Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Someone reminded us all last night on Twitter X that not too long ago ESPN admonished all on-air personalities to Stick To Sports.

So for them to basically endorse this with The McAfee Show?  Is straight hypocrisy.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1

Taylor Swift will be at the Broncos - Chiefs game tonight. Yay. 😒

This game have both unrootable teams & its also another root for neither type of game. Its going to flat out suck on so many levels. 😒

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, Magog.  Prior to your post, I was planning to turn it on, though before that I was not since it might get ugly for Denver (meaning this would be the second consecutive Thursday to do something else).  For what it's worth, Kansas City just scored, and kickoff is about nine hours away

• Like 1

I guess winning gives them a pass.  Though maybe not so much for Atlanta.

For what it's worth, it was a piece of cake to refer to Washington as Washington.  Same with several others.  I tend to call Kansas City as either KC or their city name. Not their nickname.  Yeah I can do without the Tomahawk Chop, but I usually skip over that nonsense or any pregame nonsense.  The future is bright they say, and I'd rather focus on the game, period

45 minutes ago, roamyn said:

It still peeves me that the name 'Indians' is considered racist, but the Tomahawk Chop the Chiefs & Braves do, gets little criticism. 

They're ALL racist (all of the above, as well as the Redskins, the Blackhawks, etc.), but only Cleveland and DC have done anything about it.

I invite anyone who wants to barf to go to ESPN's webpage right now.  It's...I can't, I literally canNOT.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

It still peeves me that the name 'Indians' is considered racist, but the Tomahawk Chop the Chiefs & Braves do, gets little criticism. 

Has the Chiefs organization asked fans to stop doing it?  Because if they haven't they really should.  And whatever network is carrying the games shouldn't show it.

• Like 2

The Chiefs offense is just good enough to win so far this year, which is not normal for them since Mahomes took over, and probably even before that. They'll need to do something about the WR group next year, as they're a couple sandwiches short of picnic with what they're rolling with right now. 

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The Chiefs offense is just good enough to win so far this year, which is not normal for them since Mahomes took over, and probably even before that. They'll need to do something about the WR group next year, as they're a couple sandwiches short of picnic with what they're rolling with right now.

I think they might not even wait until next year.  Given their winning, aggressive culture, I imagine they'll address it by the trade deadline.  Thinking about it now, I'm a little surprised that they didn't get Claypool.  Though I have to look into if they tried before Chase ended up with Miami.

While Kansas City is good enough offensively to win this year, they're not going to beat San Francisco this time around assuming both teams remain the way they are.  Even if Kelce makes it, that's not enough right now.  The good news is that their defense is rising to the occasion to offset the adversities offensively.  Finally, Kansas City might be okay if someone else other than the Niners, Eagles, and Detroit wins the NFC

• Like 1

Week Six picks:  Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, both LA teams, Buffalo

Week Six ATS & O/U: Tennessee, Vegas, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Chargers.  Over in Chargers/Cowboys game, under in everything else

I totally forgot about picking the Jaguars FTW elsewhere.  I thought of it earlier but did not remember.  Jacksonville doesn't lose at home to Indianapolis

SNL did a pretty funny take on the NFL broadcasts’ focus on Swift and Kelce. 

The Europe game doesn’t have a lot of appeal to me today, so I doubt I’ll try to find it on the TV. It does make me remember one time a few years ago when the Ravens played in this game and I think they won like 48-3 or something like that. Hopefully the other team got to do some sightseeing to make the trip worthwhile. 

• Like 1

That doesn't seem very fair to the fans of whichever teams make it to the SB.  Average, everyday people can't afford to fly across the pond just to pay thousands for a ticket to watch their team in person. 

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, roamyn said:

That doesn't seem very fair to the fans of whichever teams make it to the SB.  Average, everyday people can't afford to fly across the pond just to pay thousands for a ticket to watch their team in person. 

The average fan can't really afford Superbowl tickets anyway. How would that even work? They would have to play the game in the middle of the night to get a primetime game.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

A 9:30 a.m. EST Super Bowl would still outrate anything else on TV that week (month, year…).

No, you,d lose the entire west coast, and probably some of the mountain time zone as well. 

1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would like to ask Roger Goodell if he thinks England would ever expect to play their football championship in the United States.

EPL doesn't have a championship game. 

• Like 1
Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

No, you,d lose the entire west coast, and probably some of the mountain time zone as well. 

Yup.  It would be 7:30 am here in Arizona, and 6:30 in California.  No way could the league charge the outrageous ad prices when half of America would be sleeping in on a Sunday morning.

I guess Roger also doesn't care about the effect on the local economy of hosting a Super Bowl.  Hotels and restaurants and local businesses receive a huge boost when the game comes to their city.  There are no NFL franchises in the UK, probably never will be a successful one, but Roger wants to move the premier sporting event of the US out of the US and send it there.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Exactly.  The Super Bowl pulls in the astounding ratings it does because a shit ton of people who don't watch a minute of football other than that game tune in as the backdrop to a party.  Ain't nobody in CA having a party at 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday.  So you lose the non-fans, and a chunk of the fans as well (my love of football, while strong, has nothing on my hatred of mornings, so I'd skip it -- yes, even if the Giants were in it -- and I'm not alone).

• Like 3

I could reason with an early Super Bowl for the West Coast.  In reason, I'm saying that would suck.  However, to be honest I wouldn't lose sleep for the West Coast having a 10 AM game local time.  To be fair, I hardly think the West Coast has any sympathy for the East Coast and dealing with an SNF game before the start of the week.

Speaking of sympathy, nobody's going to have any sympathy for Niners fans when it took 2 kitchen sink tosses to make them human.  Though I do wonder if the 49ers will be the ones losing in a week & the Browns win.  A total reversal

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

However, to be honest I wouldn't lose sleep for the West Coast having a 10 AM game local time.  To be fair, I hardly think the West Coast has any sympathy for the East Coast and dealing with an SNF game before the start of the week.

The West Coast has 10 am local games now, as do we in Arizona until you all switch back to standard time in November.  But you're not going to get a prime-time audience or command Super Bowl-level advertising fees if that game starts at 10 am.

Back in the early days of MNF (before SNF), there was a lot of discussion how the then-9 pm East Coast start time was unfair to the West Coast and why it shouldn't be made any earlier, because many West Coasters were still on their way home from work.  Someone's always going to be unhappy.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Carey said:

I could reason with an early Super Bowl for the West Coast.  In reason, I'm saying that would suck.  However, to be honest I wouldn't lose sleep for the West Coast having a 10 AM game local time.  To be fair, I hardly think the West Coast has any sympathy for the East Coast and dealing with an SNF game before the start of the week.

Speaking of sympathy, nobody's going to have any sympathy for Niners fans when it took 2 kitchen sink tosses to make them human.  Though I do wonder if the 49ers will be the ones losing in a week & the Browns win.  A total reversal

Niners lose on a shank. Good. Sloppy game, and losing their two biggest offensive weapons made Purdy look vulnerable.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Niners lose on a shank. Good. 

The league wants 90s Cowboys/Bills again.  IOW: They want Chiefs/Eagles, with Philadelphia losing again.

Though what's good about this is that the Media can now shut up about how epic Brock Purdy is

3 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Nobody's going undefeated, and the Niners are still the favorites in the NFC, barring injuries. 

I agree everyone can pump the brakes on the Purdy MVP talk, though.

Let's see if Samuel and McCaffrey are out multiple games. Both left the game and didn't return. 

Although I've been a Purdy skeptic all along (when he said last season that he found playing in the NFL easier than playing in college, that was a red flag to me that it was the system and personnel making him successful), I'm not looking forward to the slew of "Purdy was overrated and has been exposed" articles. Poor guy.

• Like 1

I don’t understand FOX putting all this money into advertising their A-Team coverage, where Greg is as likable as ever, when they are just going to throw Greg away for dumbass fucking Brady next year.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I don’t understand FOX putting all this money into advertising their A-Team coverage, where Greg is as likable as ever, when they are just going to throw Greg away for dumbass fucking Brady next year.

I rarely watch the Fox games but when I do and Greg is calling the game I always enjoy it. I have feeling Tom Brady is always going to make it all about him. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

FOX does have the right to change their minds

1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I rarely watch the Fox games but when I do and Greg is calling the game I always enjoy it. I have feeling Tom Brady is always going to make it all about him. 

I disagree.  Having listened to his show with Jim Gray & Larry Fitzgerald, he actually can be a pretty decent human being.  There are only a handful of people at most you can say that about that is currently in the media

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I disagree.  Having listened to his show with Jim Gray & Larry Fitzgerald, he actually can be a pretty decent human being.  There are only a handful of people at most you can say that about that is currently in the media

Even if TB12 tries to make it about the game, you just know Fox is going to flog the Tom Brady brand, hard, and the media will hang on his every word.  It could be worse than the slurp that drips over the overrated and terminally irritating Tony Romo.

i agree with @mojoween when she says that Greg is as likable as ever.  Greg Olsen is very good at this and has done nothing to warrant losing his #1 spot.  When you just listen to the analysis and forget for a second who’s providing it, that person is good at their job.

• Like 2

I can’t find the listing of the announcers for this week’s games, does anyone know who is calling Eagles/Jets?  The color guy just said that the Jets had “third and a Walmart parking lot” and I would love to know which former player made me laugh.

• LOL 3

It looked like Carolina (and Chicago before last week) would win a game before both or one of San Francisco & Philadelphia would lose.  A Jets win is a little bit of a consolation prize for the Niners

• Like 1

The 49ers got absolutely boned on that last Cleveland drive with shit calls, but they gave up yards *after* those calls so they really have no one to blame but themselves (and ok fine Deebo and Christian were hurt which didn’t help, but they don’t play defense).

The Jets D is LEGIT.  The offense, not so much.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I suppose you could have a 6pm kickoff in London, which would translate to 10am on the west coast. Still not thrilled at the thought of Super Bowl brunch. 

The Super Bowl is a communal event; people don't tend to watch it alone.  At 10:00am on a Sunday, people on the West Coast are not going to be hosting or attending Super Bowl parties or going to bars, pubs, or restaurants (most of which wouldn't even be open at that hour unless breakfast/brunch was served, which would rule out all bars and almost all pubs) to watch the Super Bowl.  It's such an exceedingly stupid idea that only Roger Goodell could've conjured it.

• Like 5