Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

After rewatching Brave & Bold last night, totally agree. On the upside, we can always get Boomerang back... Whereas that particular Ras is no more, despite never really explaining to us how he knew the best gossip in town & a fabulous interior designer :)

RIP Gossip Ghul

• Love 5

Finally, a hint of the Downton Abbey/Arrow crossover we all desperately need.  

(Come on; you all want to see Oliver pointing a bow at Lord Grantham and Lady Mary while yelling, "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS ESTATE!" Admit it!)

• Love 10

Oliver and Felicity go to the White House and accidentally on purpose kill Fitz for being the worst at everything ever. Olivia Pope comes up with a sadstory about how the prez had a brain aneurism or something and everyone's happy. It writes itself, that crossover.

• Love 6

Finally, a hint of the Downton Abbey/Arrow crossover we all desperately need.  

(Come on; you all want to see Oliver pointing a bow at Lord Grantham and Lady Mary while yelling, "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS ESTATE!" Admit it!)

I would watch the hell out of that! LOL

• Love 3

I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on Willa hitting the bullseye. Was that hot for anyone else? No?

Also I now want to add her to the other on screen archers Stephen wants to challenge (or did). 

Or just her and Stephen.

(edited)

Finally, a hint of the Downton Abbey/Arrow crossover we all desperately need.

I too would watch the hell out of that...

But can we LP Matthew then please? Or maybe even bring Barry along so we can wormhole him back.

I'd say bring Sybil back too but I don't want to undo that acting performance during her death sequence. Still one ohe best seizures I've ever witnessed on screen.

ETA  - Thanks Morrigan2575!!

ETA2 - MG couldn't handle the spoiler twists & gotchas of Scandal. I think he would far to overwhelmed & faint on the spot.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on Willa hitting the bullseye. Was that hot for anyone else? No?

Also I now want to add her to the other on screen archers Stephen wants to challenge (or did). 

Or just her and Stephen.

I once got a bullseye shooting an arrow. All my friends and family and the instructor were very impressed until I confessed I was aiming at the other target.

So that was what I was looking for as I rewatched the video, the other target, lol.

• Love 3
(edited)
ArrowWritersRoom ‏@ARROWwriters  14h14 hours ago

.@lordmesa Here's what #ArrowPostProduction did with all your awesome art! #WallOfGreatness https://instagram.com/p/5QLp1rRoKb/?taken-by=arrowwriters

1172613_1470739439903796_1033591848_n.jp

https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/622160597317234688

ArrowWritersRoom ‏@ARROWwriters  13h13 hours ago

.@lordmesa #ArrowPostProduction also got crazy with the art around the couch! #LeagueOfAssassins #SuicideSquad

CKJeHBTUAAEwrz-.jpg

https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/622163177145413632

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)
Wendy Mericle ‏@MericlesHappen  14h14 hours ago

Thrilled to have the amazing @EchoK and @Alex8Calvert onboard for #ArrowSeason4! #MrTerrific #Anarky @RapaportCasting

https://twitter.com/MericlesHappen/status/622154790903025665

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood  16h16 hours ago

How about a big terrific Green Arrowy welcome to Mr. @EchoK --

#MrTerrific

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/622132332900712448

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

What I hope they achieve in the stunt work for s4 is a balance. I don't mind that he needs to don his proper attire for showdowns. I do miss him fighting in his casual/everyday attire. They need to have his fights be a balance between big showdowns & sudden skirmishes. That s2 stunt sequence where QC is taken over by the arrows was amazing. He fought them and then he jumped out a window to another floor for safety. That was pretty cool. S1 action scenes were just really awesome because it was all about Oliver & less about the masks. Those days have since passed us somewhere in s2.

My hope is that once we get more balance in the characters lives and have them living outside the confines of the foundry, the stunt sequences will once again reflect that balance. Too much of s3 was spent focusing solely on the Arrow mission and not enough about their life outside of it. I don't know if they'll ever get rid of the big showdown in the end of the episodes but they might be able to do more creative things with DD's specialty seeming to be less physical and more psychological/magical warfare. But if OQ is going to have a large presence in the real world this season, than his fights will probably also happen in a more real world presence.

Add to that the scene where Al Owal breaks into the mansion and attacks Oliver and Sara, who fight him dressed in normal clothes - Oliver's wearing a suit, ffs, and he looks awesome.

I'd like there to be a balance - I like the Arrow suit(s) but you're right - the everyday attire fights just emphasise how awesome he really is. Like he told Diggle in season 1 - he doesn't need any of that stuff to kick ass (when he was high as a kite on Vertigo, and couldn't aim).

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 7

Huh, I bought artwork from that same guy!  I bought one Sara and one Bobbi Morse.  Very nice guy so I'm naturally forgetting his name.  If any of you attend cons and see his work, I recommend stopping by to chat for a few minutes even if you don't buy anything.

I don't think it's either? Oliver doesn't have that suit anymore so it can't be a spoiler and he has a new one so they wouldn't do a promo with the old suit because that wouldn't make sense. 

It's probably from the mask orgy promo from a few months ao

• Love 4
(edited)

It's entirely possible he doesn't immediately wear the new suit. Also that doesn't look like the set for the fight club promo. Plus no mentions of "tbt" or "fbf" when Katie posted it.

His old suit is in police custody. Stealing it to wear (or wearing an old extra suit) after Roy faked his death to take the fall for being the Arrow makes no sense.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yay, Marc Guggenheim answered the first question I had the courage to send him!  Boo, he confirms the writers actually have forgotten Oliver's established proficiency with Chinese.

Hello, Marc. Thanks for making yourself so accessible to fans! Regarding Oliver's demonstrated language proficiencies. His time in Hong Kong would have been an obvious spot to acquire these skills (such as his percieved native fluency in Mandarin), but the late season three flashbacks with Akio in the gardens showed only a rudimentary grasp. He is running out of time to develop all the skills he has displayed since the pilot. Was this a narrative goof and are there plans on addressing it?

It wasn’t a narrative goof.  The only language that we’ve really show Oliver have an affinity for is Russian.

Source

Edited by TrueMyth
  • Love 2

What an idiot. It was an actual plot point that he spoke Mandarin so well that the guys in that restaurant said he had to be Chinese, and thus didn't even glance at the two fratboy-looking white guys having dinner.

• Love 5

This sort of thing happens in television a lot, but this is why we have Show Bibles and continuity checkers. It's been established on the show that Oliver is fluent in English, Russian and Mandarin, and at least conversant in Spanish, as well as knowing some phrases of Arabic.

This doesn't even have to be a huge problem. In canon, Oliver spent five months on the island with Shado and Slade after blowing up the military base and before Dr. Ivo showed up. There's no reason why Shado couldn't have been teaching him basic Mandarin during this period. Then, in Hong Kong, explain away Oliver's inability to speak with locals by saying that he learned Mandarin, not Cantonese, but have a throwaway line or two stating that he was also picking up some Cantonese and Japanese while he was there. I realize Mandarin, Cantonese and Japanese are very different from English, but some people do have a gift for languages (not me, other people) and there's no reason why Oliver Queen can't be one of them.

• Love 11

Oliver even mentioned that Shado was teaching him Mandarin. He told Slade something like "I'm sure she'd be happy to teach you, too." I now know why they picked Hong Kong and made the Yamashiros Japanese when they could just have made them Mandarin speakers to perfect his Mandarin...They just totally forgot that he's supposed to speak Mandarin fluently. Totally frigging forgot.

• Love 3

Yay, Marc Guggenheim answered the first question I had the courage to send him! Boo, he confirms the writers actually have forgotten Oliver's established proficiency with Chinese.

Source

Did you only ask him one time? Or several times. Because I've asked him a few questions over time but don't want to be pushy.

Yeah.  I'm kind of hoping enough people will comment/reblog/question him with references on Tumblr so that they can throw something into the narrative about it.  Anything that explains how he gets from not knowing how to say "okay" in 3x16 to being mistaken for a native speaker in 1x16 would be fine.  If the Bratva background isn't happening until season five, then they can totally have him focus on his languages.

I totally don't mind hand-waving when it comes to my comicbook TV shows.  I know it takes 3-7 years in real life of daily practice to become fluent (particularly native level fluent) in a new language as an adult, but I don't expect that on the show.  Still... who is the story continuity editor on this show?  Do they have one?  It's not too late to correct, but it will never happen if MG is unaware of the problem.

Did you only ask him one time? Or several times. Because I've asked him a few questions over time but don't want to be pushy.

That was the first and only time I sent him a question.  I suppose I could have mentioned that he also answered several other questions.  Oops?  I was excited to see my question show up and saddened that I know the show better than the veteran show runner.

Among other answers are a commitment to more shirtless Oliver in season 4, discussion of Vixen, confirmation that Starling City is in the Pacific Northwest, and the info that they have written through episode four of the new season. 

• Love 2

Maybe he makes some new friends in s4 that help reignite his Mandarin teachings from Shado. It is a long boat trip across the ocean to Coast City (or wherever he winds up). I could see him using the time to spiritually reconnect to those that he feels responsible for killing before he teeters off into eternal manpain guilt of earlier seasons. Considering Maseo/Tatsu/Akio were Japanese & they were spending time in Hong Kong where they primarily speak English & Cantonese, perhaps it wasn't the time in s3 to show him honing his Mandarin skills. It is sad the MG forgot that part of the characterization & narrative from s1. Then again, its not the first time he's forgotten something when it comes to Oliver or the show. Perhaps he was missing from those meetings in s1. They really do need to get someone of the creative staff to become the show's historian so little details like this are not lost.

• Love 1

At this point they basically need to rewatch their own show.

Re Vixen, knowing it starts around 3.16, I can't watch it. Because (1) I loathe S3, and (2) you have a chick with mystical animal powers, and Barry, and Cisco who can make ice guns and gold guns and you don't ask them to help fight an old dude with a magic hot tub and swordfighting skills? Come ON.

• Love 1

Mandarin is crazy hard to learn though.  My daughter studied it for 3 years, she and her class even won an award for recitation in Mandarin, and she still barely understands when it is spoken.

• Love 2

Mandarin is crazy hard to learn though.  My daughter studied it for 3 years, she and her class even won an award for recitation in Mandarin, and she still barely understands when it is spoken.

Oh yeah, I handwave the hell out of a lot of his skills. Definitely including learning both Mandarin and Russian. But they have to show us something to back it up, since they're the ones who specifically indicated he speaks like a native speaker.

• Love 1

Does Oliver really need to be fluent though? If he had a good enough understanding of it (hearing not speaking and apparently devolved off screen in his down time) but had the perfect accent and knew the right way to phrase the question, the blind man at the Chinese restaurant could have just assumed he was fluent and a native speaker. I could easily assume that Oliver has an ear for accents without being actually fluent.

• Love 2
(edited)

Mandarin is crazy hard to learn though. My daughter studied it for 3 years, she and her class even won an award for recitation in Mandarin, and she still barely understands when it is spoken.

I don't know if it's that much harder to learn than any other foreign language. For a Westerner, it might be more difficult than the ones based on the Roman alphabet. I definitely know more non-native fluent Mandarin speakers than non-native Russian speakers.

If they wanted to explain Oliver's fluency in Mandarin, they shouldn't have put him in Hong Kong anyway. The majority of the people there speak Cantonese.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
(edited)

Some BTS posts at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

innerangelcrown asked:
Mr Guggenheim, hello! I'm curious about the process of writing episodes for Arrow. So I have 2 questions, hoping it's not the 100 time you have to answer this. How many episodes of Season 4 have already been written? And when is the writing of the episodes for a season usually over for good? I was thinking something like midseason or beginning of season or we keep writing till the very end kind of answer. Thank you very much and thank you for giving us such an amazing show

We’ve currently written four episodes. We generally finish writing scripts by April.
im-mrs-anciso asked:
Have you seen the fan art of Laurel with the legendary fishnets??? It would be awesome if you guys could incorporate them somehow into her costume!!! Pleaseeeee! Can't wait for the kickass premier!

The leather pattern on her legs is a nod to the fishnets.

im-mrs-anciso asked:
MARC! I'm sorry i'm just so effing excited about Ollie's new costume!!!! I just hope you guys could alter Laurel's costume too kind of easter egging at the comics as well. Can't wait to see the Superhero Team Arrow protect Star City! Will you consider this?

I love Black Canary’s current costume.

maybehonestly asked:
What would one need to do to get a writer’s PA position? My skills include sarcasm, giffing, a love of feminism, and being exceptionally good at cooking potatoes in every possible way. (Along with being a recent college grad, a great deal of enthusiasm and an extreme appreciation for hard work).

Your skills pretty much describe the Arrow writing staff…

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Additional new MG posts at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/(also added some new MG posts in the b-t-s thread and comics thread)...

hotsforlaurel asked:
I know you said that Arrow will have a lighter tone in the new season. With that being said, will it stray away from its gritty and dark tone that makes it so separate from the flash?

It will not feel at all like Flash.

felicitysmokinqueen asked:
Hey Marc! Couples of questions: 1) will we see Oliver work?I think he should earn his living, maybe try and get his company back or go for Mayor. 2) Olicity's relationship disagreements, is it all gonna be Oliver's fault like everything was portrayed the past seasons? (Hope not) 3) will we see more of shirtless Oliver, more of Felicity's sexual innuendos on him, maybe kissing each other's scars, also can we have a scene w/felicity taking control & on top like that Isabel/Oliver sex scene?

1) Hmm… define “work”
2) Not everything will be Oliver’s fault.
3) We’re striving for more shirtless Oliver in Season 4.
arrowfan2 asked:
Do you check Arrow's facebook page as a feedback? Comments over there are very different from Twitter or tumblr, but from season 4 spoilers i guess you don't..

I am well aware.

mgnthetiny asked:
Why don't you answer questions on tumblr anymore?? :(

Between Arrow and Legends and all the other stuff I’m writing, something had to give…  :(

smoakandarrow asked:
Marc, since you knew about the Felicity Smoak action figure, I was hoping you'd know if there's a Felicity Smoak Funko Pop figure scheduled for release. I see one for Oliver. I know there was a SDCC exclusive Diggle. But no Felicity? Lots of us keep asking the company but get no reply at all, so I figured maybe you'd know or could find out? Thanks.

I don’t know about Funko, unfortunately.  The Felicity action figure is produced by DC Comics, which I have a bit more of an inside track with… ;)
I didn’t even know about the SDCC exclusive Diggle.

notpmahalem asked:
Where in the world (USA) is Starling City. Comics place it on the west coast, California, tho I read somewhere that the Washington coast was a possibility. But in 309 (I think) we seen the route map Malcolm Merlyn took from Corto Maltese back to Starling, it looked like Starling was in the Midwest up by the lakes. Personally I'm believing west coast, because, hey, the Queen's Gambit, but if you tell me the Midwest I'll believe it Counting down till season 4!

We’ve treated Starling City as being somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

dangerousmakerchaos asked:
Marc, friendly reminder: Felicity cought the bouquet. You know what I mean

I do.

colorlessmindss asked:
Is there a slight chance thea's HIV positive like speedy in the comics

No.

pidanka asked:
Hi Marc, Katie Cassidy just posted pic of her, Stephen (in Arrow suit) and Grant and it confused me, so I hoped you could be so nice and help me out a little. Is it a new thing? Was there shooting of Oliver in Arrow suit this week? I thought old suit is gone for good.. Thank you for your answer and have a nice day. :)

I haven’t seen the photo you’re describing, but it sounds like an old picture.

mgnthetiny asked:
Is the Guggenheim museum in Manhattan named after you??? Hahha kidding but it's a pretty cool place you should check it out sometime :)

Actually, I just went there for the first time back in May.  Pretty amazing. 
And I attended Guggenheim Elementary School.

Edited by tv echo

im-mrs-anciso asked:

Have you seen the fan art of Laurel with the legendary fishnets??? It would be awesome if you guys could incorporate them somehow into her costume!!! Pleaseeeee! Can't wait for the kickass premier!

The leather pattern on her legs is a nod to the fishnets.

That was Sara's BC outfit, not Laurel's
  • Love 6