Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

On September 3, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Midnight Lullaby said:

I think Laurel being killed off is about the writers being unable to find her a place on the show. And from the beginning, not because of Felicity becoming the LI. They outright said they struggled to find her something to do in the first two seasons, then they rushed through her "hero journey" and made her a background character in season 4. They wanted to kill a character that was going to have a big impact on the others and hopefully the viewers and decided she was expendable. If they found her a place on the show that only she could have she would still be alive but she was just another fighter on the field with no particular skills, no story of her own and the only irreplaceable connection to another character was the one with her father, but Sara came back to life so eventually there's her if they need a father-daughter scene. 

IMO instead of focusing of her as a mask that was nothing unique they could have made her relevant with her day job that could have been interesting. If I were the actress in fact I would have tried to push for that, not for being the girl who pined for a guy that was an ass to her and in love with someone else.

Laurel was a failed character in large part due to KC's limited acting ability and her lack of chemistry with the entire cast. There is nothing they could have done to salvage Laurel after casting KC IMO.

• Love 17

JB's Sep. 3 panel and AK's Sep. 2 panel at Fan Expo Canada (in Toronto) - I haven't watched the entire videos...

John Barrowman Q&A Fan Expo 2016
Published on Sep 4, 2016, by Chuck Kahn

Alex Kingston - Toronto Fan Expo 2016 - Complete Panel
Published on Sep 3, 2016, by FTWvsWTF

I only remember one between the two of them, but she might be including the one with Diggle and Thea in 4x17. 

Someone asked her (paraphrase) : As a Felicity fan it was hard on social after Laurels death, how did you deal with the nasty tweets to her and your costars? 

I wonder what KCs response was. 

Ciara said she ships Barry and Felicity on The Flash and Oliver with Laurel or Sara on Arrow.

I read that and I actually got a little angry. I'm never going to understand anyone shipping Oliver and Laurel, that just isn't going to happen. But I would have preferred she just left it with Laurel instead of adding HER SISTER with an or. Or Felicity or Helena or McKenna or Iris would have been more acceptable than OR SARA. All I hear is the mentality that as long as Oliver is giving it to a Canary, it's romantic. The sisters are just interchangeable you know. so gross. 

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, Chaser said:

But I would have preferred she just left it with Laurel instead of adding HER SISTER with an or. Or Felicity or Helena or McKenna or Iris would have been more acceptable than OR SARA.

I mean, it's not even an OR, it's JUST SARA since Laurel IS DEAD, and I'm pretty sure Oliver's not into necrophilia.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

The only problem I have with it is Felicity being paired up with walking, talking bad idea factory and overall selfish bag of crap Barry, but hey...to each their own!

I think she said Barry because Barry is supposed to be the golden child of the Flarrowverse and is a "lighter" character like Felicity started out as.  I don't think she probably cares all that much but chose two characters who seem alike but really aren't.  And/or she spoiled something unintentionally :)

21 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I know there was speculation if Tvline would advertise EBR on Whose Line, apparently they are

http://tvline.com/2016/09/03/emily-bett-rickards-whose-line-is-it-anyway-the-cw/

I can't speak for anyone else but I was just interested to see if the Arrow FB and twitter would advertise EBR, but this is good to know, so thanks.

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

Ciara said she ships Barry and Felicity on The Flash and Oliver with Laurel or Sara on Arrow.

I read that and I actually got a little angry. I'm never going to understand anyone shipping Oliver and Laurel, that just isn't going to happen. But I would have preferred she just left it with Laurel instead of adding HER SISTER with an or. Or Felicity or Helena or McKenna or Iris would have been more acceptable than OR SARA. All I hear is the mentality that as long as Oliver is giving it to a Canary, it's romantic. The sisters are just interchangeable you know. so gross. 

I don't care who anyone ships (I mean, EBR likes Raylicity *vomits* I don't agree but whatever) but it's interesting that Laurel and Sara are interchangeable to her. And to Oliver too, clearly. Such romance! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm kinda scratching my head over that answer, too, but mostly because Felicity is not even ON The Flash. She's on Arrow. I'm getting the impression Ciara Renee doesn't really know much about the other shows. Oh well ... 

Which is weird since she's been on both other shows.  On The Flash more than on Arrow but still, if she doesn't know who is who, she hasn't been reading the scripts they gave her.

Possibly the worst of all possible answers.

I don't want to speak for Ciara Renee, exactly, but in her defense, in the episodes she was on/scripts she read:

1. Over on Flash, the early Barry/Iris season two moments (and there were some) didn't happen during the episodes that Ciara Renee was on. Barry was with Patty, with everyone aware that Shantel VanSanten was only there for 10 episodes unless the character proved popular enough to bring back. On at least one of those episodes ("Legends of Today,") Barry spent more time talking to Felicity than Patty or Iris, and he and Felicity had a pretty violent (and hilarious) hug.  On another episode, "Gorilla Warfare," Barry was dating Patty while lying to her, and also rushed off to rescue Caitlin, who was romantically interested in Jay at that point. I can understand thinking that Felicity was the best option for Barry at that point - and that's a Flash problem, not a Ciara Renee problem.

2. Over on Arrow, Oliver found out he had a secret kid and then decided to lie to Felicity about said kid, and if I for one am still willing to blame that entire mess on Samantha and "OMG WE MUST BREAK UP OUR POWER COUPLE FOR DRAMAZ AND FUTURE RATINGS," I can see that others would argue that lying about your secret kid is not exactly a sign of a healthy relationship. 

3. Over on LoT, Laurel was completely supportive of Sara, showing that the two of them were over any previous problems. Sara was later able to convince Grumpy Old Oliver to come out and fight again, and they hugged, in a nice shippy moment if you ship the two of them.

So yeah, assuming that, like most working actors, Ciara Renee watched the previous episodes focused on other aspects besides who is/will hook up with who (how scenes are blocked, camera movements), and only read the scripts for the episodes she was in, I can definitely understand why she'd support Barry/Felicity, and Oliver/Sara and even Oliver/Laurel, based solely on what she saw on the episodes she was in.

• Love 8

You make good points.

Except

46 minutes ago, quarks said:

2. Over on Arrow, Oliver found out he had a secret kid and then decided to lie to Felicity about said kid, and if I for one am still willing to blame that entire mess on Samantha and "OMG WE MUST BREAK UP OUR POWER COUPLE FOR DRAMAZ AND FUTURE RATINGS," I can see that others would argue that lying about your secret kid is not exactly a sign of a healthy relationship.

Oliver lied to Felicity precisely because he didn't want to lose her or their relationship.  It's pretty hard to miss that.

13 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Oliver lied to Felicity precisely because he didn't want to lose her or their relationship.  It's pretty hard to miss that.

I recall him lying to her because Samantha told him he had to or he couldn't see his kid, and I recall him justifying it by saying he was protecting William, but I don't recall him ever being worried that Felicity would leave him. That seems like fanon to me based on Oliver thinking Felicity broke up with him because of William during the crossover, but maybe I'm wrong and I blocked it. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I recall him lying to her because Samantha told him he had to or he couldn't see his kid, and I recall him justifying it by saying he was protecting William, but I don't recall him ever being worried that Felicity would leave him. That seems like fanon to me based on Oliver thinking Felicity broke up with him because of William during the crossover, but maybe I'm wrong and I blocked it. 

I think it was all of those things? He lied because he had to but Barry also told him that Felicity broke up with him and that did seem to be another reason why he found it easy to lie. Unless I'm not remembering correctly. I have only seen that episode once because it was garbage.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I think it was all of those things? He lied because he had to but Barry also told him that Felicity broke up with him and that did seem to be another reason why he found it easy to lie. Unless I'm not remembering correctly. I have only seen that episode once because it was garbage.

I just don't recall Oliver ever stating being afraid of losing Felicity as a reason. And I'm not sure it was ever even implied that it was because Oliver and Samantha's conversation picked up in the 2nd timeline with him agreeing not to tell anyone, "even Felicity," which indicates that he asked if he could tell her in the 2nd timeline knowing that she broke up with him in the first. So...still seems to me like his only motivation was because Samantha told him he couldn't tell anyone. And later, because he had to "protect" William, which...LOL. 

• Love 2

Ultimately he lied because he is an idiot. 

Really, though, the fact that she might have left  him never factored in when the truth eventually came out - he never told her what he knew about the other timeline and what Barry told him. Who knows if they'll ever touch upon that.

Edit: or what @apinknightmare said :) 

Edited by looptab
  • Love 4

The Arts Guild interview with KC at Fan Expo Canada this past Sunday (Sep. 4) - I transcribed only one segment, there's more...

Katie Cassidy talks ‘Arrow’, Laurel Lance, and the DC TV Universe at Fan Expo 2016
ADNAN M.SEPTEMBER 6, 2016
http://www.theartsguild.com/2016/09/06/katie-cassidy-arrow-laurel-lance-fan-expo-2016/

-- KC: "In this universe, anything can happen. Yes, at the end of season 4, we say good-bye to Laurel, which was obviously really hard for me to do, but at the same point, I was looking at it from a creative aspect - I understand, because it basically gives the producers and writers, you know, this platform to jump off of for all the other characters - how they're going to react to Laurel being dead. And killing off a main character is a good place to go for story, for, you know, to get everybody else's reaction to that actual death. Um, as far as if we see her again? I hope so, uh, and I certainly think that there's a way to make that happen - whether it be through flashbacks or, you know, on Legends, there's time travel and then I play Laurel's, uh, doppelganger on Flash as the Black Siren. And this is the best group of people I have ever worked with in all three shows. And, uh,

I am going to be on all three shows this next coming season, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

Uh, I just - I love it there. I love our crew, I love our cast, they're like family to me. And as sad as it is again that I, you know, sorta had to say goodbye to Laurel, I don't think that means - I think, again, physically saying goodbye, as opposed to, I think, emotionally. She's still going to be carried on with the show - live in the show and move the show, whether I'm there or not. Um, I certainly hope I'm there. But we'll see - it was a blast. And I am not ready to [unintelligible word] move on yet."

Edited by tv echo
57 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I just don't recall Oliver ever stating being afraid of losing Felicity as a reason. And I'm not sure it was ever even implied that it was because Oliver and Samantha's conversation picked up in the 2nd timeline with him agreeing not to tell anyone, "even Felicity," which indicates that he asked if he could tell her in the 2nd timeline knowing that she broke up with him in the first. So...still seems to me like his only motivation was because Samantha told him he couldn't tell anyone. And later, because he had to "protect" William, which...LOL. 

Haha, my brain hurts. I really don't know. I thought it was implied tbh but you could be right too. I don't want to rewatch the episode to find out though. LOL.