 1

I think they used OTA because last season OTA interaction was pretty dismal and the show got criticized because of it. There was no Diggle/Felicity interaction. There was barely any Felicity/Oliver interaction... The BroTP was strong though. Regardless, I think they used OTA to make the people who missed them excited. 

I see nothing wrong with that. But IMO it IS a little weird that they'd use it on a BC dominated comic preview. 

I think they are trying to promote "Black Canary" unfortunately they released a comic preview which included Olicity/Felicity and Diggle pics & dialogue as well. As I stated above comments about "Black Canary" on a preview with her plastered on it received about 1/3 of the comments for Felicity. I think they will do better promoting BC if they leave out Olicity/Felicity/OTA while doing it!

I think they are trying to promote "Black Canary" unfortunately they released a comic preview which included Olicity/Felicity and Diggle pics & dialogue as well. As I stated above comments about "Black Canary" on a preview with her plastered on it received about 1/3 of the comments for Felicity. I think they will do better promoting BC if they leave out Olicity/Felicity/OTA while doing it!

The problem for the PR department is that, with the exception of the very first pictures released of her in costume, promos featuring Laurel/BC alone get a very tepid response at best. They know that by throwing in the other characters they'll get more chatter.
  • Love 4

The problem for the PR department is that, with the exception of the very first pictures released of her in costume, promos featuring Laurel/BC alone get a very tepid response at best. They know that by throwing in the other characters they'll get more chatter.

...which is why that comic preview is so clunky. You're reading about Laurel and Oliver and then Felicity and Diggle randomly show up out of nowhere talking about something completely different than what is happening in with Laurel and Oliver, LOL. Nice editing there, show.

• Love 1

If it was a normal fandom, maybe. But Arrow fandom from what I've seen is VERY territorial and doesn't seem open to change. TA with Roy jelled fine imo but people tend to skip over him.

As far as OTA, i think people from the show should just use TA, everyone is happy and fans can use whatever termology they like.

For what it's worth, in his post-premiere FB chat SA said he wouldn't even call this current team "Team Arrow" because Oliver isn't the leader anymore.

I think we're getting some Original Team Arrow moments in ep 3(?), the one where L/T take a trip to Nanda Parbat? That may be where that scene with Felicity going "Feels like old times" is from because it'll just be her, Diggle and Oliver. I'm praying that's what it is. I really do love my original trio. Like folks upthread have said, they just work in every configuration. I do wish we get more Diggle and Felicity scenes. I don't mind that they didn't have a huge reunion moment in premiere because I think he and Felicity actually kept in touch.

• Love 10

For what it's worth, in his post-premiere FB chat SA said he wouldn't even call this current team "Team Arrow" because Oliver isn't the leader anymore.

I don't even know any alternative name would sound good. I wonder what he would call them.

Thea and Laurel have been at this whole superheroing thing for all of five minutes, so the idea that that they should be able to participate in this new team "democracy" and make suggestions regarding planning, strategy, etc. is hilarious.  Over here, we have Special Forces Diggle & "I survived five years of hell & torture" Oliver.  And then over there we have newbies Laurel and Thea.  Haha, no!  And as we shall soon see, when Thea and Laurel are left to their own devices, well...people end up Lazarus Pitt-ed!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 23

If it was a normal fandom, maybe. But Arrow fandom from what I've seen is VERY territorial and doesn't seem open to change. TA with Roy jelled fine imo but people tend to skip over him.

And there is the key--he jelled just fine as a side addition to the team. I'm not opposed to change--I love Thea, I'm rather indifferent to Laurel--I get that the team has to evolve. What I don't like is that the show has expected us to embrace a dynamic that doesn't seem to jell that well (and hasn't since mid-S3), and in every way, feels inferior to the old, very natural dynamic.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 18

""I'll never stop repeating: SMALLVILLE DID THIS BETTER, ARROW.""

It's pretty bad when Smallville does something better than Arrow. Sigh! it just makes me really annoyed when I think about everything Arrow got so right from 1.6 to 3.1 and then just threw it all away....

Edited by catrox14

But that's exactly the problem, IMO. I do think Oliver needed to be more open to suggestions and working with people but it's still his show and he's the main character. He should be the leader. Sorry but the guy has years and years of experience but I'm supposed to believe he'll just leave decisions up to people who've barely been doing this for months. Naw, son.

Maybe I should go back to the bitterness thread. LMAO.

Roy was added organically to Team Arrow. Sure it was a fast progression but it was legitimately earned. He wasn't just put on the team because they handed him a mask.

It originated by the fans anyway. Team Arrow should still work since Oliver is still the face of the team.

My concern is that they will tear down Oliver more this year to the point he won't be the leader.

Felicity called them Team Arrow when Roy was put in the know.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

Fingerless gloves, man. FINGERLESS GLOVES. 

Felicity not having a code name is the tech equivalent. 

I can actually accept the fingerless gloves more than I can accept the lack of code names. Any criminal or non-criminal organization can hack/break into the comms transmission and get her name. Whereas the fingerless gloves only leads evidence behind and we all know how incompetent the SCPD is with evidence. FS could always go in and delete any evidence left behind. Whereas she can't make another organization unhear her or the others names after they break through the comms.

It's just a failure of common sense at this point. Any basic watching of spy/crime TV would tell you that she needs a code name, esp now that they are fighting more than just a common criminal but even then it was needed. But I know I'm preaching to the choir on the need for a code name here.

• Love 3

I actually thought Roy suited up pretty quickly too though. But IMO it didn't feel like they were rubbing it in my face or trying so hard and Roy was already good at parkour and all of that. I guess it didn't feel as heavy handed as others have felt on the show and that's why I accepted it more. Just stop telling me these things and let me actually see it and then maybe I'll be more accepting.

Roy worked better because he didn't mess with the dynamic of the team.He was always in the background anyway and no one had to yell at Oliver to get him to accept Roy on the team.

I also liked how in season 1 and 2 we had Oliver chose who will join his team and they gave those scenes a lot of importance.In season 3 Laurel and Thea pretty much snuck their way on the team while he wasn't there and he had to deal with it.That's an awful dynamic.

This season they're making the mistake of having the team be awful to Oliver for no reason apart from Diggle.People tend to side with the main character,making the team act like jerks towards him doesn't help make the new members better accepted.

• Love 16

Thea and Laurel have been at this whole superheroing thing for all of five minutes, so the idea that that they should be able to participate in this new team "democracy" and make suggestions regarding planning, strategy, etc. is hilarious.  Over here, we have Special Forces Diggle & "I survived five years of hell & torture" Oliver.  And then over there we have lawyer Laurel and barely-an-adult Thea (thought she was still a teen, whoops).  Haha, no!  And as we shall soon see, when Thea and Laurel are left to their own devices, well...people end up Lazarus Pitt-ed!

Can I marry this post? I was having the exact same thoughts in the shower this morning (that's where I do all my best thinking, LOL). That scene has been bugging me for 6 days. At first, I was just stunned by the audacity of asking someone to help you solve a problem you can't solve and then being all "You're not the boss of me" when you start directing them how to solve it. But now it's the idea of a Team Arrow "democracy" pushing me over the edge.  

I graduated from a top 10 law school and completed two judicial clerkships before I joined my law firm. Fancy credentials, but that didn't entitle me to roll up in my firm and instantly expect to have a say equal to the partners. And when I became a partner, if someone had told me the firm was a democracy and the associates had as much say in the running of the firm as the partners, I would have laughed in their face. You have to earn the right to to have a seat at the table, and regardless of what Laurel and Thea have been doing for the past five months, they haven't earned that yet.

So no, Oliver's vote and Diggle's vote in no way should be equal to the baby vigilantes. Eventually, when they've earned their stripes after a few years of doing this, then they can have an equal say in how the team functions. Until then, they are and deserve to be in subordinate positions, just like Roy was.  It's beyond ridiculous that the writers think we should accept the idea of Team Arrow as a democracy. Beyond.

• Love 22

I think the issues with the writers is that they're trying to change the team to accomodate the new people instead of just showing the new people and the old team growing together into a newer, larger one without compromising the old team and how they worked. 

Does that sort of make sense? 

• Love 7

On the good side, Felicity will be getting a code name because they would be stupid to ask for suggestions if they're not going to give her one.  On the bad side, I'm really worrying about what it's going to be.

Roy worked better because he didn't mess with the dynamic of the team.He was always in the background anyway and no one had to yell at Oliver to get him to accept Roy on the team.

This.

The calls for OTA started when Sara joined and Diggle and Felicity got pushed into the background.  They even said it on the show "This started with the three of us. It's time we got back to that."  (And then Laurel joined Oliver but that's the way the show rolls. No sooner does a character say something (e.g. Oliver telling Felicity he'll never lose her), then the show does the complete opposite (Oliver not noticing Felicity in TOD because he's with Sara.)

Roy fit in because he didn't disturb the existing dynamic of O/D/F, he was an additional pair of hands and some of his own stoyrylines but definitely second tier.  Laurel, on the other hand, never fit in seamlessly, not even when Oliver was "dead" (e.g. Diggle stayed behind while Laurel was in the field; Diggle drove the truck and the helicopter so that Laurel could be the fighter).  

I also agree with tangerine95 that having Laurel and Thea start out with "You're not the boss of me" right after they were the ones to ask Oliver back is not the way to make us love them on the team.

I think the issues with the writers is that they're trying to change the team to accomodate the new people instead of just showing the new people and the old team growing together into a newer, larger one without compromising the old team and how they worked. 

That's what they did with Roy, made him fit the existing team, as opposed to changing the team with first Sara and then Laurel coming on.

it's like adding liquid to the dry ingredients, if I can use an Oliver cooking metaphor. You have to go slowly or it ends up lumpy and doesn't taste good.

• Love 5

Does that sort of make sense? 

It does. Except for me it's not so much "new people", as it's Laurel. I thought Roy fit well with the team. I have no problem whatsoever with Thea being in the team. I don't understand why Laurel EXISTS, much less why she's part of this team, so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 21

The EPs seem fully aware OTA was missed. 4x03 seems like a OTA episode even with Sara's resurrection. I don't think Sara will make an appearance until the end of the episode and I believe KC was spending some time in Maimi during filming so that feels like the B-plot. With KC constantly missing or having very little screentime for a few episodes each season, I'm wondering if they will take advantage of that and have OTA-centric episodes.

• Love 4

Can I marry this post? I was having the exact same thoughts in the shower this morning (that's where I do all my best thinking, LOL). That scene has been bugging me for 6 days. At first, I was just stunned by the audacity of asking someone to help you solve a problem you can't solve and then being all "You're not the boss of me" when you start directing them how to solve it. But now it's the idea of a Team Arrow "democracy" pushing me over the edge.

I graduated from a top 10 law school and completed two judicial clerkships before I joined my law firm. Fancy credentials, but that didn't entitle me to roll up in my firm and instantly expect to have a say equal to the partners. And when I became a partner, if someone had told me the firm was a democracy and the associates had as much say in the running of the firm as the partners, I would have laughed in their face. You have to earn the right to to have a seat at the table, and regardless of what Laurel and Thea have been doing for the past five months, they haven't earned that yet.

So no, Oliver's vote and Diggle's vote in no way should be equal to the baby vigilantes. Eventually, when they've earned their stripes after a few years of doing this, then they can have an equal say in how the team functions. Until then, they are and deserve to be in subordinate positions, just like Roy was. It's beyond ridiculous that the writers think we should accept the idea of Team Arrow as a democracy. Beyond.

Perfect analogy. Absolutely perfect

• Love 1

It does. Except for me it's not so much "new people", as it's Laurel. I thought Roy fit well with the team. I have no problem whatsoever with Thea being in the team. I don't understand why Laurel EXISTS, much less why she's part of this team, so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree.Its mostly Laurel.Thea is a sidekick and there will be no problem including her the way they did Roy.Her attitude in the episode can be about the LP effects and it wasn't as bad as Laurel's anyway.Laurel was a bad fit on the team the whole season 3.

The issue they have is BC and having that character be a sidekick to Oliver.They can't make her that but they can't really make her equal so they're pushing the whole team is equal crap.

• Love 6
So no, Oliver's vote and Diggle's vote in no way should be equal to the baby vigilantes. Eventually, when they've earned their stripes after a few years of doing this, then they can have an equal say in how the team functions. Until then, they are and deserve to be in subordinate positions, just like Roy was.  It's beyond ridiculous that the writers think we should accept the idea of Team Arrow as a democracy. Beyond.

There's no problem with Thea in a subordinate position.  She's not only Oliver's little sister, she's a minor comic book character.

But they can't have the Black Canary be subordinate, and a part of the audience will resent her being equal so soon.  It's a no-win situation unless Laurel has her own team.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

LOLiver people are already taking the comic preview as evidence that Oliver is totes turned on by badass BC and will be dumping Felicity for Laurel any day now.  The delusion is hilarious.  I actually think that the writers would just ignore the awful relationship backstory and try to put them back together, but the anti-chem is totally unfixable.  Even back in S1 when SA was still trying it was just bad.

It didn't help that the CW Promo people on twitter posted the comic preview with the #OTA. That just stirred up the real #OTA fans & the LOLiver for different reason.

I also think the CW Promo dept is either overworked or don't watch the shows they promote. Or they did it on purpose to stir up more attention and media clicks. Personally, I think its a combination of both. I think they knew that by using #OTA they would stir up emotions & posts, sit back and let the fans/audience do the work. It's kinda genius in a way.

I'm iffy that they seem to think Roy and Thea are interchangeable in their narrative roles in Oliver's story, but at least they have a role. The sidekick/mentee/apprentice thing works in this story.

Laurel doesn't even have a role in Oliver's story. If you put Cupid on the right meds and switch Laurel for her on the team, it makes no difference. Because it's someone who doesn't have anything to offer Oliver's journey on any deeper level. It's just extra muscle. Which yeah, it's WEIRD AS FUCK when that someone is supposed to be Black Canary.

I really do hope that everyone but Felicity piling up on Oliver in 401 is actual set up for all of those relationships to be explored more in depth as the season goes. But hilariously for Laurel, same as she didn't get even a hint of a story arc in 401, she also wasn't set up for a dispute with Oliver. We know it's coming once she goes gravedigger on Sara, but I'm still finding it super telling that they're not setting her up in the season premiere.

• Love 8

Really don't care what the eps or whoever might try to "sell" me, that was always the problem with some things on Arrow, tell not show.

OTA is Oliver/Diggle/Felicity and it will always be, no matter how much a part of the fandom doesn't like it. It's Arrow show canon, and supported by DR/SA/EBR

Call it TA, call it whatever you want, but don't try to make is seem like anyone else is a part of OTA because they're not.

And this idea that everyone is equal in the team is BS, they're not, No one else spend 5 years in "hell" no one else is a war veteran, no one else does what Felicity does.

But in the name of propping certain chars i don't put it pass the eps to have Thea hack something or maybe Oliver wear the BC suit? who knows! That would really make her suit look "badass" all  some care about is the "badass" word. It's ridiculous, makes no sense, who cares? looks "badass" 

• Love 1

Yeah they didn't set anything up for her at all.Diggle and Thea being mean to Oliver is a set up for future episodes.Laurel was just being her usual self.

She got a good amount of screentime in the episode,as much as Digg and Thea I think but it was all fight scenes and plot exposition lines.We got nothing on what her storyline will be apart from fighting crime as BC.They even glossed over her conflict with Quentin from last season.We know it will be Sara but that is just a few episodes.We have no indication of anything beyond that,not even a love interest for her.

• Love 2

Yeah this is me. I loved Sara on the team, I liked Roy, I'm perfectly fine with Thea, I would have turned backflips if Tatsu had stuck around and joined the team. It's just Laurel. Only Laurel. :(

• Love 8

I originally accidentally posted this in the Spoilers Only thread

After all, the majority of Arrow fans have theorised that he shrunk to save himself from that explosion at the end of season three and may have then immediately been drafted by Rip Hunter

I have literally never read that theory about Rip Hunter.  I thought it was always obvious that he'd still be hanging around Starling (hey, Ray would be the last one to know they changed the name)  This is why no one should claim the "majority" about anything.

• Love 3