Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E29: Baby Dance Mama Drama

• Start Topic

Abby announces the ALDC's Los Angeles grand opening party will coincide with Nationals in two weeks. Meanwhile, Kendall is given a solo and goes up against Maddie and Mackenzie to determine who gets the solo at Nationals; the girls have fun with a bridesmaid-themed group dance; and Kris announces she is five months pregnant.

These storylines are getting repetitive...Kendall has to use a prop and Jill complains about it, Mackenzie cries and Abby yells at her, Maddie gets good choreography and wins, blah, blah, blah.

It's kind of telling that in the group dance Abby said most of them were like their mothers, then proceeded to describe the "characters" in really insulting terms. It's so unnecessary to work in the comment about the mothers, she just likes being mean.

Right from the start - the dumpster is the main topic of conversation? Come on production - people expect dumpsters where there is remodeling.

Abby blaming the girls because they haven't gotten better - come on Abby - you haven't been around to teach then - even if they practiced every night - there is no one to correct them if they're doing it wrong and they haven't learned anything new in a year from you.

Maddie #2 on pyramid - since when was she suppose to be the main dancer? It was obvious from the get go that Mac was the one with all the tricks and the one everyone would be watching!

Why this competition for Nationals - haven't we seen 2 girls in the same age group competing in Nationals before?

Good gosh - I feel so bad for Mac - I think the dance has too many elements and is so fast that none of them will look completed. When these kids stress so much that they cry because they know it's too much for them and that they'll disappoint Abby - it tears my heart out. Oh - Abby - next time you cry I'll remind you that only babies cry.

Ironic - Maddie can miss days and still be in the group number but Nia missing one at the end of the week may exclude her from the group dance?

Mac's routine - a lot of tricks but it didn't cut it for me - too many unfinished endings and parts looked immature.

Maddie's routine - beautiful as was her costuming. There are just so many Maddie faces that turn me off though - I wish Abby had never started with the Maddie face thing so I can watch the rest of the dancing instead of being distracted by a face.

Kendall just doesn't connect with either myself or the judges. Her face is mostly void of emotion and that too me was a piece where you could have many facial expressions and take the emphasis of the lack of context in the dance. I watch the full dances on youtube.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jill lengthen your skirts - you're too old for minis. When she's sitting in the chairs - you can look up her skirt - jeez!!

Again what a change a week makes. Abby didn't want Kira nor Kalani back. This week she's overjoyed about the baby - planning a baby shower for Kira and screaming when Kira walks in the room, back from the hospital, before the group number. What the hey!

Group dance - cute! - Watching the whole dance - Abby had to throw in Mac's circle cartwheel - ugh - I kept my eyes mostly on Jojo as she seemed to portray her character throughout the dance.

Anyone want to explain to me what was going on at the end between Jill and Melissa. Why would anyone make plans to go home before Nationals? I must have missed something. I heard Melissa say she was going to Hawaii - was she leaving the girls with Abby?

Edited by tessa
  • Love 1

Not a lot to say, so predictable, Jill's not wrong even though I don't like Kendall's performances, the costume difference and the prop were beyond obvious.

Yup.  What's sad and disturbing is that Abby doesn't make even the feeblest attempt to hide her blatant favoritism towards Maddie.  It's not that Kendall ever has a real shot at actually beating the Golden Child but, still, at least make it look like you're giving her a fighting  chance.  Once again Melissa's oiliness and deviousness were on full display at the end of the show.  When Jill, rightfully, called Melissa out, her "adult" reaction was to storm out spouting profanities.  What a parental role model she is! 

• Love 4

I thought the episode was.....odd.  Abby seems to be a bit more off her rocker than normal with hating Kira one week then acting like her best friend.  We watched online and the video quality was bad so I cannot comment on the dances or conversation because the video kept skipping forward.

I thought the episode was.....odd.  Abby seems to be a bit more off her rocker than normal with hating Kira one week then acting like her best friend.  We watched online and the video quality was bad so I cannot comment on the dances or conversation because the video kept skipping forward.

It looks like they moved away from the stupid fighting with Kira in the script, so it was back to liking Kira.   The dances were typical.  The group one was really cute. 

Maddie and Kendall competed to see who will go to finals.  Of course Maddie won because she is currently more advanced than Kendall.  Jill kept complaining, as usual, that Maddie got the best costume and make up, so of course she will win.  If these competition wins come down to what costume and make up you are wearing, then they are no better than kiddie pageants.  But I am pretty sure costumes don't win these competitions. 

• Love 1

I read online that Kira is only 33. Either someone is lying or she looks rough for 33.

No way she is 33 - if she's 33 I'm 25 ;). She looks at least 40 to me, and it seems pretty obvious she's had some minor work like Botox done so if anything I'd guess her older that she looks. Based on her looks I'd guess her early 40's - like 42/43.

Maybe her black hair and sun damages ages her, but gosh, still not 33.

Kira 33?  I don't believe it. Maybe 38-39. She does have those thick features with make you look older, but she countered it somewhat when she had those moles removed.  The excessive makeup doesn't help either and the pregnancy is making her look really tired.

I thought she looked younger in the talking heads that were obviously filmed later than the competition.  She looks better with a fuller face.  She definitely looks older than 40 though.

I figured her to be early 40's. I think JoJos mom is probably 30 something. Maybe Melissa is probably mid 40's, and Jill and Holly probably closer to 50. But age is hard to tell. I remember Kristy claimed to be 34 (not sure I believed that) and Kelly turned 40 on the show which I thought she looked maybe mid 40's.

Anyways, why was Abby wanted to plan a wedding shower as well when there was no mention of marriage? A few episodes back she was also yelling at Kira about how she was "sleeping with someone who she isn't married to". In this day in age why is that even an issue?

Edited by Laurie4H

Melissa is 47..holly 45..,jill turning 43...jess 40 and kira turning 34. Wow. Not sure I believe these ages :)

When kendall was practicing her solo in the red dress...each time she turned, whatever she had on under the dress like a sports bra went from white to black to white to black. Between turns!

• Love 1

The excessive use of makeup ages most of them with the exception of Holly and Jess.  It gets into any wrinkle that they have and highlights it on camera, I wonder if they use their own makeup as opposed to the specialty make up for HD.

Maddie is by far the better dancer between she and Kendall, that's why it makes the baloney of costume, props and choreography even more egregious, she starts 3 steps behind and Abby widens it by another 3 with her favoritism.  It's so blatant and predictable, it's almost reached drinking game status.

Again - putting Nia up against Kalani  this week is just as ludacris. Both Maddie and Chloe attended Nationals and competed against each other - there's no reason each of the girls can't go

Again - putting Nia up against Kalani  this week is just as ludacris. Both Maddie and Chloe attended Nationals and competed against each other - there's no reason each of the girls can't go

Unless Kalani falls down drunk on stage, there should be no chance of Nia beating her one on one. Kalani is just on another level as a dancer, period. This is, however, Dance Moms, where truly wondrous things happen every day, or maybe as Jeff Collins wills them to. Even he has to know that Nia winning would be highly unlikely unless it means a boost in the sagging ratings.  Hmm...never mind.

Maddie is by far the better dancer between she and Kendall, that's why it makes the baloney of costume, props and choreography even more egregious, she starts 3 steps behind and Abby widens it by another 3 with her favoritism.  It's so blatant and predictable, it's almost reached drinking game status.

It's a tired story about the choreography, costumes, etc.  The moms complaining that if the choreography was better, their uber talented child would have won!  How about if the dancing was better?   But I can't imagine the costumes mattering.  Or at least I hope they don't.  I think the varying costumes and props help keep the audiences and judges from dying of boredom.

I think it's funny when they show Abby fussing over Maddie, but enough already. Let's have some new story lines.

But I can't imagine the costumes mattering.  Or at least I hope they don't.

Quite often they do if the difference in dance ability is marginal.  It's a valid complaint.  As is being "stuck" with jazz instead of lyrical or contemporary.  It shouldn't but it does, which is why you hear the moms saying things about it being risky to do musical theatre - there are judging panels that don't judge it as high as lyrical/contemporary ever.  It depends on the competition and judging panel on a given day.  Just when you think there is a hard and fast "rule" across competitions you come across one that surprises you.  But in general, costumes do count, and lyrical/contemporary pieces do better than musical theater, tap, jazz or ballet.

At any rate, the dancers that regularly get the elaborate solo costuming and make up on Dance Moms have been Maddie, Chloe and Kalani, with a few exceptions for Kendall and Nia.

Edited by NextIteration

I don't get it.  Why?  Where is the logic?

Not sure, could be a number of things, though my guess is the appeal to emotion.  I always felt like a lot can be hidden technically in a pretty emotional lyrical with stunning costumes, I'm not sure that's true, but I sort of always thought so.

Just my opinion but no way is Jill 43. More like 48.

Agreed! Jill and Kira both look older than Melissa to me. How is Jill only 43? I would have pegged her for 48 too - she must have spent a lot of time in the sun. I would have guessed Melissa around 45 so the 47 for her sounds a little older than I thought, but still believable. Holly sounds about right.

• Love 1

If those ages are correct, then I just received the biggest self-esteem boost.  I'll be turning 50 this year and I think I look younger than all of them.  Granted, I'm not on HDTV, so no one is looking too closely at my lines & pores.   I also don't use a trowel to apply 4 inches of makeup and half a pound's worth of spider eyelashes.  I also don't sit in the sun (but that's because I'm Irish and burn-peel-freckle-repeat is not attractive).  Jill and Kira especially should really put down the Mary Kay catalogs.  They look the oldest IMO.

• Love 2