Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Probably that he's really glad Tommy got killed off when he did so he (Colin) didn't have to play the third wheel for another X number of seasons. 

In all seriousness, Tommy dying was probably the best thing to happen to CD because he ended up going back to NYC for work and met his now-wife, who is pretty awesome.  

And he's on one of the hottest show on TV right now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I can't help think that Colin is getting a bit of payback playing up Flommy for how Laurel suddenly threw her relationship with Tommy under the bus in Oliver being the love of her life. 

He's never been quite so vocal about it before, lol. 

I just want it for the Flommy. That's fantastic.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'm ok with the idea that Tommy and Felicity might have been friends off screen, but I'm not a fan of Tommy/Felicity in the romantic sense. Everything on the show indicated that he was 100% in love with Laurel for years until his dying breath, and Felicity deserves better than to be the rebound girl. 

This reminds me of one of my favorite Arrow Fan Fics. Smoak & Merlyn http://archiveofourown.org/works/2182101/chapters/4776099

I have never been interested in a romantic Flommy. But the show really lost some amazing friendship moments with F/T. I think they would have been very  good friends and would have had so much fun with Oliver. I also feel like him & Dig would have been entertaining. And TQ never got to have TM as her brother.

I know that CD life greatly improved by being killed off the show, which is nice karma for him. :) However, it doesn't mean I'm forever disappointed that I will never get to see him hang out on Arrow again. Every season they force me to put up with these new people or forced people in the lair. When really I just want Tommy & Moira back, even if it's only for every so many episodes.

Poor Tommy, so many people betrayed him in his life and death. Kudos to CD for taking a few shots at the LL relationship. Clearly the show & KC never had a problem reducing that relationship. Why should he hold it up to any esteem?

• Love 3

Man, how unfortunate that we had to lose Tommy so early in the series, but it really worked out well for CD, who is now married and is in the Chicago series, so good for him. But what I wouldn't do for an Earth-3 Tommy popping up. As much as I rag on The Flash and how I dislike that show being so connected with Arrow, especially now with Flashpoint happening and them having to explain why Arrow won't be affected (much), it has opened the door to some of our favourites making a guest appearance if the actors so choose to, while keeping the Earth-1 characters legitimately dead. Plus, I'm happy that CD is still friends with the Arrow cast, because it does open a door for a few more Tommy appearances throughout the series until it ends. And he can still appear at cons, even with his character being dead for three years now. 

I could go for an Earth-3 Tommy/Felicity villain team-up, you know? If we couldn't have Tommy/Felicity, then maybe if CD has time, he can do a one episode Earth-3 arc with him and Felicity being kickass villains or something! CD can get his Flommy (hell, if he wants the relationship and all, go for it!) and we would get enjoyment over seeing Tommy but without having him be resurrected. 

• Love 5

Yikes. That's pretty bad. Honestly I was very skeptical when people blew out of proportion them not attending the party because it came mainly from people who weren't at the con and it seemed the general goal was to gloat there was a chance to hate but it doesn't seem to me this person has any agenda and is simply a disappointed fan.

I'm not surprised by KC's behavior because it's not the first time I read something like this and I'm disappointed Willa and Emily were so childish.

I went and asked her a few questions. Namely what did she say to Oliver during her last scene. She said she didn’t know. [...]

But the following day during Emily and Willa’s panel they answered the same question saying that the scene had been shot but cut and that they couldn’t tell us.

Didn't Stephen say that he knew what she told him, but they didn't shoot it? Am I remembering wrong?

• Love 1
(edited)

People with social anxiety due tend to take cues from others, and that could be what happened with Emily. Unfortunately the person she took the cues from wasn't the best, and her image suffered a bit from it. This is also the first time EBR has done something like this, so until it becomes a habit for her I am going to reserve full judgement. It sucks for the fans that were there tho. 

As for the group photo- I can't hate too much on KC wanting to sit down (and then getting others to sit too). It happens a lot in group photos- if I remember correctly most of them were sitting in the COH2 photos too? You can't fit too many people in a photo when they are all standing, so some will have to sit down. At least they also did the other photo ops where they interacted with fans. From what I've seen at from other cons some celebrities will just sit in a chair and you have .4 seconds to stand next to them and that's it. 

I disagree about them being there "just there for the free trip". If that was the case, I'm sure they wouldn't pick cons that have meeting rooms in addition to panels and photo ops. I also don't think they are too concerned about "free trips" considering Willa just bought her boyfriend a car for his birthday. Maybe they were, but I don't think it's far too say that Willa and EBR are the same as KC now after just one con. When it becomes repeated behaviour (like KC and Amell) then I will change my tune. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 7

This really made me laugh. It sounds so serious, like she was peddling smack or something, haha.

(only Shantel VanSanten resisted her influence and refused to sit down so she could stand up wth the fans

I do feel sorry for anyone who had planned a pose that required them to be standing, though. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

People with social anxiety due tend to take cues from others, and that could be what happened with Emily. Unfortunately the person she took the cues from wasn't the best, and her image suffered a bit from it. This is also the first time EBR has done something like this, so until it becomes a habit for her I am going to reserve full judgement. It sucks for the fans that were there tho. 

As for the group photo- I can't hate too much on KC wanting to sit down (and then getting others to sit too). It happens a lot in group photos- if I remember correctly most of them were sitting in the COH2 photos too? You can't fit too many people in a photo when they are all standing- so some will have to sit down. At least they also did the other photo ops where they interacted with fans. From what I've seen at from other cons some celebrities will just sit in a chair and you have .4 seconds to stand next to them and that's it. 

I disagree about them being there "just there for the free trip". If that was the case, I'm sure they wouldn't pick cons that have meeting rooms in addition to panels and photo ops. I also don't think they are too concerned about "free trips" considering Willa just bought her boyfriend a car for his birthday. Maybe they were, but I don't think it's far too say that Willa and EBR are the same as KC now after just one con. When it becomes repeated behaviour (like KC and Amell) then I will change my tune. 

Even people without social anxiety issues do it. I think it's more an issue of immaturity than anything else.

I think it's more their attitude during the weekend that left people disappointed than single episodes like asking for a chair. I also read a couple of people saying that at the panel they were all together KC, Emily and Willa kept giggling between them, snapping selfies..stuff like that. 

4 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

I feel like some fans treat these actors like their dolls to be played with. 

Agreed.  It may just be me but I'm trying to figure out what's so wrong with wanting to sit for a group photo.  You're still getting a photo with the celebrity.  Like it or not, these fans have to accept that not every celebrity wants to have fans hanging off of them in photos.  The same thing happened to me recently with Gillian Anderson.  We were informed that she requested people stand next to her and not put their hands/arms around her.  She was incredibly nice and everyone respected her personal space and the photos turned out just fine.  Not a big deal.  I didn't feel cheated that I didn't get to touch her.

• Love 12

That seems like an honest recap. She didn't fling around hate, just disappointment. It's too bad that EBR and WH followed KC's lead. EBR was nice and accommodating at the Con I met her at. She did seem shy and uncomfortable which is fine that's how I am in as well. That's why we just chatted about Game of Thrones and Orphan Black. Most of the time the celebs are thrilled when you talk about something other than their show which they have been answering the same questions about all weekend. She was still talking to me while they were pushing me out of the line so other people could meet her. 

Never met KC so I can't comment on her, however her con behavior is pretty well known. That's why I believe she's just doing them for the money. Not because she wants to gain a fanbase. It doesn't look like she even cares about her fans with showing up hours late and being dismissive towards them. Most of the negative feedback is starting to come from fans of her. Because I doubt non-fans would be trying to get pics or go to her panels. 

I get actors being uncomfortable with some of the poses people ask for, but we are playing an arm and leg for these photo ops now when they used to be FREE! They are making money from these pics too. If they are truly uncomfortable they should say something and find a comprise. 

1 minute ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Even people without social anxiety issues do it. I think it's more an issue of immaturity than anything else.

I think it's more their attitude during the weekend that left people disappointed than single episodes like asking for a chair. I also read a couple of people saying that at the panel they were all together KC, Emily and Willa kept giggling between them, snapping selfies..stuff like that. 

Going to have to disagree with you on the "immaturity" part, sorry. Yes, people take social cues from others but it's really not a sign of immaturity more than anything else. And unless one suffers from social anxiety, I don't think it's fair to say what is or isn't a symptom of it. Anxiety cannot be fixed and to call someone who suffers from it and has found a way to cope with it 'childish' because you don't agree with it is wrong. 

I wasn't there, so I can't say anything definitive one way or the other. But I do think a lot of people at the con were looking for reasons to hate on the actresses (or KC and her influence) and have taken this and used it. Two people can see the same thing and come away with completely different experiences. 

The idea that these celebrities owe the fans 115% and to pose and talk and act however the fans dictate is disgusting. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't necessarily think it's a matter of people actively looking for ways to hate on the actresses--I genuinely do think some end up disappointed when their expectations aren't met.  The thing is that maybe those expectations aren't always realistic.  I appreciate and understand that you pay good money to meet your favorite celebs but at the same time they don't know you.  You are a stranger to them so if they don't feel completely comfortable allowing you unrestricted access to them then that's their right too.  The smart thing to do is to go into these cons with managed expectations that you simply get a chance to meet those whom you admire and anything beyond that is gravy.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

This really made me laugh. It sounds so serious, like she was peddling smack or something, haha.

I pictured KC  trying to hypnotize her with a pendulum, instead, haha.

10 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I also read a couple of people saying that at the panel they were all together KC, Emily and Willa kept giggling between them, snapping selfies..stuff like that. 

They all do it. And often. Even at SDCC, or PaleyFest, while someone is talking  the other ones are either talking or looking at  their phones hidden beneath the table, or snapping selfies.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

Going to have to disagree with you on the "immaturity" part, sorry. Yes, people take social cues from others but it's really not a sign of immaturity more than anything else. And unless one suffers from social anxiety, I don't think it's fair to say what is or isn't a symptom of it. Anxiety cannot be fixed and to call someone who suffers from it and has found a way to cope with it 'childish' because you don't agree with it is wrong. 

I wasn't there, so I can't say anything definitive one way or the other. But I do think a lot of people at the con were looking for reasons to hate on the actresses (or KC and her influence) and have taken this and used it. Two people can see the same thing and come away with completely different experiences. 

The idea that these celebrities owe the fans 115% and to pose and talk and act however the fans dictate is disgusting. 

I didn't mean to dismiss social anxiety. I was mostly talking from personal experience because of my immaturity I took social cues from people who didn't behave in the best way and only realized it later so I said even people who don't suffer from it do it. Maybe you are right and it's a symptom of social anxiety. From different reports the picture that appears to me seems one of an immature behavior in general, especially from the behavior at the final panel so that was my impression.

I think there were people looking for a way to hate on KC but more than at the con at home and in fact I initially defended them all but those who are talking now don't seem hateful, just disappointed. 

I don't think actors have to act like fans dictate, I just have an idea of what a respectful behavior is, especially since you are doing it for a tons of money, that isn't the one I read about. I don't think it's nice to be described as "difficult to manage" from people who were working BTS.

• Love 2

I feel uncomfortable asking them to do anything other than the regular picture pose. Standing by them or them putting their arm around me. Which I let them decide whether to do that or not. I never ask them. Most of them put their arms around me on their own. 

• Love 1

I didn't see it mentioned there but someone at the party said they were told that KC requested the party be moved so she could attend. They did and she didn't show.

Some of the complaints seem a little small. Idk.

I haven't seen a single comment from someone saying EBR or WH were rude or dismissive in person. Unless people are taking missing the Verdant Party or the closing ceremony as rude but I think that's questionable.

My opinion of KC isn't favorable so I can easily believe she would be difficult.

• Love 2

Here's some more recaps of the weekend. The user has two, one focusing on EBR that addresses some of the things that were brought up, and then just an overall recap

Apparently EBR mentioned during the Sunday meeting room that she had a really bad experience with the paparazzi on Saturday night that included the police. Knowing that she's been made aware of the death threats sent her way (and was actually told by the network) and then this, I really don't blame her for not wanting to attend something with fans that was not a requirement...I wouldn't blame anyone for doing the same thing either. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I read what that person said on Twitter already and she and the friend she mentions also implied they was negatively impressed by KC and her friendship with Emily but didn't want to publicly talk about it. Some asked her to talk about it in private. I also read already both Emily and Willa were great with the fans, I didn't read anyone saying they were rude. (Other that some complaints about living the private session)

I defended both Emily and KC when they didn't show up at the party the other day because we didn't know if it was required and the actors who showed up went for a few minutes so it didn't look like an obligation to me and I stand by what I said. But I still think they could have avoided being late, be at the closing ceremony and act a bit differently at the last panel. I also don't think it's great that the staff said they made their job difficult. And I think it was rude of KC to tell people she wasn't going to take selfies with them in the private session when people paid 300€ for half an hour for that. If you don't want to do it than don't but also don't take the money for that.

I just read this by the way: 

This is the friend of the girl who wrote that very nice recap.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
1 hour ago, NumberCruncher said:

Agreed.  It may just be me but I'm trying to figure out what's so wrong with wanting to sit for a group photo.  You're still getting a photo with the celebrity.

Right; this doesn't seem like a huge deal at all. And as someone else pointed out, some people had to be sitting in order to fit everyone in the pic. Also, I imagine they were tired... and just didn't want to sit on the floor. Am I missing something? 

Also the accusation of KC "lying" seems unduly harsh. I'm not her biggest fan, but if there's anything I've gathered from her interviews, etc., it's that she is terribly awkward in answering questions about the show. So I can see her saying she didn't know vs. just saying she couldn't tell the person what was filmed. It doesn't seem like a huge omission or even something that duplicitous. 

The rumors from the staff are another thing, particularly given what we know about KC's lateness. But again, rumors someone heard from someone else aren't always the most credible. 

As for not going to events they (KC, WH, EBR) weren't expected to go to... again, I don't see the problem. It's a long couple of days of meeting and talking with people; it's overwhelming, I'm sure. These complaints/the "backlash" all seem aggrandized, so I wonder if it's mostly from crushed expectations. 

• Love 9
(edited)

http://petitmimosa.tumblr.com/

Sometimes I am not sure whether people truly don't like KC and they make her seem worse than she is or she is as they portray. However, fans always seem to cut EBR some slack whether she deserves it or not. Regardless of whether all these fans accounts are completely true or not, I personally always find it incredibly rude to be late and not say sorry in general. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 2
(edited)

This actually makes me glad to not be able to go to some of these things so I can't be disappointed in person.  All the actors I've met at cons have been super nice and professional.  Okay most was during the Buffy era and I think many of them were just glad of the opportunity to travel, but still.  Perhaps they should take a lesson from Barrowman on interacting with fans.  He always gives 110% and goes the extra mile (mixed metaphors!).

Also worth mentioning at the one US con I went to in 2014, William Shatner had done something to his hip in a riding accident and his handlers went above and beyond to tell everyone well in advance that he needed a chair to sit in for photo ops and apologising (he also sat for his panel).  Shatner was really sweet and extremely polite, and it's not like he needs either the money or the exposure.

Edited by pootlus
(edited)

I can see where some fans expect too much but I also see it as you expect to get what you paid for. Cons have become super expensive in the past few years. The actors are being paid to be there and don't have to attend cons, so when they do they should show up and engage with the fans that paid tons of money to see them. KC seems to not care about the Cons she attends with her constant lateness. Once or twice, okay, but this has now happened at every single Con she's been at. 

Since I still hold a grudge with autographs and photos being free. The actors now profit from those as well. The least they can do is show up on time and talk to their fans for a few minutes. They're actors, act like you care. Or don't attend a Con. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Belinea said:

Sometimes I am not sure whether people truly don't like KC and they make her seem worse than she is or she is as they portray. However, fans always seem to cut EBR some slack whether she deserves it or not. Regardless of whether all these fans accounts are completely true or not, I personally always find it incredibly rude to be late and not say sorry in general. 

I'm confused on what they were late for. Were they just late to the con on Saturday but in time for their scheduled events? I don't remember anyone saying EBR's events started late on Saturday. It sounds like they were late crashing Shantel and Rick's panel? I don't know. I know on Sunday, EBR and Willa's panel started late, but everything was running late that day (including DR's meeting room).

I honestly don't think EBR gets cut any slack. I don't remember anyone complaining last year about DR, DP, and WH skipping the private party. Yet, this year, people completely lost it when EBR didn't go and were demanding explanations even though there was no guarantee on which actors would be attending. I don't know if anyone follows EBR on Twitter, but there's a possible explanation as to why she left early on Sunday and why she was in the bathroom for so long. ?

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 4

Honestly I think like in most cases the truth is in the middle. None of the girls is perfect and some people had way too high expectations. They could have behaved better but I don't think there's reason for the drama some are creating.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Honestly I think like in most cases the truth is in the middle. None of the girls is perfect and some people had way too high expectations. They could have behaved better but I don't think there's reason for the drama some are creating.

After reading all the con accounts posted here, this is pretty much where I fall as well. It's always somewhere in between. I suppose that's why they say to never meet your heroes. I do hope, for any fans, the next con goes well for them. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Belinea said:

However, fans always seem to cut EBR some slack whether she deserves it or not.

24 minutes ago, AnyoneButYou said:

I honestly don't think EBR gets cut any slack. I don't remember anyone complaining last year about DR, DP, and WH skipping the private party. Yet, this year, people completely lost it when EBR didn't go and were demanding explanations even though there was no guarantee on which actors would be attending.

I think EBR gets cut a ton of slack, and I think it's partly because there hasn't been much to side-eye her for, historically. In this specific situation, I think people are quick to jump to her defense because she almost never does cons, so she doesn't have a history of lateness and other rumored bad behavior, and therefore, it's easy to believe that this is overblown or just not a big deal.

On the other hand, I strongly doubt that most people making these reports really headed out to the con with the notion of seeing some ~influence~ from KC, so that they would almost hope to have a bad experience with EBR. What I've read (including the link above) sounds to me like it is coming from people who really love EBR and were hoping to have a great experience with her (as some of them had in the past), but felt disappointed and put off by things that happened at the con. Many of the types of things people are voicing their disappointment about don't sound entitled or demanding to me; they sound like things that would turn me off of someone too. That W/E/K panel sounds obnoxious, and I would have left it feeling less fond of all of them.

But of course, people have bad days or just bad moments. And sometimes there are other factors involved (like illness, anxiety, or whatever this paparazzi situation was), but without knowledge of any of those factors, the fans at the con had to go on their impressions and it sounds like for many of them, it wasn't so great. So it goes. I don't see anyone here or elsewhere claiming that EBR is a horrible person or anything.

• Love 5

I don't want to start rumours or blame or whatever, but I have seen people on Twitter talk about how much they dislike KC and they tend to believe KC is using EBR because EBR is better liked by the fandom. Now those people may not have been at the con, or maybe they were, who knows. But when something happens that could back up someone's theory/opinion about someone (in this case KC and her influence on EBR) they will use that to their advantage. 

I just think this entire thing got blown out of proportion. EBR didn't behave the way the guests believed she would, and they got upset and that's fair. But I also know that we have no idea why EBR was late or left early, and to say she was just careless about the fans when her previous behaviour says otherwise is unfair.

• Love 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I think EBR gets cut a ton of slack, and I think it's partly because there hasn't been much to side-eye her for, historically. In this specific situation, I think people are quick to jump to her defense because she almost never does cons, so she doesn't have a history of lateness and other rumored bad behavior, and therefore, it's easy to believe that this is overblown or just not a big deal.

On the other hand, I strongly doubt that most people making these reports really headed out to the con with the notion of seeing some ~influence~ from KC, so that they would almost hope to have a bad experience with EBR. What I've read (including the link above) sounds to me like it is coming from people who really love EBR and were hoping to have a great experience with her (as some of them had in the past), but felt disappointed and put off by things that happened at the con. Many of the types of things people are voicing their disappointment about don't sound entitled or demanding to me; they sound like things that would turn me off of someone too. That W/E/K panel sounds obnoxious, and I would have left it feeling less fond of all of them.

But of course, people have bad days or just bad moments. And sometimes there are other factors involved (like illness, anxiety, or whatever this paparazzi situation was), but without knowledge of any of those factors, the fans at the con had to go on their impressions and it sounds like for many of them, it wasn't so great. So it goes. I don't see anyone here or elsewhere claiming that EBR is a horrible person or anything.

I guess it depends on where you look. I know that people on Twitter in particular were horrible to EBR this weekend (I went on a block/unfollow/mute party). There was a lot of fan entitlement going on for not going to the private party and leaving early on Sunday. I saw a lot of tweets saying, "you owe us an explanation," where there was none of that last year when DR, DP, and WH skipped the private party last year. I know some of it came from people who weren't actually at the con, but I guess I just don't see why more is always expected of EBR than of others.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

I don't want to start rumours or blame or whatever, but I have seen people on Twitter talk about how much they dislike KC and they tend to believe KC is using EBR because EBR is better liked by the fandom. Now those people may not have been at the con, or maybe they were, who knows. But when something happens that could back up someone's theory/opinion about someone (in this case KC and her influence on EBR) they will use that to their advantage.

No, I'm sure there are people who feel that way and act accordingly. My point was just that I doubt that type of person represents the majority of people making reports, or even if they are the most vocal, those reports seem to me to be supported by other people who are NOT predisposed to seeing that/calling it out. Does that make sense? I just think most people who went to the con hoping to see Emily were hoping to have a great experience with her, and they wouldn't have been looking for shadiness and relishing the chance to throw her under the bus or anything.

I just think this entire thing got blown out of proportion. EBR didn't behave the way the guests believed she would, and they got upset and that's fair. But I also know that we have no idea why EBR was late or left early, and to say she was just careless about the fans when her previous behaviour says otherwise is unfair.

Not sure who's saying she was just careless about the fans because I have definitely not read everything people are posting on Twitter, etc.,  but if that is someone's feeling based on their experience, I do think that's fair for them to express. I guess that's kind of my bottom line here. It feels like people are being told that they were wrong to have negative feelings or to express them, when everyone in this cast comes under criticism sometimes. It doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with the criticism.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, AnyoneButYou said:

I saw a lot of tweets saying, "you owe us an explanation," where there was none of that last year when DR, DP, and WH skipped the private party last year. I know some of it came from people who weren't actually at the con, but I guess I just don't see why more is always expected of EBR than of others.

I'm not sure there's really an "always" at play here, since this is what, Emily's second con this year? And from what I can tell this is the first one she's ever done where anyone's had an issue with her behavior. I also don't think there's as much fan demand for DP, DR and WH since they do other cons. Emily doesn't, so of course people are going to a) be excited to see her, and b) be upset when she doesn't show for something.

• Love 1
(edited)

IDK what to think about it. I understand that people were disappointed, and that's their right. I get that people came into the con with certain expectations and those expectations were set on how much she was praised last year at the same con. But I also understand that they may be some extenuating circumstances to Emily's behavior this year like being sick, dealing with the paparazzi... 

The con-goers being disappointed probably 1) had too high of expectations and were acting a bit entitled (which for 300 pounds it's definitely easy to feel that way) 2) is also partially because Emily didn't put her best foot forward for whatever reason. It could be because KC is a bad influence or it could be because of her anxiety or it could be because she just wasn't dedicated enough or maybe she was still burned out from COH2 which seemed pretty intense. 

But I have to admit there are some unfair criticisms going on here and that's:

• People complaining about Emily going to the bathroom (she's human too and it's clear from her tweet that she was feeling sick)
  • Not going to the after party when it's been stated that while actors would be there, the actors weren't obligated to go to. This is more the con's fault for false advertising, IMO
Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8

It does suck that things didn't go smoothly this year for people who paid but I can't really get behind the whole "influence" thing. EBR/Willa are both grown ass women, they make their own decisions and don't really seem like sheep who follow the herd so the whole "KC caused them to act this way" is a bit much for me. 

I do think it is a mix of people having to high of expectations and some of the actors not doing cons to meet and enjoy their fans, it is a purely a job where they do the bare minimum. 

• Love 1

It doesn't even seem to me like anyone's expectations were all that high. Emily showed up to that party last year, didn't she? Doesn't seem unreasonable to expect her to pop in for a little while this year, even though her attendance wasn't explicitly guaranteed. I don't want to comment on it beyond that, because I'm not sure if she said she'd go and then didn't show up, or if she never intended to show up, or what was going on. 

And if she truly wasn't feeling well (I'm not entirely sure that she was talking about herself in that tweet since she's traveling with other people who could be sick), then I'm not sure why she didn't just tell people that? Because I don't think there's anything at all wrong with her going to the bathroom, but if she returned to the room and then took off with Willa and Katie, then that doesn't look so good. And if she and Willa and Katie were chatting it up on stage during a panel and being a little cliquish, that's not such a good look either. Individually, none of these things are a big deal, but together I can see how they paint a certain picture.

I'm glad that the majority of people didn't seem to take much issue with anything that went on, but those who did should be allowed their disappointment. At this point it seems like there's a lot of "it's fair to feel that way" followed by reasons why maybe it isn't. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

It doesn't even seem to me like anyone's expectations were all that high. Emily showed up to that party last year, didn't she? Doesn't seem unreasonable to expect her to pop in for a little while this year, even though her attendance wasn't explicitly guaranteed. I don't want to comment on it beyond that, because I'm not sure if she said she'd go and then didn't show up, or if she never intended to show up, or what was going on. 

And if she truly wasn't feeling well (I'm not entirely sure that she was talking about herself in that tweet since she's traveling with other people who could be sick), then I'm not sure why she didn't just tell people that? Because I don't think there's anything at all wrong with her going to the bathroom, but if she returned to the room and then took off with Willa and Katie, then that doesn't look so good. And if she and Willa and Katie were chatting it up on stage during a panel and being a little cliquish, that's not such a good look either. Individually, none of these things are a big deal, but together I can see how they paint a certain picture.

I'm glad that the majority of people didn't seem to take much issue with anything that went on, but those who did should be allowed their disappointment. At this point it seems like there's a lot of "it's fair to feel that way" followed by reasons why maybe it isn't. 

I feel like if she did show up for ten minutes like she did last year people would still complain that she only spent 10 minutes at the party tbh. I think less people would complain, but there still would be people who would complain. :p

But yeah if she did leave with KC/WH after she returned then that sucks.

I feel bad for the people who were disappointed though. Hope they have a chance to go back next year and have a better experience.

Although I've not attended a con and probably never will (not big on crowds), I've been really fascinated by the ongoing conversation.

As someone with no experience with these sorts of things, I would think that moderated interactions would have the highest likelihood of success of ensuring a satisfying experience for both the fan and celebrity.  It wouldn't even have to be overtly moderated, but I think that having someone other than the celebrity responsible for ensuring the fans' experience seemed worth the money would mitigate some of the complaints from the most recent con with EBR, KC, and WH. Of course, with KC, the first step is to get her to the con on time, from what I've read here.  But, the whole thing with the 3 ladies paying more attention to each other while on stage in front of people who paid to hear them talk to the audience is really bad form.  I also find it mind-boggling that people paid to be on that stage would be texting, but distraction has become socially acceptable almost everywhere.

If I had organized the con, which I believe is a business venture, then I would have certain requirements of the celebrity participants. When the celebrity is participating in a scheduled event, I would be clear about my expectations for providing good customer service to the fans in attendance. For example, at the EmeraldArcher Con, I would provide a moderator for the panels to keep the celebrites focused and engaged on the audience.  The mods would be trained to refrain from interfering as much as possible with the organic interactions occurring between the celebrity and fans, but as soon as problematic behavior started (such as anything that excludes the fan from the experience), the mod could get the celebrity re-focused.  An EmeraldArcher contract would be explicit about which events the celebrity has agreed to attend for marketing purposes, and there would be a steep financial penalty for breaking the terms of the contract, including tardiness. My contract would also forbid texting during paid appearances, such as panels or smaller group sessions.  As a business person, I would require the celebrities to be in "work" mode so that they would be focused on the fan experience they've been paid to provide.  I would provide customer satisfaction surveys instead of relying on social media posts and rumors, and I would only invite back celebrities who were likely to be a good investment and who behaved professionally--showing up on time, remaining sober during paid appearances, and staying for the agreed-upon and publicized duration.

However, nothing in my contract would specify expectations reliant on personality, mood, or comfort level.  Expecting someone to allow you to hug or touch them in any way simply because you've paid money smacks a little of prostitution to me (admittedly, the tiniest smidge, but still).  People who've paid for a photograph with a celebrity should really only expect a photograph with a celebrity. Anything else they're willing to do, such as requested poses or allowing you to touch them, should be completely at their discretion and comfort level, not yours.

I feel like another factor in unsatisfactory fan experiences at cons is the expectation that someone who is an actor is also an entertainer.  John Barrowman's behavior at cons sounds awesome and a lot of fun because he is an entertainer. Like, an honest-to-goodness Entertainer with a capital E.  He acts, he sings, he jokes, he writes--he's the embodiment of an entertainer.  He seems to get as much out of the experience as the fans. On the other hand, people like KC, EBR, WH, CH, and GG are actors, but not necessarily Entertainers.  Perhaps they just don't perform as well being themselves as they do their characters in scripted scenes. EBR is awesome at being Felicity, but maybe she's not awesome at being Emily in front of a roomful of strangers who expect her to perform for them.  And, that's OK, because if the experience is structured enough, she might find comfort in knowing exactly what is expected of her and thrive within that space.

I guess my impression is that what fans are really complaining about when a con doesn't meet their expectations is a lack of good customer service.  And that sucks whenever you've paid a lot of money and then you either didn't get what you paid for at all or the quality was sub par.  I think con organizers should take more control over the events by ensuring that the celebrity guests understand and fulfill their obligations as paid participants. Fans pay too much to attend and the celebrities get paid too much to appear to not treat these cons as serious business.

• Love 15
16 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

This is the friend of the girl who wrote that very nice recap.

Not sure I get these tweets - I'm not on twitter so I don't know who these people are, plus I haven't been following this con thing closely - are they being sarcastic, i.e. KC and Emily weren't really difficult and they are laughing at people saying they were, or is this genuine and they are gloating that after her behavior KC might not  get invited next year?

I've spoken with people who spoke directly to management and the organizers at the Paris con, and according to management it works like this -- when the guests sign up for the con they automatically sign up for the party and the meet and greet. If they won't attend they are required to let the organizer and management know. Neither KC or EBR let the organizers know and gave no excuse for not showing up on the Saturday.  Management even talked to fans and apologized for their lack of presence.

Make of that what you will.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, looptab said:

Not sure I get these tweets - I'm not on twitter so I don't know who these people are, plus I haven't been following this con thing closely - are they being sarcastic, i.e. KC and Emily weren't really difficult and they are laughing at people saying they were, or is this genuine and they are gloating that after her behavior KC might not  get invited next year?

Checking this person's tweets and what she said about the weekend I'd say neither. More a "oh my God, what a mess." comment. Not sure I explained myself at all, LOL.

She was always pretty annoyed at people being nasty towards Emily and Willa because she said they were great with her and her friends and Emily asked her friend for a email address so they could keep in touch about a charity project.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 1

At COH EBR was fantastic, and her panel was great. KC's panel was fine too, though I can't really speak much of her behavior or anything because I didn't go out of my way to see her, unlike with EBR. 

The problem with cons is that people have paid for a service, and they do have a right to be upset when they don't get that service. Obviously, we can't expect everyone to be John Barrowman levels of entertaining, but turning up, being on time, being mentally present and attempting to engage with fans should be expected. If an actor isn't willing to do that, then I'd rather they not go to con at all. That goes for everyone.

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Checking this person's tweets and what she said about the weekend I'd say neither. More a "oh my God, what a mess." comment. Not sure I explained myself at all, LOL.

Oh, I get it =) Thank you for clarifying that for me :)

I've never really met actors as a fan, but I did meet quite a few professionally -- though not in cons, the movie festival circuit isn't that much different in terms of what the people producing the festival [i.e. my employers at the time] expect from whatever talent is there to present movie, participate in round tables, Q&As, press junkets, etc.

And really, most actors/directors/celebs I've met were totally professional, and kind to staff and engaging with fans. BUT there's still something that goes on, which my boss used to call "the perpetual culture of adulation". Which was always made clear to staff while finishing up contracts/schedule/flights/hotels with managers and agents -- they would present actors as delicate flowers in perpetual need of attention, AND like they were doing the festival a really big favor coming to here to talk about their movie*. So a lot of the actors, even though professional, and kind, and engaging, would also believe they were there as a favor, and the expectation of *pampering* was just there, at all times.

I just figure all of that just becomes worse when it's meeting fans instead of actively selling a movie to distributors/critics/fans [in that order of importance].

* You're in a movie *festival*, hot shot, chances are your film isn't a guarantee box office hit, you know? Has your movie's producer even found a distributor yet? This is not a favor to anyone, ffs.

• Love 3