Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: The Broken Kingdom

• Start Topic

Would it blow her cover? She's the DO. Ripping out hearts and crushing them is, at least in Rumple's case, what DOs do.

Ripping out hearts and crushing them is what Dark Ones do, but telling him it's because of what he did to Hook would be the part that blows her cover because she's apparently trying to act like she no longer really cares about Hook.

While the Emma's Dark Revenge scenario against Rumple would be fun, it might ruin her image of not really caring about Hook if she showed anger about what had been done to him in the past. That's why I found the very similar binding so amusing. It was like subtle payback while still retaining her aura of detachment. At least, that's what it meant in my head. In reality, it may just be that they're lacking in imagination and can think of only one way to restrain someone. Still, there's an iron fence/gate kind of arrangement in the basement. Why would that be there if not for the chance to bind Rumple up to a fence?

I wonder how Emma knew about Hook getting bound to the fence.  

She must have used her dreamcatcher to see the memories of Rumpel.  That's such a cool power.  She can see what happened in the past and know what everyone's secrets are.  

Edited by yeswedo
added spoiler tags

I wonder how Emma knew about Hook getting bound to the fence.  

She must have used her dreamcatcher to see the memories of Rumpel.  That's such a cool power.  She can see what happened in the past and know what everyone's secrets are.  

Or he told her? I mean they seem to have shared a lot, talked a lot during their lunch dates. I'm guessing the topic of conversation came up after he got his heart back.

Edited by yeswedo
added spoiler tags

The casting of Guinevere is the ONE TIME casting directors can pick the palest woman ever and be totally justifies.  It's kind of funny that lately, Gwen is one of the darker-skinned characters in a show!

Or he told her? I mean they seem to have shared a lot, talked a lot during their lunch dates. I'm guessing the topic of conversation came up after he got his heart back.

is it not likely that each DO has access to the memories of the previous DO?

Might have to dig quite a bit to access the really old ones like using the dreamcatcher to see what happened to Merlin but the more recent ones should only be a thought away.

Edited by yeswedo
added spoiler tags
Shanna Marie, on 31 Oct 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Ripping out hearts and crushing them is what Dark Ones do, but telling him it's because of what he did to Hook would be the part that blows her cover because she's apparently trying to act like she no longer really cares about Hook.

But he's been the DO, and he knows she's capable of feeling love, even if it's become selfish and twisted like his love for Belle.

This one is just rage-inducing. I enjoyed Hook's teasing over Henry's crush, and that's about it.

We've spent the past few episodes of Emma having to stay quiet and in the background while Regina pretended to be the savior, they delayed doing anything about Merlin because Regina wanted to do it herself rather than let Emma do it and reveal that she was the Dark One, and what do the Charmings do as part of their brilliant plan to determine whether or not they trust Arthur? Tell him that Emma's the Dark One. ARGH. When you're testing whether or not you can trust someone, you don't tell him all your critical secrets. You make up something to tell him and see what he does with it. If they were just going to tell Arthur, they should have done it earlier and let Emma get on with things.

I don't really get why the sword being incomplete was such a huge deal. Camelot seemed like a fairly nice, happy place in the flashbacks. The only downer was Arthur being a jerk. True, it wasn't the glittering kingdom of legend, but it wasn't terrible. Would the sword really have made that big a difference? And is there anything to Camelot other than the castle? Before, it seemed to be a village with a tower in it, and the sand turned it all into a castle. When they've shown them coming and going, there doesn't seem to be anything around the castle. It's a "kingdom" that consists of a single castle and nothing else?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

It's a "kingdom" that consists of a single castle and nothing else?

Adam:  Filling in the blanks.  Fun!

More like filling in the entire canvas except for a blob you're not sure is intentional or not.

I think the Siege Perilous/Broken Kingdom pairing is an ideal example of a setup with possible potential, before it all goes to hell with the "heroes" acting idiotic and an unconvincing climax which ultimately becomes a moot point when this plot thread comes to a grinding halt.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I think the Siege Perilous/Broken Kingdom pairing is an ideal example of a setup with possible potential, before it all goes to hell with the "heroes" acting idiotic and an unconvincing climax which ultimately becomes a moot point when this plot thread comes to a grinding halt.

Speaking of setups, I remember when I saw this episode for the first time, I was giving them credit for a really clever setup, where it would turn out that the Emma subplot was actually a way to get Emma, Hook, and Henry away from Camelot and the diner so they wouldn't be sanded with everyone else. I figured they'd be the ones to notice something was wrong and save the day.

Spoiler

Alas, it really was just a random subplot. There was no plot reason for Henry to be off with Violet or for Hook and Emma to be away at that time.

Like most lands we come across in this show, Camelot seems awfully small, doesent it? Its more like a castle, a market, and a forest. Also, while I might not be a magic wizard who lives in a tree, maybe coming to a picked on, poor kid and telling how if he does this one thing he will be the great king who will make everything wonderful for everyone, might not be the best idea ever? Might give him a bit of a complex? I mean, I am but a humble viewer (I dont even live in a tree) but I do wonder. 

Can I just watch Hook and Emma be cute for an hour?

• Love 4
On 4/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, tennisgurl said:

Also, while I might not be a magic wizard who lives in a tree, maybe coming to a picked on, poor kid and telling how if he does this one thing he will be the great king who will make everything wonderful for everyone, might not be the best idea ever? Might give him a bit of a complex? I mean, I am but a humble viewer (I dont even live in a tree) but I do wonder. 

Thus my thesis that Merlin was the real Big Bad of the series. He was already responsible for the Author mess, and now he's responsible for the Arthur mess (hee!). And there doesn't seem to have been any reason or logic behind his actions. Why did they need an Author? Why give the Author a magic pen that allows him to change reality? Why whisper to this kid about what a great king he'll be? Why would drawing the sword make any difference? And why was it such a horrible thing that the sword pulled out of a rock was broken? If that was a bad thing, why urge Arthur to pull it? And if Arthur had it in him to become such a horrible person, then how did he qualify to pull the sword? It doesn't seem like anything bad actually happened to Arthur to "make" him be evil, which suggests that he had that potential all along. I don't think most people would have become obsessed with remaking a magical sword in order to become the best king ever, to the point they mindwiped the whole kingdom and resorted to murdering a loyal servant. Most people who truly wanted to be a great king and who were good and brave enough to be able to pull that sword in the first place would have become a great king by actually being a great king, not hiding out and obsessing over a sword.

And we get a bit more of this series's bad male gaze, where we see that Guinevere and Arthur look like they're more or less the same age as children, but she's about ten years (or more) younger than he is when they're adults, probably because a woman the same age as Arthur would be icky rather than beautiful (in their view). As I recall, the casting even indicated that she should be in her late 20s/early 30s, while Arthur was cast to be in his 40s. Guinevere should have been a toddler in that flashback if the ages were going to be consistent.

• Love 3

If the dark one vault was something more than just a way to resurrect the dark one why did we never see more of it. This vault door is different than the one Neal used the key on to resurrect Rumple. Does the dark one vault have exits in different realms?

20 minutes ago, daxx said:

If the dark one vault was something more than just a way to resurrect the dark one why did we never see more of it. This vault door is different than the one Neal used the key on to resurrect Rumple. Does the dark one vault have exits in different realms?

Maybe it was franchised like The Tavern.

• Love 3