Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

All of those folks had successful careers AFTER their WB shows ended, though.

I can see everyone on Arrow having a good career after their contracts with the CW are done. I don't see ANYONE AT ALL in the entire CW roster deciding to quit their current gig to ~pursue something bigger~, because there's nobody there with that kind of star power. [With the possible exception of Gina Rodriguez IF she gets the SW gig.]

Stephen gave up the indie movie with Susan Sarandon for TMNT, so he was the one who put himself in the typecast position. I see that as him actively pursuing the action star thing. He wants to be Tom Cruise, which, *ewwww*, but bless him.

But big action hero is what pays the big bucks these days AND gets you the largest visibility, and the means to big names [specially white male big names] to do smaller/vanity projects. So I get it.

I can see TNMT2 as be a strategical move career wise. Get a few commercial successes under your belt. And then start to do indies if they seem good. I think Susan Sarandon is a phenomenal actress, but I can't really recall a movie she did in the last 5 or so years that elevated her status or one of her co-stars. SA has the looks & talent to do good action movies, he would be dumb to pass up the opportunity to show that in a movie that millions of people will see around the world to spend time on an indie flick that may not even get a national release.

I am a huge Tom Cruise film fan (sorry, not sorry). His filmography shows versatility. Its not all action. He's got just about every genre there. And he's gotten critical acclaim & serious award nominations. But he does knows what his bread & butter is. SA trying to emulate his career trajectory is a smart decision. At the end of the day, Tom Cruise is well paid as both an actor & producer. He's more than just a pretty face or action star. Professionally, I feel like he is respected for what he brings to the table. Personal life is questionable at times. But Tom Cruise is a very bankable talent.

• Love 5

Frozen is animated and most kids don't know who Kristen Bell is, they know who Anna is. 

If we are just talking steady careers over successful movie careers than that is a different story. But from what I gathered we were talking about how many CW/WB actors have been able to transition to movie careers. Michelle Williams is the only one in that case. Plenty of them have had steady TV careers. But most of them were hoping for steady movie careers and that didn't happen. 

If you are paying 40 to 100+ dollars for a picture, I would hope they would do any reasonable pose with you. 

Edited by Sakura12

My favoritest post-WB career is Brendan Fehr having SUPER RANDO cameos in X-Men: First Class and Guardians of the Galaxy.

yep and I remember him and Heigel both bitching about having to come back to Roswell S3 after UPN rescued it from Cancellation. My favorite part was seeing him show up on CSI Miami in a bit recurring role while the actor that played Jessie (who was hated on Roswell) had a staring/regular series gig.

• Love 2

Blake Lively's a pretty recent CW success story. Age of Adaline did well and apparently she's shooting three movies in a row; that Marc Forster drama where she plays a blind lady who regains her sight, the next Woody Allen movie with Kristen Stewart, and she's allegedly attached to some shark drama that actually sounds pretty decent.

I can't really see anyone from Arrow making it big in movies but I'm sure all of the current regulars will work steadily in television for a while.

Edited by manbearpig

My favoritest post-WB career is Brendan Fehr having SUPER RANDO cameos in X-Men: First Class and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I love his random bit parts as I was a fairly big M&M shipper back in the day. 

Jensen Ackles' career baffles me the most. He's hot and can act well enough. I know he tested for Captain America; I wish Marvel would grab him while he's in his prime. (I think he could be a good Matt Fraction Hawkeye, but Renner's got that character covered. Maybe Chase if they ever do Runaways.) But a steady income for the past 10 years as an actor is nothing to downplay. Actors I meet would kill for that.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 4

Just out of curiosity, how much do CW stars get paid per episode? It can't be as high as one of the major networks, but it's probably still a lot for the actual star of the show, right? Or do they go by status of the actors in the cast?

Just out of curiosity, how much do CW stars get paid per episode? It can't be as high as one of the major networks, but it's probably still a lot for the actual star of the show, right? Or do they go by status of the actors in the cast?

Status count, yes. For example, Megan Follows makes more money than anyone else on Reign: 37k per episode in the 2013-2014 season. Adelaide Kane made 30k.

Stephen Amell was also rumored to make 30k per episode back in S1. No idea if it changed.

Most CW/WB actors/actresses have struggled to transition to major movies, then end up struggling to find a tv show again. The ones that found moderated success is because they stuck to doing another TV show.

Most TV actors struggle and never do make the transition into movies. No matter how successful their TV show was.

From the last 20 years the only person that comes to my mind who have successfully and fully made this transition is George Clooney. Chris Pratt is still too new to the transition for us to know if he can make it (many before him had major roles and than disappeared once their franchise lost the interest among audience) lets check with CP again in 10 years, when Marvel phase 3 is over and done with.

I do think SA has what it takes, like someone said he has the talent and ambition.. the problem is that he seems to choose parts or take part of things that are just gonna continue to type cast him as an action actor or someone who is only interested in action.. and well look at all the guys from the 80's and 90's... I would have preferred to see him do the indie movie (or something that is so different than his role on Arrow, something that will make casting directors stop and think "well yes he's on the CW, but it look like he has range, maybe we should cast him". Talent and Ambition are great and can get you far, but only as far as how good or bad the script it. if you're a terrible actor you can easily screw a really good script, but a bad script does no favors even for a good actor and the actor can only maybe manage to save the script to a certain degree (case and point Batman & Robin) and it will only be those super talented actors who are capable of making a bad script sound kind of good.

And of course working with the right director.

So yea SA can make it into movies if he so chooses, he just needs to, imo, not do movies like TMNT (which is gonna suck and we all know that). who knows maybe that will be Stephen "Batman & Robin", on paper the part look awesome but in reality it mediocre at best. Clooney does credit B&R as his personal professional wake up call to start going after better scripts.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

Status count, yes. For example, Megan Follows makes more money than anyone else on Reign: 37k per episode in the 2013-2014 season. Adelaide Kane made 30k.

Stephen Amell was also rumored to make 30k per episode back in S1. No idea if it changed.

I've read that J2 make upwards of $150,000 per episode.  JA makes a bit more for the episodes he directs.  I don't know if that's entirely acurate but I can believe it's over $100K given the length of time they've been with SPN.

Edited by catrox14

Love those BTS pics!

Not to discredit any of their talent - but both George Clooney & Blake Lively are Hollywood legacies & have family connections. I think George Clooney has made good career choices & is talented. I think Blake Lively is hit or miss, but is beautiful enough that she will get roles regardless of talent.

I've read that J2 make upwards of $150,000 per episode. JA makes a bit more for the episodes he directs. I don't know if that's entirely acurate but I can believe it's over $100K given the length of time they've been with SPN.

Responding in BTS thread

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I've read that J2 make upwards of $150,000 per episode. JA makes a bit more for the episodes he directs. I don't know if that's entirely acurate but I can believe it's over $100K given the length of time they've been with SPN.

IIRC correctly, by the end of Smallville Tom Welling was making close to $200K per episode, plus whatever he got for the Producer credit. No doubt SA could eventually get that high (150-200) if he sticks around, $3.5 Million a year of guaranteed money is nothing to sneeze at.
  • Love 3

I think it takes a combination of talent (must be able to act), natural on-screen charisma (some tv actors just don't translate well to the big screen), and a lot of luck (right movie project) to make a successful transition from TV to movie stardom.  Look at Tom Hanks - who would've thought that guy on Bosom Buddies would end up winning multiple Oscars?

I think SA is a good actor who's often underrated.  But I'm unsure of his chances for big movie success as yet.  I think I would need to see how he comes across on the big screen in TMNT2.  I think EBR is playing it smart by starting with a small role in a prestigious movie with good movie actors like Brooklyn.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Nice tweets from BR and SA (esp. liked BR's hashtag)...

Brandon Routh ‏@BrandonJRouth
Thanks @amellywood! You & your whole cast/crew made this possible for all of us.
#TheHouseThatArrowBuilt
Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood
Congratulations to @caitylotz, @BrandonJRouth, @CiaraRenee8 and all the Legends on Day 1 of your pilot.
11:24 AM - 9 Sep 2015

https://twitter.com/BrandonJRouth/status/641678626010759168

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I didn't know this.  Spill, please.

There isn't really much to spill (at least that I know). SA talked about it in his Girl on Guy interview, about how terrible he was in that movie, and how they had to dub his voice. It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and he had invited his friends and family, haha. I can't recall if he knew he was dubbed before hand - he might not have mentioned.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

IIRC correctly, by the end of Smallville Tom Welling was making close to $200K per episode, plus whatever he got for the Producer credit. No doubt SA could eventually get that high (150-200) if he sticks around, $3.5 Million a year of guaranteed money is nothing to sneeze at.

Yup. And if he has time off to do more things during hiatus, why not stay with the show longer?  I don't think there is a lack of money for the stars of long running shows and that matters especially when you have children to support. 

I'm sure there are a lot of people who think that. 

Oliver just doesn't seem to be one of them.

He was originally, saying that Felicity was "practically an honorary member of the team already" when he asked her to join. That means the real team at the time was actually just Oliver and Diggle as far as he was concerned. His mindset just got retconned like a ton of other things to make Felicity more significant to him than she was at first.

He was originally, saying that Felicity was "practically an honorary member of the team already" when he asked her to join. That means the real team at the time was actually just Oliver and Diggle as far as he was concerned. His mindset just got retconned like a ton of other things to make Felicity more significant to him than she was at first.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better. 

• Love 13

What I think is interesting about who joined the team when is that Oliver asked Diggle to join because he couldn't do it alone, and he asked Felicity to join (after already having checked her out) because he needed her help.  Everyone after that (Roy, Sara, Laurel, Ray, Thea) joined because they wanted to more or less rather than Oliver asking them because there was a need to be filled.  Roy joined because he wanted to help the Hood and then got mirakuru'ed; Sara joined because she was Oliver's friend, and the others because they were already doing vigilante stuff.

There isn't really much to spill (at least that I know). SA talked about it in his Girl on Guy interview, about how terrible he was in that movie, and how they had to dub his voice. It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and he had invited his friends and family, haha. I can't recall if he knew he was dubbed before hand - he might not have mentioned.

I like that story because it shows a realistic assessment of himself rather than the narcissism so many celebrities have.  He's willing to make a joke on himself, and let people know he's not perfect.

• Love 3