Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Is one of those special guests a magician who can de-age TB?  Because an immobile QB in his mid-40s who (understandably) doesn't want to get hit is not the key to success.

To be honest, the special guest is actually a decent culture.  Tampa Bay & decent culture are not a match

I figured there would be at least one upset this weekend but for me Cincinnati winning isn't really an upset.   I really hope they go into KC and play as well as they played today.

14 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

But really, for me, it's Anybody But Dall-ass.

If KC is in the SB I would have no problem rooting for Philly or SF.  If it's Dallas I would have to find something else to do that night.  Like watch paint dry.

• Like 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Disappointing, but I would have been rooting for the Bengals if this game were in Cincinnati so 🤷🏻‍♀️.  I just can’t hate on Joe Brrrrrrow.

I think Cincinnati would have won the Damar Hamlin game, too. 

Emotion and home field and snow are overrated when your team is just better than the other team.

• Useful 1

While Kansas City gets the extra day to rest (unlike last year), it's going to be Cincinnati vs Dallas, San Francisco, or Philadelphia.  There's no reason for the AFC Championship Game to take place.

Edited by Carey
I don't think I have to worry about the Old Take TBH
3 minutes ago, Carey said:

While Kansas City gets the extra day to rest (unlike last year), it's going to be Cincinnati vs Dallas, San Francisco, or Philadelphia.  There's no reason for the AFC Championship Game to take place.

Romo predicted that Mahomes would be on crutches by Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Carey said:
3 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If KC is in the SB I would have no problem rooting for Philly or SF.  If it's Dallas I would have to find something else to do that night.  Like watch paint dry.

I think I still have my copy of Super Bowl 51.  Plus, there's PGA Golf on (though they'll be done before kickoff)

5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yesterday I was like, Chad Henne's still in the league??  And now he might be playing in the AFC title game. 

Romo's an ass, but he might be right.  Although Mahomes is sure to want to try to play.

• LOL 1

It’s funny (probably only to me), to think about the fact that the teams with multiple Super Bowl victories have multiple quarterbacks- Green Bay with three, New York Football Giants with three (even though one was a fill-in), Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Dallas with two or three (guessing two for all of them), San Francisco, Washington, Baltimore and Denver with two. (Or does Washington have three?)  (I’m not counting Baltimore/Indy, but their answer is also two) Oh fuck also Tampa with two.  

And then you have New England.  One QB, six titles.

Hate it.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It’s funny (probably only to me), to think about the fact that the teams with multiple Super Bowl victories have multiple quarterbacks- Green Bay with three, New York Football Giants with three (even though one was a fill-in), Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Dallas with two or three (guessing two for all of them), San Francisco, Washington, Baltimore and Denver with two. (Or does Washington have three?)  (I’m not counting Baltimore/Indy, but their answer is also two) Oh fuck also Tampa with two.  

Hate it.

You forgot the Raiders and their two QBs. 

Dallass in their home whites today.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Hate it.

Green Bay's SB wins were stretched out over multiple decades -- Bart Starr's two wins in the 1960s, Brett Favre's one win in the 1990s, and Aaron Rodgers's one win in the 2010s.  Pittsburgh the same way -- Terry Bradshaw in the 1970s and then Roethlisberger in the 2000s.  Similar with the other franchises.  It would be almost impossible to string those QBs together into one SB career the way Brady did.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Hate it.

Me too.  I'm pretty petty, but I knew it was going to happen.  The second Joe Flacco connected with Jacoby Jones to achieve a tie vs Denver, I was like, "I believe in trends, so here comes 3 more Patriots SB titles."

While there's not a valid connection, I did think that when that happened, Baltimore was winning the whole thing, and the first time they won the whole thing, New England, soon after, won 3 Super Bowl titles within a half-decade.

Call me petty, but both the Pats & Ravens sorta sabotaged (legally) Pittsburgh's efforts toward being the city of champions & the best of the best of the best

5 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Yesterday I was like, Chad Henne's still in the league?? 

Me too.  I thought that guy that played for the Jets?

15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

My question is when would the Chiefs have to disclose that?

If we are talking about teams who had multiple QBs win them SBs how about teams who had multiple coaches win them SBs?  Pittsburgh had three.  Granted it was over four decades.

Also is there a head coach who has won a SB with different teams?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Nope.  I almost said Andy Reid, but similar to Parcells and Holgrem, he fell short

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don’t think so?  If I am remembering correctly, I think John Fox was Denver’s coach when The Legion of Boom happened, and he had lost also with Carolina.

7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't think so.  Several have been to the SB with two different teams, but didn't win with one of the teams.  Coaches like Andy Reid.

10 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Green Bay's SB wins were stretched out over multiple decades -- Bart Starr's two wins in the 1960s, Brett Favre's one win in the 1990s, and Aaron Rodgers's one win in the 2010s.  Pittsburgh the same way -- Terry Bradshaw in the 1970s and then Roethlisberger in the 2000s.  Similar with the other franchises.  It would be almost impossible to string those QBs together into one SB career the way Brady did.

That’s why I found it so crazy.  That’s how you would *think* it would happen, with 52 years of Super Bowls teams would be spread out.  But noooooo.  Not stupid New England and doing it within 20 years.

Shula lost with Baltimore before winning with Miami

Parcells won with New York before losing with New England

Mike won (and lost) with Green Bay before losing with Seattle

Andy Reid lost with Philadelphia before winning (and losing) with Kansas City

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Hate it.

Tom Brady has more Super Bowl wins than any one individual franchise. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Curt Menafee said before the break “don’t you dare go anywhere” and ok I won’t.  I would never want to disappoint Curt.

Curt "promised" it'll be a great 2nd half.  Whilch is very possible, but what's just possible is San Francisco score 35 points to Dallas nothing to validate a 44-6 blowout.  Which would be....YAY!

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Let me just say I am looking forward to Greg Olsen calling the Super Bowl.  Knowledgeable without talking all the time.  Just the right level of excitement for the play.  

Ditto.  I don't like to bring this up, but if/when TB12 retires, he's slated to be apart of the NO 1 team.  I read somewhere that Greg would move to the No 2 role; if so, that's a little idiotic.  Greg & Kevin have great chemistry; they work well together (though I have to respect people "missing Buck/Aikman" call a big game)

TB12 should be apart of the top team; it would be dumb not to have him there, but why does Olsen have to get demoted.  It's not like FOX didn't employ three dude from 2002-2005 for their Top TEAM to replace Pat/John.  Furthermore, they went with TWO sideline reporters full time.  It's not a (federal) crime to have Kevin/Greg/Tom as the top team with Erin/Tom on the field.

On a related note, I had to laugh at the Social Media banter between a poster and Joe Buck.  Joe and Troy forgot they're off this week; the Giants/Eagles game is the last game that'll be called by an inferior team in the divisional round and beyond.

Starting next year, all four networks will get a divisional round game.  So, it'll always be Jim/Tony : Kevin/Greg : Mike/Cris : Joe/Troy going forward.  No more B Team in this part of the NFL Postseason

40 minutes ago, Bastet said:

WTF is Shanahan doing?  This is Andy Reid level of time mismanagement.

If this was going to be said about a coach in this game, I would have bet it would have been Mike McCarthy.  

Wow - George Kittle.  I think he gets credit for 2 receptions on that, maybe 3.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Carey said:

TB12 should be apart of the top team; it would be dumb not to have him there, but why does Olsen have to get demoted.  It's not like FOX didn't employ three dude from 2002-2005 for their Top TEAM to replace Pat/John.

I loathe three guys in the booth.  It didn't work with Gifford/Meredith/Cosell, and it hasn't worked in all the decades since.  And how long do you think TB12 would tolerate being 1/3 of the team or 1/2 of the color team?

Do we even know if Tom Brady is any good at color commentary?  They've tried quarterbacks before who were complete duds, all the way back to Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen.

• Like 3

Finally!  Welcome to the game, Niners offense.  To borrow from The West Wing:  I tell you what, let's forget the fact that you're coming a little late to the party, and embrace the fact that you showed up at all.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:
21 minutes ago, Carey said:

TB12 should be apart of the top team;

Why?  He hasn’t proven himself.

Neither did Romo.  Well, until he started calling games

9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I loathe three guys in the booth.  It didn't work with Gifford/Meredith/Cosell, and it hasn't worked in all the decades since.  And how long do you think TB12 would tolerate being 1/3 of the team or 1/2 of the color team?

Do we even know if Tom Brady is any good at color commentary?  They've tried quarterbacks before who were complete duds, all the way back to Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen.

Despite my post, I actually & totally agree with you.  I'm not a fan of 3-dude booths.  You only need 2 men calling a football game.  Three is a crowd.

I'm just pimping a 3-man booth because FOX is slated to screw Greg Olsen in favor of Thomas.  To be fair, Brady has done some media NFL stuff.  His (MNF) material with Jim Gray and the Fitz is actually pretty good IMO.  He's done that for years.  Unlike Tony, he's done some stuff off the field fo the league.

But year, I'm not a fan of 3 man booths.  Furthermore, I HATE 2 people on the sidelines.  People like Erin, Tracy, Melissa, Lisa, and even Michele when she was the person, do NOT need a second person working the sidelines.  That may be the dumbest thing in the history of the decsions on who's on the call for a typical game

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Carey said:

Neither did Romo.  Well, until he started calling games

Mmmmmmmmm…not sure that is yet proven.  Even people who were googly-eyed over him when he first started are turning on him.

Funny thing is, I’m going to watch the game even if Satan himself were in the booth.  Who is announcing the game may be as annoying as all fuck, but it’s not going to make me not watch.

• Like 6
52 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Let me just say I am looking forward to Greg Olsen calling the Super Bowl.  Knowledgeable without talking all the time.  Just the right level of excitement for the play.  

Yes, yes and yes!!! 

As a Panthers fan I’ve always loved Greg Olsen and what he’s done for Levines Childrens Hospital in Charlotte. I remember when his son had his heart transplant. 
My 10 year old underwent his own emergency heart procedure at Levines last summer. 

McCaffrey is (or was) very involved with Levines when he was in Charlotte. I’m really hoping 49ers pull out the win tonight! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
Just now, mojoween said:

Mmmmmmmmm…not sure that is yet proven.  Even people who were googly-eyed over him when he first started are turning on him.

He got all those rave reviews in his first season, and it went to his head.

But remember, CBS desperately needed to get Pheeel Simms (We loved him as a Giants QB, but you gotta admit he was deadly in the booth) out of the booth.  FOX has no such need with Greg Olsen.  Greg Olsen is really good at this, and I can't remember once wanting to throw something at the TV because of something he said.  He doesn't make the game all about himself or making himself look good.

• Like 1
Just now, Carey said:

Cowboys punted.  OKAY then.  See you next week when the Eagles WILL HOST the Niners for the right to face the Bengals the AFC winner!

I get that they were deep in their own territory but what are the odds Dallas is going to get the ball back?

5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Funny thing is, I’m going to watch the game even if Satan himself were in the booth.  Who is announcing the game may be as annoying as all fuck, but it’s not going to make me not watch.

Same here.  I'm sure I'll tell Tom Brady to shut up as much as I grumble it at Romo, but, while having them on the field could keep me away from a game, depending on circumstances, having them in the booth won't if it's a game I otherwise want to watch.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Same here.  I'm sure I'll tell Tom Brady to shut up as much as I grumble it at Romo, but, while having them on the field could keep me away from a game, depending on circumstances, having them in the booth won't if it's a game I otherwise want to watch.  

I agree - I'd never let an announcer drive me away from a game I want to watch.  I once or twice have muted a game for a few minutes to get a break.

If I could sync up the radio with the tv broadcast for the Super Bowl, I'd listen to Kevin Harlan on the national radio broadcast.  

Haven't they all been told to stay in bounds?  Never assume players know what they should do. It's like a kick after a safety - always remind them it is the same as a kickoff where the kicking team can recover it, not like a punt.  The other thing that drives me nuts is the game-clinching interception where the DB is running down the field with the ball, usually holding the ball up in the air where it can be knocked free.  In the NFC championship game Packers v. Bears in January 2011 I almost ruptured a vocal chord screaming at Sam Shields to GET DOWN FFS when he made that pick.    

Edited by Calvada
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Greg Olsen talks about the officials winding the clock and I’m picturing a guy on the sidelines (next to the guy with the chain) with an old-timey alarm clock with a key in it, making sure the clock is wound to the correct seconds.

• LOL 4