Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

For all the talk about that 0.5, it doesn't seem to have lit a fire under CW PR department's asses at all. Tonight's episode is the last of February sweeps, where's the extra PR push? 

Edited by lemotomato

Yeah he didn't shut anything down but he also said they aren't destined or pre-destined to happen and went on to describe the most impt characters to Oliver....so what is the issue here.

and if JH said something about soulmates, perhaps provide the link...hearsay doesn't work here.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I've also heard that JH said something about BC/GA being soulmates in an interview, but I don't have a link.

If she did, that would be the first serious side eye I would give her.  That was a KC thing that always annoyed/amused me.  But I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt until I see proof.  Hopefully she's smarter than that. :)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Yeah he didn't shut anything down but he also said they aren't destined or pre-destined to happen and went on to describe the most impt characters to Oliver....so what is the issue here.

and if JH said something about soulmates, perhaps provide the link...hearsay doesn't work here.

What he did shut down is the Because Comics arguement...which is the only arguement there is.

• Love 13

I don't think he tried to shut it down but he did imo. I think he tried to go for neutral and never say never but basically then went on to explain why it wouldn't happen and brought up Thea, Diggle and Felicity in a question about a GA/BC romance so at least to me its clear what he meant. I think it's the closest thing to shutting it down that I expected, it's basically what he used to say about Laurel and Oliver. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

If she did, that would be the first serious side eye I would give her.  That was a KC thing that always annoyed/amused me.  But I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt until I see proof.  Hopefully she's smarter than that. :)

She didn't say anything like that in any of the three of the interviews that have been released. Social media antics aside, she's been pretty diplomatic in her interviews. 

So are people upset with him about his answer? Or are they celebrating him and being upset with him at the same time? Sometimes I don't get what fandom truly wants.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Belinea said:

So are people upset with him about his answer? Or are they celebrating him and being upset with him at the same time? Sometimes I don't get what fandom truly wants.

I don't think people are upset, really. Mostly kind of amused. 

2 minutes ago, Belinea said:

What I'm seeing is when he gave the interview some were celebrating that he shut GA/BC down and others said he didn't shut it down..now the people that were called negative for saying he didn't shut it down are happy because he said what they were saying.

I think he gave a pretty diplomatic answer and said what he could. I liked how he talked about the importance of the original characters.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

What I'm seeing is when he gave the interview some were celebrating that he shut GA/BC down and others said he didn't shut it down..now the people that were called negative for saying he didn't shut it down are happy because he said what they were saying.

I think he gave a pretty diplomatic answer and said what he could. I liked how he talked about the importance of the original characters.

Huh? ?

Did he change his answer or something? 

1 minute ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Realistically he can't guarantee something will never happen (or conversely, will definitely happen, unless it's already been filmed and included in the final cut), because he doesn't write the show. He has some power, but clearly not enough to dictate storylines. I take everything he says with a huge grain of salt. He's a corporate guy, which is probably the best career move.

• Love 2
(edited)
40 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I've also heard that JH said something about BC/GA being soulmates in an interview, but I don't have a link.

Replying in Spoiler Discussion thread.

Edited by tv echo

Maybe he should just give interviews and not comment on them afterwards. I feel as though he never wins regardless of what he says. Also I feel like pleasing everyone must be tiring. So maybe just give your answer and leave it at that. Nothing good will come out of interacting with enraged fans whether those are OTA fans, Olicity fans or BC/GA fans.  Maybe that is just me being tired of the general fighting. And maybe it isn't even fighting but it feels angry. Or maybe I am just reading too much into their responses at this point.

• Love 3
(edited)

He's in a no-win situation because I feel like people are insecure about Olicity right now...Which, I can't blame them because of the way the show is right now. BUT, imo his EW response was entirely diplomatic - and his response to that FB post doesn't really change anything he said at all. People are just being dramatic.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Maybe he should just give interviews and not comment on them afterwards. I feel as though he never wins regardless of what he says. Also I feel like pleasing everyone must be tiring. So maybe just give your answer and leave it at that. Nothing good will come out of interacting with enraged fans whether those are OTA fans, Olicity fans or BC/GA fans.  Maybe that is just me being tired of the general fighting. And maybe it isn't even fighting but it feels angry. Or maybe I am just reading too much into their responses at this point.

Oh I'm tired of the fighting too. It gets nasty and over what? A tv show? He should say what he genuinely thinks and fans should learn to respect different POVs and interpretations.

• Love 1

This is what we were taking about in the spoilers thread the other day, the people most convinced about Oliver/Dinah act like they almost want it to happen because their more interested in being right and they continue to reach and twist things to suit that agenda. *shrug* 

• Love 11
(edited)

I don't care if people have different interpretations on interviews and spoilers. I do have a problem with people that make up stuff to suit their agenda. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cleanqueen said:

Yeah he didn't shut anything down but he also said they aren't destined or pre-destined

That could work two ways:

1) He is lowkey saying it is not happening(at least anytime soon).

2)If it happens he is implying that it will be because the show simply decided to go there(i mean he hooks up with literally every female on similar age anyway) instead of just doing it to fulfil comic canon.

He said they arent pre-destined and that it could or could not happen. IMO his reply shows there arent clear plans for a potential endgame,which is sad in the 5th season and after all these love interests Oliver has had so far. He is trying to be neutral.

He should say what he genuinely thinks

Thats the thing. He doesnt share his honest opinions at all. David at least sticks to his OTA love and even KC,despite her headcanons,sticked to her O/L soulmates or whatever opinions. Stephen is always selling the show, trying to please two different groups of people. He cant win because in his effort to please them all he ends up pissing them all. 

Edited by theOAfc
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I don't care if people have different interpretations on interviews and spoilers. I do have a problem with people that make up stuff to suit their agenda. 

Who made stuff up this time? Not trying to be ironic, I'm genuinely asking because I didn't see it (this time, I saw plenty in the past, LOL).

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

That could work two ways:

1) He is lowkey saying it is not happening(at least anytime soon).

2)If it happens he is implying that it will be because the show simply decided to go there(i mean he hooks up with literally every female on similar age anyway) instead of just doing it to fulfil comic canon.

He said they arent pre-destined and that it could or could not happen. IMO his reply shows there arent clear plans for a potential endgame,which is sad in the 5th season and after all these love interests Oliver has had so far. He is trying to be neutral.

Oliver hasn't hooked up with every female literally similar in age..I don't think I need to list the names again. Also a bunch of things could factor in to why it could happen and how it could happen. For example the show could run for another 5 years and they could have a new GA/BC in the mix and then they decide to make those two canon. 

His reply is what every showrunner gives when it comes to romantic endgames, they never state their romantic endgames whether 2 years in or 10 years in to a show. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Who made stuff up this time? Not trying to be ironic, I'm genuinely asking because I didn't see it (this time, I saw plenty in the past, LOL).

JH allegedly saying in an interview that Oliver and Dinah are soulmates. MG supposedly saying somewhere that Oliver/Susan had a sex scene in 509 that got cut. Neither of which has been substantiated by actual sources.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

LOL that soulmates stuff sounds made up. Or maybe someone read one of KC's old interviews by mistake. Haha.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Oliver hasn't hooked up with every female literally similar in age.

I was making a point. Truth is though that most of the women he interacted with in present time,who are on similar age ,ended up on his bed. 

And the pattern continued this season with Susan and i guess we'll see about BC n3 next season.

14 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

His reply is what every showrunner gives when it comes to romantic endgames, they never state their romantic endgames whether 2 years in or 10 years in to a show. 

One thing i want to say here is that MG stated after s3(i think) that they picked a horse when asked about L/O potentially getting back together,implying that they picked endgame(olicity) and ditched the O/L endgame. As a showrunner he did give the impression back then that they decided about endgame. So him and the rest of his team backtracking and suddenly being all "writing towards the chemistry" now,is funny. 

Edited by theOAfc
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Oliver hasn't hooked up with every female literally similar in age

Well, he did not hook up with all of them but he did hook up with many of them. He even managed to get with Shado on the islands even though he was supposedly still pining for Laurel.

1 minute ago, theOAfc said:

So him and the rest of his team backtracking and suddenly being all "writing towards the chemistry" now,is funny. 

I guess that's what happens if you decide to reboot the show in S5. I truly wonder what made them decide to go with the storylines of season 5.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Belinea said:

I truly wonder what made them decide to go with the storylines of season 5.

I think ratings dropping towards the end of s4 as well as bitter LL stans affecting the already unhappy general fans' opinions trully gave the impression to the EPs that certain characters and dynamics harm the show. I wont say DC isnt forcing certain masks though. I think they affect the show too. But still this 180 change and the whole "back to basics" they were selling during hiatus confirms to me that they tried hard to please and earn back a certain group of people. Of course they ended up making more let go of the show. 

(edited)
21 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

)If it happens he is implying that it will be because the show simply decided to go there(i mean he hooks up with literally every female on similar age anyway) in

Since when?

He's been with Shado, Sara, Helena, and isobel for  a hot minute. I'm not eve sure he and McKenna ever bumped fuzz. They tried but I'm not sure they actually did.

Felicity and Laurel were relationships.

That's a pretty tame roster over 5 season given how many women Oliver would have come into contact with.

Also there is context to those encounters. That I think makes a difference

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

Bottom line Stephen didnt 100% absolutely shut down GA/BC true. He threw in an obligatory "never say never".

But he said because comics is a stupid reason for Oliver/Dinah to happen, he said the show won't go there simply because comics and compared the debate or if the show should go there to those that watch the show and care about the show and those that read and care about  comics. Heavily implying that the people who want or see a GA/BC romance happening don't watch the show. 

He reiterated that DC signs off on everything they do on the show and if they were unhappy he thinks they would have heard something by now.

He then turned the conversation to how amazing Felicity Diggle and Thea are and the relationships those characters have brought into the show.

And in this same interview he talked up Olicity reuniting and mending fences.

So I feel exactly the same way I did before. That it feels like a no to me or certainly doesn't bolster the argument or theory that Oliver/Dinah will happen. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

I was making a point. Truth is though that most of the women he interacted with in present time,who are on similar age ,ended up on his bed. 

And the pattern continued this season with Susan and i guess we'll see about BC n3 next season.

One think i want to say here is that MG stated after s3(i think) that they picked a horse when asked about L/O potentially getting back together,implying that they picked endgame(olicity) and ditched the O/L endgame. As a showrunner he did give the impression back then that they decided about endgame. So him and the rest of his team backtracking and suddenly being all "writing towards the chemistry" now,is funny. 

I don't even consider Susan same age as Oliver...but anyways. Also when Marc made those comments about a horse, it wasn't in reference to whether GA/BC were happening or not. Different questions yield different answers. I believe the most definitive answer came from Wendy recently where she stated that they were done with that story in season 2. Stephen was specifically asked about a future romance with a new character, he can't give a definitive answer that he doesn't know or if he does isn't allowed to say. 

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Since when?

He's been with Shado, Sara, Helena, and isobel for  a hot minute. I'm not eve sure he and McKenna ever bumped fuzz. They tried but I'm not sure they actually did.

That's a pretty tame roster over 5 seasons.

He's been with 3 women over the last 3 years... Yeah, that's super tame.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Since when?

That's a pretty tame roster over 5 season given how many women Oliver would have come into contact with.

Also there is context to those encounters. That I think makes a difference

He slept with McKenna in the Helena returns episode. He was with McKenna when Helena attacked Felicity.

Yeah it's not like Oliver is banging everything that crosses his path.

Seems like folks are gonna interpret things how they want. I just wish if they were going to do GA/BC they wouldn't. No good way to make it happen nowthat isn't forced and inorganic.

• Love 3

I thought that was a very good interview especially if you consider the first part where he talks more about Olicity than I thought he would. 

If he is a corporate man as everyone says he is I'd again take that as a good sign that he's been allowed to give such a casual unenthusiastic response to BC/GA. Wouldn't we all freak out more if he said "BC and GA are epic and I think it's unlikely we can make a show and not explore that epic romance"

I get the impression some fans want a "No BC and GA will NEVER happen I'd rather gauge my eyes out" from him which is a very unrealistic expectation. haha even if he did say that I can see people counteracting with "Steve has no power it'll happen if MG deems it so"

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

He slept with McKenna in the Helena returns episode. He was with McKenna when Helena attacked Felicity.

AHHH. I thought they were just on a date. I don't remember the sexy times but hey good for him. I always liked  McKenna. I think that's why I m not thrilled with Tinah. She reminds me of McKenna but not in a good way.

7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

AHHH. I thought they were just on a date. I don't remember the sexy times but hey good for him. I always liked  McKenna. I think that's why I m not thrilled with Tinah. She reminds me of McKenna but not in a good way.

McKenna had some charm to her and I actually didn't mind her. Back then I thought she was certainly a better option than both Laurel and Helena but Dinah lacks the charm that McKenna had. I can deal with Dinah around Diggle but she just doesnt do it for me around other people. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Im still waiting for that Dinah/oliver scene where she's training and there is so much sexual tension in the room and there is an almost kiss about to happen...damn it.

I'm waiting for the scene where Oliver, Curtis, and Wild Dog have burgers with Tinah at Big Belly.

• Love 3

I channel flipped to Sleepy Hollow last week and for a minute I thought it was JH there rather than Janina G.

In season 1, Oliver slept with Laurel, Helena, and McKenna. In season 2, he slept with Isabel, Sara and Shado in the flashbacks.  That's quite a list, and all of them except for Isabel were attempts at relationships.  They stopped his sleeping around in s3 when SA pushed to end it and the show lighted on Felicity but Oliver's been looking for love since he was on the island and Susan just seems more of the same.

6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I'm waiting for the scene where Oliver, Curtis, and Wild Dog have burgers with Tinah at Big Belly.

They got very close to it in the two burger scenes in Hub City.  They just  hadn't talked Tinah into it yet.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

In season 1, Oliver slept with Laurel, Helena, and McKenna. In season 2, he slept with Isabel, Sara and Shado in the flashbacks.  That's quite a list, and all of them except for Isabel were attempts at relationships.  They stopped his sleeping around in s3 when SA pushed to end it and the show lighted on Felicity but Oliver's been looking for love since he was on the island and Susan just seems more of the same.

See, I guess this is just a matter of perspective.  To me, 7 (?)women over 5 seasons, one in his distant past on the island from Hell isn't that much. I mean given the sheer number of women that Oliver meets in his day to day life with rescuing people, running a nightclub with Tommy and all that time in Hong Kong, and now as Mayor...that's a pretty small list IMO.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

See, I guess this is just a matter of perspective.  To me, 7 (?)women over 5 seasons, one in his distant past on the island from Hell isn't that much. I mean given the sheer number of women that Oliver meets in his day to day life with rescuing people, running a nightclub with Tommy and all that time in Hong Kong, and now as Mayor...that's a pretty small list IMO.

So in the entire history of the show there is 10 years. So in a decade Oliver has had 3 serious or semi serious relationships (Laurel, Helena, Sara) one deeply serious relationship and engagement (Felicity) two casual dating relationships (McKenna Susan) and two one night stand/friends with benefits relationship (Isobel Shado). In ten years.

There was a year between Laurel and Shado. 4 years between Shado and Helena. 6 months between Helena and McKenna. Around 6-8 months between McKenna and Isobel. 5-6 months between Isobel and Sara a year and a half between Sara and Felicity. And roughly or close to a year between Felicity and Susan.

To me that's more then I've had in a decade but it's not out of the ordinary either. I don't think Oliver has reached man whore status yet.

• Love 5

It was actually since S3 that all of the regulars got invited to SDCC. In S2 MB, PB, ST and WH were not invited. MB attended SDCC on his own dime and did some autos but wasn't at the panel.

Unless he means after the S2 SDCC event? In which case I guess he's right.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Oh..I thought you were talking about SA's interview..

I certainly hope no one is accusing me of having made something up, because I did no such thing. It was on my TL, and I reported what I saw. I did not swear to its veracity.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2