Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Isn't this a concession from MG that the Laurel character doesn't work?   If even her fans say that she is treated badly as a character, imagine what the non-fans say.  That's a super strange thing for a showrunner to admit on social media.   I'm not going to speculate that she is the death (it still just seems incredibly unlikely), but this is a much different posture from MG than in the past.   

I don't think so. The only thing that tweet proved was that MG is clueless to what works/doesn't work on his own show, and also audience perception. 

Isn't this a concession from MG that the Laurel character doesn't work?   If even her fans say that she is treated badly as a character, imagine what the non-fans say.  That's a super strange thing for a showrunner to admit on social media.   I'm not going to speculate that she is the death (it still just seems incredibly unlikely), but this is a much different posture from MG than in the past.   

Nope.  It's a statement that everyone who thinks Laurel doesn't work (haters, supporters, etc) are wrong to criticize.  Laurel is great and being used perfectly in the story...we just don't get it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 12

I think this is more that this is a dude who truly cannot handle criticism, so he's reverse psychology passive-aggressively saying that if people would stop with the ~mean Laurel questions, he'd answer more happy positive questions about her.

...Please everyone double down on the mean questions.

• Love 7

Well, he cannot very well say, "we treat her this way because most people don't care" and even though I am not her biggest fan, I do think that they tried their best to make her somewhat more of a member of the team than ever before. I do believe that they gave it some thought but she just didn't click with many and still doesn't but at some point throwing more at the wall won't help your cause either. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 8

Well, he cannot very well say, "we treat her this way because most people don't care" and even though I am not her biggest fan, I do think that they tried their best to make her somewhat more of a member of the team than ever before. I do believe that they gave it some thought but she just didn't click with many and still doesn't but at some point throwing more at the wall won't help your cause either. 

While this is very much true, Marc just needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes.He didn't have to respond to that person. 

And i really do wonder why Laurel fans are constantly telling the EPs she's not good enough and that the writers need to write her better... That just gives them more incentive to write her off the show because it's clear no one is enjoying the character, even the fans. 

• Love 2

And i really do wonder why Laurel fans are constantly telling the EPs she's not good enough and that the writers need to write her better... That just gives them more incentive to write her off the show because it's clear no one is enjoying the character, even the fans. 

True! Although I sometimes do feel that they only feel she is treated unfairly because she is not the main love interest. Because everything else (apart from being a metahuman) they more or less let her have. 

• Love 5

True! Although I sometimes do feel that they only feel she is treated unfairly because she is not the main love interest. Because everything else (apart from being a metahuman) they more or less let her have. 

It's all in the phrasing tbh

"Why do you hate Laurel? You need to write her better" - Implies that no one, not even her fans are enjoying her because they, too, think that Laurel's a poor character that needs to be written better...

"I love Laurel, I hope we get to see a lot more of her in action in the episodes to come"  - implies that she has fans, and that they want to see more of her, and showing that a lot of fans have a vested interest in the character might motivate the show to actually give a damn about the character

• Love 4

(let's try to avoid Cranky Babies, peeps)

Speaking of cranky babies, MG's Tumblr/Twitter replies this week! He seems...agitated. Not sure why he even picked this week to pop up again after being relatively quiet for awhile--sweeps maybe? But anyway, I prefer his silence, and if not, then I'd personally prefer that he simply ignore the people who send him asks/@s that are rude, incomprehensible, repetitive, etc. He gets hundreds of questions, I'm sure. Don't reward the jerks by responding to them, and don't use people's rudeness as a distraction from your own shitty choices.

• Love 15

I do have to wonder if MG completely disregards complaints about the way Laurel is treated because he just figures those people are actually upset that they're not getting a BC/GA romantic pairing. It reminds me of complaints about Ray. We weren't angry that Ray was a creepy stalker who was overshadowing Felicity's storyline. No, we were actually upset because he was an Olicity roadblock. Sure sure, MG.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 6

I do have to wonder if MG completely disregards complaints about the way Laurel is treated because he just figures those people are actually upset that they're not getting a BC/GA romantic pairing. It reminds me of complaints about Ray. We weren't angry that Ray was a creepy stalker who was overshadowing Felicity's storyline. No, we were actually upset because he was an Olicity roadblock. Sure sure, MG.

You know what makes me crankier than cranky baby? That I do think a huge part of it is MG dismissing the criticism because it's "shipper bias". It's the idea that if someone happens to hate Palmer BECAUSE he's a cockblock, that means that person is a lesser fan [because shipping is a silly fangirl thing], so their reaction to the show should not be taken seriously. It's somehow invalid opinion if it's based on 'shipping.

The same happens with Laurel too, the idea that she's hated because of shipping. I ask: so what if she is? So what if people hated Palmer because people have watched tv before and can spot ship stalling from a mile away? It's a completely valid way to relate to serialized fiction.

There isn't a "proper" way to watch tv, and to react to characters, which imo is MG's largest mistake. He thinks there is.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 15

Maybe MG is back because he's finished his scripts for LoT and h as a bit of free time now.

We do, but all the Laurel questions I get are "Why are you treating Laurel so badly?" and I don't accept the premise.

What about the "why is Laurel still on the show?" questions?

Opposing view but I can believe that MG thinks they are treating Laurel well.  They've given her a bunch of independent storylines like Ted Grant or her addiction arc, they've put her logically (in their eyes) into the black leather suit and have her out fighting with Team Arrow, and now she's not only an ADA but she's been a hero bringing Sara back from her grave.  In their eyes, these are all wonderful things.

I think it would take someone several steps back, Berlanti maybe, to put together the thinking that "we've done all these things for Laurel but not even her fans are satisfied". MG and AK are too close and too invested in the Black Canary.

But I don't see DC or the CW intervening. There's more than enough going on in the show to keep people watching even if they don't like Laurel.

• Love 5

(let's try to avoid Cranky Babies, peeps)

Speaking of cranky babies, MG's Tumblr/Twitter replies this week! He seems...agitated. Not sure why he even picked this week to pop up again after being relatively quiet for awhile--sweeps maybe? But anyway, I prefer his silence, and if not, then I'd personally prefer that he simply ignore the people who send him asks/@s that are rude, incomprehensible, repetitive, etc. He gets hundreds of questions, I'm sure. Don't reward the jerks by responding to them, and don't use people's rudeness as a distraction from your own shitty choices.

I agree that him popping up is just a sigh that he had a moment to breath during his duties for both Arrow and LoT.  LoT was up to it's third aired episode.  There wasn't anymore real launching duties to do so it's just down to the regular show running stuff and for him that includes getting his kicks messing with the fan's heads on Tumblr. 

Still cracks my up/drives me crazy that I am repeatedly told on the site that shall not be named that MG is nothing more than Olicity's number one fan and there to do whatever Felicity's fans ask of him. 

Still cracks my up/drives me crazy that I am repeatedly told on the site that shall not be named that MG is nothing more than Olicity's number one fan and there to do whatever Felicity's fans ask of him.

I know I certainly didn't ask for the Baby Mama ridiculousness nor Oliver lying to Felicity about it.

• Love 1

Hmm. Sounds like the same logic that insists tumblr writes the show. How is that even possible? I don't understand. LOL.

Nah, her being the main love interest has little to do with it. We just want her written better and treated with more respect. 

• Love 1

Hmm. Sounds like the same logic that insists tumblr writes the show. How is that even possible? I don't understand. LOL.

He does most of his interacting (it seems at least) on Tumblr so it really is the exact same argument. 

If it weren't for Laurel, Iris would probably be a lot worse off then she is. At least Iris didn't have to go through the ridiculousness like Laurel did when Tommy died. But this is Arrow and not The Flash so in the end it doesn't matter.  

Iris suffers the most insidious kind of abuse, they ignore her. 

I think Laurel having such a tough back story (comes to the story hating the main character for very good reasons) is what saved Iris from that same sort of thing but Flash has a whole other level of weird girls only exist  to elevate or serve the guy's stories or feelings thing going on normally that is all it's own mess.  It's not as flashy, but more disturbing in the long run I think. 

• Love 5

JB posts video clip of him and KL dancing:
https://www.facebook.com/JohnBarrowmanOfficial/videos/1117937301550024/

JB responds to fan complaint:

Ryan G Reynolds ‏@TheGenuineRyan  10h10 hours ago West Virginia, USA
@Team_Barrowman @ARROWwriters it makes no sense.  Malcolm is family minded if nothing else...bringing in Oliver's son makes 0 sense
John Barrowman MBE ‏@Team_Barrowman
. @TheGenuineRyan @ARROWwriters is he acting on emotion or thinking it through. One is better than the other. Keep watching . Jb
9:41 PM - 10 Feb 2016

https://twitter.com/Team_Barrowman/status/697656690510950400

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I was on twitter last night and Arrow trended. It started trending toward the end of the episode after Olicity proposal for the third time. lol

Yeah, it also trended in the U.S. during the later part of the West Coast airing. But it was spotty, not consistent like it was during 4x10 and 4x11 when it trended pretty much during the entire East Coast airing and then spilled over into West Coast broadcast. 

• Love 1

Yeah, it also trended in the U.S. during the later part of the West Coast airing. But it was spotty, not consistent like it was during 4x10 and 4x11 when it trended pretty much during the entire East Coast airing and then spilled over into West Coast broadcast. 

Yeah. A lot of the people I follow were not tweeting during the early parts of the episode other than to complain about the flashbacks and sighing about LoA storyline in season 4. The real tweets happen when Malcolm name dropped baby name to DD and Olicity's wedding being moved forward. 

Nothing makes me more happy than the fact that out of everything from episode 413, Felicity's arc with her father received the most positive buzz, and that was achieved with only FOUR scenes. Not only that but reviewers were disappointed that we didn't get to see more. Hope the EPs and the writers take note of that. So I call this a win in my books. 

• Love 17

Katie Cassidy canceled Dallas Con

#‎GuestNews‬ Katie Cassidy has postponed her appearance due to extended Arrow filming this weekend. She’s sorry to miss Fan Days and is working with her agent to make it up to fans. John Barrowman’s travel is also delayed due to filming but he will be arriving (just in time!) for his photo-ops on Saturday.

David Ramsey will be stepping in to Katie’s Q&A Panel timeslot and will also join the Arrow trio photo-op! Unused Katie Cassidy single photo-ops will be automatically refunded after the show or you may use it as a credit towards a different photo-op. Look for an email from Epic Photo Ops detailing your options.

Stephen Amell’s appearance is unaffected - nothing stops the Green Arrow!

https://www.facebook.com/DallasComicCon/?target_post=1048453075228458

EBR's top looks like the same one from 4x06. I'm glad they are bringing it back because black looks good on her.

It looks kind of like Laurel's BC undershirt, haha.

ETA: I don't think it's actually Laurel's BC undershirt.

Edited by apinknightmare

It looks kind of like Laurel's BC undershirt, haha.

ETA: I don't think it's actually Laurel's BC undershirt.

I had the same thought. lol

Next Time on Arrow: .Felicity goes undercover as The Black Canary...Then she gets under covers with The Green Arrow!

• Love 2