Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Yeah I'm not crazy about the idea either. Oliver having more of a life as Oliver Queen? Sure. But I don't care for the idea of him actually being mayor. To me, if he was going to be mayor, he'd have to actually truly give up being the Arrow (Green Arrow, whatever) as long as he was in office. Even for this show, who had Moira Queen run for office in the same season where she went on trial for the Undertaking (so stupid), I think it'd be completely absurd for him to try to be both.

But that's just my opinion. *shrug*

• Love 3

For me being its too much responsibility added on top of being the arrow.I'm not really interested in seeing him give press conferences while Laurel and Thea play hero.But I guess I'll see how they plan on making it work.

Hey, they cast a totally hot guy in the lead and then had him be shirtless "all the time" in S1 and S2. We're only enjoying what has been given to us. Not to enjoy our gift would be rude.

Also, seriously, need more shirtless/training scenes in S4.

Yes, more shirtless scenes would automatically make S4 better than S3. I understand that it's extra work for SA, but there's got to be a happy middle between S1/2 (I think he was shirtless in every 2B episode) and S3 (5 scenes the whole season, maybe?)
  • Love 1

For me being its too much responsibility added on top of being the arrow.I'm not really interested in seeing him give press conferences while Laurel and Thea play hero.But I guess I'll see how they plan on making it work.

He doesn't necessarily have to be in press conferences while Laurel and Thea play hero. Sometimes he would be, I'm sure, but it could be a nice return to one of the things I liked in S1 and S2, which is Oliver showing up late to events and trying to hide that he's been out suiting up. Could just be that he's late to a press conference or fundraiser or whatever because he was out being vigilante. He desperately needs a life outside of the foundry though, so I'll take what I can get. Oliver as mayor, deputy mayor, county comptroller, whatever.

• Love 2
(edited)

Holy awesometastic casting, Arrow!

Edit: from the AccessHollywood article:

Jeri will play Jessica Danforth in the episode, a friend of the Queen family. Her political ambitions will place her in the crosshairs of a menacing antagonist, Access has learned.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/arrow-casting-exclusive-jeri-ryan-to-guest-star-on-cw-drama_article_110377

So Jeri Ryan wants to be mayor, but Damien Dark wants someone else to be mayor?

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

So Jeri Ryan wants to be mayor, but Damien Dark wants someone else to be mayor?

Maybe they should solve their dispute by making out. I'm just saying, that's a lot of frosty prettiness.

Neal-McDonough-and-Jeri-Ryan.jpg

• Love 8
(edited)

I first saw Jeri Ryan on Shark (also the first place I saw Danielle Panabaker, I believe). She was the DA IIRC. She had an amazing scene in the first season finale where she very slyly tricked a misogynistic killer into incriminating himself on the stand. And I remember her little smirk and quiet "temper temper" comment - it was awesome. Ever since then I've been a total fan.

She was also great on Body of Proof - one of the reasons I watched that show.

I hope her character here becomes more of an occasionally recurring character than someone who just appears once and then is killed off.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

Great casting although I always expected someone slightly older for that particular role. No idea why!

I still think this season is getting overcrowded again though. But we'll see how it pans out.

I'm liking the casting choices this year!- at least those I recognize
I admit I have no idea who the guy who playing Mr. Terrific is or the guy playing Anarky. i did not recognize Jerry Ryan name, but one I googled her I knew she looked so darn familiar but I couldn't remember from where.. She was on "Boston Public" (which i admit to watching sporadically) as well as a guest star on a late 90's show called "The Sentinel" (super recommend this show). Oh yea and she was also on the OC for like half a season.

• Love 1

Hah. Odd person out, not a Jeri Ryan fan, she'll be good in the role, I'm sure just not someone that appeals to me, never has.

I hear you, because I cannot STAND Sebastian Stan (the Winter Soldier). The only thing I can point to is that he's knock-kneed, which messes up his villain walk game. He was fine in Captain America and fine to good in Winter Soldier, but I don't care, I can't stand him.

(edited)

Martouf!!!!

Ok yes, that character sounds awful though. Too bad. I really like JR Bourne.

Thank You! I kept saying, I know this guy, I know him, where do I know him from?!

Martouf...looking good with the beard.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Maybe I'm the only one but I'm not that excited for Oliver to become mayor.I like the idea of him having a life besides being the arrow.It's just how is it gonna work?Is the mayor just going to disappear every time there's a crisis on the city and come back when its done?

No, I'm with you. I just think the mayor thing is going to weigh him down. Its just such a hard thing to write. Also with the current political atmosphere with the upcoming US presidential election, I'm a little polticked out & its only just begun. I also don't think the writers are really great at writing political stories (I enjoy them, but they are not Aaron Sorkin). Also we have already seen a mayoral run in s2 (and that was one of the least interesting plots). Plus they just kill every mayor, so what's the point of permanently attaching the mayordom to OQ? It just feels like a plot shackle. If he's mother's long lost friend wants to be mayor, than that is fine with me, but I just don't have an interest in seeing Mayor Queen anytime soon. I did in s2, but then the writers killed my hopes for that payoff by killing Moira to further Operation ManPain.

I'm excited for there to be life outside of the foundry. I am dying to see OQ be OQ again. Dying to see him in the 3Ss (Suits, Suspenders & Shirtless). But yeah, I have no desire to see him running for office at this point. I sorta want to see him running a non-profit charity that can dabble in politics & fundraisers but not have to be attached to the daily grind that is mayordom. In my head, I imagine FS creating a charity division of PT/QC & that being OQ little pet project for awhile.

• Love 3

I'm not worried about real politics getting in the way.  The Mayorship, should Oliver get it, Is only going to take up as much time as the show wants it to so it's never going to be a REAL issue. 

• Love 2

I'm gonna laugh so hard if we've given all this thought to Oliver being mayor and it turns out he just works on someone's campaign or something (which will, at some point down the line, I'm sure, result in him being mayor). 

I think, though, that "The Candidate" is probably the woman who was Moira's friend, and Oliver becomes mayor later/another way.

Looks like you are right with the casting spoiler blurbs.  However, I think it is narratively telling that she is "the candidate" and not the mayor.  Blood was made mayor and died at the end of season 2, but they already had a new mayor running things as early as episode 2 of season three.  The mayor was killed off earlier in season three, but they apparently are only getting around to an election now?  To me, that says there will be back door dealing they want to show on screen or else Oliver will end up with the job by the end of the season.

I mean, unless they called several elections and simply no one wanted to run because THE JOB IS A DEATH TRAP!

Happy about Jeri Ryan!  I guess I got my wish for a Leverage actor on Arrow, just not Aldis.

• Love 1

Maybe Oliver and Felicity are returning because yet another mayor of Starling City died...

....no, it would need to be something unusual. Forget I said anything.

• Love 8

I'm trying to tell myself that the reason we are only hearing about LOT on Arrow is because Diggles storyline is so top secret they can't spoil anything. But they can spoil LOT all they want becuase everyone already knows about it.

That's add Felicity in there too. Because I refuse to believe that her whole storyline will be all about Ray again.

I think Arrow S4 is shaping up like this...

4A - bring Ray back from shrinkage, resurrect Sara, introduce DD and HIVE, establish Oliver's public persona, start Diggle's HIVE story.

4B - ramp up DD, finish Diggle's HIVE story, (maybe) introduce Felicity's father.

• Love 4

Yea, I'm preparing myself for Diggle light s4a. And the Felicity-I-like light s4a (because all of for s4a for her will be about Ray). So basically, I can guarantee that I need to watch the season premiere and then ease up on investing in episodes until the winter premiere.

I love that they are bringing Sara back, but I honestly don't trust them to do it well. Unless WM cares about SL, which I don't think she does as much as the other female characters since I didn't hear her talk a lot about SL. We are entrusting the same team that felt the need to kill her off ubergraphically, forget to really look for her killer after 1 episode and then rarely mention her for her own merits bring her back to life. I just don't buy that they will do it justice, its admitting their mistakes and making them eat crow. So yea, I don't have faith that they are really invested in doing that story arc well.

Also, why do they think that so many of the fans are really concerned about Ray and his supposed death? If they wanted us to be concerned that he actually died, perhaps they should not have announced that he will be the lead & major team player in the Spin-off. His search & rescue has got to be the most anti-climatic spoiler & story arc. Still find it hysterical that during the coverage of the finale, so many people actually failed to address that he blew up until days later. He feels like such a tiny blip on the Arrow radar and yet they keep on trying to get us on board with caring about his character. Honestly, I'd rather find out if Deadshot is really dead or not - to me that is the more important & interesting search & rescue mission.

• Love 6
(edited)

Its starting to really annoy me how we keep hearing more spoilers about LoT characters then the ones on Arrow.

About Sara being brought back to life,I'm not even that interested in it even though I like her since I know its gonna be all about the Lance family drama.I just want her alive and of to her own show.But I think they'll pay more attention to her as a character and not a plot line.They underestimated how pissed off people were going to be if they killed her off for Laurel so I'm hoping they learned something from that.

One thing I just saw on twitter is someone pointed out how Laurel in seasons 2,3 and it seems now 4 pretty much has no storyline without Sara and its totally true.

I'll never understand why they think if they just shove Ray down our throats all the time people will care about him.I'm really hoping they find him fast because they have to know there's no suspense since we know what happened to him already.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 4

At a Con Barrowman mentioned if you were a fan of Oliver, Malcolm, Thea and the Canary Sisters you would be happy. I was hoping he was only naming those because it was related to a mask question, but now I'm a slightly worried we are going to have two different shows going on in Arrow again. Those dealing with Sara/LOA and Felicity off at Palmer Tech bringing Ray back, with Diggle casually floating around for a bit. They have to find someway to merge everything though because Ray and Sara are going to LOT.

I just want everyone to be involved in the big plot points and things to make sense.

• Love 1

At a Con Barrowman mentioned if you were a fan of Oliver, Malcolm, Thea and the Canary Sisters you would be happy. I was hoping he was only naming those because it was related to a mask question, but now I'm a slightly worried we are going to have two different shows going on in Arrow again. 

I hope there's more going on because I'm only interested in 2.5/5 of those characters listed. Sara only gets a .5 because I don't have any interest in her relationship with her sister. 

Will Diggle's codename be Shaft since that seems to be what the character keeps getting? 

I'm really hoping the LOT stuff doesn't take over the show. TPTB have the LOT show. I will most likely watch it. Please don't take over the other shows I watch. 

• Love 10

Will Diggle's codename be Shaft since that seems to be what the character keeps getting? 

The shade is strong with that one...

Unfortunately, I think they might have some trademark/copyright issues using "Shaft". Although I would pay money to see DR play Shaft.

(edited)

This is my main concern right now, although I'm trying not to judge too much until we actually see the episodes. But I feel like all we're hearing about is setting up LoT and as happy as I am that Sara is coming back and getting her due on her own show, I don't care about it enough to waste significant time on it on Arrow. I watch Arrow for well, the ARROW, you know, because it's his show. And I also watch for Diggle and Felicity and I've heard nothing about Diggle's storyline so far and all I'm hearing about Felicity is that she's involved with bringing Ray back. Which makes her storyline yet again about Ray instead of herself. I really hope there's more to it but s3 didn't fill me with much confidence. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

I think it is very likely that they will focus a lot on the LoT set up in 4a but I do think our Arrow people will be weaved in with those stories.  I'm not thrilled that it looks like Felicity is going to be apart from the main action, but even just with gaining Palmer Tech I knew the majority of her storyline would be over there.  WeeRay is just the unwanted bonus, but he is going to be small for a least a few episodes and therefore the interaction will be kept to a minimum. 

I'm actually swinging back to casually optimistic about the season.  We know 4a will do a lot of heavy lifting for LoT but we also know that Damien Darhk shows up right away as a big bad and we will deal with Oliver and Felicity incorporating their couple-ness into the show and that Oliver and Diggle will began repairing their relationship early on.  Those are good things.  

We were stuck with Laurel doing something, at least let her something net me Sara back alive.  Thea will probably be dealing with her own LP demons if for no reason than to set the audience up to know how much worse it will be with Sara.  Mr. Terrific sounds like he is there to be a supporting character to Felicity so that's good. 

Over all, I don't think they have time to bore me too much with Lance Family Drama before 4a is done and Arrow goes back to being about just Arrow.  I think 4a is going to be a lot of set up for the rest of the season layered over launching Sara and Ray, but I think I'd rather a cohesive story focused on Sara than most of what we had in 3a which felt like a lot of filler until Oliver finally '"died".  I don't include 3-5 as filler, but after 3-2, we were just waiting it out until Sara's killer was revealed.  Nothing really was allowed to happen til then.  At least this season we are pretty much assured of a coupe storylines reaching their resolution while at the same time seeding the next 2/3's of the season.  If they make sure to include good interaction between the Arrow regulars, then I think we are looking at a much more satisfying season already.    

Subject change:

The article in the Spoilers Only sections was vague as to if Carter Hall aka Hawkman will actually show up on Arrow or not but I have mixed thoughts about him one way or the other.  I LOVED the Carter Hall on Smallville.  I will be comparing and that's going to make things rough but on top of that there is this: 

Much like the comic book iteration, Carter retains his memories of his past lives each time he is reborn, though his lover (aka Hawkgirl) is born anew. In other words, Kendra Saunders will have no idea who he is at first.

This show does NOT do preordained loves well, IMO.   Maybe I'm worried over nothing.  They are probably just planning on killing him by the time he and Kendra actually fall in love. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Meh, for me I think it's come to the point where I'm done worrying whether the show is going to be good again. It is what it is. 

What Wendy Mericle focused on and what the media is focusing on are two very different things. I think I trust Wendy more than the media right now. Remember how there was no info on Laurel last year? She ended up having the second biggest arc on the show. I hope the same goes for Diggle/Felicity. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Season 3 ended with the issue it began with unresolved. How could Oliver Queen be Oliver and a hero? In the finale he chose to be with Felicity and not be a hero, he spent the rest of the season trying to be a hero and not being with Felicity. The same issue threatens their relationship going into season 4.

From what Stephen said in the press room interviews at SDCC, Oliver is perfectly content to be a civilian for the rest of his life, and he implied pretty heavily that it's Felicity who wants to go back to vigilante-ing.

I think that might actually be a good way to solve Oliver's creepy compartmentalizing of his life. Felicity wants BOTH of those lives to be one and the same, so hopefully this isn't a source of conflict between F/O, but a solution for Oliver. If Felicity is willing to do the work required to balance their lives, maybe so will he.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 7

From what Stephen said in the press room interviews at SDCC, Oliver is perfectly content to be a civilian for the rest of his life, and he implied pretty heavily that it's Felicity who wants to go back to vigilante-ing.

I think that might actually a good way to solve Oliver's creepy compartmentalizing of his life. Felicity wants BOTH of those lives to be one and the same, so hopefully this isn't a source of conflict between F/O, but a solution for Oliver. If Felicity is willing to do the work required to balance their lives, maybe so will he.

Exactly the thought I was leaning toward after following the SDCC bits as well, ty for summarizing it so well.  It just makes sense for a guy who has lived a tortured existence for 8 years to want to wallow in happy if he has the chance.  I hope they do go the path of resolution, and not conflict.  He will have to eat some words (comments to Barry and about Ray), but the character has been willing to admit being wrong before, so it is in his nature to learn from his own mistakes.

• Love 4

Oh, yes, totally in agreement, I really get Oliver wanting a happy and peaceful normal life after everything he's been through.

Two things they did in the finale give me hope that the Oliver Queen vs. The Arrow dichotomy nonsense is over. One is that Oliver admitted this mission isn't his alone anymore, and he was perfectly aware that he could leave Starling City because there were other people willing to protect the city.

And the other is that losing the Arrow identity seems to have removed *the burden* of wearing the suit. He now can do whatever he wants to do, be whoever he wants to be. Which imo gives Oliver the peace of mind to be a hero solely because it so happens that he's pretty good at it, and he knows he can help. And he wants to. But not out of obligation, or vengeance, or guilt.

And if that finally strips him of being Batman-lite once and for all, I won't complain one bit. COME ON, SEASON FOUR, LET'S DO THIS RIGHT.

• Love 4