Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: New Jersey

Thaddeus Lowe is a Civil War hot air balloon spy; rival paleontologists Othniel Marsh and Edward Cope clash over fossil discoveries; and physicists Arno Penzias & Robert Wilson find evidence of the Big Bang. 

Featuring Greg Kinnear as Thaddeus Lowe and Stephen Merchant as Abraham Lincoln in "The Union Army Balloon Corps"; Tony Hale as Edward Cope and Christopher Meloni as Othniel Marsh in "The Bone Wars"; Justin Long as Arno Penzias and Jason Ritter as Robert Wilson in "Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (AKA The Big Bang)".

Narrators: Tess Lynch, Mark Proksch, and Jenny Slate

Derek Waters was totally into Tess Lynch. He never drinks that much during a show. Loved every minute of it. So glad my show is back

ETA: He was carrying a pillow with him when he went to sit with her. Could you BE any more into her? TM Chandler Bing

Edited by Arynm
  • Love 3
Derek was TOTALLY into her.

I thought so too, but he has been dating Molly McAleer.  She was on the First Ladies episode last season, she did Frances Cleveland. 

Tess is married and has a kid and another one due any minute.  

I think the actors or stand up comedians who have been story tellers just have a sense of playing to the camera better than others.  

Edited by teddysmom

It's too bad the best story (Cope & Marsh) was the weak segment. Mark Proksch just wasn't that funny. He stumbled a lot, but not in a funny way, just inarticulate (IMHO). 

All the acting out was good, I loved Merchant's Lincoln, and Kinnear and Jason Ritter were also especially great. 

The deliberately cheesy balloon models were also very fun.

ETA: in the interview, Tess seems to imply that this was Derek's second shoot of the day? So that could be one reason he was more inebriated than usual. Not that I am in anyway opposed to crushing on Tess, because that is just common sense.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

Overall a fun episode.  I agree that the middle segment was the weakest, and I really enjoyed the CMB story.  Jenny Slate (with whom I was unfamiliar before this) was really into the story, and seemed to have a lot of fun with it.

Mostly, though, I'm just glad Drunk History is back. 

• Love 1

Fell in love with the show over a Fourth of July marathon. That said, not all stories are created equal. Liked the first and third stories, but second one totally fell flat. Christopher Meloni may be a hunk of man meat but he is not ready for comedy. I loved the Jason Ritter/Justin Long one, just great. Jenny Slate is awesome.

Christopher Meloni may be a hunk of man meat but he is not ready for comedy

cpcathy- Have you had a chance to see the movie  "Wet Hot American Summer" or the Netflix series "Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp"?  You may change your mind!  I like Christopher Meloni as a comedian almost better than his SVU drama days! 

I have not been a big fan of Jason Ritter in the past.  He drove me crazy on "Parenthood".  But I think he's brilliant in "Another Period" and in all of his "Drunk History" spots.

• Love 2

Christopher Meloni is hilarious in Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp. I just finished watching it yesterday. He's done other comedy, too. I thought he was very funny in this ep.

All the actors were very good and funny. I'm glad the show is back.

I thought so too, but he has been dating Molly McAleer.  She was on the First Ladies episode last season, she did Frances Cleveland. 

Alia Shawkat (Maeby from Arrested Development) played Frances Cleveland.

Again I wonder why Jason Ritter doesn't do more comedy. He reminds me so much of his father.

Please watch Another Period immediately.

This is a great medium for Jenny Slate. Sure, she played it up. That's her job. It's supposed to be funny and off the cuff. I appreciate that style more than some of the "and he was like, then she was like" narrative. 

I read an article that said they spent a lot of time with each narrator so they can get usable footage, so Waters says he doesn't drink much so things don't go off the rails. There's been a few times where people threw up. I was actually rather surprised at how wasted he was with Tess. 

• Love 2

I loved all the segments this week. And every time Jason Ritter is in one of the stories, I know it's gonna be a good one. He and Justin Long's chemistry was really good.

I liked Mark Proksch's segment--even the least funny ones you end up learning something!