Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Kim

Well, taking it down to an hour certainly strips the process to the essentials.  This subject went from 272 to 146, and even at the six-month weigh-in was looking lovely -- and was pretty close to her final weight by then, as her months 6-9 were a bust.  But I think she was in her early twenties, and once she lost 100 pounds (six months), she was quite stunning.  What got lost is any sense of who she is, beyond, "I design dresses and I want to live in New York and I want to lose weight so I can wear this size four dress I designed."  That is not even a criticism, just that there was no depth.  Warning:  it is a Heidi episode, but with one hour, Heidi is basically there to cheer or look disappointed -- no big scenes. 

No way was she wearing the size four dress she created in the first segment, but that's okay -- losing almost half of your body weight is quite an accomplishment.  If you watch this show to see someone melt away, and are not watching for the drama, this is the episode for you!  One hour next week, also. 

• Love 2
Warning:  it is a Heidi episode

Thanks jjj, but unless this is plastered across a black screen before the show starts, accompanied by one of those "Emergency Broadcast System" horns it doesn't do the non-Previously reader any good!  Shit like that needs to be labeled!

• Love 6

This contestant seemed to not have any drama so that is probably why they only made the show an hour long.

I call bullshit that she was wearing a size 6 dress when she weighed 166 pounds. That must be some vanity sizing.

• Love 6

Sweet baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph , and the wise men and the donkey, I hate Heidi. I immediately loved Kim; then saw Heidi and wanted to throw things. Hate... with the heat of a thousand nuns [/Twop callback]

Grated cauliflower sounds like a great idea... since I flove cauliflower.

• Love 6

If I were on the show I'd claim that my biggest fear THAT I MUST FACE! is having dinner and a big ole kiss with Enrique Iglesias.....with Heidi nowhere in sight [/snerk]

I call BS on 166 lbs being a size 6 too. WHAT?

• Love 1

If I were on the show I'd claim that my biggest fear THAT I MUST FACE! is having dinner and a big ole kiss with Enrique Iglesias.....with Heidi nowhere in sight [/snerk]

I call BS on 166 lbs being a size 6 too. WHAT?

Even a size 8 at 166 pounds stretched credulity. Especially when she was putting on two different dresses in two sizes, within five minutes.  It basically shows that the size numbering system is completely random, or as a salesperson at Nordstrom told me years ago, the higher the price, the smaller the size on the label.  

• Love 1

This contestant seemed to not have any drama so that is probably why they only made the show an hour long.

I call bullshit that she was wearing a size 6 dress when she weighed 166 pounds. That must be some vanity sizing.

The only way you could wear a size 6 at that weight is if you're super tall and muscular. I'm 5'11" and a personal trainer and I could probably fit into a size 6 at that weight. That being said, Kim is clearly shorter than that. She still looked "big" at that weight, and if she were tall enough to be a size 6 she would look quite slim.

Kim's barely 5 feet tall but she did carry weight in her arms and legs, so possibly she could wear a smaller size in a sleeveless dress than someone at a similar height and weight. I am always so surprised at how pretty most of the women are at the end.

When the show was only an hour I thought maybe she bailed on them. At least it was half the Heidi.

Heidi's challenge at the beginning to create her dream gown from concept to final dress was just too stupid unless her dream gown was a sari. Why present her with it as her failure to finish it made absolutely no difference to her being accepted for the show? I really hate these goals that get set and then not met and then Heidi and Chris are all "that's okay, you still did good, no consequences." They must let their kids walk all over them (rule no. 1 of childrearing being make no threats you won't follow through on).

• Love 1

Well, taking it down to an hour certainly strips the process to the essentials.

But there was still time for plenty of product placement. In the first half, I counted:

Fabric Mart in Honolulu

Parsons The New School of Design

Tim Gunn

Project Runway

Rocco DiSpirito

Christina Ottaviano

Pound a Day Diet delivery service

Quest Bars

Michael Costello

Later, they did a full-on commercial for CamelBak Relay: "it fills at the speed of my faucet."

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

I really liked the joy Kim had when she saw Tim Gunn and Michael Costello (who I didn't really prefer on PR, but he was very sweet here.)

Kim seems really genuine...and not much drama, which was good.  But that also means not much story leading up to her weight.

I still hate Heidi with the power of a thousand nuns.  

Sizing varies to extremes.  Size "6" could be a size 4 or 8 or 10....my experience in shopping is that it varies by label, brand, store.....everything.  I've really tried to steer myself away from the numbers when shopping--just look to the fit. It's difficult when everything is skewed, though (including the skewing of one's own body image.)

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 2

But there was still time for plenty of product placement. In the first half, I counted:

Fabric Mart in Honolulu

Parsons The New School of Design

Tim Gunn

Project Runway

Rocco DiSpirito

Christina Ottaviano

Pound a Day Diet delivery service

Quest Bars

Michael Costello

Later, they did a full-on commercial for CamelBak Relay: "it fills at the speed of my faucet."

I was wondering who the heck all the people at the finale/reveal were--now I think they probably the employees or contact people for these subtle and not-so-subtle sponsors.

• Love 1

I don't understand how this is a selling point. What water bottle/pitcher jug doesn't fill at the speed of your tap, presuming that is the source?

• Love 5

I don't understand how this is a selling point. What water bottle/pitcher jug doesn't fill at the speed of your tap, presuming that is the source?

Yeah, they didn't really explain that well, but I assume it has a filter that filters the water quicker than a Brita pitcher (which you fill the top part, then it takes a while to drip through the filter before you can add more water).

• Love 3

Thanks for the explaination. I have an under the sink water filtration system so thankfully I've never had to deal with those pesky Brita products.

I found it strange that this episode did not even touch upon the past traumas that led Kim to bring overweight. She mentioned being a food addict in phase 3, but aside from that there was little backstory which I found disappointing.

• Love 4

Thanks for the explaination. I have an under the sink water filtration system so thankfully I've never had to deal with those pesky Brita products.

I found it strange that this episode did not even touch upon the past traumas that led Kim to bring overweight. She mentioned being a food addict in phase 3, but aside from that there was little backstory which I found disappointing.

Agreed! Between the whole fashion thing and Heidi's presence and no real digging into Kim's psyche, the whole episode seemed very shallow. I was thrilled that it was only an hour because I doubt I could have handled another hour of "I wish I could be as skinny as a model so I could wear my own clothing designs!" bullcrap. Just make a BIGGER DRESS, for Christ's sake.

• Love 4

On the ABC website yesterday afternoon* it said Kim confronted her divorced father about his bullying of her as a child about her weight. I don't think this was even mentioned? It also said this episode was to run two hours. Perhaps that storyline fell through for whatever reason (not true? No releases signed?) so the epi was cut in half and extra Fresh Off the Boat reruns were shown in the lost hour.

*why yes I do schedule my TV viewing pleasure by checking out ahead of time what the night's show will teach me about lufe, love, and Heidi Powell....

• Love 2

Next week is also a one-hour show, if I can believe LocateTV.com.  I can't stand dealing with the major networks' websites. 

No, there was no reference to Kim's father that I heard, unless it was in the opening minutes -- I missed the Project Runway opening of the episode! 

"However, it’s the emotional journey – including a face-to-face confrontation with her father and a difficult break-up with her boyfriend – that ultimately shows Kim how strong she really is."     [From the ABC website]

I did not see any of this; maybe we can look forward to the two-hour Director's Cut (Heidi's cut!)

Was this the second show in a row without an embarrassing weigh in with strangers staring? I strongly approve of the change if it's an actual change.

The hour zoomed by. Probably aided by the liberal fast-forwarding I've grown accustomed to doing with this show. I don't mind a little drama exposition but I'd prefer they stick with the one hour idea. Cut down on some of the filler crap, include a smidgen of drama & tie it up at the end.

ETA: I thought Kim was quite lovely.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1

I vaguely recall the promo for this show at the end of last week's episode mentioning childhood abuse. Perhaps ABC reconsidered airing the full two-hour episode when they realized this was another Heidi-led makeover, which I suspect has a negative impact on the ratings, and told the editors to recut the material down to one hour.

• Love 1

I vaguely recall the promo for this show at the end of last week's episode mentioning childhood abuse. Perhaps ABC reconsidered airing the full two-hour episode when they realized this was another Heidi-led makeover, which I suspect has a negative impact on the ratings, and told the editors to recut the material down to one hour.

If that's the case, then Harpi will likely be leading next week's transformation, as it is also one hour long.

They need to quit forcing her on the viewers. She is never going to happen. Chris is going to end up getting his once sweet show cancelled.

Couldn't stand her screeching tonight. "You missed your goal by threeeeeeee pooouunds!" Nobody cares about three pounds but you, Harpi.

• Love 3
That painfully forced CamelBak advertisement was a new low for this show.

Oh my god, I think the 7th grade drama class could have made that more believable.  Chris is so darn sweet--even talking about fake dehydration he is so earnest and caring.

I looked for one positive-Heidi was wearing a relatively modest dress at the reveal, not her usual Don't-You-Wish -You-Looked-Like-Me bandage dresses.

If the show could get me a job in NYC as a fashion designer, I'd lose 100 pounds too. Cool perk.

• Love 3

This show makes me nuts.  I may be slightly off on the exact numbers, but they wanted Kim to lose 76 pounds in the first three months.  76 pounds!!!  She lost 73 and they acted like she was a complete failure.  

• Love 3

Oh, the "you didn't meet your goal" is just part of their schtick -- otherwise, where would the drama be?  I did like Kim's response, which was basically what ari333 said, "Yeah, so, I didn't meet the goal, but I lost 73 freakin' pounds in three months, so bite me (just don't swallow)".  I am flabbergasted at the amount of weight the most unlikely candidates manage to lose in those first three months.  In my head, they are locked in a closet each night with mitten handcuffs to prevent escapes and snacks.  Some people must wash out in those three months, but they sure come up with enough weight loss stories to make a series. 

• Love 1

To give a historical perspective -- around 1980, I dieted down to 165 lbs.  I'm on the shorter side, 5'3". I was THRILLED to be able to wear a size 14 blouse and skirt for the first time in my life. How sizing has changed -- and gotten more flattering -- over the past decades.

She was a stunning woman from about the three-month mark on. It was interesting that her torso lost the weight, but her arms and legs retained it the longest.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4

It is ridiculous to expect Kim to design a dress she will wear at the finale. How much weight will she lose? Where will she lose the most, and what spots will remain less "deflated"? Will she qualify for skin surgery? If so, that will make a big difference in her final shape. All of these points made me become very frustrated at the very idea that someone could predict what size and shape they would be a year from now.

That being said, the dress she wore at the finale was not the dress she was holding in her arms when she left boot camp. That dress was short, had a bright red skirt, and the black lace came down in points all around the waist. Up near the chest there was some kind of white panel. The finale dress, while possibly also designed by Kim, was not the same dress. Why would they even try to put one over on people like that? The whole concept was flawed from the beginning and they should have rethought how the dress designing aspect was played out.

• Love 1

Kim really had it pretty easy compared to other contestants. No undressing in front of her peers, sewing (vs. Running a 5k, etc.) For her first challenge, trying on dresses and meeting designers as her milestone (vs. A marathon, etc.). She still did great. Hope Heidi can learn a lesson from that.

Autocorrect took over this post, sorry for the odd caps.

• Love 1

If that woman was a size 4 at the finale, loose skin and all, I'm the queen of England. This show sets unrealistic expectations and weight loss stories. Maybe the skin surgery wouldn't be necessary if they lost weight the healthy way, rather than "extreme" measures (losing 25% of your body weight in 90 days is ridiculous)

I'm torn with the run time. 60 min seemed too short and I didn't feel invested in her journey. 120 min is obviously way too long. Maybe 90 is the sweet spot?

• Love 2

I'm torn with the run time. 60 min seemed too short and I didn't feel invested in her journey. 120 min is obviously way too long. Maybe 90 is the sweet spot?

I think the problem is the editing. They could make us care in 60 minutes, but instead they focus too much on Heidi and Chris, who are honestly incidental to the show at this point. And if they cut down the goddamn "beep...beep...beep..." on the scale to a reasonable amount, they'd have an extra four minutes of screen time available, probably.

• Love 3
Maybe the skin surgery wouldn't be necessary if they lost weight the healthy way, rather than "extreme" measures

Nope. I'm losing a lot of weight, slowly, no time limits, just healthier eating (90 lbs, so far, with moderate exercise, and it's taken 15 months, so Chris and Heidi would be appalled), and sagging skin is definitely a thing.  I'd like to lose another 100, maybe 110, and I figure I'll look like I'm wearing a crepe suit at that point.  I'm always interested in the skin surgery part of the show, because that's what I figure I'm looking at.  I read somewhere while that the body has great recovery skills, it never fully forgives abuse, and that seems realistic to me.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 1

Just make a BIGGER DRESS, for Christ's sake.

THANK YOU.  I feel like any designer that graduated from Parson's must have the skills to size up.  I know it's not a proportional sizing up (as in, you can't just put the pattern on the ol' copy machine and increase the size by X%), but surely if that is what you have GONE TO SCHOOL TO DO, you could figure it out? If not, what exactly are they teaching you? The "bigger lady" challenge on Project Runway always makes me crazy for the same reason.  If you're self-taught (and don't really know what you're doing), then it's one thing.  But to have gone to one of the best design schools in the country and still not be able to make clothes to measure? Nope.

I would love to do that swing they did. Minus Heidi of course. Also these reveals? I read they just recruit strangers in the town to show up! Also what was really strange is two in a row had the same handsome blonde guy in the audience. So he must work for the show. I find the reveals too fake and cheesy. Especially since I know most of the audience are total strangers.

Finally, she is darling looking but 143 pounds and a size 4?, no way. I weigh 134 I am 5'6 and a size 8, at best a 6 in some brands.

I am smaller boned than her. I would like to know what universe she was a size 4. But she is a beautiful gal!

Edited by Ford
  • Love 1