Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Not sure what the point of the video was to show how quickly Phillip Rivers released the ball than Justin Herbert does, because all it really did was show that holy hell did Rivers throw an ugly ball.  If nothing else, Herbert can hang his hat on how pretty his arm motion and release is.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Not sure what the point of the video was to show how quickly Phillip Rivers released the ball than Justin Herbert does, because all it really did was show that holy hell did Rivers throw an ugly ball.  If nothing else, Herbert can hang his hat on how pretty his arm motion and release is.

Or just how pretty he is. He's no Jimmy G, but he's not chopped liver. 😃

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I agree.  I don't recall when the NFL decided to adopt the college rules, but that definitely the right call and Greenlaw's ejection was fair game.  I just didn't understand why Justin was so upset about getting pulled.  He passed concussion protocol, he was slow to get up, and TPTB had to check him out

• Like 1

Vikings and Eagles definitely look like they are on their way to the NFC championship game. Nothing to take away from the Cowboys and Giants but those two teams have the complete package of a good offense and defense. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't count out Tampa.  And even San Francisco to a lesser extent.  Whatever Philadelphia and Minnesota are doing might not matter.  TBH, I can see both teams getting bounced before Championship Sunday.

10 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I was just looking at the NFC standings. I realized that if today was the last day of regular season games and playoffs started next weekend, the entire NFC East would be in the playoffs.

Washington is currently in 8th place.  If they beat Philly on MNF and the Niners lose to LA, they will move to seventh.  It's still remarkable as the entire NFC East is in the top half of the conference.

FWIW, the "NFL EAST" is in the Top half.  The AFC East has everyone at or above 500.  Sorta reminds me of the 2008 NFC South and the 2014 AFC North until someone from that second group blew it at the end

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hope my Brownies lose the rest of the season.

The Haslam’s have tanked this team to get DeShaun for the next 3-5 years.  They refuse to sharpen up the defense or fire Joe Woods.  With all the defensive talent, everyone is regressing.

• Love 2

Niners win it 22-16 - excellent second half by the Niners defense, and their offense was decent and solid. Chargers are banged up but put up a solid fight.

As for the discussion about the NFC playoffs - the Eagles and Vikings do look like the 2 best teams but I like what the Niners have as well, they’ve proven they can win playoff games and they have a pretty complete team, and I will never count out Tom Brady so the Bucs are a threat as well despite their issues. And while the Cowboys have a very talented team, I just don’t trust them, especially not in the playoffs. 

How bout them Niners!  4 for 4 in my picks for the big games (games called by A-Team staff).  Great stuff!  Against the spread?  Not so much.

26 minutes ago, twoods said:

See Bills, it’s okay to kick the field goal. 

It's also okay to think outside the box and take that safety.  Forget having to travel to Arrowhead again if they're lucky.  And I sorta have to laugh since that was a fear of theirs.  They might have to travel to Cincinnati, Baltimore or Tennessee before they get to Kansas City.

Meanwhile, I meant to post my thoughts on Indianapolis as well as who's next to go before Colts/Raiders.  I think McDaniels might end up going before Kliff.  That's just a thought, one I would've had even if Arizona had lost to LA.

Speaking of Arizona, I finally got something right as it relates to picking their games!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

I was just looking at the NFC standings. I realized that if today was the last day of regular season games and playoffs started next weekend, the entire NFC East would be in the playoffs.

I’m not certain how the tiebreakers shake out, but the AFC East has the first two wild cards in MIA and NYJ and NE would be tied for the last slot at 5-4 with CIN and LAC. 

Outside of the two Easts, no other division is over .500 as a division. 

12 minutes ago, Carey said:

How bout them Niners!  4 for 4 in my picks for the big games (games called by A-Team staff).  Great stuff!  Against the spread?  Not so much.

It's also okay to think outside the box and take that safety.  Forget having to travel to Arrowhead again if they're lucky.  And I sorta have to laugh since that was a fear of theirs.  They might have to travel to Cincinnati, Baltimore or Tennessee before they get to Kansas City.

Meanwhile, I meant to post my thoughts on Indianapolis as well as who's next to go before Colts/Raiders.  I think McDaniels might end up going before Kliff.  That's just a thought, one I would've had even if Arizona had lost to LA.

Speaking of Arizona, I finally got something right as it relates to picking their games!

The thing about McDaniels is that Marc Davis isn’t the richest owner. Can he afford to fire a guy he just hired no matter how bad the season? 

On 11/12/2022 at 5:01 AM, Danielg342 said:

However, to say for sure that race was the factor or the only factor is very much a stretch.

I don't think anyone is saying that it was the sole factor as if Irsay stood up and screamed "get me a white man for this coaching position."  It sounds like he was hired because he played for the Colts for a while and it sounds like he's close to Irsay.  Irsay trusts him.

But that is part of the same system that disadvantages black coaches. Owners get fixated on coaches related to other coaches. Or they get enamored with the guy who the owners/GMs identify with in the interview and that, so far, highly benefits white coaches.  In almost every argument against the Rooney Rule or defending when a hiring cycle goes by with no improvement in the number of coaches of color in the league, it is brought up that it shouldn't be about race, it should be about the "best man for the job." 

But in the end, there is a different bar for what makes a black coach the best man for the job and what makes a white coach the best person for the job. Most owners (and coaches) probably don't even recognize that they hold different standards. The Saturday hire is yet another example of that difference.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Carey said:

I don’t know if safety would have been the better option. You give them the ball back up by two so a field goal would win it. All JA had to do was get the ball out of the end zone and he fumbled. It’s the second game in a row that his mistakes cost the Bills the game and he knows that since he’s one of the few QBs to put the blame on himself when he makes mistakes. Now that there isn’t much talk about them and the SB maybe he will stop playing so tight. He’s already had more interceptions and fumbles than last season. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t know if safety would have been the better option. You give them the ball back up by two so a field goal would win it. All JA had to do was get the ball out of the end zone and he fumbled. It’s the second game in a row that his mistakes cost the Bills the game and he knows that since he’s one of the few QBs to put the blame on himself when he makes mistakes. Now that there isn’t much talk about them and the SB maybe he will stop playing so tight. He’s already had more interceptions and fumbles than last season. 

I've watched Josh Allen a couple times this year and serious question?  Is he a really good QB who sometimes has a bad game or is he an OK QB who gets lucky sometimes?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I've watched Josh Allen a couple times this year and serious question?  Is he a really good QB who sometimes has a bad game or is he an OK QB who gets lucky sometimes?

I think he's a really good quarterback who sometimes makes a bad decision. Maybe if he's a little rattled.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I think he's a really good quarterback who sometimes makes a bad decision. Maybe if he's a little rattled.

Yes to this. He’s a very good QB who makes dumb decisions occasionally. Unfortunately for him, they’ve cost his team the game. He usually throws the ball away if there’s nothing there and runs it when he needs to, but he gets  on himself very easily so if he makes a mistake he wants to rectify it and then forces it. I also think that they should have run the ball more the second half when they had a lead- they didn’t and this led to a few three and outs, and the defense getting back on the field instead of resting . They did that against the Dolphins and  Jets, abandoning the run in the second half when it was effective the first half. The OC apparently didn’t learn this doesn’t work.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I think Allen is a very good QB, very athletic, strong arm, good passer and rusher, but the turnovers are a major problem, the Bills aren’t going to be able to make a playoff run if Allen continues to turn the ball over so much. He sometimes tries too hard to make great plays and winds up making bad ones.

On another note, the Bills need to establish more of a rushing attack, that would take a lot of pressure off of Allen, but as of now Allen is their leading rusher and coming into yesterday they only had 1 rushing TD by a RB. They just about abandoned the run altogether in the second half yesterday. Stuff like this needs to change.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Colin Cowherd recently made a fair statement as it relates to people like Sean McDermott and Mike Tomlin.  Both have had success, both are respected throughout the league, and both will find work after their current job if they want it.

However, like Tomlin, Sean is a defensive coach.  The league is trending toward offense.  It has been.  So the urgency to do better on the offensive side of the ball isn't going to be there as much as it might be for people like Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan.

A decent run game would be perfect.  I don't know if it can happen this year, but it's something that Buffalo might need to focus on in the offseason

• Like 2

I am wondering what team could really use a good wide receiver next year. Adam Thielen is as good as Diggs but he is hardly used anymore. He might want to go to a team who'll use him more - and take on his salary. On the other hand, if Jefferson gets hurt, Thielen is a good backup. But so is Hockenson.

Ironic if Green Bay snatches him up.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Or just how pretty he is. He's no Jimmy G, but he's not chopped liver. 😃

NFL Memes did a thing recently where they showed what each NFL quarterback would look like as a woman. (Photoshop fun.)

Jenny G was easily the best looking one of the bunch. Here’s Herbert as well  

BA69E299-2E7B-43E5-871E-5268A88C7B6B.jpeg

5213732B-C7FE-45E1-B87E-95BCA945A54D.jpeg

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think anyone is saying that it was the sole factor as if Irsay stood up and screamed "get me a white man for this coaching position."  It sounds like he was hired because he played for the Colts for a while and it sounds like he's close to Irsay.  Irsay trusts him.

But that is part of the same system that disadvantages black coaches. Owners get fixated on coaches related to other coaches. Or they get enamored with the guy who the owners/GMs identify with in the interview and that, so far, highly benefits white coaches.  In almost every argument against the Rooney Rule or defending when a hiring cycle goes by with no improvement in the number of coaches of color in the league, it is brought up that it shouldn't be about race, it should be about the "best man for the job." 

But in the end, there is a different bar for what makes a black coach the best man for the job and what makes a white coach the best person for the job. Most owners (and coaches) probably don't even recognize that they hold different standards. The Saturday hire is yet another example of that difference.

It is also, that an owner would consider a white guy who has never expressed a known desire to be an NFL head coach, has only coached at the high school level, while there are unemployed MINORITY NFL assistant coaches.   It's that an inexperienced white guy got considered while the excuse for minority coaches is "not enough experience" "doesn't call the plays himself."   Things like that.    Well what experience does Jeff Saturday have over those guys?   What plays in an NFL game has he called as a coach?   It's that for a white guy the bar is MUCH lower to be considered.   Is race a factor?  not overtly.    But white guys get a "hey let's see what he can do" meanwhile minority coaches get no benefit of the doubt.    It's just like black kids who are described a "men" at 10 years old, while white guys in their 20s are "just kids."

• Applause 9
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Carey said:

The league is trending toward offense.  It has been.  So the urgency to do better on the offensive side of the ball isn't going to be there as much as it might be for people like Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan.

I assume you mean defensive side of the ball (unless I'm mireading this) and I'm confused as to Cowherd's point.  Is he saying that minority coaches can coach the defense but white coaches are better at coaching offenses? And since this is an offensive league, hiring white head coaches is simply a totally non-racist byproduct of most of the offensive coordinators in the league being white?

If that's his point, I don't know that I'd call it fair because I believe racism is at the root of that belief too.  I suspect it harkens back to the long held belief that black players wouldn't be smart enough to be QBs in this league even though that's clearly not the case.

Edited by Irlandesa

Commandos got an interception and Forest ran it back to the 45.

ETA: They brought the ball back because Forest was deemed down by contact after the catch.

Edited by Lamb18

Commanders are playing really well - Heinicke is playing really well and they are moving the ball on the Eagles with surprising ease. The Eagles have passed a lot more than I expected them to, they had success on their first long drive but not since, and that was a bad INT Hurts threw into double coverage. Good game.

9 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I missed the action after the Commanders' second touchdown, looked up after 2-minute break, and here they are with the ball again. Anyhow they kick a field goal and lead 20-14.

Eagles went 3 and out quickly and the Commanders got a FG. And now the Eagles have to punt to start the second half, the Eagles are not playing well.

Eagles with their best drive of the night to cut it to 2, nice mix of rushing and passing. Should be an exciting finish coming up!!

CJ-Gardner Johnson with his 6th pick of the year and the Eagles get the ball back.

4 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Another turnover for the Eagles, that one on a big play. They has 3 turnovers all season coming into tonight, and they’ve turned it over 3 times tonight.

You gotta love division football!

• Like 1

Commanders win it - they outplayed the Eagles from start to finish - they moved the ball well all night and the turnovers killed the Eagles. The Commanders are a better team with Heinicke at QB and he should remain the starter. The NFC East race will be very fun to watch. No team going unbeaten this year, the 1972 Dolphins can pop the champagne!

• Sad 1
  • Love 3

Commanders win, 32-21!!!!! AND I PICKED THEM TO WIN!!!!! I should have bet on it.

This game wasn't quite as wacky as the Vikings game but it was still crazy.

The end was crazy. 5 seconds left, Eagles ball, they pass the ball around, ball hits the ground, then a Wash defender picks it up and turns it into the end zone for a touchdown.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 3

I actually forgot to bet the over/under.  I remembered before kickoff but avoided it.  Would've gone with the under.  Would've been a last second loss (though the total I saw may already have been reached follow the last FG or 2 from Washington.

9 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Why did that last touchdown count as a touchdown? I thought the ball was dead from an incomplete pass.

The pass was a completed one followed by an attempt at a miracle.  It failed, the ball was fumbled, and Washington was able to score at the end