Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Keep digging yourself deeper there, Ben.  These people never learn.

TV shows have been encouraging fan theories for decades, with the use of cliffhangers and clue-strewn seasons of mythology-driven shows. Remember "Who Shot JR?"  Remember The X-Files and Lost?  Producers/networks actively stoke the fires of fan buzz and speculation. So don't complain now if it sometimes backfires.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 14

But before we only talked over the water cooler (is that still a thing?)

Now with social media, we can actually talk back to them.  That's gotta sting when we don't love it, worse when we point out the flaws.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SmoaknArrow said:

If TV shows, like Arrow, didn't want fan theories, season 1 wouldn't have hinged on "What is the Undertaking?" Season 4 wouldn't have used the "Who's in the grave?" hook for an entire season, and Season 5 wouldn't be "Who is under the Prometheus hood?" 

If your viewers aren't curious and spinning guesses over the question hooks you've littered through your plots, they're not interested or engaged, and that's a stone's throw from apathy. 

They would have to be self aware to realize that is what they have been doing for the past 4 season, 5 if we include this season's arch. 

Edited by TwistedandBored
  • Love 2

LMAO questions about what? We don't even know the dude. He's had like 3 scenes. Haha. I can't.

Also, are the female actors ever going to be interviewed again or nah?

Edited by Guest

It's both laughable and insulting. The actor who plays Mayo Bread gets interviewed about his 5 mins of screen time but EBR and WH have yet to say a word about their arcs. Probably because they don't have any. LOL.

1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

It's both laughable and insulting. The actor who plays Mayo Bread gets interviewed about his 5 mins of screen time but EBR and WH have yet to say a word about their arcs. Probably because they don't have any. LOL.

To be fair - is this something that would've been arranged by Suzanne Gomez for "official" publicity, or a situation where he's easily accessible, someone reached out and asked him for an interview for their blog, and he got the okay to do it? 

I'm at the point with CW PR where I believe this could very well be their doing, but it's so low-level and embarrassing I don't want it to be their doing, haha. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

To be fair - is this something that would've been arranged by Suzanne Gomez for "official" publicity, or a situation where he's easily accessible, someone reached out and asked him for an interview for their blog, and he got the okay to do it? 

I'm at the point with CW PR where I believe this could very well be their doing, but it's so low-level and embarrassing I don't want it to be their doing, haha. 

I guess we'll know if we see other people tweeting for Qs/other interviews with him go up soon? 

Just now, insomniadreams88 said:

I guess we'll know if we see other people tweeting for Qs/other interviews with him go up soon? 

I would think if this is "official" PR that Suzanne Gomez set up, he'd have interviews with more than just this one blog. Surely a legit entertainment news outlet would be included in there somewhere. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

It's probably not official but what entertainment site would reach out to the actor who plays Mayo Bread? Like, what was their thought process when they wondered who they could interview? "Oh, I know. Let's ask that pointless guy who has had 3 scenes! Everyone wants to know more about that guy!" No offense to Tyler Ritter but seriously, this is embarrassing. 

But if it is official, I can only assume this means he'll be getting more screen time and relevance to the plot soon. Yikes.

10 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

It's probably not official but what entertainment site would reach out to the actor who plays Mayo Bread?

I think taking a look at their "TV Interviews" page might give you some more insight into this. 

Edited by apinknightmare
21 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think taking a look at their "TV Interviews" page might give you some more insight into this. 

Haha, good point. 

The way Social Media is going, I half expect the Arrow Writers to challenge the Fandom to a duel.

@dtissagirl's gif on the other page referenced the Hamilton song, "Your Obedient Servant". So borrowing the great words of Lin-Manuel & A. Ham

Dear Arrow Writers,

"I am not the reason no one trusts you

No one knows what you believe

I will not equivocate on my opinion

I have always worn it on my sleeve...

I have the honor to be your obedient servant..."

A. Fan

So pistols at dawn?

• Love 16

Wow, so I started following threads from people tweeting BS and saw this quote from DR.

Seriously, it all just gives me a massive headache at this point.  It really does come down to who has a penis, right?  Sara Diggle was also "cool, a little ham," except that praise goes to the boy.  Instead, Sara gets "cute, but."

DR has always been likable, and I thought he was smarter than this asinine doubling-down on such fucking overt misogyny.  Wrong again.

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 6.23.54 PM.png

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wow, that's just fucking depressing. Although, I am rather sensitive at the moment

Same. On both fronts.

It just becomes clearer and clearer that they don't get it and the fact that it was from DR just somehow made it worse to me.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Same. On both fronts.

It just becomes clearer and clearer that they don't get it and the fact that it was from DR just somehow made it worse to me.

This was worse for me.  I don't care for a lot of their views but, I like DR and this was very disappointing. 

• Love 11

I don't get how DR doesn't get why people would be upset. In my opinion, the Flarrowverse already has its issues with female characters. They seem to have always favoured the men over the women in some capacity. So DR being so nonchalant about Sara now being John? Yeah, that's a pretty big problem here. Why wouldn't people be upset about baby Sara, who we've known for two seasons now, being a boy? 

DR saying it is definitely worse for me. He'll have to lose points for me on this one. 

• Love 18

Ahhhh, man. David. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! .  

Dude, you were the one who seemed to get it. More than anyone.  But now you're just gonna blow it off? Could he have been being incredibly sarcastic and it didn't come across in print?? Please...MAYBE? Pretty please?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Ahhhh, man. David. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! .  

Dude, you were the one who seemed to get it. More than anyone.  Bu ease...MAYBE? Pretty please?

Maybe he's more thinking about it from just the actor perspective.  We lost original Sara cause her family moved and I think he only worked with her replacement once.  So he wasn't attached to the new kid so much.  I don't think he's thinking about it from a character standpoint.

• Love 1

I think David, being a parent in real life, makes it even more surprising and disappointing to me to hear that he is ok with it.  Having a kid of his own, he should know that children aren't interchangeable in any universe.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Sorry if I've offended anyone but I had to get that off my chest. 

It's what I tweeted to him in response to one of his "devastated that he won" tweets, that it's no surprise women are marginalized in real life when that's what he's doing on the show.  I don't have any hope that it got through though.

• Love 8

Is it a new thing that the writers now break down every episode on twitter to explain what they want to achieve? Did they do that last year and I missed it? 

Also what is the thesis statement? Maybe I was just so shell-shocked by real life happenings that I really couldn't pay any attention to that kind of stuff..

Edited by Belinea

I don't remember it for every episode. But I think it's their new condescending way of interacting with the audience. It's sad because the work should speak for itself.

Despite the writers insistence,  the audience is able to watch the show on its own. We understand the story you're writing. Most of the time it's just not good. I don't need a cliffnotes version to help me understand that your story is becoming repetitive and pedestrian. That's why they don't sell cliffnotes to nursery tales. At least Flash embraces its Run Flash Run plot engine.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Belinea said:

Is it a new thing that the writers now break down every episode on twitter to explain what they want to achieve? Did they do that last year and I missed it? 

Also what is the thesis statement? Maybe I was just so shell-shocked by real life happenings that I really couldn't pay any attention to that kind of stuff..

4 hours ago, Belinea said:

He started doing that about 2 weeks ago. It started as part of him live tweeting an episode. He broke down the episode writing process

29 minutes ago, kismet said:

I don't remember it for every episode. But I think it's their new condescending way of interacting with the audience. It's sad because the work should speak for itself.

Despite the writers insistence,  the audience is able to watch the show on its own. We understand the story you're writing. Most of the time it's just not good. I don't need a cliffnotes version to help me understand that your story is becoming repetitive and pedestrian. That's why they don't sell cliffnotes to nursery tales. At least Flash embraces its Run Flash Run plot engine.

Some fandoms refer to it as 'Twitter Canon'.

Its reminding me of the fall of TVD. The EP's/writers dismissed falling ratings as 'sport/holiday/people watching online', then dismissed critique about plot holes, poor representation of female characters as 'entitled shippers'. Then came twitter canon, explaining the show on twitter because the writing on the show was telling not showing. Sounding familiar?

• Love 4

Yay! Kevin Tanchaeron is back! And that would make 11/23 episodes, which is at least much better than 5a was leading up with. Although, from a quick glance, a few of these people are still either repeats of promoted from within (which I don't mind as much since I do like Wendey Stanzler and Michael Schultz), fingers crossed the promoted people do fine in their first episodes out, snd hopefully the new people do great as well. 

Side note, I am happy to see Jesse Warn come back for the finale as well.

• Love 3

wasn't reading anything into the red until you said that, sir.  It's a common colour for emphasis.   

I get that he's making a joke,  but too soon and not funny. Though,  I'm very glad to see women and non Christian directors.   And Kevin because he's a great director. 

• Love 3