Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Lily-n11 said:

I saw this today. So I fully agree with you.

Ha, I said that WAY back that is why Berlanti did Arrow. He had to have a success to push the Flash. He used Arrow/aka Batman Lite and then didn't care about it anymore. Man, there is not enough syrup for my stack o bittercakes.

And truly, if I were Stephen that would bug the crap out of me. But I'm not him and he's making money but still on some level, that's gotta sting.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

My concern is that instead of the other shows being guests at Arrow's 100th episode "party", they're going to be given the spotlight instead. Considering how the network and Greg Berlanti, et al have treated Arrow, this is not an unfounded fear.

I think that is exactly what is going to happen. Hell, Oliver has been a guest in his own story for 2 seasons...kind of since Barry showed up.... I'm not sayin' ..I'm just sayin' ...

• Love 2

Think of it this way; two years from now, The Flash can look forward to having their one hundredth episode hijacked by a crossover! Honestly the CW will probably move the crossover to episode seven that year so The Flash can be celebrated properly. Should be interesting to see how Arrow is promoted, actually. The Vampire Diaries got a nice bit of promo when they hit one hundred from what I remember, but that was also the CW's biggest hit for about four years, so who knows?

Edited by manbearpig

I find the Arrow cast frustrating because they don't always seem to play the promotion game, especially when it comes to social media:  Stephen has his flounces, Emily posts in-jokes and sock pictures with her friends before promoting articles about herself or Arrow, David's got shit to do and posts on as needed basis, and Willa is off somewhere being artistic.  I get the sense they are all super-professional and hard working on set, but compared to the Flash, Supergirl, and LoT crew they seem to be terrible at promotion and social media.  Therefore, I wondered if perhaps they were at the dinner but didn't take pictures because that is completely something they would do.  But then I remembered Echo.  There's no chance he would skip--again, not sure about the rest of them--and he would have pictures.  And that is the reason I think they either didn't invite the Arrow cast to that dinner, or scheduled it at a time that none could come. Which is rude.

I've ranted twice about the 100th episode being the crossover, especially when they've framed it as a Supergirl heavy event, and will refrain from doing it again, but I will take a mean pleasure if Arrow stays their number two show after all the Supergirl and LoT hype.  It's nice to know the depth of my pettiness.

• Love 15

The CW made a big deal with SPN's 200th episode but I 'm still pissed about it messing with a SL that had so much potential, like that episode didn't HAVE to be he 200th. My point is that  I'm worried that whatever happens in the 100th for Arrow is going to be more influenced by other shows than by Arrow itself...and that pisses me off to no end.

Green Arrow might not have been SA's favorite but Stephen has been the heart and soul of this show. He busted his ass to make it good. He was the face of the franchise until...he wasn't. I dunno maybe we'll find out one day that SA knew the Flash was the golden child all along and he's cool with it. But right now, that is definitely not the impression I have.

• Love 7

Fat Man on Batman Podcast 103: Passion of the Kreisberg - Part 2 of 2-part interview (Dec. 16, 2015)
https://soundcloud.com/fatmanonbatman/103-passion-of-the-kreisberg

Kevin Smith asked how The Flash happened.  
AK:
"Greg and I were working on the - It was right near Christmas, and Greg and I were working on an episode. And he's just being really quiet, and I'm like, 'What are you thinking about?' And he said, 'The whole reason I've done this is to do The Flash.'"  
KS: "Really, he's the big fan?"  
AK (laughing): "Huge. I mean, like, to me, my seminal comic is when Tara died in Teen Titans... you know, in The Judas Contract.  For him, it was when Barry died in Crisis... That was his - He said it was the first time he ever cried at a comic book. He also said it was like -  It was the first time he realized that comic books were basically just soap operas for boys. And, um, it was the first time - again, like, we're so used to people dying and coming back to life now, but at the time it was like he really gave his life for everybody."  
KS: "And they kept  it that way for a long time."  
AK: "They kept it that way for 20 years. And he was the one who really, like, you wouldn't have expected it to be him. You know, again, he was, you know, Barry Allen, The Flash." 
KS: "He just runs fast."  
AK: "He just runs fast. But that - he was the one who did it. Um, you know, it really spoke to Greg. And - so he was like, 'I've - I -' - you know, so for all of our talk, every interview, like, 'there'll never be superpowers on Arrow, it's just not that kind of show,' Greg is like secretly plotting... I mean, episode 9 of Season 1 hadn't even aired yet, and he said, 'Here's what we're going to do.' Because the show was a hit at that point. He's like, 'Next year, in episodes 8 and 9, we're going to introduce Barry Allen as the scientist. At the end of 9, he's going to be hit by lightning. Then we're going to do a Flash pilot. And in year 3 of Arrow, there'll be Arrow and Flash on at the same time.'"  
KS: "He called it. He's Nostradamus."  
AK: "He said all of that... And he's like, 'And we're going to write it together.' Okay!  And again, it was like, you know, how can this keep getting any better?" 

Also, FYI:

-- SA: "Ideally, the 100th episode would not be a crossover episode, it'd be a very very Arrow-centric episode. But at the same time, it is - so that's, you know, that's a moot point.  Um, I really hope that we see someone in the 100th episode that we haven't seen in awhile. That  would be my hope... Oh yeah, I have people in mind." (SDCC, Jul. 23, 2016: RealistikkVideos video of press roundtable interview with SA, page 41 of Spoilers thread)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

And that is the reason I think they either didn't invite the Arrow cast to that dinner, or scheduled it at a time that none could come. Which is rude.

Why do people think something nefarious is going on? The cast of all 4 shows together is huge. A lot of the Legends cast weren't there either. Maybe the other half are going out next weekend, or whenever scheduling permits.

Edited by Trini
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

What do people mean by Green Arrow not being SA favorite? Did I miss something?

No, that was me misreading that SA would be somehow offended that The Flash was GB's fave (which why would SA care - GA isn't his favorite superhero either). What catrox was saying was that SA would possibly be upset that GA was produced as a springboard to making The Flash.

So, my fault.

• Love 1

For what it's worth, one of the paparazzi guys said it seemed to be a SG & TF dinner. I don't think it was meant to be a huge crossover celebration. I'm more inclined to think CL was a tagalong to the party.

Why do people think something nefarious is going on? The cast of all 4 shows together is huge. A lot of the Legends cast weren't there either. Maybe the other half are going out next weekend, or whenever scheduling permits.

Well its not happening in Vancouver. Since EPs rarely show up there and they have the TCAs scheduled tomorrow. They could have invited just the leads of all shows. This just makes it look messy, when certain guest bring their spouses but there isnt a single cast member of the show present that started it all.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Chaser said:

For what it's worth, one of the paparazzi guys said it seemed to be a SG & TF dinner. I don't think it was meant to be a huge crossover celebration. I'm more inclined to think CL was a tagalong to the party.

That's what I was thinking. CL may have been hanging out with CP and they invited her along. 

10 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Caity seems to be everywhere lately.

11 minutes ago, Trini said:

I don't think they were being vindictive.  I think they were being inconsiderate. Which is still rude, since Arrow is 25 percent of their shows and the fact that they scheduled it at a day/time when none of that cast could come was thoughtless, a consistent fault they have when it comes to Arrow. I do scheduling for my day job, and while we'll go ahead with a meeting even if everyone can't attend, if key people can't make it we find a new date and time. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I don't think they were being vindictive.  I think they were being inconsiderate. Which is still rude, since Arrow is 25 percent of their shows and the fact that they scheduled it at a day/time when none of that cast could come was thoughtless, a consistent fault they have when it comes to Arrow. I do scheduling for my day job, and while we'll go ahead with a meeting even if everyone can't attend, if key people can't make it we find a new date and time. 

I don't think it was about scheduling. I think the Arrow and LOT's casts weren't invited at all. It looks to me like it was a dinner for The Flash and Supergirl cast crew. I don't know why it was just them. Maybe The Flash cast wanted to invite Supergirl to the network with a dinner? Who knows.

CL may not have even been invited, she could have crashed or CP took her.

• Love 1
Just now, Chaser said:

I don't think it was about scheduling. I think the Arrow and LOT's casts weren't invited at all. It looks to me like it was a dinner for The Flash and Supergirl cast crew. I don't know why it was just them. Maybe The Flash cast wanted to invite Supergirl to the network with a dinner? Who knows.

CL may not have even been invited, she could have crashed or CP took her.

If that's true, I'd be pleasantly surprised.  Perhaps they are doing the Kreisberg dinner and the Guggenheim dinner.  I guess we'll see if pictures from another dinner come up.

1 minute ago, thegirlsleuth said:

If that's true, I'd be pleasantly surprised.  Perhaps they are doing the Kreisberg dinner and the Guggenheim dinner.  I guess we'll see if pictures from another dinner come up.

Unlikely, as @Velocity23 pointed out, since the EPs are all supposed to be in LA tomorrow for the TCA event.

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

AK (laughing): "Huge. I mean, like, to me, my seminal comic is when Tara died in Teen Titans... you know, in The Judas Contract.  For him, it was when Barry died in Crisis... That was his - He said it was the first time he ever cried at a comic book. He also said it was like -  It was the first time he realized that comic books were basically just soap operas for boys.

This, folks, is why I think The Flash is the weakest of the four shows, because it's a soap opera for boys.  Run, Barry, run.  And cry about your lost parents.  But don't have a girlfriend, or even have a story about a girl because girls are dumb and have cooties.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 11

Arrow is also a soap. But you kind of have to have some of those elements in there for a serialized TV show.

Guggenheim agrees:

So it’s that complexity. one of the things that is part of the DNA of the show is the emotional complexity, the emotional resonance of the relationships between the characters. It’ll start off with Oliver relating to Thea, and Oliver relating to Moira, etc., but as the show evolves and grows in the series, we’ll start putting other characters together. Like in episode 3, Moira and Thea have their own story. So watching the characters combine and interact with each other in ways that independent of Oliver, I think, is just as interesting as when Oliver is involved. Part of the show is a soap opera. Part of the show is a character drama. And that’s, I think, one of the very importants of the show. It’s not just Oliver beating up bad guys every week.”

Edited by Trini

Meh. I'd much rather watch a soap that dedicates a good portion of its time on female characters than a soap opera that doesn't. 

If I were talking to Candice I'd tell her that the show doesn't deserve her. Such wasted potential. Hope she moves onto greener pasteurs after The Flash, whenever that may be. 

• Love 9

Re: All the crossover talk. Personally I'd find a 100 episode crossover great if it was a crossover focused on Arrow and the other shows were involved in order to honour/celebrate Arrow and its characters. That would be more exciting than a Arrow-only 100th episode and a fitting tribute to everything the show has done.

But It being used as a crossover celebrating the other shows and Arrow propping them is a pretty pathetic celebration given its Arrows big landmark not anyone else's. Though hey it is honouring Arrow's role as general doormat/spring board of the DCTV universe. At least they're consistent. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 13

Both Arrow and The Flash are first of all CW dramas, as Smallville was. They all have their cheesy moments then it's up to everyone to choose which cheesy show they like the most or if they like them all.

My problem with the Flash and the reason I decided to drop it isn't the 'soapy' moments but that I don't feel women have a voice at all and only male characters matter. Arrow has its problems with female characters and with other stuff as well but in my opinion it's not as bad in that aspect.

• Love 4

I loved Flash S1 for real, but then S2 turned out to be a soap from men about men for men, and it alienated me completely. Arrow fumbles, and uses soap elements disastrously sometimes, but it actually became less and less penis-centric as seasons passed, so as a viewer I don't feel excluded as Flash S2 made me feel.

• Love 7

That's my issue with the Flash as well it's very male centered or penis-centric (that's the better term for it). When anything important happens the only two women are always suspiciously absent. I don't even know what purpose Caitlin serves anymore. I guess to fill the two women per show quota. Or if they need an extra love interest for any of the men. Watching a show with a bunch of men patting each other on the back while the women are just props for them is not for me. 

• Love 4

I've made my peace re: Arrow's forgotten status in the CW/Berlanti-verse so I refuse to let that get to me anymore, but I am more than a little bitter that they won't even allow Arrow's 100th episode to be about Arrow.  Why couldn't they have made the crossovers happen in the 7th episode this year?  Or even the MSF 9th episodes?  It really bugs.

• Love 12

I'm hoping that since they have plenty of time to plan, they will just end up down one filler episode, and will scramble to wrap everything up in the last 2-3 episodes as usual. Honestly, I'd be fine with the show going down to 18 episodes, as long as they had enough advance knowledge to plan out their arcs for the season. There are easily 5+ useless episodes every season and I think that causes some annoying back-and-forth character development and plot cul-de-sacs, because they aren't quite ready to get to the fireworks factory, but need something to happen in every episode. (I mean, they could also learn how to spread plot out to more than just three or four episodes, but you know, they probably won't.)

• Love 10
21 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I guess this goes here since it's BTS- will cutting the season by one ep mean one less mid-season filler episode, or the same midseason filler but an even more hurried wrap up? ?

They decided to cut down the season to 22 episodes? Does this include all DC shows save LoT which has a lower episode order? I imagine it's in no small amount because of the countless crossovers which stretches the actors thin and makes logistics a nightmare.

13 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I guess now we know why Arrow was not invited. 

We do? Is it that Flash/Supergirl musical crossover thing I saw on Twitter? I've got to say, I am all for it, let them play around and have Arrow be Arrow.

They decided to cut down the season to 22 episodes? Does this include all DC shows save LoT which has a lower episode order? I imagine it's in no small amount because of the countless crossovers which stretches the actors thin and makes logistics a nightmare.

If the quote was correct and, I still question it. It has nothing to do with The Crossover or DC/WB because they "cut" Supernatural down to 22 episodes as well. So it would be a network scheduling decison, same as increasing their shows from 22 to 23 several years back was to cut down on repeats (costs low ratings etc).

• Love 2

So we think that dinner was to celebrate the Flash/Supergirl musical ep? Melissa Benoist is not in that group picture. They had a separate pic with her, CL and CV. So they either showed up later or were sitting at different table. 

Edited by Sakura12
3 hours ago, bijoux said:

We do? Is it that Flash/Supergirl musical crossover thing I saw on Twitter? I've got to say, I am all for it, let them play around and have Arrow be Arrow.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, I have never wanted a singing crossover to happen more than I do right now. I have so many different plans for this one. I just hope they don't include OQ/GA. 

• Love 2

Well, I mean he can come at the end of the episode and snap at them. What the hell are you doing harmonizing with the VOTW?! Jesus, Barry. Save it for karaoke night at the coffee shop and take down the baddie.

• Love 6

I don't know if they can, without sounding like jerks. And possibly giving away plots for future episodes.

"Yeah, she's not actually a regular. We just want to keep her on contract so she'll be available whenever we want, if we want, and we also don't have to pay her a guest star salary." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 13