Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: A Chorus Lie

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

As Adam enters puberty, Beverly does everything in her power to help him through this awkward phase, including his crackling singing voice. So when Adam gets a lead role in the school musical, Beverly convinces Ms. Cinoman to have Adam lip sync - just like the musical group Milli Vanilli - while performing in "A Chorus Line".

Meanwhile, Murray inspires Erica to go to the Homecoming Dance with JTP member Geoff Schwartz.

Review:

Just got to say that I think all of the teenaged girls would fit in just fine in Ridgemont High. Their hair screams 82... When will one of them rock the banana clip? Man I loved those things.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2

That big blue makeup case that Adam stomped off with after doing his lip syncing performance for Bev and Pops? Both my sister and my mother had (have?) one, except theirs were pink. Nice attention to detail. 

I know some might take issue with the fact that the Milli Vanilli scandal occurred more in early 1990 than it did in 89', but I felt like it was the most appropriate (and funny) way to address Sean Giambrone's journey into puberty. Moreover, I checked Wikipedia to get some more info, and apparently the "Girl, you know it's... girl, you know it's... girl, you know it's..." fiasco occurred on July 21, 1989, so it makes sense that this episode was set in September of that year. I might be thinking *way* too much about this, though.

Finally, is it too soon to ship Geoff & Erica? And we can call them Gerica? Y'know, like from Jem? Because I really, really want to.

I coveted a banana clip.   I wanted one so, so, so badly.  Don't remember if my hair was too short to rock one or if my mom had some objection... hmmm.

I liked that they addressed Sean's changes.  Sucks to be a kid that age.   But it does for everybody.   Including Dave Kim!   

• Love 1

Just got to say that I think all of the teenaged girls would fit in just fine in Ridgemont High. Their hair screams 82... When will one of them rock the banana clip? Man I loved those things.

I wore many a banana clip in the 80s, needed something to hold back all that thick, permed hair I had! I remember a friend of mine used to be jealous said I had so much hair she said it looked like a horses mane. Odd compliment but back then the bigger the hair the better.

I do like they are addressing the horrors of puberty, we all remember those embarrassing times!

I love the special bond that Murray and Erica seem to have. They've addressed it in the past with them both being unable/unwilling to say "I love you" and now her inability to tolerate Morons. Murray isn't the over-protective, "Come, let me tell you what's going to happen if you break my daughter's heart." kind of Dad. He's happy to let her make her mistakes and knows he'll be there, even if it's unpleasant. Kind of like a real human being.

This show balances the cartoonish over-the-top needs of comedy so well with being a real person and not falling into cliches we've seen a million times over.

• Love 7

That big blue makeup case that Adam stomped off with after doing his lip syncing performance for Bev and Pops? Both my sister and my mother had (have?) one, except theirs were pink. Nice attention to detail.

Caboodles!

Geoff is kind of sweet. But he's a JTP moron who hangs out with Barry. So conflicted.

Edited by dcalley

I meant to mention the Wonder Years episode that this one reminded me of, but I haven't watched it in so long that I don't have much to say, other than it also dealt with boys' voices changing and a choral performance.

The actor for the sax player is the little brother of the guy who played Adam on Joan of Arcadia.

"BALLS!"

Funny you should post this because as I was watching the episode I wondered for the umpteenth time if anyone actually ever used that expression. I never heard it back then or now, until this show, used the way Adam uses it.

I just watched the episode where Adam tried out for the Jesus Chris Superstar school musical and was placed in the chorus (he lost out to Dave Kim amid lots of competition) so I was kind of confused when all of a sudden Adam was the most desirable lead available.

Geoff is a little too Nice Guy for me at this point, I hope they gave him more dimension.