Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

We don't seriously think that we're actually part of the team!  It's just whatever rolls off our tongue at any given moment. 

Yeah, I say "they" a lot more than "we", but "we" has definitely come from my mouth - or fingers - at times.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

And who exactly are KC, Jax, Buffalo, Tennessee and NE playing?

Doesn't look like Steelers will be one of their opponents. We play Jax, NE and Tennessee but we play them at home.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-to-sign-k-tristan-vizcaino-to-practice-squad-after-brett-mahers-brutal-playoff-showing-233611912.html

Guess the Cowboys want a back up.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I say "they" a lot more than "we", but "we" has definitely come from my mouth - or fingers - at times.

I find for me that it's we in cases like "We looked good this week" and "It looks like we've got our quarterback for the future." 

And it's they in cases like "They've got cap issues" and "They suck."

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I find for me that it's we in cases like "We looked good this week" and "It looks like we've got our quarterback for the future." 

And it's they in cases like "They've got cap issues" and "They suck."

Are you me?  I take no responsibility for failures.

The Cowboys Owner said that they weren’t going to get a new kicker and then the GM signed a kicker to the practice squad.  🤔

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Carey said:

It's interesting that they moved on from the DC last year and then the OC this year. I guess even really good teams like fresh voices in those jobs once in a while.

He designed that offense around what Jackson can do, and it's been really good when they're not crushed by injuries. 

It does make one wonder if the team has doubts about whether or not they can come to a long term deal with Jackson, and a new OC and new offense could be a sign that they're ready to move forward without him.

I personally don't think that's what they WANT to happen, but this kind of thing does make me wonder if the team has less than full confidence that they're going to get a deal done.

NFL..tsk..tsk..tsk  They are already selling tickets for potential Buffalo  KC match-up.   All that does is clarify that they want Buffalo to win. So expect little nudges by refs here and there to help them along...wouldn't that be the feel good story of the year, buffalo on a mission for their fallen teammate.   All you gamblers out there be forewarned.   

Here's a link to what morriss posted as it relates to the early AFC Title Game sales.  For the record, this isn't anything new.  NFL teams, really teams in other sports have started the process of selling tickets early in the past

Edited by Carey
  • Like 2

You can even find cancelled events on Ticketmaster, like NFC championship games at Tampa and Minnesota.  Not everything is a sign that the NFL is trying to rig a certain matchup.  But this is exactly what fans of the Bengals are probably going to think about any call that goes against them - we're the victims!

• Like 6

I’ve been to a Bills game before in 2011 and 2013.   Despite them being in their playoff drought though still very good and loyal fans.  I think back very fondly of going to a game there.   

However, after reading their message boards as much I would enjoy them finally hoisting a Lombardi, couple things that bother me about that fanbase:

They love Josh Allen.  No you don’t understand it goes beyond a healthy admiration.   It wouldn’t surprise me if many adult male Bills fans masturbate to his throws and runs how they speak of him.

They joke about other teams all the time now.  I mean really???  Huge turnoff right there for a team with a 17 year playoff drought in recent history.

And let’s be real.  The Bengals got fucked by the Hamlin situation.   This game should be on neutral turf.

Having said all that I do think in general Buffaloians are wonderful people.  I’ll be happy to see the Sabres make the playoffs this year.   I just don’t feel the Bills 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

All fans have their share of idiot homers, and the I'm sure the loud Bills ones on the boards are talking shit for no reason. Same goes for Vikings fans, Bengals fans, etc. They are going to talk smack when they are doing well, forgetting that their team has won Jack shit. The only team that can remotely crow about how good they’ve had it for the past two decades has been Pats fans, but they are too busy crying over how their current team “sucks” (when they don’t). 

• Like 2

My team (used to) boast(s) about the record in terms of the Lombardi stacking.  That sorta went away 4 years ago.  Since then, and really prior to that, they want people fired because their standards are high, maybe higher than someone else.

My team's fanbase not only has idiot homers, the degrees from that are expansive.  They want their own leadership fired when the smallest things don't go their way & when things end.  I don't know; I think several members or fans on my team need to focus more on their careers.  Many of them suck at their own jobs.

As mentioned, New England fans do have bragging rights.  That might go away sooner than later, especially if San Francisco starts winning again (or Dallas' quarter century drought ends in a big way).  TBH, however, at least most Pats fans still have as many championship rings as the Lions & Browns combined

• Like 1
On 1/18/2023 at 7:58 PM, Carey said:

I'm not.  New York is undefeated against Top seeds.  Even when they reside from the American Football Conference

So I just heard this stat. Since 1990, the Giants are 6-0 against 1 seeds in the playoffs. 

More Giants stats:

• Most road playoff victories in the last 20 years, the NY Giants.
  • In playoff games where one team had at least a +125 point differential in the regular season and the other had a negative point differential, the +125 teams are 18-3.  The 3 are the 2011 NY Giants.

So there you go. The Giants have a recent history of being pretty good when they also aren't that good. 

On the other hand, the Giants are really good at losing to the Eagles, often coming up with very creative ways to lose. So there's also that. 

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

the Giants are really good at losing to the Eagles, often coming up with very creative ways to lose.

At least Herm Edwards isn't playing for the Eagles this weekend, one less thing to worry about!

25 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

I wonder if the Eagles should even bother showing up for this game considering how many Internet geniuses think the Giants are somehow a lot better than them.

I'm old enough to remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands.  And when the top seeded Giants were unceremoniously ousted by the Iggles in the 2008 playoffs.  I never, ever take those guys for granted.

But how many internet geniuses picked the Giants not only to make the playoffs, but to get past the first round against a 13 - 4 team?  As I posted upthread, both NFL.com and ESPN.com preseason rankings placed the G-men 28th out of 32.

The old saying is, that's why they play the game.  The other old saying is, any given team can beat any other given team on any given Sunday (or Saturday or Monday or Thursday, these days).

Edited by meowmommy
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The 7th seed in the playoffs is now 0-6 with an average margin of defeat of 12.2 points per game, so can we end this experience now and go back to 6 teams?

That depends, are they going to drop byes altogether?  Because if not then that seventh seed has to be there to get to six games over wild card weekend.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The 7th seed in the playoffs is now 0-6 with an average margin of defeat of 12.2 points per game, so can we end this experience now and go back to 6 teams?

Not as long as there's money to be made.

What should be overhauled is the automatic minimum seeding of 4 for winning a division.  No way should Jacksonville but especially Tampa have been a fourth seed.  Fine, get a spot for winning the division even with a dismal record, but seed 1 - 7 completely based on record and if necessary, tie-breakers.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mean Machine said:

I wonder if the Eagles should even bother showing up for this game considering how many Internet geniuses think the Giants are somehow a lot better than them.

What I'm hearing from the general national media is that everybody thinks the Eagles are a deserving #1 seed, the more talented and better team, but they also think that the Giants are a better team right now than they were when they played the Eagles in week 14.

And therefore, the Giants are an interesting underdog pick this weekend. NOBODY will be shocked if the Eagles win by two touchdowns.

There is also a big time recency bias happening with this game. The Giants offense actually looked like they know what they're doing against the Vikings, and their defense managed to slow down Jefferson and a very good Vikings offense. 

On the other hand, the last time we saw the Eagles, they lost two in a row when their Quarterback was hurt, and they beat the Giants by one score in week 18 when the Giants were sitting all of their important players and rolling with the practice squad QB.

That's the formula for people starting to think that the objectively speaking inferior team is the superior one. Vegas knows what is what, as the spread is 7.5.

Bottom line for me, as a Giants fan, is that the Giants have to play a flawless game and hope the Eagles make a few mistakes just to get this game to go down to the wire. But that's kind of how the Giants won most of their games this year, so nothing new here.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm old enough to remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands.  And when the top seeded Giants were unceremoniously ousted by the Iggles in the 2008 playoffs.  I never, ever take those guys for granted.

But how many internet geniuses picked the Giants not only to make the playoffs, but to get past the first round against a 13 - 4 team?  As I posted upthread, both NFL.com and ESPN.com preseason rankings placed the G-men 28th out of 32.

The old saying is, that's why they play the game.  The other old saying is, any given team can beat any other given team on any given Sunday (or Saturday or Monday or Thursday, these days).

2008- no pun intended…. plaxico shot the team in the leg.  

That team was better than the 07 or 11 one 

• Sad 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Not as long as there's money to be made.

What should be overhauled is the automatic minimum seeding of 4 for winning a division.  No way should Jacksonville but especially Tampa have been a fourth seed.  Fine, get a spot for winning the division even with a dismal record, but seed 1 - 7 completely based on record and if necessary, tie-breakers.

I agree & disagree with your points here.  I wasn't a big fan of adding an extra team to each conference in the postseason (in addition to not being a fan of adding an extra week).  However, when it comes to "making more money" there's no turning back.  The product was wonderful last decade; it wasn't that popular to add to the playoffs when there hasn't been any league expansion in over 2 decades.  Fortunately, no one from Buffalo or San Francisco got nailed by the injury bug.

I can't agree in terms of overhauling the structure of the playoffs.  I've heard "Well, a 4 seed division winner gets an automatic playoff berth" as a reason or defense for an overhaul.  The fact is that a non-division winner that finished the season with a great record but failed to win its division gets reward with a playoff spot.

A double digit winning team should be able to win regardless of the venue.  If they can't then they don't deserve to be in the postseason.  FWIW, teams like Philadelphia & Kansas City each had a lot of road games in the regular season, and they won most of them.

I understand the concern as it relates to Jacksonville & Tampa Bay, especially the latter.  I might listen to an argument (though I'd double down & agree to disagree).  For those two teams, along with Dallas and the LA Chargers, I don't think the game venue was a big deal at all.  Both Jacksonville & Tampa defeated their 5-seed foes in the homes of the eventual 5th place teams.  Finally, Jacksonville wasn't that far behind the Chargers in the standings.  Probably a game (or two) out.

Way too many divisions in the league.  Twice as many divisions than teams within a division.  Can't really do anything about that until 2025 at the earliest

• Like 1

You all may know that I think gambling is dumb, but I pay attention to the lines because it would be really hard not to.  Hearing this weeks action, it is absolutely ludicrous that the Cowboys are only getting 3.5 while Cincinnati is getting 5.

Mojoween, I have more to say about your comment that I'll have to get to later.  To be brief, I may or may not agree with the gambling part being dumb but I totally respect it.  The line for Bengals/Bills, IIRC, started at 3.5 but rapidly moved to 5.5.  Compared to the Cowboys/Niners, it actually does make sense.  You have to go by what's happening now, not what happened in the past

This is the first year that I can recall that I have positive feelings for each AFC team.

I cannot say the same for the NFC.

I lumped Cincinnati in with my astonishment about the lines, but really what is CRAZY (to me) is that Dallas is only getting 3.5.  How. The fuck?  Vegas hates Brock Purdy, or what?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Vegas hates Brock Purdy, or what?

Probably they hate him less than they don't exactly trust him.  It's still unclear if he's the next Tom Brady, or the next Matt Cassel.

The line and the spread mean nothing to me.  I want the Giants, Bengals, 49ers to win, and don't really care about Jacksonville and KC.  Whether it's by one point or a hundred.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, JTMacc99 said:

So there you go. The Giants have a recent history of being pretty good when they also aren't that good. 

On the other hand, the Giants are really good at losing to the Eagles, often coming up with very creative ways to lose. So there's also that. 

I used the think the NFC East (not factoring in Washington) was the NFL version of rock-paper-scissors.  The Eagles own the Giants who own the Cowboys who own the Eagles who own the Giants...

The Giants history is a real thing.  However, if they lose tonight, it's due to running up against a better team.  It is fair to point out that streaks/trends always come to an end

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

You all may know that I think gambling is dumb, but I pay attention to the lines because it would be really hard not to.  Hearing this weeks action, it is absolutely ludicrous that the Cowboys are only getting 3.5 while Cincinnati is getting 5.

The Bills started as -3.5. The line moved to 5 after the Bengals told us that two of their offensive linemen were out. Money shifted too much in favor of the Bills. 

I will assume that the Cowboys hype machine is what makes that line so close. That and again the recency bias where the Cowboys looked really good in a game where people thought they could lose.

If I were betting this week with spreads, I’d take KC -9, SF -3.5, CIN +5.  

I wouldn’t bet the Giants game due to my loyalty problem. If they lose, I think it’ll either be by 20 points, or on a last second 68 yard field goal or 99 yard punt return or something awful that doesn’t cover the spread but makes me miserable. 

• Sad 1

In terms of straight up picks (or the moneyline): I'm going Kansas CIty, Philadelphia, Buffalo, and San Francisco.  Basically it's a petty hedge weekend.  Going chalk this weekend, but I like the road dogs too.  That includes Dallas despite not picking them to cover.  Not a fan of picking Jacksonville to cover despite actually doing so.  Anyway, here is my stuff:

Jacksonville/Kansas City
Chiefs 9.5
Jaguars & over

New York/Philadelphia
Eagles 7.5
Giants & under

Cincinnati/Buffalo
Bills 5.5
Bengals and over

Dallas/San Francisco
San Francisco 3.5
Niners and over

I think the Jaguars do whatever they can to compete, and the Chiefs keep it interesting until they don't in favor of the AFC West champs.  However, boredom hits and that'll allow the AFC South champs to cover as the "last second" on a number that recently went up over the past 12 hours (from 8.5 to 9.5)

The Eagles have the Giants number.  They are the better team.  However, if trends hold, the Giants are headed to the Super Bowl.  From there, the New York Football Giants will win the Super Bowl unless Kansas City loses either one of their next 2 games.

Buffalo is undefeated at home in the playoffs.  I'm not going to rank this era of the Bills over the one from the Wilson/Levy/Kelly/Smith Era.  I might if they win a Super Bowl.  However the Bills, who have dealt with their own injuries, get the AFC Champs at Orchard Park.  Not sure why that is the case no questions asked, but that's the deal.  Cincinnati has been great on the road.  Not an easy game to pick, but the Bills have never lost a home playoff game.

Sure the Cowboys got hosed for playing a short week against a team with an extra day in general.  Blame the league for that one.  However, and IMO, the Niners shouldn't even have played last week at all.  I think the 49ers win a close game, but they cover since Dallas can hang with them but in their attempt to win/take the lead, they'll flip the points for yet another backdoor cover.

I'll be honest: I want to see Chiefs/Bills in general.  As does the NFL.  We just had Chiefs/Bengals last year.  Yeah it's only been 2 years, but Buffalo is a tad bit better this year, mainly Allen.

That being said, I wouldn't mind an AFC upset.  That way, the chance of the league to see a neutral site conference title game live on the way to a permanent change dies.  For now.

As mentioned, all (good) things come to an end.  Looked more probable than not that Cincinnati would lose their first conference title game.  The Giants won close games in 3 of their last 4 NFC Title games in close fashion.

The Steelers were undefeated in playoff games (minimum 5 games) against their own division until the Ravens ended things in the 2014 season.  They're 10-2 now, but they have knocked off every team in their division in the postseason.  Even the Patriots haven't done that.  I think the Rams have beaten every division team in the playoffs (and rather recently).

No 6 seed had beaten a 1 seed, until it happened.  In fact the first team to do it did so twice...in the same postseason!

TB12 never lost to Atlanta or Dallas...until he did.  I guess nothing last forever!

2 minutes ago, Carey said:

The Steelers were undefeated in playoff games (minimum 5 games) against their own division until the Ravens ended things in the 2014 season.  They're 10-2 now, but they have knocked off every team in their division in the postseason.  Even the Patriots haven't done that.  I think the Rams have beaten every division team in the playoffs (and rather recently).

To be fair, stats like this need more info.  It's possible that many teams didn't have the chance to knock off teams in their division that never make the playoffs.  The AFCN (Steelers division) generally send multiple teams to the playoffs, so more chances for one good team to meet and defeat other teams in their division.  If you are in a division where at least one team rarely makes the playoffs and your team was never pitted against them, it would be impossible to qualify for this stat.

53 minutes ago, Carey said:

The Eagles have the Giants number.  They are the better team.

Both of these things are true. Many, many examples over the years when even if the Giants were the better team, the Eagles would hand them a loss. 

6 hours ago, Magog said:

Its a very small chance that Trevor Lawrence & the Jaguars can somehow find a way to beat the Chiefs in KC. But, I'll willing to give them a punchers chance. 

Their chances have greatly increased now that Mahomes appears to be injured.  I hope I’m wrong.  

1 minute ago, twoods said:

I just don’t understand what a roughing the passer penalty is anymore. 

WHAT WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO?  He absolutely could not stop and he even put his hands up. That call was bullshit.

On another note, I have found myself rooting more for the Jags, which I did not see coming.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I probably will never root for the Jags, but I'd rather only see Philadelphia and then New York win on February 12, 2023.

FWIW, the line went from Chiefs -9.5 to 3.5 (but back to 7.5).  Oh wow!

Ok, NBC, how many times do we have to see Mahomes' leg twist like that?

I think it's crazy that initially they let him go back out there without taking more than a quick look at the injury.  He's the most important player for their franchise!  He couldn't even put weight on it after taking a snap.  I thought we were going to see him being carried by his o-linemen up to the line like Byron Leftwich when he played with a broken leg.  

No one knows what roughing the passer is, especially the officials.  Although I must admit I enjoyed the official's open mic when he told everyone to shut up.  The sad thing for the NFL is that a mistake like that, inadvertently turning on the mic early, will be the reason that guy doesn't work another playoff game, not the iffy penalty call.  

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Carey said:

I'm not surprised.  Jacksonville took out one Chiefs QB; the NFL Kansas City can't afford to lose another

It really does seem like that.

23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

WHAT WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO?  He absolutely could not stop and he even put his hands up. That call was bullshit.

On another note, I have found myself rooting more for the Jags, which I did not see coming.

I don't like KC.  They have become the new NE for me. Steelers do not have a good history with Jax so it's hard for me to root for them but I will make an exception for this game. And Trevor Lawrence's wife seems sweet.  Unlike some other NFL wife.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, twoods said:

This stupid chant is as annoying as the Vikings horn. 

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Stupider.  Have no idea why it’s still a thing.

The Washington football team and the Cleveland baseball team changed their names.  KC hasn't.   Ok fine whatever but can you stop with the chop please?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The Washington football team and the Cleveland baseball team changed their names.  KC hasn't.   Ok fine whatever but can you stop with the chop please?

At least most of my posts exclude the actual team name for Kansas City.  I did the same for Washington, including their historic awful name, their cheesy temp name, and the current one.  It just became easier to type/say Washington whenever talking about the 1991 NFL Champions.  Fair enough, it's even easier to type "KC" so there's that.  Ditto FSU for Florida State, but man, that chop BS can just go away. It might for at least the season if Buffalo wins, but that's what KC is doing: winning.  Washington did not