Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

BR is a class act for all of the crap he gets from his Superman stint and again on "Chuck."  I appreciate that he handles it all with so much grace and humor.  I still wish Ray was being played as less creepy but I think BR is doing what's expected for the role. Having read the comments by MG on how Ray is being written, I think BR is doing a fine job with the material he's been given.

SA's deleting sprees are hysterical. 

I'm with him - the posting of clips of the Danish archer is unrelenting. It's absolutely not that archer's fault. It's purely a matter of people either trolling to be idiots OR people posting without seeing that the clips have already been posted MULTIPLE times already.

SA's tone is sarcastic and prone to include cursing if he's ticked or overly excited.  I don't always agree with his approach but he's been consistent that way.

• Love 10

Question for @Dancingnancy or anyone else that's worked on productions/shoots.

I'm hearing that during his Portland panel SA mentioned that it's not uncommon for Arrow to shoot multiple episodes at the same time.  Apparently he mentioned that they were shooting 314/315/316 all in the same week.  So does that mean they're going back and doing pickups/reshoots for 314/315?  Are these 2nd unit shoots for extras and external shots that don't involve the main actors?  Or is it something more involved, like changing scenes?

Just curious, if anyone knows what would be involved or why they'd overlap like that?  I know the episodes spend 34 weeks in post-production so it seems like they were cutting it close for 314.

Edited by Morrigan2575

If I can forget how it started, I think I can warm up to Ray. He's getting crap about stuff that's not his fault at all IMO, and he is handling it pretty gracefully. I don't dislike him on the show all the time anyway - sometimes Ray is quite funny. Not really BR's fault these writers suck at romance. The problem with him on Arrow is that they don't have room to do justice to all these characters. They're essentially trying to do two origin stories this season - three if you count flashbacks, and four if this ends up being an origin for Thea as well. This season appears poised to repeat last season's mistakes, even though the EPs said they were aware of the season 2 issues. I guess we'll see.

• Love 9

That's a much better interview than most.  Good for the interviewer.  (Who knew he used to work in insurance?)

He was asked which he preferred, action or drama scenes and he answered that he doesn't prefer one over the other "but the drama is more important, and not just the drama but the character moments."  He once asked David Nutter the director of the pilot episode which scene he like the best, thinking it was going to be one of the action scenes.

It was the dinner scene.  It was the scene with me and Thea and Tommy and Moira and Walter and too many of those characters are dead.  Sorry Spoiler alert. But he said if that scene doesn't work and we don't care about Oliver's relationships, then we're never going to care about what he's fighting for.  So you can create the greatest action sequences in the history of television but if you don't care about me walking up to Thea and telling her I'll doing anything for her and then hugging Roy and shaking Diggle's hand and telling  Felicity I love her, then you're not going to care about the fight.  So for that reason the dramatic moments and the characters moments are more important.

Wow.  In a nutshell what they're doing wrong with Laurel and even Ray this season.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 14

Second unit usually sticks to action scenes/stunts and pickup shoots. Arrow in particular seems to shoot quite a significant number of stunt sequences with the first unit, probably because Stephen does so much of it. But making an educated guess, if there's no dialog in the action stuff, Stephen is with the 2nd unit while the first unit shoots the dramatic scenes.

It's pretty common for the 2nd unit to be 2 or 3 days behind the first unit, doing pickup shots on location, and with the stunt team. But yeah, I've seen stuff with both units filming all scenes from 2-3 episodes at once, for intance because they only had the location for for a week, or because an actor had limited time.

A recent-ish example that involved pretty much the same crew as Arrow's: Allison Mack filmed extra scenes for several episodes while shooting Smallville 10.01. Then, in the middle of the season, she shot 4 episodes in about 3 weeks. There's one of the episodes that she's not in as many scenes, they filmed those scenes along with stuff for other eps.

Another good example, with the same stunt team as Arrow: episode 804 of Stargate SG-1 had no budget. It had no scheduled shooting dates. What they did was they filmed the scenes in any spare time during the filming of 801-808, using their budgets, and one location already booked for another episode. It's my favorite bottle episode of all time.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

Stargate: SG-1 8x04  Zero Hour (I had to look it up)

As the new head of the SGC, General O'Neill is beginning to feel the weight of his load, and he starts to have second thoughts about the whole idea, questioning his own competency.

• Love 1

Second unit usually sticks to action scenes/stunts and pickup shoots. Arrow in particular seems to shoots quite a significant number of stunt sequences with the first unit, probably because Stephen does so much of it. But making an educated guess, if there's no dialog in the action stuff, Stephen is with the 2nd unit while the first unit shoots the dramatic scenes.

It's pretty common for the 2nd unit to be 2 or 3 days behind the first unit, doing pickup shots on location, and with the stunt team. But yeah, I've seen stuff with both units filming all scenes from 2-3 episodes at once, for intance because they only had the location for for a week, or because an actor had limited time.

A recent-ish example that involved pretty much the same crew as Arrow's: Allison Mack filmed extra scenes for several episodes while shooting Smallville 10.01. Then, in the middle of the season, she shot 4 episodes in about 3 weeks. There's one of the episodes that she's not in as many scenes, they filmed those scenes along with stuff for other eps.

Another good example, with the same stunt team as Arrow: episode 804 of Stargate SG-1 had no budget. It had no scheduled shooting dates. What they did was they filmed the scenes in any spare time during the filming of 801-808, using their budgets, and one location already booked for another episode. It's my favorite bottle episode of all time.

Thanks.  I didn't know about AMack shooting multiple scenes for early S10 but I remember reading stuff about the finale, she was filming scenes for part one while the rest of the cast/crew was on part 2.  I think I also remember the director mentioning that the final scene was Chloe with her son was filmed after main production had wrapped for the finale.  I think I read something about Rosenbaum scenes filming separate as well.  

I just thought that was special occasion things, like for big episodes and casting/schedules.  I didn't realize that it would be normal to have 3 episodes filming at the same time with 1st Unit shooting the main episode and 2nd Unit shooting previous episodes

ETA: I also remember years ago, an interview with Jensen and Jared where they talked about how 2nd Unit would usually film the first victim scene's (that start of the episode) while the boys were usually finishing up the 1st Unit shooting on the previous episodes.

Edited by Morrigan2575

So Katie Cassidy has been confirmed for the City of Heroes con in May (in the UK). Wonder if she'll actually turn up?

That should be an interesting comic con - listed guests also include SA, CL, DR, BR and MB.

https://rogueevent.co.uk/wordpress/the-city-of-heroes/

(Site has disclaimer: "Please note all guests appear subject to professional work commitments and as such please remember you are booking for the Convention and not one or more guests, therefore as per our Terms and Conditions refunds will not be given if a guest pulls out.")

Edited by tv echo

1) Life-Ruiner

2) What episode is he not filming right now?

They are filming 317 right now

This is the Suicide Squad Episode, if it follows 216 it will be mostly Diggle and very little Team Arrow, Arrow or Starling City.  Last year, SA only worked 3-4 days on 216, I imagine he has the same deal here.

I'm happy that Stephen gets to spend time with his family since he's apparently no longer the star of his own show. 

Do you think MG is so pale because of the amount of shade that gets thrown on him? LOL

• Love 5

They're filming the

Suicide Squad episode right now, those usually give Stephen a couple of days off

. David Ramsey tweeted earlier that he's on set.

Edit: or what everyone else said.

Also: Willa is NYC, I think, and Colton posted pics from the mountains. Is Paul Blackthorne in England still? This really looks like David's big ep of the season.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

Also: Willa is NYC, I think, and Colton posted pics from the mountains. Is Paul Blackthorne in England still? This really looks like David's big ep of the season.

Ah yes.  Emily & Brandon are both filming The Flash 1.18.  

I'm happy that Stephen gets to spend time with his family since he's apparently no longer the star of his own show. 

Yep. If the writers are trying to turn this into a shit-shower... sorry, ensemble, then he might as well benefit from it. He's got a gorgeous wife and a beautiful kid, so if I was him, I'd be thrilled at the chance to get away from his increasingly nonsensical job and spend time with them.

• Love 3

Point of information

jhmlee asked: Hi Marc, I wanted to ask you how many episodes of Arrow (S1) were already filmed before the premiere? I'm curious to know if the decision to bring back Felicity Smoak was made before the viewers got to see her. Thank you for answering my question and everyone else's. So nice of you to interact with the fans.

MG: We filmed five episodes before we premiered and Felicity’s first appearance was in Episode 3, so we were pretty far down the road with Felicity by the time the audience got to meet her.

• Love 1
menalsoship asked:

Marc, I HAVE A PRODUCTION QUESTION: Today some news got out that the Titans show at TNT will include characters like Robin(Dick) and Babs. Can you explaine, if u can, how is the process to get characters for Arrow/Flash? Why you can't use some Batman characters because of Gotham but it seems Titans can? Could, for example, Felicity still become Oracle in the Arrow-verse even if Gotham/Titans have the rights to the name? I love all that stuff Jajaja Bye! Love the show!

Great question.  The answer is long and complicated.  At the end of the day, DC decides which shows get which characters.  It’s a function of a lot of things, but it starts with the comics themselves.  Gotham gets first dibs on Batman characters; Titans on Teen Titans characters; etc.  But it’s all part of a larger discussion and, truth be told, above my pay grade.

proxmise asked:

Hey Marc! (Don't worry not a spoiler question) I was wondering, Felicity says ALOT of big words and complicated sentences about her computer hacking. Who writes those lines for her? Is there a writer that has a background in computer science? Or do you just google it? By the way I'm a HUGE fan and love the show! Keep up the amazing work!

We write those lines for her.  The accuracy of the dialogue exists along a spectrum.  The dialogue I write for her is absolute bullshit.  Brian Ford Sullivan writes the most accurate tech-speak.  All the other writers work somewhere in between.

i-write-with-surma asked:

So I can generally understand the thought process behind all the characters' motives, for the most part. I think you writers do a good job with that. The one scene I can't understand, though, is the hallway scene between Oliver and Laurel. To this day, to me at least, it seems like he was yelling at her for having a quite normal reaction to people hurting her. What was your intention with that scene? I'd really be curious to know.

Honestly, we just wanted a really great, dramatic scene.  We don’t take sides when it comes to our characters’ conflicts.  I don’t disagree with you that Laurel had the better part of the argument there — the moral high ground — but Oliver had some good points to make, too.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo

Not spoilers and not behind-the-scenes, so I'm posting these here...

pinkbutterflywannabe asked:
I've never cared about any show in my life how much i care about arrow & don't think my life is a short one.I'm not young. is that my fault? but after reading interviews of EPs saying such hurtful things and treating it poorly,slowly killing me.

I was loving half of your question until I got to the other half.  :)
Interviews are tough.  Particularly since they can be quoted out of context.  My advice:  Let the show speak for itself.

fight--for--now asked:
A lot of people feel like you and Andrew are mistreating Arrow and it's fans by throwing non stop pain in our faces every week and then turn around and say people should watch the Flash because it's fun and exciting and funny. One is a negative emotion and one is very positive, it almost feels like favoritism. Many many people are growing tired of it.

Little known fact (for some reason):  I don’t work on Flash.

Edited by tv echo

I can't figure out if she was trying to throw shade since it was the 'break up' scene (which is stupid, they aren't together), if PR was like you called the shipping community bullshit you need to be nice or if the show runners were like its all Olicity time to promote the show.

I enjoyed Barrowman's tweet asking for a major Malcolm and Felicity scene because he loves her.

#TheEmeraldArcherRises trended WW

B9C7E70IUAAuvaB.png

Also Captain Lance

B9CyO1zCMAIAetl.png

In the US you had the following:

#OlicityReunion

B9C9WZHCUAEGMl8.png

#TheEmeraldArcherRises & The Arrow

B9C7BmvCEAEm4EO.png

Ted Grant

B9C3lb6CAAAlCzN.png

Merlyn

B9C1UZVCEAAD_5K.png

Baby Tommy & Red Streak

B9CzBWtCcAAL8qg.png

Captain Lance & Roy Is Arsenal

B9CzBNWCUAAhqrS.png

I dont think i saw anything about LL or BC.

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1
coffeeinhell asked:

First of all, I just wanna say I love the show, I think everyone is doing a great job. Thank you for spending some of the time off work to answer to some questions, I really appreciate it. Ok onto the question, as someone that really likes to write and enjoys everything that revolves around the production and managment of a series/movie, I see that for every episode there are 2 credited writers, do you, Andrew and Greg always have a word to say in every script/episode? Your best Portuguese fan

Yes, we generally double-up on writers for each script (with some exceptions) because it’s the most efficient way to generate 23 scripts a year.  Each story is vetted by myself, Greg and Andrew.  In Seasons 1 & 2, each script went through my and/or Andrew’s “typewriter.”  This year, mine. #godhelpme

princess-of-the-geeks asked:

I just wanted to say I loved this episode. And love where the series is going from here. It had some really strong character moments all around. And I also wanted to know what your icon/avatar thing is... I get both weird monkey face and type-writer.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

My avatar is my company’s logo.  Here’s a better look:

tumblr_inline_nja5p1OTy31rac8qx.jpg

Edited by tv echo