Type keyword(s) to search

AMC Renews Halt And Catch Fire For A Third Season

I'm surprised too, and I mostly liked the season narrative. I thought too much with Cameron being a brat. Perhaps the move to California would be a 'soft reboot' where they can skip ahead 6 months. 

Hurray! PS- with regards to the Previously TV article above, I totally disagree. I thought the character arcs in the first season were great, and don't think new viewers should skip Season one!

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 2
I thought the character arcs in the first season were great,

Gordon and Donna had great stories, as individuals and as a married couple with struggles.  I agree with that.  The others - not so much.

But I'm glad there will be more to watch. 

I know I have been living under a rock but I just recently found out they are coming back for Season 3. I am surprised, pleasantly actually, I think there is still a lot of interesting story lines they can pursue. Hope I am not disappointed with the writers. 

I found the ending of last season to be annoying in many ways, but the second season of Silicon Valley was also kind of disappointing so for some reason I'm interested in this show again. It's bringing back so many awful memories of when I worked for a summer at a doomed game company and how everyone was sure they'd be millionaires and small-town celebrities and wouldn't have to go to college.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, scowl said:

I found the ending of last season to be annoying in many ways, but the second season of Silicon Valley was also kind of disappointing so for some reason I'm interested in this show again. It's bringing back so many awful memories of when I worked for a summer at a doomed game company and how everyone was sure they'd be millionaires and small-town celebrities and wouldn't have to go to college.

Are our characters going to get to silicon valley right at the dawn of the tech boom?  I am happy that this show has another season, because I find the characters intriguing, but the writing is not always on point.

I think they really did not know how to use a talented actor like Lee Pace.  In the first season he was a cartoon with daddy issues...in the second season he was trying too hard to be good and failing.  Hopefully they know how to incorporate him now.

Also, like Mad Men, the women are the real core of the story. Donna and Cameron can compliment each other if they go about it right.

If this is the last season, I wonder if they will kill off Gordon?  I hope not, because that would be sad (I think the character was having health issues).

• Love 1

They are past the dawn of the tech boom. They should be seeing the aftereffects of the 1983 game industry crash which lasted a couple of years. There's been no mention of it so far which bothers me because it was the first huge wake-up call after five years of growth beyond anyone's imagination. 

8 hours ago, scowl said:

Very true (about SV).  In their first seasons, SV seemed brilliant while HCF was decent- certainly well acted- but felt a bit unfocused.  Now, with a full second season and change under their belts, I'm finding that I've basically given up on SV being watchable anymore, while HCF got significantly better in season 2, and seems to have found both its dramatic footing, and retained a sense of plausible realism about the industry.

7 hours ago, qtpye said:

Are our characters going to get to silicon valley right at the dawn of the tech boom?  I am happy that this show has another season, because I find the characters intriguing, but the writing is not always on point.

I think they really did not know how to use a talented actor like Lee Pace.  In the first season he was a cartoon with daddy issues...in the second season he was trying too hard to be good and failing.  Hopefully they know how to incorporate him now.

Also, like Mad Men, the women are the real core of the story. Donna and Cameron can compliment each other if they go about it right.

If this is the last season, I wonder if they will kill off Gordon?  I hope not, because that would be sad (I think the character was having health issues).

I hope they don't kill off Gordon either; Scoot McNairy has grown on me as an actor, and honestly the only person I'd be okay with leaving is Lee Pace- even though I think he's a fine actor.  They still, as you mention, don't seem to know what to do with him; on this show he's basically like Arya in GoT, off having his own story line with only a tangential connection to the main plot.  Last we saw, he'd yet again stumbled ass-backwards into wealth and success, but there's not really a natural connection between the businesses that will use AV, and the home internet user base that Mutiny is pursuing which is still largely in its infancy.   The show will likely keep Joe around, but I hope they can come up with something better than another round of "Joe tries to do something right, everyone distrusts him, as a result it implodes for everyone, and Joe moves on yet again without a scratch on him". If I wanted to be frustrated watching characters repeatedly fail with the same character flaws and avoidable mistakes, I'd be watching HBO's "Silicon Valley". :)

6 hours ago, scowl said:

They are past the dawn of the tech boom. They should be seeing the aftereffects of the 1983 game industry crash which lasted a couple of years. There's been no mention of it so far which bothers me because it was the first huge wake-up call after five years of growth beyond anyone's imagination. 

That's a good point, but I think on the show timeline the "1984" episode of season 1 was in November of 1984, and season 2 started with a jump to 1985. If we have a similar jump to them being settled in the Bay Area, we'd probably be up to 1986, enough to get past that crash you described.  Besides, the Mutiny gang are basically now co-inventing the birth of the consumer Internet, which should be unaffected by the woes of Atari et al

As an aside, I believe it was you scowl who would write those interesting observations on the early tech industry in the episode threads; I hope you continue to do so, as the perspective was always interesting.  I was about 10 when this show is taking place, and think our family's first computer was the famed TI-99/4A and I didn't start working in tech until 1996, so this show is to me what something set in the first dotcom boom would be to teenagers and young adults watching today. :)

• Love 4
On 5/8/2016 at 5:55 PM, hincandenza said:

That's a good point, but I think on the show timeline the "1984" episode of season 1 was in November of 1984, and season 2 started with a jump to 1985. If we have a similar jump to them being settled in the Bay Area, we'd probably be up to 1986, enough to get past that crash you described.  Besides, the Mutiny gang are basically now co-inventing the birth of the consumer Internet, which should be unaffected by the woes of Atari et al

I have trouble remembering what they were doing because it seemed to change every week. The Internet didn't take off for another decade so I wonder what retro-history they'll come up with this season.

As an aside, I believe it was you scowl who would write those interesting observations on the early tech industry in the episode threads; I hope you continue to do so, as the perspective was always interesting. I was about 10 when this show is taking place, and think our family's first computer was the famed TI-99/4A and I didn't start working in tech until 1996, so this show is to me what something set in the first dotcom boom would be to teenagers and young adults watching today. :)

Man, I have been remembering many more things from the summer of 1981 when I worked for that doomed game company. I hope to include them when the show starts again.

Out of curiosity I Googled my old boss from that time, the one who lost a lot of money. He's now teaching computer literacy at a small community college in Western Michigan. His webpage on the school web site says he's won three prestigious awards however Google cannot find any other winners of these awards or what organization awarded them.

A little more searching and I found him on a games forum describing himself as a "genius" and "pioneer in computational gaming" even though his company only put out one game which tanked. Posters asked him why he was teaching at a community college. He said he was "no longer interested in getting big checks" and only wanted "to form young minds to prepare them for the future of computer technology". At a small community college.

He reminded me of a teacher in another AMC drama. I wonder if he has a meth lab.

• Love 3

Man, I have been remembering many more things from the summer of 1981 when I worked for that doomed game company. I hope to include them when the show starts again.

Out of curiosity I Googled my old boss from that time, the one who lost a lot of money. He's now teaching computer literacy at a small community college in Western Michigan. His webpage on the school web site says he's won three prestigious awards however Google cannot find any other winners of these awards or what organization awarded them.

A little more searching and I found him on a games forum describing himself as a "genius" and "pioneer in computational gaming" even though his company only put out one game which tanked. Posters asked him why he was teaching at a community college. He said he was "no longer interested in getting big checks" and only wanted "to form young minds to prepare them for the future of computer technology". At a small community college.

He reminded me of a teacher in another AMC drama. I wonder if he has a meth lab.

That is too funny.  At least the company tanked and your boss is not drooling over the billions he lost.  However, if he ever starts using Heisenberg as his handle, maybe you should worry.

I guess for every Steve Job type that became a success, there were probably many who failed and probably come off as pathetic delusional crackpots.

Love your insights, Scowl.

• Love 1

Another reason I'm sort of looking forward to next season: I really liked Mackenzie Davis in The Martian. She played a smart woman who didn't freak out at all. 

• Love 1
On May 13, 2016 at 0:39 PM, scowl said:

Another reason I'm sort of looking forward to next season: I really liked Mackenzie Davis in The Martian. She played a smart woman who didn't freak out at all. 

I've seen MD in a few things outside of HaCF, and I've liked her much better in them. She's a very appealing actor,  and I think she could do a lot with Cameron if given the chance. I hope we see some growth there.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, scowl said:

I just discovered that James Cromwell had been in all three Revenge of the Nerds movies. Is he coming back this season?

There are four Revenge of the Nerds movies. It saddens me that I knew that.

• Love 2