Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

He seems to really want to come back. This coupled with his sad tweet about not going to SDCC 2015 and his sad tweets post filming 319 makes me call BullShit on Berlanti saying they only had CH for 2 years and always new he'd be leaving at the end of S3.

I'd sooner buy contract negotiation/demand for more money or something else that broke down between Berlanti Co. and Colton's people.

I've wondered how much of Colton leaving the show is because Thea and Laurel were suiting up. Too many masks? I know, I know that doesn't sound like something Arrow would be concerned with. The cast did feel bloated last season.

If anything, they wanted Thea to mask up and decided to have her take Roys place since all the mask characters have done so as homage to someone that came before them. The cast they had last season was a pretty normal size, the writers just didn't know how handle it that well. 

I've wondered how much of Colton leaving the show is because Thea and Laurel were suiting up. Too many masks? I know, I know that doesn't sound like something Arrow would be concerned with. The cast did feel bloated last season.

It's possible it came down to a decision between Thea and Roy but, they didn't need to go that way. There is so much history between Oliver/Roy in the comics they could have easily explored the break up and Roy moving on in S4 while still putting Thea in the suit.

There was also that rumor last year from that comic spoiler site. IIRC it was something about WB taking another character away from Arrow because of Movie plans. Many suspected a Red Hood/Red Arrow movie and that was why Arrow lost Roy/Arsenal. I guess of Roy continues to visit but doesn't suit up it's quite possible.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Which is why it's probably a good idea to trim the cast to a number where everybody gets a decent chance at a solid story line. Just a thought.

The writers just need to learn how to handle everyone better. They have 42mins an episode, that is more then enough time for 5 full time characters while Quentin/Malcolm take up the least amount of time a season.

It's possible it came down to a decision between Thea and Roy but, they didn't need to go that way. There is so much history between Oliver/Roy in the comics they could have easily explored the break up and Roy moving on in S4 while still putting Thea in the suit.

There was also that rumor last year from that comic spoiler site. IIRC it was something about WB taking another character away from Arrow because of Movie plans. Many suspected a Red Hood/Red Arrow movie and that was why Arrow lost Roy/Arsenal. I guess of Roy continues to visit but doesn't suit up it's quite possible.

I am a bit surprised that they didn't explore a dramatic break up between Oliver/Roy. Would've been better then "killing" him off. Even have him get recruited by Argus or something would've been good.

Brick wasn't my complaint, it was how they wove the story around him and then in the end made taking him down a lot easier than it should have been.  I mean, this guy was supposed to be soooo scary the local government just said, sure, you can have the glades, we won't even try to stop you. 

I can accept magic and flying suits easier than a US city ceding control of the city to a criminal (publically) and not even calling in the National Guard or something.  It just wouldn't happen.  A few lives of city leaders shouldn't have been enough to keep them out.  Brick should have had a way to threaten all the other citizens (like with missiles) before the city then pretended to give him what he wanted while they got back up from the Feds. 

Brick gets tarnished with the crap storyline.  Makes it hard to judge how "good" a bad guy he was or wasn't.

It would literally never ever happen. Decisions re the National Guard are for the governor, not a mayor (also a problem with the Mirakuru soldier-storyline in S2). And if the governor did nothing, the President would send in federal marshals/FBI/ATF/other various acronymed federal agencies. In some cases the President can send in the Guard if the governor doesn't, see, e.g., George Wallace. I agree, I found that so much more unbelievable than the LP, simply because unlike the LP it's supposedly a situation grounded in reality, and it's absolutely not one iota realistic. It was flat-out crazy. They should have had the mayor just tell her own people they'd be quietly pulling back from the Glades and not patrolling it much.

• Love 1

Congratulations to David Nutter, director of the Arrow pilot also the Flash pilot and the Fastest Man Alive episode), who just won an Emmy for an episode of Game of Thrones.

(Who said only hacks work on TV?)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

From the Felicity Smoak thread:

Usually you introduce them on the show to introduce them to the general audience, doesn't have to be with a specific character each time. People will watch the show with or without them being introduced through Felicity.
To me it is obvious that MG and co. just don't like to switch things up. They use Cisco the same way they use Felicity but for different things. It already annoyed me that they had Cisco name Mari alter ego Vixen.

I wanted to address this point, largely because I sense we're going to be discussing it again in the first nine episodes of Arrow.

The problem is, historically, Hollywood hasn't agreed with you. With a few notable exceptions like Joey and Frasier, which let regulars continue into a new show, historically, characters/shows planned for spinoffs were usually deliberately put into scenes with fan favorites (or at least perceived fan favorites, back in the days when Hollywood basically guessed at this by comparing the sizes of the piles of fan mail.) The popular characters were then often brought in the first five episodes of the spinoff. See, for instance, Maude, Knots Landing, Benson, The Finder, Angel, Laverne & Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Empty Nest, Private Practice, Rhoda, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Stargate; Altantis, Stargate: Universe and probably others I'm forgetting. Wings occasionally brought over some of the fan favorites from Cheers to boost ratings.

I don't think this is a failsafe - I mean, that list has Finder and Stargate Universe.  But it did produce some unquestioned major hits (Laverne & Shirley, Benson) and long running shows (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and, god help us, Knots Landing). So I see what's happening on Arrow and Flash not so much as MG and co not wanting to switch things up - they've definitely switched things up, remember the days when Arrow wasn't going to have any superpowers at all? Those days - but as simply trying to follow that formula.

And, to be fair to him and the Arrowverse producers, I think it became a formula for a reason. I may have hated the Star Wars prequels ("may have" may not be the right phrase here) and sworn off Star Wars forever and ever, but when Disney put Chewie and Han Solo at the end of the new Star Wars trailer, I knew I was going to get sucked into buying a ticket. 

With Cisco naming Vixen - well, Cisco's naming everyone. I'm not reading that much into it other than a nice nod to Flash fans, since Flash's success helped greenlight Vixen.

• Love 7

Who in Angel and Greys were paird with "fan favorites"? Angel was brought in as a short term love interest before being upped to a regular and then Joss seeing how David could carry his own show during season 2 where his screen time flipped to spending half the season with the bad guys. Cordelia spent most of her time with Xander and the gang in general. Oz/Buffy/Faith/Willow/Spike all crossed over to Angel. Addison started off the wife of Derrick and wasn't brought in with the intention of being spun off. Maude was made Ediths cousin and only appeared in 2 episodes before getting her own show. Florida was a full fledged character before getting her spin off and she spent most of her time with Maude who was the main character of the show.

If anything majority of these characters became fan favorites of their own accord and were spun off since it was believed they could carry their own show. They weren't paired with anyone specific to warm the audience to them.

And Cisco naming everyone is already old after 1 season.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Who in Angel and Greys were paird with "fan favorites"? Angel was brought in as a short term love interest before being upped to a regular and then Joss seeing how David could carry his own show during season 2 where his screen time flipped to spending half the season with the bad guys. Cordelia spent most of her time with Xander and the gang in general. Oz/Buffy/Faith/Willow/Spike all crossed over to Angel. Addison started off the wife of Derrick and wasn't brought in with the intention of being spun off. Maude was made Ediths cousin and only appeared in 2 episodes before getting her own show. Florida was a full fledged character before getting her spin off and she spent most of her time with Maude who was the main character of the show.

We're getting a bit off track here, but if I understand this, you're disagreeing with three of the 13 shows I listed, in a not comprehensive list. Let's look at specifics:

1. Maude is a classic example of what I am talking about: a character brought in for two episodes (like Barry Allen on Arrow) put into scenes with fan favorite Archie Bunker, and then sent off to her own show. 

2. Angel paired up Angel with main character and fan favorite Buffy. He was then sent off to his own spinoff, with fan favorite Cordelia. Within the first ten episodes, fan favorites Oz, Buffy and Spike all visited.

3. Addison was paired up with Derek, aka "McDreamy." After Private Practice's short nine episode first season, Derek was brought over in the second season. I think any major discussion of Derek's popularity/detractors belongs over on Grey's Anatomy, but he was one of the leads when Grey's was one of the top ten shows in the U.S.

I'm also going to suggest dropping this topic and/or moving it to the Small Talk thread, since this part isn't about Arrow's production issues.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 1

I'm not going to go through every single show to try to make a point when you already listed shows that brought in characters, developed them and decided to spin them off after the fact, that did not pair them with fan favorites just to warm them up to the audience. Just by Buffy you are saying that every character was a fan favorite. Archie/Buffy alone were the main characters of their show. Derek was Addisons ex-husband so bringing him to his ex-wives show is kind of a no brainer over every other character outside of McSteamy.

I never had a problem introducing characters on Arrow to set them up to spin them off.

Edited by Primal Slayer

More CH from this weekend's AsiaPOP Comic Con...

Colton Haynes a.k.a Roy Harper / Arsenal in AsiaPOP Comicon Manila 2015
Published on Sep 20, 2015, by Gian Lucero

Colton Haynes sings, dances, and gives "love advice" to Filipino fans
Published on Sep 20, 2015, by Jenriel Lagat

Congratulations to David Nutter, director of the Arrow pilot also the Flash pilot and the Fastest Man Alive episode), who just won an Emmy for an episode of Game of Thrones.

(Who said only hacks work on TV?)

I remember David Nutter from his directing/producing several episodes of The X-Files.  I think he also did the pilot of Dark Angel.

Edited by tv echo

So while I agree that fans have often made nicer looking stuff than the CW produces, it's not ideal to put it on fans to create a bunch of free work and then "reward" only one of them with the win (and maybe a prize of some sort). It tells the CW they don't need to employ photographers, designers, etc., because fans will do all their work for them for free.

I work in an area where often amateurs feel they can do as good a job as professional so I agree, it's not a good idea to farm things out to fans for free when talented professionals are available.  My comment was facetious rather than serious.  But much of the stuff that the CW pr department puts out is embarrassingly bad.  There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

mmm.. didn't Canada only finally became a fully fledged independent country, separating itself from the UK union, around that time?Official

Official independence 1867 (150 year birthday coming up); constitution signed 1982 (except not by Quebec)..

• Love 1

I work in an area where often amateurs feel they can do as good a job as professional so I agree, it's not a good idea to farm things out to fans for free when talented professionals are available.  My comment was facetious rather than serious.  But much of the stuff that the CW pr department puts out is embarrassingly bad.  There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

Oh, I didn't even really mean to make the distinction between amateur/professional, except insofar as that if an "amateur" creates work nice enough for the CW to want to use it for their marketing purposes, then they deserve to be paid and would then become a professional. (Which is great, because it tells that person that their talent and work has value!) (TBH, I wouldn't be up-in-arms if they did a one-off contest, as long as it didn't become a trend to exploit fan artists that way.)

My point was more that--to answer @BkWurm1's question about instances where the project won't be done at all unless fans would do it: if there is work to be done (Season 4 poster), but The CW has decided not to do it, then it's probably due to a lack of resources (money, talent, staff time, or a combo of the three). My response is that if they won't pay for it, then they can't have it. Straight up. If that work cannot be completed in-house, then the answer is to hire a freelancer/agency to do the work for you (as @dcinmb said above, this is probably the norm). I don't care if that freelancer is a fan/amateur, just as long as they are paid from the beginning and no other artists are simultaneously giving away their time and work for free. (I mean, they are owned by CBS/WB; it's not like they're a non-profit org that needs help. The company needs to allocate more resources to marketing if they can't complete the basics.)

• Love 5

It's too short to be a skirt and not have serious danger of showing too much, so I'm quasi-okay with it being a onesie.  It's a nice color.  I mean, I basically hate it, but I hate all her outfits, so compared to,say, the ice dancer dress, it's okay. 

I do love her hair, though.

Do they get to keep all the money for the photos or does the organization hosting the event get a portion?  Just curious.

I have no idea. I believe actors get a flat rate for appearing either way since it is a nice little money maker which would explain why so many keep attending.

They get a flat rate and some of the autograph/photo op money. It's a nice deal for them. For us it cost well over $100 to attend the con and meet 1 actor/actress. Having gone a long time ago when autographs were free it's not as tempting to go unless it's someone I really want to meet.  No where will I get Joss Whedon's autograph for free anymore (granted this was pre-Avengers, but he was still a big name in Con circles), now it costs an arm and a leg to get an autograph or photo. 

I talked to some of the artists who are upset about the high prices as well, because it means people spending less or no money on artwork so they can meet their favorite celeb. 

Edited by Sakura12

That first picture of Sara and Laural. - I know it's not at all intended but that look on Laurel's face translates to my mind as sarcastic and snide. No wonder I'm always suspicious of her motives. I'm not trying to read in anything, it's just what I see and have seen from the start.