Type keyword(s) to search

Dean Winchester: aka Squirrel

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Oh I know about that conversation. Sorry I should have been more clear.

I'm just saying it as more of WTF kind of confirmation that the orginal interpretation of Jensen's JIBcon comments was really probably correct in that Berens didn't intend the scene to be that revelatory about Dean's frame of mind all season.

Ah, gotcha. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me at all that the writers, Berens included, didn't put that much thought into Dean's state of mind or motivations. Too busy writing cheap jokes at his expense and dreaming up new ways for him to learn Very Valuable Lessons.

Again, I say, thank god we have Jensen.

• Love 2

I couldn't read the item - it was cut off in two ways. I'm assuming that Jensen mentioned the scene with Dean/Mary in "Who We Are". I just wonder what he thinks about the ways in which the character of Dean is being changed fundamentally - losing characteristics he's had since the beginning of the show. Surely if he knows Dean inside and out (and he does), then I would think he's noticing the changes that have come about in the last season and a half.

I'm in the process of re-watching S12 in order to ready my DVR for the coming season. In the first 11 episodes, I deleted 3 without watching any part of them; I fast-forward many parts of other episodes. In the second part of S12 so far, I deleted 2 episodes after watching them for a couple of minutes and being so disgusted with them that I didn't care to continue. Other episodes just make me angry with the lack of Dean's presence and/or characterization in the episode. I have never, ever, done this before on my re-watch. And I've been reviewing the seasons since the beginning of the show. I know that some viewers say that the show improves with binge watching, but for me, it has made it worse than the first time around. I have about six more to go through, but I have to say, I'm really disappointed in this show and what it has done to my favorite character of all time on TV. I will watch next season, but sometimes I ask myself why. :(

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I couldn't read the item - it was cut off in two ways. I'm assuming that Jensen mentioned the scene with Dean/Mary in "Who We Are". I just wonder what he thinks about the ways in which the character of Dean is being changed fundamentally - losing characteristics he's had since the beginning of the show. Surely if he knows Dean inside and out (and he does), then I would think he's noticing the changes that have come about in the last season and a half.

I'm in the process of re-watching S12 in order to ready my DVR for the coming season. In the first 11 episodes, I deleted 3 without watching any part of them; I fast-forward many parts of other episodes. In the second part of S12 so far, I deleted 2 episodes after watching them for a couple of minutes and being so disgusted with them that I didn't care to continue. Other episodes just make me angry with the lack of Dean's presence and/or characterization in the episode. I have never, ever, done this before on my re-watch. And I've been reviewing the seasons since the beginning of the show. I know that some viewers say that the show improves with binge watching, but for me, it has made it worse than the first time around. I have about six more to go through, but I have to say, I'm really disappointed in this show and what it has done to my favorite character of all time on TV. I will watch next season, but sometimes I ask myself why. :(

I wish I didn't agree with this, but I do. :/ I would dearly love to listen to Jensen speak freely about this - but he's too much of a team player, I think, to ever slag off the writers/showrunners as they deserve to be (IMO of course) for what they've done to Dean.

I'll post the images from that Tweet for you. Dunno why it cuts off sometimes, but it happened to me, too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Love 8

@gonzosgirrl, thanks for re-posting the tweet so that I could read it. And you are right, Jensen would never openly criticize any part of the SPN team. But I do wonder if he has anything to say in private. I know he's making good money, but he's always so protective of Dean, so I wonder if he is dissatisfied at this juncture. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, FlickChick said:

@gonzosgirrl, thanks for re-posting the tweet so that I could read it. And you are right, Jensen would never openly criticize any part of the SPN team. But I do wonder if he has anything to say in private. I know he's making good money, but he's always so protective of Dean, so I wonder if he is dissatisfied at this juncture. 

I think he's jazzed by the collaborative environment an how much his interpretation of character matters.  Contrast what he said with how things were for the Mad Men actors.  Matthew Weiner was OBSESSIVELY CONTROLLING.  He says this himself.  There was a ton of stage direction in the scripts.  Simple things like "Character X pushes the chair with is foot as he angrily leaves the room."  The actors are perfectly capable of reading a script where they are shouting and angry and understand how to exit the room with anger.  But Weiner insisted on ALL the details. And you NEVER changed a word of dialog.  The actors said it was difficult but they always really liked the result so they adapted.  Conversely, Jared and Jensen off road ALL THE TIME.  There was no direction for how to play "Demon Dean"  or "Soulless Sam", they were just given the license to create the character that fit the story.  

On the comment at MinnCon: I thought he talked to Beren's on set?  That's part of why I thought Beren's gave a confusing rather than accurate answer.  Regardless, it's clear Jensen thinks they did not connect the dots to Amara.  That they just had this cathartic moment for it's own sake.  Which was, IMO, excellent even without the tie.  I know I personally connected the dots as well and said "AH, yes, that's what Amara meant."  I'm somewhat mystified that if Jensen and people in the audience can make the connection, Berens did not originally.  Of course Berens recognized it as brilliant and I'm thrilled with how it played out.  Jensen stated he felt Dean needed John more.  And that's interesting as well.  Because if they DO get JDM back some day, how that works out will be very important to Jensen (I suspect).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SueB said:

On the comment at MinnCon: I thought he talked to Beren's on set?  That's part of why I thought Beren's gave a confusing rather than accurate answer.  Regardless, it's clear Jensen thinks they did not connect the dots to Amara.  That they just had this cathartic moment for it's own sake.  Which was, IMO, excellent even without the tie.  I know I personally connected the dots as well and said "AH, yes, that's what Amara meant."  I'm somewhat mystified that if Jensen and people in the audience can make the connection, Berens did not originally.  Of course Berens recognized it as brilliant and I'm thrilled with how it played out.  Jensen stated he felt Dean needed John more.  And that's interesting as well.  Because if they DO get JDM back some day, how that works out will be very important to Jensen (I suspect).

Personally, I don't think you have to connect the dots to Amara for it to make sense for Dean as a character and to complete the circle for Dean this season. It's not like Jensen rewrote the scene, he played what Berens wrote, so I think Berens had a pretty good grasp on what was going on even if he may not have connected it back to Amara saying she was giving Dean what he needed most. I'd actually like to hear Berens' take on this conversation, though. It would be funny to me if Berens was just so awe-struck by Jensen that he couldn't come up with a coherent answer. Jensen does seem to have that effect on people, ya know? ;) 

But, yeah, I agree that Jensen is pretty pleased in the amount of trust and collaboration they get on the show. Not all shows work this way and not all actors get as much input as Jared and Jensen do. I think it's one of the main reasons they're so keen to keep working on the show.

• Love 3

I think Berens intent for the scene was likely more the tie to Sam leading the Raid, you had Dean and Mary discussing Sam`s life and previous hardships and then the camera pan from baby!Sam to grown-up general!Sam now. So Jensen coming up with "this all makes so much sense for Dean" probably earned an "um...okay?" Yes, Dean was in the scene and as such couldn`t have dialogue as if Sam was in the scene but that doesn`t mean the point of the scene was intented to be about Dean`s character. I see it as kind of a lucky break.

And Singer isn`t a character-guy anyway, he controls the financial side of production and directing so I`m also not surprised the thought never crossed his mind. 

Jensen puts a lot of thought into the character of Dean on the other hand so he probably didn`t imagine that on this particular matter he was the only one to do so.            

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I think Berens intent for the scene was likely more the tie to Sam leading the Raid, you had Dean and Mary discussing Sam`s life and previous hardships and then the camera pan from baby!Sam to grown-up general!Sam now. So Jensen coming up with "this all makes so much sense for Dean" probably earned an "um...okay?" Yes, Dean was in the scene and as such couldn`t have dialogue as if Sam was in the scene but that doesn`t mean the point of the scene was intented to be about Dean`s character. I see it as kind of a lucky break.

And Singer isn`t a character-guy anyway, he controls the financial side of production and directing so I`m also not surprised the thought never crossed his mind. 

Jensen puts a lot of thought into the character of Dean on the other hand so he probably didn`t imagine that on this particular matter he was the only one to do so.            

I agree with your assessment of the speech and it being all about Sam, but it this was a conversation between Berens & Jensen, not Singer.

• Love 2

Discuss Dean in episode 6

Season 1- Skin

Season 2- No Exit

Season 3- Red Sky at Morning

Season 4- Yellow Fever

Season 5- I believe Children are our Future

Season 6- You can't Handle the Truth

Season 7- Slash Fiction

Season 8-Southern Comfort

Season 9- Heaven Can't Wait

Season 10- Ask Jeeves

Season 11- Our Little World

Season 12- Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox

Skin- Loved this on.  Jensen was fantastic playing the alt version of himself.  It made me want to see Jensen play a full on villain at some point.  I also really liked the insights we got into Dean.  I always believed the shapershifter was telling the truth.

No Exit- Not the best ep.  But I did like the interaction between Dean and Jo.  Also Dean broke my heart in this with his John story.  It's like even than Dean can't believe that his dad might be proud of him.

Red Sky at Morning- I liked the way Jensen played Dean's reaction to the car missing.  It made me want an episode where Baby was stolen for real.  Other than that nothing really sticks out as good for Dean.  I really disliked the way they played Dean for a fool in this.

Yellow Fever- Jensen was really good at showing Dean's fear and I liked his speech about how they were crazy.  But I disliked this ep so much.  The one ep we get about Dean's fears post hell and its played for comedy. 

I believe the Children are our Future.- No real stand out Dean moments for me.  Kind of a 'meh episode.

You Can't Handle the Truth- same as previous season.

Slash Fiction- Okay ep.  Again it makes me want to see Jensen play a bad guy.  

Southern Comfort- Terrible ep.  I really disliked that once again Dean gets the appreciate Sam lecture.  Sam is the one acting like he wished Dean never came back, its shouldn't be on Dean to accept Sam.  Plus, I dislike that once again Dean's issues were downplayed for another round of poor Sammy.

Heaven Can't Wait- I liked Dean and Cas' interactions.  It felt like this was the first ep in a long time where we actually got extended interaction between them.

Ask Jeeves.- I really liked Dean in this.  Dean is very observant and I liked that he noticed the little details.  That end scene where Dean unloads the clip was chilling.   I can't say it enough.  Jensen needs to play a full on psychopath.

Our Little World- I thought this was the ep that the wheels feel off the Amara story line.  It because to big for the writers to handle.  But that is a topic for another thread.  No real stand out Dean moments. 

Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox- I full on loved this one.  Probably my favorite of a craptastic season.  It was probably the best Dean characterization we've had in years.  Dean was smart, a leader, and badass.  Jody was actually sympathetic to Dean's issues.  I liked that for once Dean didn't apologize for issuing a hard truth to Mary.  Yockey was definitely my favorite of the new writers and he seems to have a good handle on Dean. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Jensen needs to play a full on psychopath.

Jensen can pretty much play anything, but he's wasted with this bumbling comic relief stuff they're giving us lately.  I'm pretty sure it's Jensen fooling about and they're editing it in (falling over fence, breaking stuff, etc.)  Dean is a street hardened hunter and hero, network folks!

Jensen can play cold, man.  That look he gives Crowley before shoving him to the ground. Whoa - I wouldn't want him looking at me like that.

He can play  bat crazy too.  'American Psycho' a great film (IMO) give something like that to Jensen and he'd have a field day.  

But I have a funny feeling Jensen's next project will be a war-type series with him in military uniform.

24 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Dean was smart, a leader, and badass. 

It really stood out that we hadn't seen this Dean for a while, didn't it? Want BAMF Dean back, please.

Great synopsis of episode six's ... thanks, @ILoveReading :)

• Love 3

"But I have a funny feeling Jensen's next project will be a war-type series with him in military uniform"

Jensen said at Minncon he would like to do a  Jason Bourne movie.  I have always thought he would be a fantastic Jason B.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 2
Just now, Casseiopeia said:

"But I have a funny feeling Jensen's next project will be a war-type series with him in military uniform"

Jensen said at Minncon he would like to do a  Jason Bourne movie.  I have always thought he would be a fantastic Jason B.

Oh that's interesting. I think Jensen would like to an adult action/comedy a la Deadpool, a western, a heist film, and a spy thriller.

I don't see him wanting to do a soldier role per se. He's been playing a soldier/warrior for 12 years :).

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, ILoveReading said:

Discuss Dean in episode 5

Season 1- Bloody Mary

Season 2- Simon Said

Season 3- Bedtime Stories

Season 4- Monster Movie

Season 5- Fallen Idols

Season 6 - Live Free or Twi Hard

Season 7- Shut Up Dr. Phil

Season 8- Blood Brother

Season 9- Dog Dean Afternoon

Season 10- Fan Fiction

Season 11- Thin Lizzy

Season 12- The One You've been Waiting for

Catching up with my Dean/Jensen love because Dean has been haunting my dreams even more than usual lately. ;-D

Bloody Mary-I love the scene when Dean takes out the two policemen?/security guards? in front of the antique store. His "I'm sorry. I just don't have time for this..." followed by the ease with which he took them down made me weak in the knees. So. Dean.  Those lightning quick reflexes of his have always been so much a part of what I've loved about DEan from Day One. Unfortunately, we've gotten very little of them under Dabb. :-(

Simon Said-I loved that Dean's spidey sense told him that Andy wasn't the bad guy. I loved him spouting the "truth". And I especially loved his "You be good, Andy. Or we'll be back."

Bedtime Stories-His fight with the Big Bad Wolf was awesome. But the look of such bone-weariness on his face when he asked Sam to just let him go at the end was what has always stayed with me when I think of this one. I remember feeling at the time that if he we hadn't known that he was headed to Hell, I would have been on his side in this. He just looked so done in there. If only it would have been a more restful place that he was going to, I would have agreed with him. Such is, and has always been, the power of the Ackting for me.

Monster Movie-I love this episode with every fiber of my being. Dean/Jensen was made for the B/W medium, IMO. And Dean was written well in it, too. I loved that he wanted to see his resurrection as something good and hunting as his calling or mission in life. Loved that so much. And Dean and Jamie were SO! cute together.

Fallen Idols-The episode that first made me feel and think that Jensen should leave this show because of how the writers treated his character in it. Awful episode for Dean and for this Deanfan. And what's worse is that it was only a portent of worse to come for the character in the rest of S5 and even farther down the road in the series.

Live Free or Twi-Hard-My favorite of the fifth episodes just by hair over Monster Movie and Blood Brother. I love seeing Jensen play Other Than Human. I live for it even to this day. He was So. Badass. in this one. And coupled with You Can't Handle the Truth, it gave us one of the best one-two punches that this show has ever produced in the latter seasons, IMO.

Shut-Up Dr. Phil-I can't really remember this one at all.

Blood Brother-I love this one with every fiber of my being, too. For me, Benny was the older brother that Dean never had. I loved him to pieces.

Dog Dean Afternoon-I remember dreading this episode after the spoilers that came out concerning it. It will never be favorite of mine, but JA continued to give it his all in the acting dept. and spun gold out of the dross for his character again, IMO. It's amazing to me how often he's done that, in the latter seasons of this show, especially.

Fan Fiction-I think I watched the opening scene of Dean working on Baby, but then skipped the rest, on the advice of friends whom I've learned to trust in this fandom and who know that I suffer from high blood pressure-heh-just kidding, but yeah, no desire to watch this one at all, ever. I remember Jensen saying that some would love this one and some would hate it. He definitely got that right just going by all that I've read on it.

Thin Lizzy-I liked this one for the better depiction of soullessness, too.

The One You've Been Waiting For-they made a joke out of Dean's badassity, but at least it was there in this one. And he got to kill Hitler-just in case anyone forgot. ;-)

Favorite-Live Free or Twi-Hard  Least Favorite-Fallen Idols

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Bedtime Stories-His fight with the Big Bad Wolf was awesome. But the look of such bone-weariness on his face when he asked Sam to just let him go at the end was what has always stayed with me when I think of this one. I remember feeling at the time that if he we hadn't known that he was headed to Hell, I would have been on his side in this. He just looked so done in there. If only it would have been a more restful place that he was going to, I would have agreed with him. Such is, and has always been, the power of the Ackting for me.

I'm going to have to rewatch this ep.  I don't remember much of it.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, ILoveReading said:

Season 1- Skin

Season 2- No Exit

Season 4- Yellow Fever

Season 7- Slash Fiction

Season 10- Ask Jeeves

Skin-Love this episode for Dean/Jensen. Love it. Every scene-especially the ones with ShifterDean. ShifterDean was so friggin' disturbing to me. Like Ted Bundy disturbing. And again with those lightning quick reflexes when he takes Sam out with the crowbar and when he escapes from the police via the knife throw. His secret joy at what he finds in the trunk of the Impala and his interactions with Sam-the part where he says that he thought that he came from a messed up family was especially enlightening. And we learn that Dean didn't actually love having been placed/forced into the family caretaker role from childhood. Imagine that. And yes, IA that the shifter was saying things that Dean truly felt on some level, too. But the best scene was the fight between ShifterDean and Sam and OurDean coming in to finish the shifter off-his face said it all, but also showed us that that particular "monster" inside Dean could not and would not be denied either. 

No Exit-this one became better with time for me-and especially after the writers abandoned the idea of Dean and Jo hooking up romantically, because that was the big turn-off for me in this one. She looked like a sixteen year old child to me. He was a grown man. And he' been trying to fill a grown man's shoes since he was a child. I could not see him ever being the least bit interested in her in a sexual/romantic way-maybe in her mother, but not her. I did also love when he talked about John and shooting the bottles off the fence, too. The softening of his features was a thing of such beauty and then the look of guilt that followed. Just wonderful. Simply wonderful. I also liked when he told her that she should reconsider taking up the hunting life, and admitted that he'd been hunting from such an early age and for such a long time, that for him any real "choice", in that regard, had been made pretty much made impossible, specifically for those reasons. I loved that part so much because that was exactly how I saw and perceived Dean's life and childhood also.

Read Sky at Morning-Not a good episode for Dean at all. Jensen was Beautiful, though. The objectifying scene is still a constantly seen gif everywhere I go. And at least Bella had to come grovel to them to save her life, after being written as a Mary Sue thief.  I loved! Dean's little pretend shooting her in the head moment. And his panic over losing Baby will never not be funny.

Yellow Fever-Jensen owned this one, but yes, I again agree that reducing Dean's hell trauma to a comedy was so sucky of the writers. We got Eye of the Tiger out of this one, though. That's probably what I liked the most about this episode.

I Believe the Children are Our Future-The kid dominated this one. I liked when Dean asked him to bring Cas back from being an action figure. You could tell that he was really worried about Cas there.

You Can't Handle the Truth-I love this episode for a few scenes-the one where Dean is in the bar and realizes that he's been infected is fantastic-first his interactions with the bartender and then with the girl who had the boob job-So. Funny. I LOL every time I re-watch that part. Every single time. And then when he confronts Sam on the stairs in the house after having lost Lisa just moments before-again he just looks So. Done. In. there. So tired and weary of it all and doubting of his own sanity, too. And then the end when he again confronts SoullessSam, but this time beats the crap out of him. I don't think there's ever been a more cathartic moment for me on this show than that scene. I remember feeling like my heart was going to beat out of my chest when I first watched that scene-and it still feels the same way for me even on re-watches. 

Slash Fiction-LeviathonDean FTW! Loved him. So much.

Southern Comfort-Hated this one for basically the same reasons that ILoveReading stated. The very same ones. But Dean telling Sam that Benny was a better brother to him than Sam had ever been rang true for me. And this, even if half of the fandom hated that he said it.

Heaven Can't Wait-I liked the Dean and Cas stuff in this one, too.

Ask Jeeves-Again IA with ILoveReading. I liked this episode very much for the Dean/JA stuff, too. And yes, especially the ending and those empty eyes of his...

Our Little World-This one was kind of complicated for me in that I really think that the writers initially wanted to go for a romantic vibe between Dean and Amara, but Dean(and likely JA, too) were just undone by that thought especially when he was seeing a TeenagedAmara right in front of him. I thought that scene was so well done by Jensen. So very well done. And I further think that this scene might even have influenced the writers decision to abandon the more romantic/sexual aspect between the two characters. Again, that was some Power Ackting there, IMO. 

Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox-Definitely one of the few bright spots in S12. Dean was written and depicted as a very capable hunter, who could influence a reaper, and he was badass and his feelings weren't trivialized as overly dramatic or dismissed as unimportant in this one. I loved him coming through the door, back into the house.

Favorite-Skin   Least Favorite-Southern Comfort

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 4

Season 1- Skin

Season 2- No Exit

Season 4- Yellow Fever

Season 7- Slash Fiction

Season 10- Ask Jeeves

fAvorite Episode: Skin, Least Favorite-OUr Little World

Skin: Jensen's best scenes are as the shifter, IMO, but he was totally fantasic.

NO exit: Kind of a ho-hum episode, but I did like the scene where Dean and Jo were talking about their dads.  It was a sweet moment.  And also when Dean tells her that she has someone who cares about and you don't throw things like that awy.

Red Sky at Morning: Not crazy about this episode.  Dean looks nice all dressed up, though.  And I like the little smirk he has when he turns away from Bela after telling her not to objectify him. But, oh, how I hate Bela.  She is my least favorite character of the whole series

Yellow Fever: I love love love this episode.  Dean screaming over the cat is hysterical. Running from the dog "Run. He'll kill you."  the look on the homeless guy's face is a priceless, and accurate, reaction to that. "I'll man the flashlight."  

I Believe the Childrenare our Future: Again, I don't feellike this episode is the greatest, but I like it.  I do feel that it was completely OOC of Dean to joy buzzer Sam with a previously fatal joy buzzer on a "hunch" but Sam's reaction was kind of funny, so I might forgive it.  

You Can't Handle the tRuth: I love this epi, too.  I think my favorite part was his phone convo with Lisa. That was just never going to work out.  I also liked when they were tied up and Veritas was forcing them to tell the truth.  Dean's expression when Veritas said that Sam wasn't human was perfect as usual

Slash Fictin: I also love this episode.  I think they both did great in their double duties as S &d and the leviathans. 

Southern Comfort: So-so episode.  I don't really have much to say about it.

Heaven Can't WAit: this is mostly a Cas episode.  So, not one of my favorites, obviously.  I do have to say (Yes I know we are discussing dean, but I don't compartmentalize that well) that I thought the scene where cas was singing Believe It or Not to Baby Tania was really cute. And, I thought Dean was a bit harsh towards cas, but it was nice that he apologized at the end.

Ask Jeeves-I like this epi.  But, I've only seen it twice, and don't really remember anything stand out that Dean did.  

OUr Little world-No tcrazy at all about this epi.  Don't even really remember it.  

Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox: Haven't fully decided about this epi.  Only seen it once.  I think my favorite Dean line was (and I'm paraphrasing a tad because I'm going to look it up): "You should know that since the last time we saw you, I killed Hitler."  Made perfect by Jodie's questioning reaction of "Thanks?"  

• Love 1

Episode 7 next. 

Season 1- Hook Man

Season 2- The Usual Suspects

Season 3- Fresh Blood

Season 4- It's the Great Pumpkin Sam Winchester

Season 5- The Curious Case of Dean Winchester

Season 6- Family Matters

Season 7- The Mentalists

Season 8- A Little Slice of Kevin

Season 9- Bad Boys

Season 10- Girls Girls Girls

Season 11- Plush

Season 12- Rock Never Dies

Hook Man- Okay episode.  Creepy in parts and I like that we find out Dean came up with the salt rounds.  I always like seeing Dean's smarts and out of the box thinking.

The Usual Suspects- Another one I really liked.  If they want to showcase the connection between Sam and Dean this should be how they do it rather than a certain episode that shall remain nameless.  Watching this i never had the impression that Sam or Dean had that story rehearsed, but they matched down to the last detail.  Jensen was also good in the interrogation scenes.  I liked learning some of Sam and Dean's secret codes.  I enjoyed Linda Blair and interactions with Dean.

Fresh Blood- Okay ep.  But I disliked Dean being played for a fool.  Bella just betrayed them no way Dean believes her that she just wants to thank them and flat out hands her their location.  I really liked Jensen's scenes in the hotel room after he runs after the vampires and tells Sam he just went for a pizza.  You can really see that walls Dean has up to help him deal with going to hell and just how reckless he is.  Nobody does that hardened "I'm fine" exterior/ I'm a mess inside better than Jensen.  He appears cool, calm and collected but then you see the little tells with a look, or a tone, or body language.  We need an episode where Dean is curse and cant' speak just so I can watch Jensen's non-verbal acting. 

It's the Great Pumpkin Sam Winchester- I liked this one.  No real stand outs or bad moments. 

The Curious Case of Dean Winchester- This was not a great ep.  I really disliked that we finally get to see Dean play poker and he loses.  I get that he had to for the ep to work, but he could have been cursed in some other way. 

Family Matters- Not much sticks out.  But I disliked Gwen calling Dean the reject (or whatever word she used).

The Mentalists- Loved this one.  Dean's interactions with Melanie were great.   Plus, I enjoyed Dean finally getting to deliver his own boo hoo suck it up type lecture.  NGL, I found it very satisfying because I found the whole Amy drama blown out of proportion.  There was a good case.  I liked the guest star.

A Little Slice of Kevin- Another one I loved, loved, loved.  Give me purgatory Dean any day.  I admit was a little worried that they were going to write Dean as having left Cas behind so I was glad that didn't happen.  I loved the dynamic between Dean, Cas and Benny.   Jensen was so good in this ep when we saw his worry that he was seeing things when he started seeing Cas.  The scene between Dean and Cas where Cas tell him what really happened, is still one of my favorite interactions between them.  My heart just broke for Dean when he felt so guilty he made up false memories.  Cas reassuring him it wasn't his fault was nice to see. .  "You can't save everyone my friend, thought you try."  I know this is the Dean thread, but I need to through some props Misha's way for how he delivered that line.  It was so gentle and sincere.  I am so glad they didn't go the 'bossy Dean trying to take away Cas's right to stay in Purgatory"  I liked that Cas really appreciated Dean trying to save him. 

Bad Boys- Another great ep.  I liked that we got to see into Dean's past.  Plus, Sonny was a great character.  Dean's interactions with Timmy were great.  Deans' ability to bond with traumatized children in one of my favorite qualities.   It showed just how much of "blunt little instrument" Dean really was to John.  Dean makes a mistake and John "leaves him to rot."  Then only comes for him when he needs him.  Poor Dean.  Major props to Dylan Everett too.  Especially in that last scene where we see Dean trying to decide to go with his family or stay.   You could see how torn he was.  Another aspect I really liked was Dean that we got to see that can succeed outside of hunting.  He was making friends, getting good grades, good at sports.  There is nothing I dislike more than the "loser Dean" trope so thanks to Adam Glass for that. 

Girls Girls Girls- I liked Dean kicking Cole's butt again.  Plus, I liked that Dean immediately picked up on the fact that the girl really wasn't into it.  Jensen was so good in that end speech.  No Dean you are not past saving. 

Plush- Nothing really sticks out good or bad in this ep.  It was kind of 'meh.  Since I ship Dean and Donna it was a little disappointing that that we didn't get more interaction between the two.

Rock Never Dies- Dean in Leather.  That is all.

• Love 4

Season 1- Hook Man

Season 3- Fresh Blood

Season 6- Family Matters

Season 7- The Mentalists

Season 9- Bad Boys

Season 11- Plush

Season 12- Rock Never Dies

Favorite episode: Hook Man; Least Favorite: A Little Slice of Kevin

Hook Man: I love when Dean gumbles to himself.  "Next time I'll stay and watch the pretty girl."  He's so cute every time he does it.

The Usual Suspects: This episode was fun the way Sam was saying what happened and then seeing what really happened.  best Dean line: "pee break?  already? Might want to get your prostate checked."  And, then at the end when Diana and pete were fighting and Sam looked to Dean for permission on whether or not to jump him or whatever and dEan shook his head no.  That kind of makes me wonder how people can deny Dean was definitely the more in charge of the two in earlier seasons.

Fresh Blood: Gordon's death was gross. Which kind of colors my view of the episode as a whole.  But, Dean was mostly being Dean in this episode.  Keeping his game face on.  And, the end where he was teaching Sam how to fix the car.  Because he was going to need to know these things in the future.  Sniff Sniff. 

It's the Great Pumkin: I like this episode a lot. "ASTRONAUT!!!"  Hee hee.  "You took a shot?"  Yeah, Dean, it's OK.  How often do you two know for sure anythings' going to work?

The Curious Case of Dean Winchester: This episode was OK. While Chad Everett was fine as random guy who became old, I just didn't really buy him as Dean.  But, maybe that's because I have a different conception of old man Dean?  I don't know. 

Family Matters:  Not super crazy about this episode, but it's alright.  Dean's speech to Sam about soullessness or the mumps was interesting, but I don't know if true.  Because I never really figured out exactly what soullessness is.  I liked his "moment" with Gwen.  For a Campbell, she was OK.

The Mentalists: Again, just OK.  I liked Melanie and Dean's interaction with her.  Not much to say about this epi in general.

A Little Slice of Kevin.  Don't really like this epi. Not even sure why.  I did like the Dean and Cas parts in present time, though, believe it or not.  Dean's concern for him and questioning how he came back was pretty spot on and in character.

Bad Boys: Love this epi.  My fave of the season, but it's my least fave season, so take that for what it's worth.  I do have a problem with the ages, but I'll look past that.  Dylan Everett did a great job, IMO.  I always love Dean's interactions with kids and Timmy was no exceptin.

Girls Girls Girls: I just rewatched this one recently and decided I liked it much more than I thought I did.  Probably my re-evaluation of Rowena may have had something to do with it.  She really grew on me as time went by.  But, Dean's scenes with Cole were the best.  I do kind of wonder why the boys are so adamant about not paying, though.

Plush: I've only seen this twice.  I think I liked it.  But, I don't really remember much specifically about Dean.  I think I mostly liked it for the Sam and Donna parts, both their interactions, Donna and her new Doug, and Sam's fear of clowns, once again.

Rock Never Dies: This is the opposite of Girls Girls Girls.  I thought I REALLY liked this epi., but on second watch, I was like OK.  They looked good posing as rockers or whatever.  That's about all I can think of at the moment.  I think the first time, I was mostly just pleasantly surprised by Rick Springfield.

• Love 1

Came across this video of Jensen talking about his excitement for playing Demon Dean, which was two years ago and IMO I think he'd be happy again to play an different version of Dean or another character. He was so darn excited and into it! Sigh.

He talks about it about 25 seconds in and then again at 4:00 minutes in.

• Love 2

Discuss Dean in episode 8

Season 1- Bugs

Season 2- Crossroad Blues

Season 3- A Very Supernatural Christmas

Season 4- Wishful Thinking

Season 5- Changing Channels

Season 6- All Dogs go to Heaven

Season 7- Season 7 Time for a Wedding.

Season 8- Hunter Heroici

Season 9- Rock and a Hard Place

Season 10- Hibbing 911

Season 11- Just My Imagination

Season 12- LOTUS

Looking at this list, it seems ep 8 really is mostly 'Meh from a Dean POV. 

Bugs- I know this often gets tops worst episode lists, but I always kind of liked it.  I thought we got some great insights into Sam and Dean.   I feel for both Jensen and Jared having to work with the bees. 

Crossroad Blues- I loved this one.  The guilt of his dad's deal is weighing heavily on Dean's shoulders.  I especially liked the end scene with Dean confronting the demon when she offers to give him John back.  You can see that Dean was really considering agreeing to her terms.  I liked the way Dean had the dual devils traps, anticipating she'd see the one under the car.  Smart Dean for the win.  On a shallow note, we get Dean reading Latin.  (I think this was for the first time).

A Very Supernatural Christmas-  I have mixed feelings about the episode overall.  Jensen was great as usual but my heart really broke for Dean in this one.  He just wants one last Christmas, and it was good to see him get it, but it loses something when he has to spell out in no uncertain terms why it was so important to him.  It also ruined Dean's amulet for me because I never liked the back story.  It comes across as Sam giving it to him out of spite.  (Back in s3 I was very much still a brothers fan, so was extremely disappointed).  It also showed another aspect of just how hard it was for Dean growing up.   I always wondered if the main reason why Dean stole Christmas was so that Sam didn't lose faith in John.  If Dean was just doing it for Sam to have a holiday, I think we would have seen more signs.  Sam and Dean didn't seem to have gotten anything for each other. 

Wishful Thinking- Okay ep.  I did like the scene at the end where Dean tells Sam that he remembers hell.

Changing Channels- okay ep.  I did like Dean figuring out that the Trickster was Gabriel. 

All Dogs go to Heaven- I'm drawing a blank mostly on this one.  I do remember Dean with the sniper rifle and that it made me want to see Jensen in a war movie. 

Season 7 Time for a Wedding-  One of the worst eps.  But shallow note- Dean in a sweater vest.

Hunter Heroici- Been a while since I watched this, but I don't remember any real stand out Dean moments.

Rock and A Hard Place- kind of 'meh.  I did like the scene at at the end where Dean was trapped with everyone.  Leadership is one of my favorite Dean characteristics.  (I'll missed this characteristic so much).  Dean taking charge and keeping everyone calm, and putting the jerk in his place was a joy to watch.  It made me want a whole episode based on the concept of Dean being trapped with a bunch of people in a haunted house and him having to lead them to safety. 

Hibbing 911- I did like this one since I'm a big fan of Donna.  But no real stand out Dean moments. 

Just My Imagination- This was a complete failure of an episode.  All it did was leave me feeling bad for Dean, and showed just how impossible his childhood was.   He was supposed to be in two places at once.  The fact that Dean didn't get a imaginary because he was never a kid is heartbreaking.  Plus, the zanna seemed kind of creepy.  There was nothing funny about this ep, and they didn't seem very good at their jobs. .  You don't encourage 9 years olds to run away.   I never understood why they didn't set this.  Given that John was worried something was after Sam, and given what Dean and John knew of the Supernatural, I can't see both John and Dean just blindly accepting that Sam is suddenly has an imaginary friend, especially given his age.  I think the concept would have worked better in Dean's early childhood (like five or 6) and the Zanna coming to both Dean and Sam to help them cope. 

LOTUS- I don't think this one has a single redeeming feature.  Dean was completely irrelevant. 

Best ep- Crossroad Blues, Worst ep- tie between LOTUS and Just my Imagination

• Love 1

Season 1- Bugs

Season 8- Hunter Heroici

Season 10- Hibbing 911

Season 12- LOTUS

Least favorite episode: Lotus, Favorite episode; A Very Supernatural Christmas

Bugs: I actually like this episode except for the ridiculously boring and pointless climax.  But, we got a lot of background into their childhood and I actually found the story about the Indian curse interesting.  but, you're right.  Not supermuch from a Dean POV.  My fave Dean part was when he conned Sam into going into the hole

Crossroad blues: This one was all about Dean.  And I loved his scenes with the CRD and how he did the hard thing and instead of selling his soul for his dad, he trapped her and freed Evan.

A Very Supernatural Chirstmas:  I love love love this episode.  It was sad seeing how Dean wanted one last Christmas even though he had never cared much about it before.  And the scene where they exchanged gifts at the end was priceless.

Wishful Thinking-This one was just OK.  I loved the teddy bear, but that has nothing to do with Dean.  I liked that Dean told Sam that yes, he did remember and no, he wasn't going to tell him about it.  Perfectly reasonable, IMO.

Changihg Channels-I love this one, too.  Funny.  Love the CSI: Miami spoof by both of them.  Love Dean fangirling over Dr. Sexy. 

All Dogs Go to Heaven-In the minority, but I really like this one, too.  I'm just not sure why exactly  I do really love that last scene.

Season 7 Time for a Wedding-Meh.  Dean's reactions to Garth are amusing.

Hunteri Heroic: I like this one, too.  Dean's "cartoon" chase and fight with that guy were kind of funny.  More of a Sam epi, though

Rock and a Hard Place-Not crazy about this one.  Kind of hate Dean in it, honestly.

Hibbing 911-Not crazy bout this one either.  Only good part about it was Jodie and Donna.

Just My Imagination: I like this one, but obviously more of a Sam epi

Lotus: Argh, I just can't with all the stupidity.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, ILoveReading said:

Episode 7 next. 

Season 1- Hook Man

Season 3- Fresh Blood

Season 6- Family Matters

Season 7- The Mentalists

Season 9- Bad Boys

Season 11- Plush

Season 12- Rock Never D

I'm just going to go broad and general with these episodes and say that I actually loved every single scene that Jensen was a part of in all of these episodes except for The Curious Case of Dean Winchester and the last two-of which all I can remember is those very strange costumes in Plush, and yes, Dean in that Leather! in Rock Never Dies.

I'd have to go with The Mentalists as my favorite. I loved Dean and Melanie and, of course, the resolution to the brother conflict which had me literally(and surprisingly) cheering this time around. I just re-watched The Girl Next Door last week and even that episode felt better on the re-watch just knowing that Dean wasn't going to be forced by the writers to apologize for killing Amy. And Jensen was Amazing in those particular scenes too, when Dean actually killed her. So much going on with Dean under the surface during that entire storyline, and it all began there, with that kill. Tons of conflict inside of him, but the part that was The Hunter, first and foremost, in him became the source of the deciding factor by the end of that episode. I loved that and loved the Ackting that just brought that idea home so well in that episode. And he explained it all perfectly and in such Dean-like fashion in The Mentalists. I have actually come to appreciate this storyline so much more after all these years and after what's come down the pipe since then. IMO, these types of brotherly conflicts were actually very gray and added more to the storytelling than having Dean fold like a card table just to keep the peace during times of disagreement in/with a family that rarely listens to what he has to say, anyway. The Mentalists was an episode that was a long time coming, IMO. And I'm still not sure how it got past the showrunner(s), but  I do know that this was the only episode that this duo of writers ever gave us.

My least favorite was The Curious Case of Dean Winchester. Dean's happy dance at the end is all that I want to remember about that one.

Going shallow here...Part of what I loved about so many of these episodes was how beautifully Jensen was shot in all of them-the early episodes especially, but even as time went on it became apparent to me that the camera was always going to love him like it loves nobody else for me.

• Love 6

Oh my God! This has become my favorite thread! I have nothing to add, except to say the insights you all have are just...I don't know what else to say! I've so enjoyed reading this, and please, keep it up!

• Love 1

Brought over from the "How things work" thread:

On 10/7/2017 at 10:51 AM, catrox14 said:

Cas craving burgers IMO was nothing more than a plot point to demonstrate that Dean was dead inside because he didn't crave anything and an angel inside a vessel did.  And to set up Sam deciding that Dean has given up and is committing suicide by going to say yes to Michael because Sam heard Famine say that about Dean right before Sam Ipecac'd Famine to death vs Dean making a choice to say yes to fight Lucifer because he thinks Sam is gong to say Yes to Lucifer.

Couldn't Dean's motivations be both? Dean giving up and saying yes to fight Lucifer? Because I think it's a bit of both with Dean's lack of faith in Sam now (and thinking that Sam is going to say yes) contributing to his giving up. Dean has given up - even to the point of potential semi-suicide - on some occasions before, so for me this didn't come out of nowhere. And for me, Dean not insisting on saving everyone - as he usually does - by considering the Michael option is in a way Dean "giving up," because he would be giving up on his usual convictions

As for Sam's thoughts on Dean, I don't think Sam needed to hear Famine's words to Dean - and I'm not even sure if he did, or if he did if it even registered, because of the state that Sam was in - in order to come to the conclusion he did. The events of "Dark Side of the Moon" and "99 Problems" would have brought him to the same conclusion, I think. And I can also see why Sam would be seeing Dean's motivation that way, too. He was under the impression that Dean and he had become more of a team again. He didn't know the extent of Dean's lack of confidence in him, since Sam had been supporting Dean's "just say no" plan for quite a while now and had just gotten a "pep talk" of sorts in "Sam Interrupted" where Dean didn't give any indication that he lacked confidence in Sam. But Dean seemed to be acting a bit weirdly in "My Bloody Valentine" (and Sam suspected something wrong from early in the episode during the "Unleash the Kraken" talk.) and especially "Dark Side of the Moon," but since Sam wasn't giving up or planning to say "yes," he didn't suspect Dean would think that way either, so for Sam, Dean giving up would be more of the accusation... and especially because Sam was somewhat angry, too. Dean wasn't exactly sharing in what he was thinking or in his change of plans, he just pretty much took off.

I did love that Sam, despite his anger / annoyance, learned from Dean's mistake in "When the Levee Breaks" though and was able to counter Dean's "and you're not hopped up on demon blood this time" with "no, but I brought help." Resourceful Sam with a backup plan for the win.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:17 PM, catrox14 said:

I wasn't trying to imply that Cas was secondary to s5. I don't think he was. He was important to taking out the angels in PoNR. He mattered with trying to find God. His friendship with Dean was still important. I'm just saying that for that particular episode, the status of his vessel craving burgers was just to serve that episode and highlight Dean's apparent failures as a human being.  

Dean is human. He had a momentary setback which he later overcame in "Point of No Return" to kill Zachariah and get back on board with his original plan. If this was to highlight Dean's "apparent failures as a human being" what would that say about Sam's entire arc in season 4? I personally don't think that Dean having a momentary setback is somehow a commentary on Dean as a character in general, just as I don't think "On the Head of a Pin" (around a similar time in the season) was saying what a failure Dean was as a person. It was a low point that Dean would later overcome.

If anything, to me, Famine commenting that Dean was dead inside - if Famine is to be believed* - but despite that still "kept going through the motions" (i.e. trying to fight anyway) was more of a comment that Dean didn't give up even when he'd given up. That even at his lowest point, Dean continued fighting the inevitable. So I didn't see Dean being called a failure at all, but someone so stubborn that he'd fight on even when he thought it was hopeless, because he still had to try. It was in his nature to do so.

* But as with War with Sam, I'm a bit dubious in that I think there was an exaggeration happening.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:45 PM, Airmid said:

Though, I always thought his failing during famine was two fold. 1) Highlight Dean's failure at being alive (this was an angel who figured out how to contact them in heaven, grabbed Adam from heaven and even killed a horseman when he was human let alone lite an archangel on fire but he gives in to famine's physical cravings) and 2) Sam's entrance and salvation.

And I don't mean that as a rib at Sam at all. None whatsoever. I think it's pretty neat that Sam was in the throws of famine, gave in for a moment and still managed to pull through. I think that's a neat character arc for him to reject his past mistakes for his brother. 

I just wish they hadn't said Dean was 'empty' in order to do so.

I'm a little confused - which is probably my fault - about your #1 here. What do you mean by "Dean's failure at being alive?" If you mean Famine's comment about Dean being "dead inside," I still contend - as I said above - that the fact that Dean still fought despite that is not really saying to me that Dean is a failure. But that's just my thoughts on the matter.

And I don't think Castiel grabbed Adam from heaven. Another angel(s) - probably Zachariah or Michael - resurrected Adam. Castiel just listened to "angel radio" and knew where to go to intercept Adam as he dug his way out. I also don't think Castiel was entirely human when he killed Pestilence. I think there was at least a "smidgen" of angel in there.

Edited by AwesomO4000
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, ILoveReading said:

Discuss Dean in episode 8

Season 1- Bugs

Season 8- Hunter Heroici

Season 10- Hibbing 911

Season 12- LOTUS

No time for all of them, so I'll just do what I Can for now...

Bugs-The scene when Dean told Sam that John was always proud of him stands out for me because of the longing for that from John in Dean's own face was clear as day. Beautiful, subtle Ackting there. We see it again in S2 in the scene with Jo when Dean talks about shooting bottles off the fence and how proud his dad was of his 6 year old son back then. So compelling.

Crossroad Blues-This episode is one of my favorites of the entire series. The mood and settings were so dark and gritty. I loved the Robert Johnson story and, in hindsight, this was the episode that telegraphed the deal that Dean would make at the end of the season better than any other, even while we see Dean so utterly and completely torn up and, in some ways, destroyed forever, over the deal that John had made to bring him back. I remember begging the writers via the boards to release John from Hell by the season's end so that Dean wouldn't have to suffer from the guilt of it any more. Jensen was Simply Amazing in that way in S2 and with the fallout from his own deal in S3. I was so in love with this show back then. Dean Latinating became one of my biggest turn-ons after this one.  And that kiss at the end was probably my favorite kiss of the series ever. So full of NEED! on both sides. I still replay it over and over again when I re-watch this episode-which I want to do right now! ;-)

A Very Supernatural Christmas-I hated what they did with the Amulet. I thought there would be more of a Dean-centered backstory to go along with it, but, again in hindsight, it's easy to see that they were pushing the brother bond because that was what they felt was the bread and butter of the show, even with Sam's 5 season long psychic/Lucifer's vessel storyline going on, too. The relentless pushing of the bond didn't bother me as much back then and I actually liked all the Dean scenes in this one. He was funny and an awesome hunter and all this while hoping that his last Christmas might still be able to contain a little joy for him. The scene when they talked about this was heartbreaking even though I kind of hated Sam during that conversation. I was happy that he relented at the end, though, and Dean coming in the door and seeing it all made me think that he WAS truly a bonafide angel sent by God to watch over his little brother. Dean was Beautiful Beyond Words in that scene, IMO. Ethereal to be precise.

Wishful Thinking- I loved all the Dean scenes in this one. All of them. I especially loved when he told Sam that he just wanted "to work". His single word of "Please..." again bringing such  simplicity, subtlety, and realism  to that little, but very human, exchange between the brothers. I liked that his increased drinking was highlighted in this one, too. I loved the interactions with Audrey. His reaction to the depressed teddy bear was Gold.

Sorry, I'll have to pick this up again tomorrow. Work calls.

• Love 2

I believe we are on episode 9.

Season 1- Home

Season 2- Croatoan

Season 3- Malleus Maleficarum

Season 4- I know What You did Last Summer

Season 5- The Real Ghostbusters

Season 6- Clap Your Hands if you Believe

Season 7- How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters

Season 8- Citizen Fang

Season 9- Holy Terror

Season 10- The Things We Left Behind

Season 11- Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Season 12- First Blood

Home- This started off pretty good.  Dean's struggles with being back in Lawrence were written all over Jensen's very expressive face.  It's too bad they were dropped half way through.  Despite Misery, Jensen was so good in this.  I really liked the phone call.  I think its the first time we see Dean fully drop his mask and see behind those walls.  I also liked a small blink and you miss it moment.  When Dean was putting together the purification bags you see him taste the ingredients.  So Dean.  There was a cut scene on the DVD that I wish they'd left in.  When Sam and Dean were talking to John's old partner, Mike tells them he called social services on John.  It explains why John took off. 

Croatoan- Loved this one.  Dean's reaction after Sam was infected was heartbreaking.  I was never a fan of Dean trying to sacrifice himself for Sam, and I liked that the show treated this as part of Dean's screwed up psyche rather then romantizing it like an episode that shall not be named did.  I also like it when characters are put in a posistion to make hard decisions.  It keeps things interesting.  Dean wrestling with the of whether or not he should kill Duane.  It shows its easier to say your going to do it then to actually pull the trigger.  I like to credit both Dean's instincts and the fact that he couldn't really just execute a teenager. It's an interesting comparison to when he;'s later faced with the decision to kill Cyrus.    We also saw that Dean can make the hard choice when he killed the girl earlier.  There were also a small moment after Dean locked the door after he decided to stay with Sam.  There was just this one moment where you could see Dean wrestling with John's last words, and the devastation that he might have to kill Sam written all over his face.   I think this was a big part of why Dean came clean at the end of this ep.

Malleus Maleficarum- I liked this ep okay, but there are no real stand out Dean moments.  Its been a long time since I watched it but the thing I remember most is Dean feeling sorry for the bunny.

I know What you Did Last Summer- More of a Sam ep.  But for me it showed that Dean wasn't as closed minded to Ruby as the show tried to tell us.  When Sam finally came clean Dean listened.  He didn't even judge Sam when he said he was sleeping with Ruby.  His only reaction was TMI

The Real Ghostbusters- I kind of liked this one.  I liked the twist with it being the kids who were the bad ones.

Clap Your Hands if you Believe- This one doesn't really stick out.  Expect it made me realize how much Dean's trauma is often played for laughs.  I'm sure Dean suffered all forms of torture when he was hell.  To have it as a punch line will never not annoy me. 

How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters- I wasn't a big fan of this episode.  But I did like Jensen in this one.  Jensen was great after Dean was effected by the grey sludge.  "I don't care that I don't care."  It was good to see the weight come off his shoulders, even for a few moments.

Citizen Fang- Loved, loved, loved, it.  Unfortunately, the last good ep of s8. Dean's instincts were spot on.  He knew it wasn't Benny.  He was willing to stand up for himself and his friend.  I also liked that when Dean went to confront Benny he took a machete, which showed he was actually willing to do what he said if Benny messed up.  Whether he would have done it/could have is up for debate, but I do believe Dean would have.  But I'm glad Benny remains the one person who didn't betray Dean. 

Holy Terror- More of a Sam ep, but Jensen was fantastic in that final scene after he discover's Kevin's death.  That whole gauntlet of emotions that ran across Dean's face, from disbelieve, anger, sadness, acceptance, and you can the moment the guilt threatens to bury Dean alive. 

The Things We Left Behind- Mostly what I remember about this one was the bait and switch the promos pulled.  It made it seem like this ep was going to be all about Dean, only to have it all about Claire.  The end though....I can't say enough how good Jensen is with stuff like that.  How does he manage to make Dean seem to small, young and vunerable while covered in a blood surrounded by bodies?  I also liked the CBGBs scene because I always like when we get info about Dean's past.  I'm guessing that's why Dean knows what Roofies look like. 

Oh Brother Where Art Thou- This ep was disappointing.  I remember being excited that Jensen filmed for 3 days with Emily, but then the scene basically just turned out to be a repeat of everything that came before.  It seemed more like a place to park Dean so Sam could go into the cage.  IMO, Dean was kind of irrelavant to the over all ep.

First Blood- "We're not trapped out here with you.  You're trapped out here with us."  I think this was also the last good ep for Dean this season.  I'm honestly shocked Dean was the one that was allowed to say it.  Id have liked to see more of Dean in isolation.   I did not like that once again they felt the need to devalue Dean's hell experience. 

Favorite ep- Citizen Fang, least favorite- tie between Oh Brother Where art Thou and Clap Your hands.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 3

Season 1- Home

Season 2- Croatoan

Season 3- Malleus Maleficarum

Season 4- I know What You did Last Summer

Season 5- The Real Ghostbusters

Season 6- Clap Your Hands if you Believe

Season 7- How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters

Season 8- Citizen Fang

Season 9- Holy Terror

Season 10- The Things We Left Behind

Season 11- Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Season 12- First Blood

For some reason, I feel like I've already done 9, but I looked up and the alst thing I posted was 8.  If you forget things you've already done, does that mean you can remember things you haven't done yet?

Fave epi: Home or Croatoan.  Least fave: Te Things We Left Behind.

Home-I love this ep.  Dean's great in the scene where he calls his dad.  Also at the beginning when he tells Sam that he promised himself he'd never go back there.  That broke my heart a little.  Maybe even more than a little.  And, it was pretty cool how he flipped the table up.  Not sure the poltergeist would give up that easy, but I guess its focus was divided.

Croatoan-Love this epi, too.  dean struggling with himself about whether or not to kill Dwayne.  Not sure shooting him would have helped because he was a demon, but maybe it would have because he would have just left?  That's one of those things we'll never know.  Anyway, Dean wanting to stay with Sam was stupid yet sweet.   And, no Dean, you don't need to bang Lindsay Lohan.  (see typing that, I could swear I've done it before. But, I looked again 8 is last).

Malleus Maleficarum-I like this epi, too. The last scene with Dean and Ruby is one of my favorite from this season.  

I Know What You Did Last Sumemr-I love this one but more of a SAm episode, obviously.

The REal Ghostbusters-I like this episode.  Dean and not-Dean were funny.  Not-Dean pulling back his jacket to reveal his plastic gun and Dean doing the same with his real gun. Although, I do think it was out of character for him to do that to people who were just annoying him, I'll give it a pass.  "Give her the puppy dog thing."  "You'll be fine."  Shrugs when she's out of sight.  Then, I really like how Not-Dean told him he didn't get the story.  That has to be annoying to hear about your own life.  Hee hee.

Clap Your Hands-This one was one of the more palatable SS episodes.  Sam was more funny than anything else. Dean and Tinkerbell was funny.  Nipples?  And, Sam telling Dean to run because he didn't want to get probed or something and Dean telling him to have empathy as he's running from the "aliens."  And the scene in the trailer was funny.  And, Dean saying I'm just kidding after tackling the lawyer.

HOw to Win Friends-I don't really like this epi.  It's probably mostly because it's the one where they kill Bobby.  But, for whatever reason, I just can't get behind it.  Bobby's speech to Dean about finding a reason to continue was great and then Dean just shrugging it off and saying they needed to buy him a condo was typical dean deflection, which was actually good because it showed he was trying to be his old self.  And Turducken stoned dean was pretty fun.

Citizen Fang-This was my fave Benny episode.  But, I dont' really feel like Dean was doing that much because it was mostly about Benny/Martin and Sam/Amelia.  And, I'm sorry, but I will always find it ridiculous that Dean says that Benny is the only person who has never let him down. Well, sure, Dean, you've only known him  alittle over a year, and he needed you big time that year.  I'm sure you can search back in your mind and find one year that SAm didn't do anything to let you down either. ditto Bobby. Possibly even John.

Holy Terror-I liked this episode.  Probably a lot of that has to do with the fact that this is where everything came to a head. I was getting sick of GadZeke just popping up whenever he felt like it.

The things We Left Behind-I really don't like this episode.  

O Brother Where Art Thou-I like this epi, but it kind of makes no sense as to why Dean would choose to go investigate a case when he wants to be there when SAm talks to Lucifer.  It also makes no sense that SAm doesn't ask why when Rowena tells him they have to do it right now.  Really?  Why?  Not a fan of the whole Amara character or storyline, so not much to say about Dean this epi.  Other than great look of shock when his blade shatters when he tries to stab her.

First Blood-Again, lots of stuff that doesn't make sense, but still an awesome epi.  I love the chase through the woods.  Dean telling him that they're not trapped out there with the gov, it's the other way around.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Myrelle said:

Season 8- Hunter Heroici

Season 10- Hibbing 911

Season 12- LOTUS

So I just remembered that I need to finish this...

Changing Channels-love Dean in this one and love the episode, too. So many good and funny moments. I love Dean and his tv viewing choices. And we even got a bonus HurtDean when he was shot in the back. His face through that little hole in the table cracked me up, but the best was the Japanese game show. Too. Funny. And Jensen's facial expressions even had my hubs LOL(this is one of the few episodes that we've ever watched together on TNT, I think). And yes, Dean figuring out that the Trickster was an angel was another bonus. JA was so beautiful in that last scene.

All Dogs Go to Heaven-SniperDean FTW!

Time for a Wedding-Just a meh episode. The scene when Dean gave the "happy" couple a waffle iron is hilarious. He tries to tell them how to work it, but yeah, he doesn't really know for sure; makes me chuckle just typing this. :-D

Hunter Heroici-I honestly LOVED! that Dean was literally labelled Hunterus Heroicus in this episode.

Rock and a Hard Place-I really liked this one a lot. There was all kinds of Dean hate after this one aired, but I don't care. I loved him in this episode. Loved his description of sex. That was amazing. Loved him with Susie. Loved what he said to her about what constitutes "bad" for him and it was never, ever someone like her. According to Dean, she was everything that all good things were made up of. Definitely, the good stuff for him and in his life. Loved that. So much. And YES! to LeaderDean trapped in the basement. "Maybe we'll give you to it, if you don't shut your pie hole!" Yay! Dean!!

Hibbing 911-I think this one was ok, but sometimes I get the Donna episodes confused even though I like her as a character. This was the one when Jodie and Donna first met, I think, and Dean got a nice werewolf kill at the end. That worked for me.

I skipped both Just My Imagination and LOTUS after reading the comments, interviews, and reviews of them. Not regretful of that either. Not in the least.

Favorite: Crossroad Blues 

I won't pick a least favorite since I skipped a couple, but I bet it would have been Just My Imagination. ;-)

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I skipped both Just My Imagination

It's too bad you missed the Sparkle scene then. Dean was funny in that scene. They were all just horrified / disgusted and trying to give advice at the same time... It didn't entirely end well, but it was so funny. Broad humor, yes, ("She has Sparkle on her face!") but I laughed anyway. And I loved Dean's description of them doing the "Mr. Rogers pretext."

• Love 4
Just now, AwesomO4000 said:

It's too bad you missed the Sparkle scene then. Dean was funny in that scene. They were all just horrified / disgusted and trying to give advice at the same time... It didn't entirely end well, but it was so funny. Broad humor, yes, ("She has Sparkle on her face!") but I laughed anyway. And I loved Dean's description of them doing the "Mr. Rogers pretext."

I agree, what a shame it's a wonderful episode.  Funny and was something new. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Diane said:

I agree, what a shame it's a wonderful episode.  Funny and was something new. 

It may have been 'wonderful' but it certainly wasn't wonderful to Dean (the topic of this being 'best of Dean' episodes). The only redeeming feature (for me) was Dean in the dead-guy robe in the opening scenes.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

It may have been 'wonderful' but it certainly wasn't wonderful to Dean (the topic of this being 'best of Dean' episodes). The only redeeming feature was Dean in the dead-guy robe in the opening scenes.

In your opinion, I would disagree, I think it was wonderful for both characters.  That is my opinion. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I agree. There are some great Dean moments in that episode. I’m partial to Dean’s skepticism about Weems playing air guitar, and then his expression afterwards. Cracks me up every time. Dean says they both can can play air guitar. Come on, show. I want to see that!

• Love 2

It may have been 'wonderful' but it certainly wasn't wonderful to Dean (the topic of this being 'best of Dean' episodes). The only redeeming feature (for me) was Dean in the dead-guy robe in the opening scenes.

I watched it - and wished I didn`t. So my advice would also be to skip it or keep skipping it. Definitely wins the least favourite ep in this round. 

Changing Channels, on the other hand, I adored. While Richard Speight Jr. has sunk a lot in my estimation after I read his interviews after directing the above-mentioned up - worst victim-blaming - I did like the Gabriel reveal. And the final scene with Dean is great. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 3

Just My Imagination is a terrible episode for Dean, IMO.

I'm forever bothered by Dean having to say "I'm glad Sully was there for you when I wasn't". 

No nuance. They could have chosen "I couldn't be there". Wasn't and couldn't communicate very different things.

So yeah Just My Imagination IMO is a crap episode for Dean. YMMV

• Love 7

Well, if you couldn't be there, you still weren't there.  I in no way saw that episode, or any part of it, as a dig at Dean.  It's canon that John left and hunted a lot. It makes sense that as Sam and Dean got older, John would have taken Dean with him, leaving Sam alone.  Dean did nothing wrong. Sam accused Dean of nothing.  And, even if Dean had been there 24/7/365 and Sam had an imaginary friend, it would still be no reflection on Dean.  No one person can fill any other person's every need.

• Love 4

Dean did nothing wrong. 

By having him verbally acknowledge how Sully was there when he wasn`t, the narrative says the character of Dean did something wrong, that he did let Sam down. And it wasn`t played like the character being too hard on himself but stating the truth. "I wasn`t there" has the connotations of acctepting responsibility and guilt. "I couldn`t be there" would not have. 

And Speight said that was the point, at least for him as a director, that the character of Dean had to acknowledge his own failings and deal with them. Which is blatantly unfair when said failings was the inability of a child to overpower their father and/or be in two places at once. That to me is victim-blaming.    

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

By having him verbally acknowledge how Sully was there when he wasn`t, the narrative says the character of Dean did something wrong,

We will have to agree to disagree.

Sully also thanked Dean, commenting that Dean did a great job of taking care of Sam... pretty much confirming that it was Dean and not John who raised Sam and took care of him and influenced who Sam was as a person.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

Sully also thanked Dean, commenting that Dean did a great job of taking care of Sam... pretty much confirming that it was Dean and not John who raised Sam and took care of him and influenced who Sam was as a person.

For me, Sully thanking Dean was patronizing.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, if you couldn't be there, you still weren't there.  I in no way saw that episode, or any part of it, as a dig at Dean.  It's canon that John left and hunted a lot. It makes sense that as Sam and Dean got older, John would have taken Dean with him, leaving Sam alone.  Dean did nothing wrong. Sam accused Dean of nothing.  And, even if Dean had been there 24/7/365 and Sam had an imaginary friend, it would still be no reflection on Dean.  No one person can fill any other person's every need.

? No one is saying Sam accused Dean of anything? I'm not following how you're getting that from my comment. 

John should have never left a 9 year old Dean to watch a 5 year old Sam and John should have never left a 9 year old Sam alone which is the age of Sam for JMI.  Dean was stuck in the middle at 14 years old with not being old enough to go against John really. IMO, intentionally or not, there is an underlying criticism of Dean as Sam's caregiver via Sully. That's how I will always see this episode. 

One word choice change and I wouldn't be as harsh on the episode re Dean. And since writers get paid to use words, there is a reason IMO that Klein used "wasn't" vs "couldn't".   YMMV

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

One word choice change and I wouldn't be as harsh on the episode re Dean. And since writers get paid to use words, there is a reason IMO that Klein used "wasn't" vs "couldn't".

The word wasn't was used because he wasn't there.  For the purposes of that conversation, it didn't matter why he wasn't there. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't there.  There is no reason to look for insults to Dean that aren't there.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The word wasn't was used because he wasn't there.  For the purposes of that conversation, it didn't matter why he wasn't there. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't there.  There is no reason to look for insults to Dean that aren't there.

I'm not looking for insults. I've interpreted it this way from the first time it aired to multiple re-watches. I've tried to see it through a more positive prism for Dean and I find it lacking.  I won't belabor this because we are interpreting this differently. :)

• Love 3

I never thought that line reflected badly on Dean. It just showed another example of how crappy their childhoods were. Dean felt like he needed to apologize, but I didn't interpret that as the writers implying he needed to. It seemed in character for Dean to feel like he somehow let Sam down, even when he hadn’t. The line made sense into me in that context.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm going with Rock and a Hard Place, Hibbing 911,  Changing Channels and Hunter Heroci  for best of Dean for ep 8. The rest are NOPE

Rock and a Hard Place may be my least favorite episode for Dean of the whole series.  What about Crossraod Blues?  Nope for that, too?  

• Love 2