Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Brandon Pops the Question

• Start Topic

(edited)
The Bates celebrate two joyous occasions in a special episode! First, Gil and Kelly Jo fly to Florida to see Alyssa and John and welcome their new granddaughter, Allie Jane, to the world. Then, a few days later, they’re off to Washington, DC, where Brandon plans to propose to Michael using an elaborate scavenger hunt that will have her trekking all over the city!

I started watching this super, super late on the DVR, but realized I had nodded off and missed stuff, so I stopped watching and figured I'd start over from the beginning at some this weekend.

However, from what I saw, Michael looked beautiful.  She really has become quite striking (IMO).

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 3

No, not the season finale, there are still a couple more episodes , at least according to my DVR. The ring was very pretty but I myself could have done without the scavenger hunt. Then again, I'm certain that no matter how Brandon proposed, Michaela would have said yes. I did notice that Brandon calls her Michaela, not Michael the way the rest of the Bates do.

Baby Allie was adorable. Nice to see that Kelly and Gil went by themselves to see her and give Alyssa and John a break. Didn't the Duggars insist on dragging the entire damn family over to Josh and Anna's the day after she'd given birth every time?

I also wonder what do Brandon's sisters do in D.C. Is it the one who has the apartment or 2 sisters? One of them was wearing jeans. No big deal to me but I guess she's not fundie.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wondered too what his sisters did in DC, the scavenger hunt was really cute. Allie was really cute. I also liked that the entire family didn't descend on the Alyssa and John, that's a lot of people right after having a baby. Also it sounded like they brought food and helped out which was nice. It was nice to see Kelly holding Allie. Its really hard not to compare them to the Duggars. I do hope Brandon really does love Michaella. She's obviously really into him, this one he seemed more excited about her compared to other episodes.

There's really a lot of cute and/or good looking people in this family. The girls are beautiful, many of the boys are good looking. The kids are cute.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah the sisters in DC is an interesting twist. Angie had a large apartment and those don't come cheap in that area. She apparently isn't married so she has to be supporting herself somehow. I wonder where she works. The Keilens come off as well educated, I'm interested to know about their background.

Baby Allie was adorable and Alyssa looked like a woman who just returned from a lunch date, not someone who just popped out a kid the day prior. She keeps herself up well.

I think Brandon is getting married because it's what he's supposed to do. Fundies are all about over the top proposals so I didn't take the treasure hunt as an indication of his level of interest. I do think he loves Michael, but not in the same frenzied manner that she loves him. With that said, I hope they're happy together.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I only caught the beginning of the episode and will have to watch the rest but initial thoughts --

Alyssa and John are so not into the big family. Gil said they texted that Alyssa had gone into labor and they were rushing to arrive before the birth, yet before they got to the airport -- John texted a pic of Allie. Me thinks they wanted to make damn sure this event would be 100% private/devoid of siblings so they texted "she's in labor" after the kid had already arrived and then a few hours later texted the pic. I mean the kid was already in a onesie and ridiculous headband by then so it didn't seem like a -- she just popped out, here's the first pic -- type of thing. Seems like they had plenty of time to relax, bond, get her dressed up and then take pics.

It was nice to see Kelly and Gil respecting what Alyssa and John want, even if they don't love it in their heart of hearts. I could see the Duggars saying -- privacy -- ha -- you live half a country away, if you're due Monday, we're arriving the Friday prior with all 19 kids just to make sure we're there in time, you'll just be sitting around waiting for labor to start anyway -- why does it matter if you have 21 extra people in the house! With Gil and Kelly it was nice to see them show up with gifts for the baby, do their grocery shopping, pull their weeds (though not really the first task on any new father's mind), and when they were eating dinner -- Gil was the one making plates and handing them to Alyssa and John -- rather than expecting them to wait on him. Kelly so obviously loves her kids and grandkids; she acted like a "real" grandma -- grabbed Allie and seems like she held her the entire time she was there.

Brandon seems so . . . effeminate. I know a lot of fundie guys aren't that manly, but ew. And he's not that into her. He does like her and probably even loves her like a friend, but I just don't see him being as interested as she is. I think he's a fundie guy -- training for some role within that world -- he wants to have a quiverful; so he needs to get with a girl who shares his values and will be a good mom and let him run his family how he pleases. Michaela fills that role, but honestly if some other girl had pursued him -- she could fill that role too. Michaela has acted so desperate for so long that her family basically clarifies that she's desperate. Some combo of Josie/Carlin/Tory said stuff about how she's been waiting 5 yrs for this. Erin went on about how she was worried he'd NEVER propose. I realize their worldview is small -- if you're 25 (or frankly even 35 or 45) and a boyfriend moves on, is it the end of the world? I mean sure we all want someone, but ideally you want someone who also wants you -- not someone who is thinking -- eh, she's nice enough and she'll give me kids, fine, I can make it work.

Seems like the Keilens aren't anti education, or even if they are they let their adult kids live their own lives. Brandon hasn't strayed off the path. Looking at her linkedin in, it seems like Brandon's sister works for some think tank kind of organization in DC. I don't really understand those DC jobs so I don't know how important she is or not but she's listed as an Executive Assistant to the President of the organization -- not clear if that's secretarial or a fancy DC title. In any event she lives in Old Town Alexandria which isn't exactly cheap, so she's making it work. And she has a college degree and is pursuing a masters at George Washington university.

• Love 3

I think many (most?) fundie men aren't all that manly to start with and then when they're with a woman, they're even more effeminate as they try to act nice and sweet to her. I definitely think that of Chad every time he gets tears in his eyes talking about -- a proposal is her dream and I don't want to mess it up; or how desparately he wants to give Erin a baby. I don't mean that other guys don't feel that way -- but their affect is different when discussing such things. However when you see Chad with Zach -- it seems like two brothers in law just talking about "dude I can't believe I'm going to be a dad, I'm so not ready . . . ."

With Brandon, he's effeminate around Michaela with his giggles and surprised looks, but he's also effimate around dudes which is just weird. His giggling and "oh my gosh" reactions to the ring were a little less than masculine and the "OMG can I HOLD the ring" was like -- really dude?! I am guessing he doesn't associate with any regular non-fundie guys bc 25 yr old guys wouldn't let you live it down if you came across like that; seems like he's never had a friend tell him that it isn't exactly an appropriate reaction for a straight male.

• Love 2
(edited)

Tori and Carlin crack me up, they're so dramatic.  "Who's gonna stay up late with me?  Who's gonna drive me into town?  Do you even know how expensive plane tickets to Chicago are?"  Meanwhile they're both crying.

Hats off to Brandon for pulling off a surprise, given that Michaela's been expecting this for ages and it's impossible to keep a secret in their family anyway.  

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 2

I am so behind on this season because I had no idea it came back! I managed to catch this episode OnDemand.

I do think Allie Jane had been delivered by the time John sent Gil the text and if that is the case, I think it was smart of John and Alyssa to pace themselves and get some alone time with the baby before the parents arrived.

I have to say that as happy as I was for Michael, I felt like the proposal was so drawn out that by the time Brandon proposed, I said 'finally!'. I find the scavenger hunt proposals really boring to watch so I lost interest fast and ended up pressing the fast forward button. I am not into elaborate proposals. I don't know if Brandon is effeminate as much as he just came off really cheesy this episode. I don't mean that in a bad way - he just seems innocent. Like I half-expect him to say 'gee whiz!' and 'gosh golly!'.

• Love 2
(edited)

Alyssa and John are so not into the big family. Gil said they texted that Alyssa had gone into labor and they were rushing to arrive before the birth, yet before they got to the airport -- John texted a pic of Allie. Me thinks they wanted to make damn sure this event would be 100% private/devoid of siblings so they texted "she's in labor" after the kid had already arrived and then a few hours later texted the pic. I mean the kid was already in a onesie and ridiculous headband by then so it didn't seem like a -- she just popped out, here's the first pic -- type of thing. Seems like they had plenty of time to relax, bond, get her dressed up and then take pics.

He didn't text them a pic, that was just production showing us what she looked like. Gil didn't say they received a pic, just a text saying she'd arrived.

ETA: I am just getting to watch this right now and had to point that out. I watched the scene and remembered the conversation in this thread about it so had to pop in and post.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 1

I don't remember how many kids are in Brandon's family but his sister looks so much older than him. When I saw her in the scene planning locations for the clues I at first didn't realize it was his sister, thought it maybe an aunt or something.

I think Brandon is shy and very aware of the cameras.  That said, he went to a lot of effort to make the proposal meaningful to his very sensitive fiancee.  I thought it was very sweet.  OTOH, as much as I love Kelly - she went overboard nagging him to propose, imo.  Previous episode, I think - when they were in Chicago.  She just wouldn't let it drop.  I'm sure she'll be the same about babies the second the ink is dry on the marriage certificate.  I'm a mom of 3 married daughters and you don't nag about when they will get married and you don't nag about babies.  It's their life!

• Love 2

Yeah, I would have been mortified if my mom had essentially nagged my boyfriend to propose. What's the fun in that? Let him figure it out and if he needs prodding then maybe he isn't the right guy. Even though Michaelle was convinced and I hope now that it's in the works they will be very happy.

I finally got Directv so I can watch the show now. But there are only six episodes on demand. Does anyone know when they release them for demand viewing or do they rerun them enough I might be able to record on? Thank you!

• Love 1

Yeah, I would have been mortified if my mom had essentially nagged my boyfriend to propose. What's the fun in that? Let him figure it out and if he needs prodding then maybe he isn't the right guy. Even though Michaelle was convinced and I hope now that it's in the works they will be very happy.

I finally got Directv so I can watch the show now. But there are only six episodes on demand. Does anyone know when they release them for demand viewing or do they rerun them enough I might be able to record on? Thank you!

The UP channel rarely reruns their original programming which makes no sense. I have DISH, and they put the episodes on demand a few days later. But, they also don't leave the whole season on there. You only have so many days to watch an episode(s) and then it deletes on its own.

I felt bad for Brandon because it made sense that he'd want to finish school, get his career established and save money for a ring before he formally proposed. IIRC, they dated for a year and a half which is a perfectly reasonable amount of time in the real world. It's great that Erin and Alyssa had short courtships and are happily married, but how many of these Fundie couples marry after six months and regret it a year later?

• Love 2

I've been watching them on YouTube.  There are full episodes from both seasons.  

• Love 2
but how many of these Fundie couples marry after six months and regret it a year later?

I'd be curious on how often this happened. They literally marry a stranger, someone their never allowed alone with

for a conversation let alone anything else.  

• Love 2

Thanks for the info, Suzy123. Sometimes I think up TV doesn't want us to watch it with how hard they make it. Would be nice to have it on amazon or iTunes.

You're welcome :) Is that your doggy on your profile pic? So cute!

• Love 1