Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

KC used the hashtag #Dallas under all the instagram pics of @TomboyKC, alongside other words like happiness, fashion and love. If I had been a fan waiting for her in Dallas, I would have been pretty annoyed.

Edited by ABCDE
  • Love 2

How much does it cost to go to a con? I don't want to derail the conversation but I'm interested now, so a link with prices if there is one would be welcome.

Here's the cost for the Heroes and Villains Fan Fest Chicago.

http://heroesfanfest.com/chicago/tickets/

Keep in mind those are the prices to for tickets to get into the con, they do not include Photo Ops or Autographs. Plus there's the fans that live out of state or don't live near the convention center that pay for plane tickets and hotels. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

How much does it cost to go to a con? I don't want to derail the conversation but I'm interested now, so a link with prices if there is one would be welcome.

It's different for every con I believe, and it depends on what type of tickets you get. General admission for a day at the Calgary Expo can be about $40 but it can also go up to $300+ for a VIP ticket for the four full days (which I believe gets you a photo op and being able to "jump" to the front of the line for some things?). Then you add in cost of photo ops (around $70 depending on the celebrity, I believe Amell's at HVFF NJ was $90?) and then you add in autographs. So a few hundred just for the con, then you add in travel, food, and accommodations if you don't live in that city, and it costs a pretty penny. I do know that last year, I got a discount on the hotel because it was for the Calgary Expo (which also included a discount of about 10% on the food I believe).  

Here's the cost for the Heroes and Villains Fan Fest Chicago.

http://heroesfanfest.com/chicago/tickets/

Keep in mind those are the prices to for tickets to get into the con, they do not include Photo Ops or Autographs. Plus there's the fans that live out of state or don't live near the convention center that pay for plane tickets and hotels.

I'm sorry, but I could never justify spending $900 for a con ticket. Especially a HVFF con that doesn't have the best history from what I've heard. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 3

It's different for every con I believe, and it depends on what type of tickets you get. General admission for a day at the Calgary Expo can be about $40 but it can also go up to $300+ for a VIP ticket for the four full days (which I believe gets you a photo op and being able to "jump" to the front of the line for some things?). Then you add in cost of photo ops (around $70 depending on the celebrity, I believe Amell's at HVFF NJ was $90?) and then you add in autographs. So a few hundred just for the con, then you add in travel, food, and accommodations if you don't live in that city, and it costs a pretty penny. I do know that last year, I got a discount on the hotel because it was for the Calgary Expo (which also included a discount of about 10% on the food I believe).  

I'm sorry, but I could never justify spending $900 for a con ticket. Especially a HVFF con that doesn't have the best history from what I've heard. 

Okay so the listed price at the Chicago HVFF for Celebrity VIP for Stephen Amell is $320 for 50 attendees which equals $16K is that clear money for him or are there dues they pay the convention or does the convention also pay them a fee for attending? I mean that is a lot of money for a day of work and I guess double if the package includes different 50 attendees for the next day. I can see why some celebrities do these damn cons on a regular basis.

Edited by Ann Mack

Okay so the listed price at the Chicago HVFF for Celebrity VIP for Stephen Amell is $320 for 50 attendees which equals $16K is that clear money for him or are there dues they pay the convention or does the convention also pay them a fee for attending? I mean that is a lot of money for a day of work and I guess double if the package includes different 50 attendees for the next day. I can see why some celebrities do these damn cons on a regular basis.

The guests are paid about $5000 - $100,000 (depending on celebrity status) to attend the con, plus travel, food and hotel. They also make some money from the VIP, photo ops and autograph sales. 

Lol at Katie moving on to a show where she will be respected. You earn respect. She hasn't show she's a good candidate for cons. Even when she's there she makes questionable statements.

Also since when did this escalate to her needing to be respected on another show?

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 1

The guests are paid about $5000 - $100,000 (depending on celebrity status) to attend the con, plus travel, food and hotel. They also make some money from the VIP, photo ops and autograph sales. 

My new goal in life is to become famous for a cult favourite show and then to forever make money off of going to cons for the rest of my life. Holy wow that is a lot of money for fourish days of work where you can show up late/hungover/etc and all you have to do is take some photos and sign some stuff. (Kidding, I am sure there is more work involved for the guests than that).

(Part of me respects the stars that don't do the cons even more now considering the amount of money that they could make from it). 

• Love 9

Lol at Katie moving on to a show where she will be respected. You earn respect. She hasn't show she's a good candidate for cons. Even when she's there she makes questionable statements.

Also since when did this escalate to her needing to be respected on another show?

She's been to more cons then what she has canceled. This is the first one she's canceled in what? over a year? And her questionable statements are only questionable to those who do not agree with her view of the character, that has nothing to do with respect. 

Should she have canceled sooner rather then later? Yeah. But she apologized, should give her first born or something? 

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 1

^ In regards to the respect I was talking about macgirl replying like KC doesn't get respect on Arrow. Which is bull because any other character who needed this many arcs to work and still doesn't work on the show would've been gone a long time ago.

• Love 1

The $900 VIP ticket is pretty steep, but it does come with a bunch of perks. I wouldn't buy that option either, but the $450 level one isn't unreasonable, considering it includes 2 autographs and 2 photo ops, which could easily add up to a couple hundred dollars. Plus there's a separate, shorter line for autographs and seats reserved at panels. If people have the money to spend, it's worth it for the time saved.

I thought HVFF San Jose was fine, although I admittedly don't have many other con experiences to compare it to. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

The $900 VIP ticket is pretty steep, but it does come with a bunch of perks. I wouldn't buy that option either, but the $450 level one isn't unreasonable, considering it includes 2 autographs and 2 photo ops, which could easily add up to a couple hundred dollars. Plus there's a separate, shorter line for autographs and seats reserved at panels. If people have the money to spend, it's worth it for the time saved.

Oh, if I had the money to, I could totally justify it..probably. But as a student? Yeah not happening. I mean, back when I was working full time and not going to school, I was thisclose to buying the $750 level package for the Veronica Mars movie, but at the time it wasn't open to Canadians. 

• Love 1

I've only ever done general admission, however I probably spent around the VIP prices while I was there. I like buying artwork and other things while I'm there so I can't really justify the $900 ticket. Other times I only go for one person like Hayley Atwel or Caity Lotz, maybe pick up some artwork then leave. 

Still remember when they were free though. I got Joss Whedon and Kristen Bell's autograph  and picture back then for free!

• Love 1

Oh @cw_arrow, never change. This was the caption on a post with a clip from the MM-Oliver confrontation and a link to watch last week's episode:

Will Oliver abandon Star City to save his son? Find out on the latest #Arrow:

This of course, followed the 5 previous posts which included 2 LoT retweets , 1 Flash retweet, 1 post advertising all three shows, and 1 @arrowwriters retweet featuring Cupid. 

Edited by lemotomato

Whoever is running the CW_Arrow Twitter SM is an idiot. Out of curiosity I went to both TheCW_Legends and CW_TheFlash  and neither of those are flooded with promoting CW_Arrow I'm surprised he/she hasn't figured out a way to praise Supergirl on the Arrow site as well (yes I know its a CBS show being a bit sarcastic). Wonder who monitors what they release because they might need to be fired or replaced too!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2

When I went to Dallas Comic Con in 2014, I think my friends and I paid either $90 for VIP tickets for both Saturday and Sunday. Then we paid another $50 for autographs and another $50 or $60 for pictures. (And that's per celebrity) On top of that, none of us were from Dallas, so we had to pay for flights and our hotel room. It wasn't a cheap weekend, and even though I would have had a great time with my friend, regardless, if I'd gone there to see a particular celebrity and he or she wasn't there, I would have been various levels of pissed and disappointed, depending on the reason.

As for Katie, she goes to NYFW twice a year and it's such a big deal for people in the fashion industry that it's scheduled more than a year in advance. I have no earthly idea why she committed to the con. But at this point, I feel like her fans should know better than to pay an exorbitant amount of money for a con if they're going just for her. 

• Love 2

If you have to write many arcs to make a character work then the writing must not be good which isn't that respectful imo. But they made her work fine for me for the most part since S3 with S2 being the only major hiccup for the character.

They all get weird storylines from time to time. It's all in how you act it out. The writing is just part of it. You have to try to elevate the material. Stephen gets Piss poor material sometimes also. Doesn't mean he doesn't try his hardest.

What I'm trying to say is every time I've seen her at a con and answering questions she never goes in depth at all. It's the same "Laurel is strong, she trains and is part of the team."

The amount of weird storylines that others get compared to what they have Laurel deal with I feel is kind of different. I thought Katie did a great job with her drunk storyline but it didn't do any favors for the character as it probably wouldn't with any of them if we had to sit through half a season with a character spiraling.

Katie has certainly become more uncertain through the years it seems when it comes to interviews as if she is always walking on eggshells but that to me is not a reason to dislike her. 

Whoever is running the CW_Arrow Twitter SM is an idiot. Out of curiosity I went to both TheCW_Legends and CW_TheFlash  and neither of those are flooded with promoting CW_Arrow I'm surprised he/she hasn't figured out a way to praise Supergirl on the Arrow site as well (yes I know its a CBS show being a bit sarcastic). Wonder who monitors what they release because they might need to be fired or replaced too!

I think it's a problem with CW social media across the board. They hammer Supernatural's characters, too. I swear I don't think whoever runs it even understands the shows they promote. It's ridiculous.

They guard that thing pretty closely. A few players have had it and well did dumb things with it.

I've read a few articles about one of the guys who's the "keeper" and travels with it. None of those articles have ever mentioned any security outside of him-although maybe they all omitted that part.

We had the Stanley Cup come to my hospital. It came with its keeper, some of Bruins staff and our hospital security watched over it. It's a pretty special trophy. I feel like people watch over it but its just location specific.

• Love 1

I've never been to a con, mostly because I like to maintain the fourth wall with the tv shows/actors I love, but David Ramsey makes me seriously consider attending. He's so smart and charming, and a little more off-the-cuff than other actors I've seen. I'd also be interested in confirming whether his biceps are as big as my head, which I've long suspected.

• Love 5

They guard that thing pretty closely.  A few players have had it and well did dumb things with it.

Marty Brodeur use to bring it down to a local bar for all the fans/his bar mates to see and touch.  I've also heard his kids got to eat cereal out of it.  It's a special cup for anyone that cares about Hockey, not quite sure it matters to people who don't follow Hockey.

• Love 1

Maybe the reason that the CW promo people advertise Flash/LoT so much on Arrow's twitter page, but don't do Arrow the same favor on the Flash/LoT twitter pages is because Arrow fans are the most active on social media? Maybe Arrow's twitter page gets a lot more views than the other shows' twitter pages?  I dunno, I'm just guessing.

KC at Jenny Packham's fall 2016 show (at New York Fashion Week):
JPEmbed.jpghttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jenny-packhams-fall-2016-presentation-865282

Here's the link to Gail Simone's BC tweet and replies (posted on page 318 of this thread):
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/699092266904739840

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Some highlights from watching SA's panel at Dallas ComicCon (video posted by Velocity23 on page 318 of this thread...

-- Per SA,

Cupid is returning to Arrow, Vixen will appear on Arrow, and in later episodes, we'll see "a few villains from previous seasons that we haven't seen since then".

-- Per SA, we won't see who's in the grave until "the end of the season."
-- In response to complaints about Oliver not killing Malcolm, SA: "Good decisions make for bad television... Bad decisions, good television."
-- Per SA,

the "dangling carrot of my estranged son and his mother in danger is something that we're going to address very soon on the show."

-- In

"Star City 2046" (LoT episode), SA said that he got to do things he never thought he'd get to do and also they introduce an "absolutely critical character" in the Arrow timeline that they wouldn't have been able to introduce on Arrow. He also said that future Oliver has the "classic goatee" and a view into Oliver's possible future and Star City, "and we get a familiar nemesis, not in the sense that we've seen him before but in a familial sense".

-- SA said that he feels like the show was "built to be five years long" but he doesn't think it'll end after season 5.  However, they built in a "five-year story." Also, they still have so much to get done in the flashbacks because the flashbacks were built to be only five years.
-- In response to fan question, SA doesn't think there are any plans to bring Artemis on the show any time soon.
-- In response to fan question, SA said that he does his training with his trainer, Thomas, but that one of the things he's become more proficient at, as they've moved through the seasons, is the skill at fighting on television - "the skill of fighting televised martial arts". He thinks that fighting for the camera is a specific type of skill.
-- In response to fan question, SA said that for awhile he wondered why he was always getting cast as villains or hookers.  On Arrow, he enjoys playing someone heroic and who tries to do the right thing, even when making a bad decision, but some of his favorite moments for Oliver are when we see a flaw or the elements of Oliver that aren't heroic because it humanizes the character. Per SA, there are a few elements of the character - as they move through the show and they push the envelope, you can't push the envelope too far and you can't move too far away that you get away from the elements that people enjoy; at the same time, that's the character.
-- Regarding complaints about Oliver not being truthful with Felicity, SA said that he found it "fascinating, if not a lot of fun... obviously, it's something that's going to come back and bite him in the ass."
-- In response to fan question, SA said that he can shoot a bow and arrow, and he is good.
-- In response to fan question about how he got the role of Oliver Queen, SA said that the HBO show he was on previously was cancelled in late Dec. and at the time he was working as a guest star on Private Practice. His cousin Robbie told him about the Arrow auditions for Oliver because he could only picture Stephen doing the role and that pissed him off. The only "unnerving" thing about the audition process was how "seamless" it was for him.  He was the first one to audition and shortly after, the director of the pilot told him that he was going to cast as Oliver.  But then he still had to go test for the network and test for the studio and the head of CBS.  So it was scary because he kept waiting for the shoe to drop.
-- In response to fan question about Oliver's upcoming breakup with Felicity, SA said: "You were fishing for spoilers earlier... talking about things like they had happened, trying to get me to slip up. You won't catch me, Sabrina. (Audience laughs) ... [Fan asks if there is anything he can say to give them hope] ...

I will give you some hope, okay? Obviously, at some point this year, the chickens are going to come home to roost for Oliver, and Felicity will likely find out I have, like, a 10-year-old kid.  (sighs) Oliver... (shakes head in exasperation) ... and I'm sure - but I will tell you, if that happens, I promise, they will handle it like adults."

-- In response to fan question, SA said that he can't say who's in the grave.
-- In response to fan question, SA that "one of the really nice things is, having shot so much content with [Emily], he never gets bored with it" and their scenes are always "super interesting" because they're never what they appear to be on the page when they first read the script.  As for a funny anecdote, SA that they "have this running joke right now where, right before a take, I'll take my hand and go 'ehhhh-ehhh-eh' [makes noise and slaps back of hand against moderator's arm a few times]... like that, which makes no sense at all until you work 14 hours a day with someone and then it becomes incredibly fun. So just know, before any intimate moment, I have, like, draped my hands across her face like a spider. "
-- In response to fan question, SA said that Oliver's line about "I was going to go with Oracle but that's already taken" was in the script (not ad libbed) and that, at the time, he had no idea what it meant.  Then the Internet exploded, and he thought it was cool.
-- SA said that there's a scene at the end of 415 that's

like 3-1/2 to 4 minutes long and that, except for cuts away for certain montage-type things, the camera never cuts off Oliver. "It's really cool."

-- In response to fan question about whether he would save Thea or Felicity if both are about to die and he can save only one, SA said that he'd find a third option.
-- In response to fan question about SA and EBR doing a promised video for winning MTV Ship of the Year, SA said: "Emily and I have not been working together that much recently." (Audience noticeably reacts)
-- In response to fan asking why the writers want him to be shirtless so much, SA said: "When you're older, you'll understand."  He also said that if it didn't take so much time making up his scars and tattoos, he'd be shirtless all the time. More seriously, he said that they're a "road map" of where Oliver's been, so it's an important part of his character.
-- In response to fan question, SA's favorite scene in S3 was when he lost to Ra's.  He then praised the Arrow crew.
-- In response to fan asking who and when they'll add a new member of Team Arrow, SA said:

"We get a honorary member of Team Arrow with superpowers in episode 15."

-- There's a whole sequence with StarDust crashing the panel, presenting SA with his WWE Slammy Award, and throwing a glass of water in SA's face.
-- Then Robbie Amell appeared and joined the panel.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

No, I think he was saying that the planned flashbacks will end after 5 years, so there's a lot of that flashback story that they have to cram into the remaining year-and-a-half.  Then, I assume, the show will continue past 5 years but just without the island flashbacks.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

-- In response to complaints about Oliver not killing Malcolm, SA: "Good decisions make for bad television... Bad decisions, good television."

Sometimes bad decisions also make for bad television. But then I don't think they see it that way. 

• Love 17

No, for the flashbacks mention I remember seeing his face and him talking about flashbacks, so I think it was an interview or clip? not an article. I remember him hinting at bratva and mentioning Anatoli might come back possibly at the very end of this season.