Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: High Noon

thewhiteowl

Cady gets a lucrative offer to work at a local corporate law firm, but quits upon learning the firm represents Nighthorse's companies that are suing Barlow Connally. Walt helps a drunken Barlow home after he wrecks his car. However, upon looking around the property, Walt realizes Barlow may have killed his own son and tried to frame Walt for stalking Nighthorse. A confrontation leads to Walt shooting and killing Barlow, although he will have trouble explaining his actions.

I didn't expect Barlow to be discovered and dealt with this soon (though of course there are lots of complications). Longmire should have known better than to pull that knife out.

Cady's naiveté was a little off putting to me. IIRC, she did practice law elsewhere before she came back after/just before her mother died. She should have known how this all works. I did kind of agree with the douche boss that when someone offers you a job, you should learn a little bit about the organization before you accept.

• Love 5

That closing scene was awesome. Couldn't take my eyes away.

I'm pretty sure this last bit is a spoiler. This episode ended with the confrontation with Barlow, not with any of the follow up to it. Having already dropped one spoiler, then you drop a second without tagging it?

Edited by thewhiteowl
deleted spoiler
  • Love 1

Agree with seamusk, the spoilers aren't cool. I'm just watching one at a time then coming to read. Way to apparently spoil not only a specific resolution of something but also a season long arc/general sense of how things go.

That said, I too was super surprised how quickly it all unraveled. Wonder if was in part for budget reasons, Gerald McRaney perhaps expensive and a 3 episode arc this season would surely be cheaper than season long. Also wonder if they learned lesson about dragging stuff out after last season.

So far I'm enjoying this Netflix season. The episodes seem a bit longer which leaves some room I think for character stuff which in prior seasons would have been an extra posted or cut after first showing. I like seeing Henry do the Hector thing too.

• Love 2

This episode was very satisfying and yet sad.

I love that Walt has all his answers now.  I love that Barlow got his just reward, but he was eaten alive by what he had done so Walt did him a favor.  I'm sad to see Gerald McRaney go.  He is such a presence in any cast.  As Barlow he was a powerhouse.

Still blown away that Branch is really gone. 

Did anyone find it odd that Cady was as unaffected by his death as she was?  It always seemed that Branch was in love with her and perhaps more invested than she was but still I found her lack of grief odd.  Walt seemed more moved and devastated by the loss of Branch than she did. 

• Love 4

Yes, I was bothered by Cady's (seeming) little emotion about Branch. Yes, they had a falling-out, but , , ,

Also, as someone said, what was Walt thinking pulling the knife out. Can he not say "fingerprints?"

So far, this was the best episode of the bunch.

Spoilers will be a problem given that NetFlix has released all the shows. So everybody -- reviewers and readers -- need to be careful

By the way: is nothing going to come of Barlow's ex-wife?  (that's who that was last episode, in the limo, right?)

• Love 2

Well, that crushes all my hopes that Branch was somehow still alive.  Dammit!

Mr. Bucket is watching these episodes with me, and I am considering cheating on him ...  and going ahead to finish the episodes without him.  His pace is much too slow for me.  

Regarding Kady's job and her confrontation with her employer, I was surprised to see her tears.  While it was heart-breaking to see her cry, I expected to see a flash of the Longmire temper as her boss piled on the verbal abuse.  

• Love 3

I'm glad they resolved the Martha and Branch killings this early in the season. I questioned their ability to carry the arc through 10 episodes, and I was already getting tired of Walt's obsession with Nighthorse. I also hate Gerald McRaney with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, so I was more than good with a) him being a bad, bad guy and b) him not being on the show any more.

• Love 3

Gerald McRaney deserves an Emmy!

He acted to $h!t out of the first three episodes.  Wow.

That last confrontation scene was seriously intense...did I see that correctly?  He not only provoked Walt to shoot him with an empty pistol...he also proceeded to stab himself with Walt's knife.  Amazing!

PS I love the actor that played the Law Firm Guy that hired Cady.  He's one of my favorite character actors.   He does smarmy smart rich guy really well.  :-) 

• Love 6

This is why I can't watch legal dramas - they get so much wrong.  No way that law firm would have hired Cady without doing a conflicts check. And Cady would not have signed the employment agreement without reading it (worst lawyer ever), nor would the senior lawyer have to inform her of her confidentiality obligations. And the fact that Barlow and Nighthorse were in litigation would have been public record, i.e, not confidential.

• Love 3

Ha, when the new lawyer guy initially pronounced Cady's name as "catty," I really hoped that a Mean Girls joke would follow.

I was surprised that the Barlow/Branch murder was dealt with so early in the season. I hope the rest of the season isn't Walt being suspected/investigated over Barlow's death. And I was yelling at Walt when he yanked the knife out of Barlow's gut. You know better, Walt!

Spoilers will be a problem given that NetFlix has released all the shows. So everybody -- reviewers and readers -- need to be careful

Although there isn't a pinned post in the Longmire forum, I'm pretty sure that the spoiler policy for this show is the same as all the other Netflix shows on PTV (no discussion of later episodes in specific episode threads without spoiler tags, meaning any references to what happens after S4.E3 should be spoiler tagged in this thread, for example).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I loved the episode but hated the Cady job arc. Who takes a job with no idea what's involved? I thought that was weak.

This is why I can't watch legal dramas - they get so much wrong.  No way that law firm would have hired Cady without doing a conflicts check. And Cady would not have signed the employment agreement without reading it (worst lawyer ever), nor would the senior lawyer have to inform her of her confidentiality obligations. And the fact that Barlow and Nighthorse were in litigation would have been public record, i.e, not confidential.

Beyond worst lawyer ever -- would any intelligent person sign a contract the second it is plopped down in front of them, without researching the company?

Yeah, this type of stuff is why I can't watch MEDICAL dramas, so I feel your pain lynnea6:).  I get that this show and others fluff on technical stuff (law, medical, etc.) for what they perceive to be dramatic effect, but so often it actually weakens the plots. In this case, they've made a main character look completely incompetent.

• Love 1