Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: 40 Days Death March

I'm not sure I like them all being together. Is this going to be the final spot for all groups? It will suck if they all end up merging into one large group. Team bromance is too big now.

• Love 2

It was nice having an episode with relatively little drama, more focused on the survival aspect.  It'll be interesting to see how they figure out divvying up the work and food.  My idea would be for them to split into two hunting groups, so they'd only have to share any kills amongst four people at a time.  Seems like there should be enough fish, etc, for them to all have enough, but they need to figure out what the best ratio is for everyone to do a fair share of work and still have enough to divide evenly.  

• Love 1

I'm not sure I like them all being together. Is this going to be the final spot for all groups? It will suck if they all end up merging into one large group. Team bromance is too big now.

I think I heard one of them say it's close to the extraction point so they'll probably stick nearby the lake until then. I wouldn't be surprised if they split to 2 different areas around the lake, but that depends on the available resources. 8 seems to be too large a group for this given how hard they have to hunt for food. Piraña Lake = no small fish to hunt for with the fishnet?

• Love 1

It's a good thing Team Bros and Hoes appreciated the eel...lord knows the guys worked hard for it and didn't have to give them any. Agreed with them that they needed to stay on their good side, in case they need something from them in the future. I just really hope this new group doesn't give Shane a hard time. These women don't seem like the type to be catty bitches, though.

I would have liked to see more of EJ and Laura's reunion, and Jeff and Eva. We didn't even get the satisfaction of seeing them say "hey! I know you!"

• Love 4

I hate to be that guy, but again, I ask: Is it just a coincidence that they all meet up at the lake at the exact moment that Team Alphamale is about to consume the precious eel?  I don't know.  I'm trying to stick with it.  I was certainly glad that Shane left the harpies.  Also, watching the guys kill that eel was incredible.  I can't imagine sustaining the shock of an electric and continuing to pursue it.  Then again, I don't think I have ever been as hungry as these gents were.

• Love 7

I was certainly glad that Shane left the harpies.

I honestly teared up a bit when EJ told him he could come with them. I don't know why he has struck such a chord with me. Kind of reminds me of a dog who has been kicked around, but still greets each new person with enthusiasm...always hopeful he won't get kicked this time.

• Love 11

I hate to be that guy, but again, I ask: Is it just a coincidence that they all meet up at the lake at the exact moment that Team Alphamale is about to consume the precious eel?  I don't know.

argon, I had the same thought and really hope that the Discovery Channel is better than that (I just finished watching UnReal and it supported my views of "reality" tv shows). Yes, coincidences like that happen in real life, but the timing (leaving the old campsite, the amount of time it took to walk to the lake, showing up just before any of Team Alphamale had a chance to take a single bite)?  Had to be a setup.  Just like meeting up with Shane wasn't a coincidence, nor was the appearance of Team No Lips Harpies when Shane and the guys were sitting by the water.

I did like that Shane didn't badmouth his former teammates and allowed them to show their true colors.  I also thought that EJ was very diplomatic and showed his maturity, telling Team Harpie that it would be better for them if they stayed and Shane left with the guys.  It appears that EJ might be the oldest person out there and life experience has taught him well.

If they do break into two teams of four, I wonder what the personnel groupings will be.

• Love 4

I hate to be that guy, but again, I ask: Is it just a coincidence that they all meet up at the lake at the exact moment that Team Alphamale is about to consume the precious eel? I don't know. I'm trying to stick with it. I was certainly glad that Shane left the harpies. Also, watching the guys kill that eel was incredible. I can't imagine sustaining the shock of an electric and continuing to pursue it. Then again, I don't think I have ever been as hungry as these gents were.

It's possible they followed the roast smell or footsteps or something, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were arranged. Either way, their going to Piranha Lake itself seems quite legit, the place seems like the obvious place to get protein, which both groups lacked.

• Love 2

It'll be interesting to see how they figure out divvying up the work and food.  My idea would be for them to split into two hunting groups, so they'd only have to share any kills amongst four people at a time.  ...they need to figure out what the best ratio is for everyone to do a fair share of work and still have enough to divide evenly.  

I hope the Alpha Males continue to do their own thing as a threesome, and the other group (of 5) makes their own camp on the lake somewhere and hunts their own food, just as they said they planned to do.

The 3 'alphas' work well together, and (especially after Shane's harrowing experience with those females!) it would be better if those 3 guys remain separate.

Yes, coincidences like that happen in real life, but the timing (leaving the old campsite, the amount of time it took to walk to the lake, showing up just before any of Team Alphamale had a chance to take a single bite)?  Had to be a setup.  

EJ was very diplomatic and showed his maturity, telling Team Harpie that it would be better for them if they stayed and Shane left with the guys. 

I feel the same way about that so-called "coincidence". It had to be contrived, and I am disappointed that it happened like that. The Alpha Males deserved their moment of savoring their success! 

It was a good thing that they shared a bit of their protein with the others, though. The best chance for the 8 people at that lake now to survive, is by cooperating to some extent between the groups. They are neighbors, and good neighbors help each other out sometimes without actually living together. Borrowing tools back and forth, trading fish for fruit or whatever, will help them all to survive.

As for the vindictive minnow eater and her sidekick, I hope they stay exactly where they are until it's time for extraction. (And I really don't care if they survive, or not!)

• Love 4

I would have liked to see more of EJ and Laura's reunion, and Jeff and Eva. We didn't even get the satisfaction of seeing them say "hey! I know you!"

Yes!  I hadn't seen Jeff and Eva's episode, but I saw EJ and Laura's very shortly before this premiered and was so looking forward to them finally meeting up!  They were a great team, so I'm hoping we'll get some former-partner time next week.

• Love 1

Meh, the whole thing is feeling sooo set up for me.

All the teams finding each other, the group "stumbling" across the guys just as they finished their prayer etc. Even the electric shock of the eel seemed like bad acting. That combined with the fact that the turtle had made a few appearances but they couldn't eat it (endangered) really makes me not believe anything.

It's mildly entertaining but really really not real.

• Love 4

The group of 5 had to smell the food cooking and probably saw smoke. When you haven't eaten anything substantial for weeks, your sense of smell is heightened. It's not surprising they found them. Having said that, it's obvious a lot is staged. You have to remember there's a film crew following them around so the scenes where someone is alone (outside of the infrared night shots) they aren't alone at all.

I hope the group of 5 hunts something big, like maybe another eel, and then shares it with the group of 3. Seems only fair.

• Love 2

The crew actually leaves at night, so their night vision shots are just done by their own handheld cameras.  They have a walkie talkie to call for medical help.  ITA that it wouldn't be hard to find the other group by sight, sound and smell.  But the exact timing of the meetup seems pretty fake. 

As far as sharing goes, it seems like any extra meat would spoil quickly, so may as well.  I'm sure they could only eat so much after eating almost nothing for three weeks.  Hopefully, Jeff doesn't regret saying each group for themselves, if the other group starts having more luck.  I doubt they will, but you never know.  It's a hard decision to make.

• Love 1

Add me to the "no way they just happened upon the guys at dinner time" group! Anyway, I think if the guys had eaten all of that eel that they would have had bad stomach aches. Any leftovers would have gone bad or attracted predators/scavengers.

If all of the hikers to the lake marched for seven-ish hours across the savannah, wouldn't they be very badly sunburned? Nobody mentioned it.

• Love 3

If all of the hikers to the lake marched for seven-ish hours across the savannah, wouldn't they be very badly sunburned? Nobody mentioned it.

No kidding!  Actually, they all look pretty decent right now, considering most participants are falling apart after 21 days.  Somehow nobody's skin is peeling or anything.  Shane and Laura both look pretty drawn, but overall they look/seem unusually good.  Maybe it's just everyone having plentiful water in this challenge, but it does make me wonder.

The main thing that sticks out to me is, why are these people so relatively "pale"? Just like Peach said. The only sunburn I noticed was on the girl with Laura and Dani and even she had sunstrap lines. Huh? I suspect the cast is only outside during filming. Say it ain't so! Somebody?

• Love 1

argon,

I did like that Shane didn't badmouth his former teammates and allowed them to show their true colors. I also thought that EJ was very diplomatic and showed his maturity, telling Team Harpie that it would be better for them if they stayed and Shane left with the guys. It appears that EJ might be the oldest person out there and life experience has taught him well.

So Danielle did a Q&A on Reddit and said that she tried to mediate between Shane and Alana but it was edited out. She also said that she spent 5 hours teaching Shane to make cordage before he left to be alone and that she made his hat/visor. Perhaps Discovery is more interested in simple plots than showing is what's really happening out there. Either way, that makes sense. I just couldn't understand how Danielle could be so different this season than she was on her episode.

I think there is much more manipulation "behind the scenes" with this version than there was with the original "Naked and Afraid". 

They've said from the beginning that eventually, the survivalists would reunite --and I'm convinced that after they had Dani get separated from her (all-female) group in the beginning, they probably made a more-or-less general decision that some prodding and manipulation would be necessary for their intended scenario (whatever it was) to work out as they intended. 

I can believe that Danielle did more to help Shane than they showed on camera. I was impressed with her during the original challenge, although I noticed that she seems more of a follower than a leader.

Regardless of how much she tried to 'mediate' for Shane, in the end she sided with Alana ("the vindictive minnow eater") --even though Shane had gone out of his way to apologize to her personally.

I checked argon's link for Danielle, by the way. Of course she defended herself and Alana. She even defended Honora! ...It seemed like she was full of way too many excuses for her choices (but they were her choices to make).

It will be interesting to see what is revealed tonight, when all 10 survivalists are around Piranha Lake. 

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 1

The crew actually leaves at night, so their night vision shots are just done by their own handheld cameras.  

That doesn't explain the shots of the three guys sleeping and the cat sniffing around camp, clearly taken from a distance. Shenanigans, again. 

• Love 1

That doesn't explain the shots of the three guys sleeping and the cat sniffing around camp, clearly taken from a distance. Shenanigans, again. 

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but they do put up cameras around the camp for when they're sleeping.  So the animals coming in at night seem totally legit to me.  You could tell it was positioned up in a tree or on a pole or something.

I don't know where the crew sleeps but I'd be willing to wager those nightime cameras are also there for surviellance to keep an eye on things from afar.

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 1

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but they do put up cameras around the camp for when they're sleeping.  So the animals coming in at night seem totally legit to me.  You could tell it was positioned up in a tree or on a pole or something.

I don't know where the crew sleeps but I'd be willing to wager those nightime cameras are also there for surviellance to keep an eye on things from afar.

No, I was being serious. It did occur to me that it might be in a tree or something, but honestly.... the fact that NO ONE gets attacked by an animal, bitten by a snake, eaten by a cayman when swimming in "cayman infested waters" just makes the show seem like a whole lot of shenanigans to me. The 'electric shocks' seemed so fake too. When you are seriously shocked, you lose your breath and can even be knocked out (I've been struck by lightning and literally did air time). 

• Love 2

The 'electric shocks' seemed so fake too. When you are seriously shocked, you lose your breath and can even be knocked out (I've been struck by lightning and literally did air time). 

Agreed. These electric eels, if they actually ARE electric eels, must give off the equivalent of a strong static charge. Which is barely worth mentioning. They do recover from those shocks waaaaay too quickly for it to be a real hazard.

Plus the fact that they're super weak after not eating for 21 days - I would think the shocks would be even worse for them. 

I thought in one episode they were scared to even be in the water with the eels in case they let off a shock? 

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure the night cameras showing them sleeping are a sort of trail cam, but I also agree that wild animals do not seem to actually pose the problem they normally would.  The regular series episode where they were in the Louisiana swamp, unmolested by alligators for three weeks, convinced me of that.  But I also don't want to see someone get attacked by alligators.

• Love 2

I think the shot of the big cat coming into their camp could have been set up, but I also found it odd that there was a camera right in EJ's face as he woke up.  I know they have their own handcams but do they really leave those on all night on their sleeping faces?  I wouldn't have been surprised if there was someone from production watching them sleep and had a gun ready.  Why wouldn't that cat have attacked what looked like three pieces of meat?  Seemed like something or someone scared it off.