Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

That picture with the actress that plays Tatsu all dressed in her Kantan mask makes me think she was rather pleased with her outfit (why else would you keep a hot mask on?)  She should be pleased with her entire arc.  I have no complaints about Tatsu.  

• Love 7

Wendy Stanzler posted this pic from the shooting of episode 3x22.

CEbCSnGUIAAZKjx.jpg

Aww! Great photo thanks for sharing, and it looks like the weather was nice for them, which is good with a gruelling scene like that one.

• Love 3

Does this mean she's the next superhero to die?

First Canary and Slade came out. Canary is now dead.

Slade might as well be.(Not a hero though.)

Second : Arsenal came out. He died in show (he is now Jason on the run)

and refused his leathers and gave them up to Thea.

Third: Black Canary: Just saying,

I am not counting Diggle or Felicity because they are not wearing costumes.

• Love 1

That picture with the actress that plays Tatsu all dressed in her Kantan mask makes me think she was rather pleased with her outfit (why else would you keep a hot mask on?)  She should be pleased with her entire arc.  I have no complaints about Tatsu.  

Aww, you almost make me sorry for not watching this season. Badass female characters are my kryptonite. 

Does this mean she's the next superhero to die?

First Canary and Slade came out. Canary is now dead.

Slade might as well be.(Not a hero though.)

Second : Arsenal came out. He died in show (he is now Jason on the run)

and refused his leathers and gave them up to Thea.

Third: Black Canary: Just saying,

I am not counting Diggle or Felicity because they are not wearing costumes.

Black Canary isn't going anywhere but Felicity or Diggle might.

Black Canary isn't going anywhere but Felicity or Diggle might.

I highly doubt the show would kill off fan and critic favourites before getting rid the ever polarizing character. That's not a great business model.

• Love 8

I highly doubt the show would kill off fan and critic favourites before getting rid the ever polarizing character. That's not a great business model.

Who is a fans' favourite and who decided this?

• Love 1
(edited)

It depends, saying fan and critic favourites is subjective. I know on this board that Diggle and Felicity are favourites but that's just not the case everywhere else. Different people watch for different things and I think the writers have made it clear (Olicity notwithstanding) that they do what they want with respect to characters. People liked Tommy and Moira and Sara as well and (with the exception of Sara) where are they now?

My point is that they're less likely to kill off Black Canary, Slade Wilson or Malcolm Merlyn then they are two characters created solely for the television show. I'd be more worried about them then the likelihood of popping off Laurel. Especially given the show's penchance for offing women to activate Oliver's island of pain.

Regardless I like the doll, if I see one, I'll pick it up, I'll pick up the Canary one too.

Edited by slayer2

I think it's clear that Felicity IS a fan favorite. And I'm pretty neutral in all of it, I'm not a huge fan of hers or of Olicity. I mean, just look at ratings, her backstory got a rating spike and then the episode with the Olicity sex got one too. Coupled with the social networks buzz about her and the ship, it's clear people love her.

It's not as obvious with Diggle because there's no ship, but I've never seen people hating on him, unlike Laurel. Laurel does have some vocal fans, but the casual viewers I've seen and talked with most of the time dislike her or, at best, don't care about her.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it's clear that Felicity IS a fan favorite. And I'm pretty neutral in all of it, I'm not a huge fan of hers or of Olicity. I mean, just look at ratings, her backstory got a rating spike and then the episode with the Olicity sex got one too. Coupled with the social networks buzz about her and the ship, it's clear people love her.

It's not as obvious with Diggle because there's no ship, but I've never seen people hating on him, unlike Laurel. Laurel does have some vocal fans, but the casual viewers I've seen and talked with most of the time dislike her or, at best, don't care about her.

I don't think ratings are that easily measured, I don't think there's a way to definitely say that because of the Olicity and sex scene the ratings were up. I think Felicity has a lot of fans, that's very true but I also tend to think that her fans being more vocal doesn't necessarily mean there are way more of them. There is quite a bit of backlash towards Olicity building as well. In a year if the show keeps going the way it is it could well be Delena backlash proportions. Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Moira and Tommy did not have a huge following and were never really favorites. The favorites are definitely Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. Practically all the articles are about them and even when the characters are missing from episodes they still talk about them in the articles. Twitter trends are almost always about them. The ones who do the trends weekly almost always trend also. Whereas LL fans can barely trend. Canary cry didn't trend either even though they tried. Whenever I'm on tumblr on Wednesday scenes with Oliver, Felicity or Diggle always get the most reblogs.

Also Felicity's episode got a 1.1 demo rating I think almost 2.8 million viewers. Not to mention a lot of the male audience was watching that night also.

Edited by olicityfan25
  • Love 3

Who is a fans' favourite and who decided this?

Felicity and Dig are favourites...and I suppose the fans themselves chose it. Tumblr is covered in felicity and olicity. Emily bett was added as a recurring and promoted to regular because she was so well received. Felicity regularly trends on Twitter where Emily has way more followers than Katie even though Katie has definitely had more of a career.

Until this season reviewers constantly raved about Felicity and Emily's portrayal of her, they still do but everyone is sick of the crying.

This is not a jab at Laurel. It's a dig at the writers for writing such a hard to enjoy character.

• Love 8
I don't think ratings are that easily measured, I don't think there's a way to definitely say that because of the Olicity and sex scene the ratings were up.

At season 3, most sharp changes in demo are caused by easily tracked factors. I haven't been following the ratings too religiously (because i don't watch the show anymore), but even I noticed the increased.

I also tend to think that her fans being more vocal doesn't necessarily mean there are way more of them.

That's true, but in this case, it really looks like many casual viewers love her as well, not just fans.And it's understandable why they would, she's a nerd's dream girl and a nerdy girl's perfect self-insert all in one character. Plus, funny one-liners.

• Love 3

"Fan Favorite" depends on where you stand. Right now you go to Facebook and you would think Felicity is arguably the most hated character on the show. Tumblr and Twitter would tell you a different story.

Other forums would say Laurel is the best thing ever. This forum would give you another impression.

Misc Comment sections may say Olicity/Felicity is ruining the show and people want masked heroes all the time. Ratings may tell different story.

Perspective is everything.

• Love 2

That's true, but in this case, it really looks like many casual viewers love her as well, not just fans.And it's understandable why they would, she's a nerd's dream girl and a nerdy girl's perfect self-insert all in one character. Plus, funny one-liners.

I could well believe that Felicity would be popular. Like you say she's a nerd's dream girl, her dresses get shorter and tighter all the time and she's compliant to the men in her life.

Yup also social media you can see that Emily Bett is rising quicker on Twitter and Instagram. She's going to have 1 million followers soon on Instagram. You can see that with YouTube more people make videos with Felicity and Oliver than that toxic ship.

• Love 2

I don't think ratings are that easily measured, I don't think there's a way to definitely say that because of the Olicity and sex scene the ratings were up. I think Felicity has a lot of fans, that's very true but I also tend to think that her fans being more vocal doesn't necessarily mean there are way more of them. There is quite a bit of backlash towards Olicity building as well. In a year if the show keeps going the way it is it could well be Delena backlash proportions.

Her fans are vocal online, but that's a relatively small number of people related to the actual fanbase. The people who pump money into this show and do market research have got to have measurable statistics that show she's a fan favorite, regardless of what people say about her on the internet. Despite what a lot of people seem to think, they aren't increasing her presence on the Arrow and crossing her over just because a group of people get super excited about her on Tumblr and Twitter. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I don't think ratings are that easily measured, I don't think there's a way to definitely say that because of the Olicity and sex scene the ratings were up. I think Felicity has a lot of fans, that's very true but I also tend to think that her fans being more vocal doesn't necessarily mean there are way more of them.

True. Not any one thing could be attributed to ratings increases. But, as has been discussed by more math-capable/statistics-loving people on this forums and elsewhere, there is a trend in the ratings that suggest Felicity is a very big draw for viewers or, at least, how certain other characters are not. And, although, no one can definitively attribute the ratings spike of "The Fallen" on Oliver/Felicity, I think, the big ratings spike in "The Secret Origins of Felicity Smoak" is attributable to no one other than the Felicity Smoak character and what she brings to the show.

ETA: Whoops. Just read the love notes from the mods below. Apologies for the digression, wielders of Mjolnir. And thanks for your watchful oversight of this here realm. :)

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 1

Do you know that we've been given Thor's Hammer?   And we're not afraid to use it.

Let's stay respectful of others and graciously agree to disagree. Let's also stay on topic in this thread. 

Otherwise....Thor.  And his Hammer.  Also, Hulk's short temper.

• Love 1
(edited)

Non-spoilery MG comments at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/(he also posted some fan praise for this season, also I've put the fan complaints about the O/N wedding in the 3x22 episode thread)...

thearrowverse asked:
So you don't listen to fans when it comes to writing? ... *cough* you made a video about an "Olicity Fern" *cough* and yet Oliver's costume has yet to be updated...

We don’t make STORY CHOICES because of fandom.  We do, however, make humorous videos.

merlynbox1 asked:
If you could go back and change one thing about this season, what would it be and why? P.S. Love the show, you guys have made a fantastic 3 seasons!

I wish we’d gotten Oliver into the League sooner so we could spend a bit more time with that situation.

lovelyair asked:
Marc! Amazing show overall. I've been an avid TV watcher for many a moon, and I think you guys are doing a great job! Given that, I was wondering if you could answer me this: What is one thing you think you guys did great with this season on Arrow? What is one thing you regret doing? Again, great job man, go Arrow! Go Oliver Queen! Go Olicity! Thank you!

– Making Oliver “Al Sah-him”
– Not spending enough time with Oliver as “Al Sah-him”

jannief2001 asked:
Just giving you some love right now. It's too bad so many Olicity/Felicity haters are mouthing off on Facebook and elsewhere. I love Arrow and am a big time Olicity shipper. Thank you! I'm sure the finale will be great and leaving us wanting more. Maybe a little less of the angst in season 4 though. ;)

I’ve got thick skin.  And thank you.

rosemariedavis asked:
Marc thank you for creating one of the greatest love stories on television ever with Olicity. *bows down. Number of people hating on it is so small compared to number of people and media who absolutely loves it. So please keep doing what you do! It's extraordinary.

If you keep watching, we’ll keep doing!

bellamysarms asked:
do u read facebook comments? do u see how many people don't like felicity and olicity anymore? this otp was my favorite ship of all time but the writing is awful! Their sexual banter was the best part of their relationship. now all we get is felicity crying and whining about oliver? this isnt the same felicity the audience loved in S1 and S2

Sorry it’s not your cup of tea.

olysmoak asked:
This season is a mess, i've never been so pissed about a TV show seriously ... every time there is something a good in an episode, the next one turns to be a total shit. And that's how the 3rd season is going to end ? let me laugh !! this show was my favorite i literally was obssessed it had so so so much more potential ! and don't tell it is a matter of taste cause the entire fandom will tell you this is the worst season ever.

I’m very sorry you feel that way.  And while I have no doubt that you’re not alone in your opinion, a quick perusal of my Twitter feed tells me that you’re not correct in your assertion that the entire fandom agrees with you.

egnlish asked:
thank you thank you thank you for giving us olicity. they might not even be together right now in 3x22, but i love there chemistry and i'm just overall glad you introduced us to them. and i'm positive they'll end up together (-:

Thanks for watching!

estrovel asked:
Huge fan of the show! Will be sad to see this amazing season end. My question for you. Where is Nanda Parbat? I'm trying to figure out how they get back and forth so frequently. Clearly they need a plane. But curious where it's supposed to be located. Thanks!

It’s in New Jersey.  Right off the Turnpike, actually.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
yasmimplech asked:

Marc, can you tell us who is responsible for the show's outfits? The costume designer? All of the characters are so beautifully fitted to their outfits, it never ceases to amaze me. Specially Felicity's. I love how she dresses fashionable, even romantic and sexy without trying too much and still such a strong woman, fighting for her family and friends, she's like this unstoppable force of nature with her wits and funny babbles! She fights the bad guys without scratching her beautiful pink nails!

Her name is Maya Mani and she is insanely talented.

bwagner3012 asked:

Do you have any control over the marketing department not spoiling anything in promos? I feel like it makes it hard for you guys.

We have zero input into the promos.

princess-of-the-geeks asked:

Who is your favorite character/characters to write for?

To quote Felicity, I can’t think of an answer that won’t get me into trouble.

missmudpie asked:

Was the possibility of Oliver spending more time/episodes in Nanda Parbat as Al Sah-him ever discussed in the writers' room? Why or why not?

It was.  And I’d wished we had at least one more episode there.  It just didn’t work out that way.  Happens sometimes.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

KL posted Nyssa's 'wedding album' pics on her facebook and instagram pages...

11203237_846895145346602_432836925067660

Katrina Law 21 hrs · Edited ·
THE WEDDING ALBUM
Well, we can all agree that everything about THAT wedding last night was WROOONG, can't we?
At least Daddy Ra's did one thing right and picked out dresses for the bridesmaids that they can wear again.
He is so practical.

https://www.facebook.com/KatrinaLawOfficialFanPage/photos/a.583263791709740.1073741827.110182085684582/846895145346602/?type=1&theater

More pics:  https://instagram.com/p/2YpHh2hs_c/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Aww, you almost make me sorry for not watching this season. Badass female characters are my kryptonite. 

Tatsu/Katana is definitely awesome, but you would have to wade through a lot of bad to enjoy her.  Maybe they will use her again in a greater capacity on the spin-off or something because she definitely rocks.

• Love 2

"Fan Favorite" depends on where you stand. Right now you go to Facebook and you would think Felicity is arguably the most hated character on the show. Tumblr and Twitter would tell you a different story.

Other forums would say Laurel is the best thing ever. This forum would give you another impression.

Misc Comment sections may say Olicity/Felicity is ruining the show and people want masked heroes all the time. Ratings may tell different story.

Perspective is everything.

I don't go to the Arrow pages on facebook anymore because they were too visceral with Felicity and Laurel, but when I was going the hate was usually more directed toward Laurel than Felicity (though she definitely got some as well).  I suspect the show runners do observe social media, but also comic book sales, action figure sales, comic con events, etc... and all of that still only measures the strongest, most vocal audience.  The casual viewers just don't get measured by anything but ratings.  However, I would still say that Diggle and Felicity are fan favorites and I believe it would be unlikely for the show runners to kill either one of them any time soon.

First, I hate to be crude about it because he really is a fantastic character, but Diggle is kind of the "token black guy" on Arrow now that we don't see hide nor hair of Walter.  Killing him would definitely come with some very negative criticism from bloggers and magazines, etc... So, I only see them doing that IF they were going into the final season and they would have to give him one heck of a hero's death.  If the actor just wanted to move on - I expect they would give him a Colton exit where he was alive and well and could return.

Second, now that the show runners have gotten a LOT of criticism about their treatment of women on the show, I really don't think they are going to aim any targets at Felicity's head pretty much ever.  I think as long as the actress wants to stay, she will remain the primary love interest with the intent of marrying them off someday.  I honestly believe they will have her be the head of Queen, Inc. and be the one who mergers with Wayne Tech in the Flash future headline.  Plus, let's be real honest here, now that Roy is gone - Felicity is pretty much the only character who canon wise can bring us a few funny lines and laughs without it seeming weird at this point.

• Love 7

The most relevant collection of data they get about viewership habits is not available either to the public, nor the specialized media, because it comes from the digital platforms -- Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, the CW player. Those viewers are all being data tracked in crazy specific detail that Nielsen ratings don't track. If you skipped every Island scene while watching on Netflix? They know it. If you rewound and rewatched Felicity and Oliver making googly eyes at each other over and over? They know it too. And they can build up stacks of data based on their viewership watching habits.

This kind of specific viewership tracking is still super new, but it's the kind of dream statistics for a showrunner, that has never been available before, but now they get it gift wrapped from Netflix every year.

• Love 9
(edited)

Love KL and her Wedding Album Shots they are really funny and the only good thing to come out of this wedding storyline. 

Edited by Genki
  • Love 4

And I know it's just a picture, but they almost have chemistry here. Still on Olicity bandwagon, don't shoot me!

Really? cause Stephen smile is pretty tight, if you get what i mean ... i've seen him smile more happily on those con pics with fans, which kind of throw off the picture.

• Love 1

Eh to be fair, Stephen is exhausted. And he still has his happy creases under his eyes. I'm sure he and Katie get along great aside from their lack of acting chemistry.

• Love 7

I love KC's makeup here - she's so beautiful, but I feel like she gets a heavy hand in the makeup chair (she doesn't need it).  I really dislike Laurel, but I love seeing all of the behind the scenes pictures of KC with the everyone.  She seems like so much fun.  

(edited)

BTW - it has nothing to do with Arrow - here is an old pic of SA during a Halloween party (from SA´s twitter account):

11010530_357085261167173_638644407438574

Edited by Kordi
(edited)
danglinggmaybes asked:

You said that if there was one thing you could change, you'd get Oliver into the League a lot sooner. Why didn't you? In the final drafts too.. Why'd you put it off till the last leg of the season? Was it a decision or did you not have a choice?

The answer is complicated.  As much planning as we put into each season, there are always things that surprise us and deviate us away from our original plan.  Steering a 23 episode season of television is more art than science.  Sometimes you get it just right.  Sometimes you miss the mark a touch.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

This was posted on the CW ATOM twitter page - note who is included in the art piece along with the fight club characters...

THE A.T.O.M @TheAtomCW  ·  13h 13 hours ago
RT If you are excited about #LegendsOfTomorrow show @LegOfTomorrow @BrandonJRouth

CEhz5GcVAAAYcFX.jpg

https://twitter.com/TheAtomCW

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just finished watching the live feed of SA's Q&A panel at Wizard World Philadelphia.  Here's some of what I heard (I was trying to type while watching, so apologies for any mistakes)...

--

3x23 "felt like a series finale."  It's not the series finale (obviously).

-- Prior to the pilot, he didn't read the comics to prepare because he trusted the people doing the show.  Since then, he's read Year One, [something else I didn't catch], and kept up with the New 52.

-- When asked if he was a "parkour ninja" before Arrow, he said 'no', he was a hockey player.

-- His favorite fight scene this season was his first fight against Ra's because that was 100% him, no stunt double, even though he lost.

-- He would like Oliver "to be a little more at peace", to smile more and be more like the classic Oliver Queen of the comics (I think he means personality-wise, as in lighten him up).  He mentioned season 4, and even seasons 5 and 6 (being hopeful, not a spoiler).

-- Fan asked about joking around on set.  In S1, he and DR would say classical movie quotes in the Bane voice.  In S2, they'd say "what's in the box" from the movie Seven.  This season, he and DR would just go "ehhh" (said in froggy-type voice).

--

The LP "is a part of and will continue to be a part of Arrow."

--

When asked if he will become evil Ra's, he said: "I think that there is definitely a chance at some point this season that I may officially be Ra's al Ghul."

-- When asked about his favorite season, he said that he will always have a soft spot for S1 because it was the first season.  But it's like asking him to pick his favorite kid.  It's like having three kids.  He felt as though S1 set up S2, so he felt as though the payoff in S2 was better.  

"And I think that we are quite possibly in a spot where season 3 will serve again as a transitionary spot and set up season 4."

For from a satisfaction standpoint, he really loved S2 but from a ratings standpoint, this is their best season yet.

-- He and DR are the best of friends. 

Kidnapping Diggle's wife is not something that Diggle will get over, and the strain will stretch into S4.

-- He can't do all of the stunts for insurance reasons.  But he always asked to do stunts, esp. when the stunt is high and involves wire work, usually without thinking about whether it's a good idea first.  He mentioned swinging from the tree and grabbing Felicity from the land mine.  He suggested doing it shirtless to convince them to allow him to do it (since it would have to be him), and the EPs liked the idea. Oliver shirtless like 8 seconds into the second season - "we're right on track."

(P.S.  While watching the live stream, I ended up hiding the ongoing chat because every few lines, some fan would post some variation of wanting Felicity to die.  I got sick of it.)

EDITED AFTER WATCHING VIDEO.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Just finished watching the live feed of SA's Q&A panel at Wizard World Philadelphia.  Here's some of what I heard (I was trying to type while watching, so apologies for any mistakes)...

--

3x23 "felt like a series finale."  It's not the series finale (obviously).

-- Prior to the pilot, he didn't read the comics to prepare because he trusted the people doing the show.  Since then, he's read Year One, [something else I didn't catch], and kept up with the New 52.

-- When asked if he was a "parkour ninja" before Arrow, he said 'no', he was a hockey player.

-- His favorite fight scene this season was his first fight against Ra's because that was 100% him, no stunt double, even though he lost.

-- He would like Oliver "to be a little more at peace", to smile more and be more like the classic Oliver Queen of the comics (I think he means personality-wise, as in lighten him up).  He mentioned season 4, and even seasons 5 and 6 (being hopeful, not a spoiler).

-- Fan asked about joking around on set.  In S1, he and DR would say classical movie quotes in the Bane voice.  In S2, they'd say "what's in the box" from the movie Seven.  This season, he and DR would just go "ehhh" (said in froggy-type voice).

-- (Did I hear this right?) 

When asked if he will become evil Ra's, he said that there's some point during this season that he will officially become Ra's al Ghul.  Then he immediately went into a non sequitur about how some fan asked EBR at one of these panels what she was doing later, and she said something about a cast dinner or something, and the guy said 'oh' and walked out.  Now why would SA be thinking of EBR when answering a question about Oliver becoming Ra's?

But later on, he said that "we shall see" if he becomes Ra's al Ghul, so maybe I misheard him the first time.  He also said that he really enjoys playing Al Sah-him.

-- He and DR are the best of friends. 

Kidnapping Diggle's wife is not something that Diggle will get over, and the strain will stretch into S4.

-- He can't do all the stunts for insurance reasons.  But he always asks to do stunts, esp. when the stunt is high and involves aerial heights, without thinking about it first.  He mentioned swinging from the tree and grabbing Felicity from the land mine.  He suggested doing it shirtless to convince them (to allow him to do it), and the TPTB liked the idea. Oliver shirtless like 7 seconds(?) into the first episode of S2.

(P.S.  While watching the live stream, I ended up hiding the ongoing chat because every few lines, someone would post some variation of wanting Felicity to die.  I got sick of it.)

Thanks for posting this for those of us unable to watch live. Hope it'll be on Youtube at some point, too.

As regards the EBR thing - it was because the person asking him the Ra's question turned and walked away as he answered which reminded him of the screening thing with Emily.

• Love 1