Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Routh is going to be at Paleyfest?! That must mean he's going to be a series regular and nooooooooooooo! I'd rather he go to The Flash. Omg please. 

I don't know if there's a normal time for that. I usually see those announced at the end of the season. Like they announced EBR, CH and Manu were all promoted to Series Regulars for S2. I think that came out in April or May of 2013.

However I saw an announcement in November (I think) promoting the actor playing Finn on The Originals to Series Regular for the current season so I think it can happen any time the EPs decide to make the other and contracts are signed.

Routh is going to the TCAs this Sunday, nothing has been announced for PaleyFest.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I find it really strange that if it is an announcement like BR becoming a regular or what have you, that Stephen would preemptively post something like that. Maybe whatever it is is on the production side of things, since something like that wouldn't make much of a splash? 

I don't know about the others, but EBR promotion was announced around February (why on earth did Tvline had to go and remove the search widget? it's so much harder now to find old info lol)

ETA: It's possible he was told about whatever it is in advance and wanted to create some buzz. It could be either an addition to the cast or even an early renewal for season 4, or both. 

Edited by looptab

I don't know about the others, but EBR promotion was announced around February (why on earth did Tvline had to go and remove the search widget? it's so much harder now to find old info lol)

ETA: It's possible he was told about whatever it is in advance and wanted to create some buzz. It could be either an addition to the cast or even an early renewal for season 4, or both. 

He wrote additionS - plural. That coupled with the "achievements" just led me to believe maybe it was some BTS stuff, not necessarily a casting thing.

• Love 1

He wrote additionS - plural. That coupled with the "achievements" just led me to believe maybe it was some BTS stuff, not necessarily a casting thing.

Eh, i didn't give much thought to the plurals, just assumed it was a way of generalizing whatever he is excited about. Anyways, it could be anything as far as we know, maybe that new director they were all raving about. I guess if it's anything relevant we'll find out soon -though I'm sure an early renewal would be huge from his POV, and guessing about new cast members is fun from ours ;)

But why would fans submit questions for TCA via the network twitter? The journos in the room are gonna be asking the questions, and pretty much everyone in that room would eat their own elbow before accepting network-approved questions.

I have no idea but that's what CW_Arrow tweeted out

Got a question for the heroes and villains from #Arrow? Reply with your question for a chance to be answered.

But considering that's the exact line up for the TCAs (Minus Nable) I'm going to assume it's related. 

I'm confused because i know Paley did an Arrow and Good Wife casts panel a couple of years ago, so.. why another one?

There was an Arrow panel at the 2013 PaleyFest.  Maybe they're doing it again to attract attendees and attention, and also this time it's the combo of Flash/Arrow - who knows. 

Arrow PaleyFest Panel Announced [from 2013]

By Russ Burlingame  02/05/2013

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/02/05/arrow-paleyfest-panel-announced/

Looks like KC is the only female in the bunch.  Can't help but wonder why.

Don't shot the messenger but... she's the female lead after all.

And by 'lead' I don't necessarily mean the chemical element... Although...

• Love 2

The two shows have a combined 5 female regulars and only 1 is on the panel. Guest stars are going to be on the panel but Emily, Candice (who is the female lead of Flash), Willa, and Danielle are not. Arrow even has one major female guest in Katrina Law, but she isn't included on the panel. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3

There was an Arrow panel at the 2013 PaleyFest.  Maybe they're doing it again to attract attendees and attention, and also this time it's the combo of Flash/Arrow - who knows. 

Arrow PaleyFest Panel Announced [from 2013]

By Russ Burlingame  02/05/2013

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/02/05/arrow-paleyfest-panel-announced/

Yea that's the one i meant.

I hope EBR will be there this time. In all honesty I'm starting to dislike the fact that she's not doing more promotional stuff like that. I get that she's relatively new to acting world and all of this might be a bit intimidating for her to do... But that's part of the job, promoting the project you're on, she's a regular, and while not officially announced as such- in the eyes of the media and most of the fans she's regarded as the leading lady of the show.

Yea that's the one i meant.

I hope EBR will be there this time. In all honesty I'm starting to dislike the fact that she's not doing more promotional stuff like that. I get that she's relatively new to acting world and all of this might be a bit intimidating for her to do... But that's part of the job, promoting the project you're on, she's a regular, and while not officially announced as such- in the eyes of the media and most of the fans she's regarded as the leading lady of the show.

She doesn't really have a say in whether she goes or not, does she? I'm sure if TPTB asked her to go, she would. 

• Love 2

I know that when we notice these things, we get accused of reading too much into it, but all of these small things added up kinda start to paint a clearer picture of what is happening here.  But I'm probably just being paranoid, right?

• Love 4

I know that when we notice these things, we get accused of reading too much into it, but all of these small things added up kinda start to paint a clearer picture of what is happening here.  But I'm probably just being paranoid, right?

I think the picture in this instance is that Laurel has a big arc coming up and so they want to put her front-and-center for it. 

At this point, they can try to push Felicity to the back burner to focus on Laurel, but no matter what they do, one's going to remain a fan favorite, and the other one just isn't. Surely they know that. They definitely know that Felicity is their bread and butter - you can tell by the EPs teasers, the fact that they're putting her in the Flash comics. One character needs the publicity, the other one doesn't.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 6

She doesn't really have a say in whether she goes or not, does she? I'm sure if TPTB asked her to go, she would. 

This is a corporate event, not a fan con, so I'd say no.   If she's not invited, that's on the showrunners (and I'm sure they'll hear about it).  She always seems very enthusiastic and well-spoken at all the corporate events the show has her attend, so I don't think she has a problem doing press.  I think her non-attendance at cons is simply her preference, maybe she doesn't enjoy the hustle and bustle and travel, who knows?  But that's her promoting herself on her own time, so to me, whatever makes her happy. 

eta: 

At this point, they can try to push Felicity to the back burner to focus on Laurel, but no matter what they do, one's going to remain a fan favorite
Right, so why go through all the "Where's Emily" rigamarole?  Just include her from the start, avoid the extra attention to Emily not being there.  It's like Comic Con all over again. Edited by JenMD
  • Love 5

This is a corporate event, not a fan con, so I'd say no.   If she's not invited, that's on the showrunners (and I'm sure they'll hear about it).  She always seems very enthusiastic and well-spoken at all the corporate events the show has her attend, so I don't think she has a problem doing press.  I think her non-attendance at cons is simply her preference, maybe she doesn't enjoy the hustle and bustle and travel, who knows?  But that's her promoting herself on her own time, so to me, whatever makes her happy. 

eta: 

Right, so why go through all the "Where's Emily" rigamarole?  Just include her from the start, avoid the extra attention to Emily not being there.  It's like Comic Con all over again.

But it's not like Comic Con, because fans won't be turning up hoping to see her - it's just industry professionals, isn't it? You take one out of the equation, and the other's more likely to get more questions. That might be the line of thinking here.

Nah I'm just sad/annoyed I don't get to hear from a favourite of mine. Emily and DR normally give great insight to their characters. I'm not particularly stoked she's not tagging along.

Edited by Limbo

Maybe she's the only one not filming right now?

They don't film on Sundays

But it's not like Comic Con, because fans won't be turning up hoping to see her - it's just industry professionals, isn't it? You take one out of the equation, and the other's more likely to get more questions. That might be the line of thinking here.

It's a joint Arrow/Flash panel so it's not just taking EBR or Willa out of the equation you're taking Caitlin and Iris out as well.  I don't know if they have a huge story arc coming up but they've actually been set up for something in 109, Iris post Barry's ILY and Caitlin dealing with Firestorm.  Willa should also have something going on given the reveal that she unknowingly killed Sara.

There's promoting her arc and then there's massive propping by eliminating any other female that might get attention...but I could be wrong

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

Yeah EBR must not like Cons or something so she doesn't go that HAS to be the reason. She is basically the female lead she gets the most airtime of any of the females. Her character loves and is loved by the male lead not to mention she plays almost the most popular charcter on the show You think she would be at as much of these as possible.

The idea that KC is only included because she is the female lead implies that EBR wasn't included because she isn't. But that only holds water if the panel is only the leads i.e SA, KC, GG, CP. But it isn't. If the other woman had other obligations to the show or weren't able to make it for other reasons, thats one thing. If they weren't invited, asked or whatever by the network or the EPs, that is huge issue with me. 

• Love 5

The two shows have a combined 5 female regulars and only 1 is on the panel. Guest stars are going to be on the panel but Emily, Candice (who is the female lead of Flash), Willa, and Danielle are not. Arrow even has one major female guest in Katrina Law, but she isn't included on the panel. 

Sounds like a regular, boring old sausage fest. Glad I don't watch overly produced, sanitised panels like Paley. But don't worry, Katie Cassidy is there, representing her gender to finest effect!

And Routh possibly a regular? These clowns really don't want me to ever watch this show again, do they? I'm now hoping it gets cancelled so Stephen Amell, EBR, David Ramsey and Willa Holland can get better jobs.

• Love 4

I agree with your thinking here. The TCAs are a very specific venue, since it's not just "the press", but actually only members of the TV Critics Association, which is around 200 people total. And the networks will only take the shows/people they want this very VERY specialized group of folks to cover to the TCA tour. I mean, it's already a bonus that the Winter tour covers returning shows [summer tour is new shows only], and the CW could have taken anyone else, but they chose Flash/Arrow, which indicates they want more press on the shows. Laurel as Black Canary needs coverage. Crazy Eyes' possible spin-off potential needs coverage. Felicity doesn't.

And if I were to bet, someone is probably gonna ask about Felicity anyway, even if EBR's not there.

• Love 1

Sorry, I meant in terms of the online fuss fans raise about Emily not being there, not of the people at the event.  Since this is just for industry professionals, the questions should be spread around anyway, the press would want info on everybody, unlike a fan-attended event where favoritism can come into play.  The BC arc is supposed to be a big deal, so that should get plenty of attention.  The impression I'm getting is tptb see little to no value to Felicity's place in either Oliver's story or Ray's story coming up, not enough to include her in a major press event (same could be said for Willa, so much for her great storyline, or does she just have nothing coming up?).  That's disheartening. 

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 7

That's a goodamm shame if true Felicity is loved by majority of fans and she is bringing more attention to the show than BR and KC. Not to mention EBR is one of the best actors/actresses on the show and plays one half of Tvs hottest couples IMO

• Love 3

Sorry, I meant in terms of the online fuss fans raise about Emily not being there, not of the people at the event.  Since this is just for industry professionals, the questions should be spread around anyway, the press would want info on everybody, unlike a fan-attended event where favoritism can come into play.  The BC arc is supposed to be a big deal, so that should get plenty of attention.  The impression I'm getting is tptb see little to no value to Felicity's place in either Oliver's story or Ray's story coming up, not enough to include her in a major press event (same could be said for Willa, so much for her great storyline, or does she just have nothing coming up?).  That's disheartening. 

I don't think it's that they don't see any value, I think it's that they know Felicity is going to get lots of coverage-lots of positive coverage at that-regardless of whether she attends this event. Not sure what's going on with Willa - maybe it's something to do with them not wanting to spoil whatever it is they have coming up for her, I don't know. I think they're just trying to put KC/Laurel out there since her trilogy is coming up.

Hey, maybe the EPs are actually very aware of how terribly Laurel is received if they are clearing the field of all other females to ensure that somebody, anybody, asks about her upcoming storyline trilogy.  Not sure why Amell is going to be there.  Oliver is dead, and this show is bigger than just one character, right?  Let everyone else have their moment to shine.  This probably belongs in the bitterness thread...   

• Love 2

It does seem weird to me. Let's be real - EBR is the lead female in all but the amount of her check. I don't care if she does Cons; that's purely an actor's choice. But at official promotional Show events, she should be there. Yes, Laurel needs more positive press, but excluding EBR from official events, promotional pictures, etc. only raises questions and leads fans to blame KC/Laurel. 

I doubt it's some big conspiracy but it is notable. If it's an actor's availability or preference, I think it might be better to state that because it does more harm than good to leave it up to speculation.

• Love 12

I agree with your thinking here. The TCAs are a very specific venue, since it's not just "the press", but actually only members of the TV Critics Association, which is around 200 people total. And the networks will only take the shows/people they want this very VERY specialized group of folks to cover to the TCA tour. I mean, it's already a bonus that the Winter tour covers returning shows [summer tour is new shows only], and the CW could have taken anyone else, but they chose Flash/Arrow, which indicates they want more press on the shows. Laurel as Black Canary needs coverage. Crazy Eyes' possible spin-off potential needs coverage. Felicity doesn't.

And if I were to bet, someone is probably gonna ask about Felicity anyway, even if EBR's not there.

Wait, are we talking about TCAs or Paley Fest? I thought it was Paley Fest that KC was the only woman going from Arrow/Flash.

Not sure why Amell is going to be there.  Oliver is dead,

They wouldn't have, but I kind of wish they'd gone for it and not brought SA.  That would've gotten people talking.  ;-P  But, what is he going to talk about?  I guess we'll be getting some spoilers... or is this one of those press things where the media hold back interviews and parse them out?

Wait, are we talking about TCAs or Paley Fest? I thought it was Paley Fest that KC was the only woman going from Arrow/Flash.

TCAs.  The Paley panel hasn't been announced yet.

• Love 1

Thanks JenMD. :) Sorry for the confusion.

In that case.... ah. Yeah, it does look bad, but I think maybe they know EBR is a critics' darling and they don't want KC to be ignored. Plus they seem to be wanting to focus media attention on the BC arc. But no, it certainly isn't reassuring for those fearing that Felicity will get pushed aside in favor of Laurel.

I don't know what their excuse is for not including one of the Flash ladies though. :/

Edited by Starfish35

My last word on the subject...I think they are trying to promote their masked superheroes and villains. Its the DC Universe after all. Flash has fantastic ratings. Arrow's highest were the crossover. The CW is trying to capitalize on that success. They aren't trying to attract those of us who are watching. They want those who aren't. 'Look people who won't watch something because its on the CW. We have wonderful shows.'

As for EBR/Felicity who I adore...she gets recognized all the time. Her fans are always promoting her for free. Online she was voted the best/most popular character in Season 2. Critics talk about her so why should the CW spend time/energy promoting her when they want to promote the entire show?

• Love 1

Wait I'm sort of confused, is EBR going to be in the paley panel or not? If not it's truly a shame and I won't really be interested in watching it. If so, someone will definitely have to send me a link to watch it :p

Wait I'm sort of confused, is EBR going to be in the paley panel or not? If not it's truly a shame and I won't really be interested in watching it. If so, someone will definitely have to send me a link to watch it :p

I don't believe Paley has confirmed who will be there. The TCA's have confirmed everyone except EBR and WH. That's why it's weird to me. Though EBR is praised by critics and fans alike and receives tons of publicity, I would think the EPs would capitalize on that. They seem to use her when they want to build buzz when it suits their needs. Why not now?

• Love 3

I don't believe Paley has confirmed who will be there. The TCA's have confirmed everyone except EBR and WH. That's why it's weird to me. Though EBR is praised by critics and fans alike and receives tons of publicity, I would think the EPs would capitalize on that. They seem to use her when they want to build buzz when it suits their needs. Why not now?

Could she be going and just not confirmed yet (for whatever weird, unlikely reason)? 

PaleyFest line up i think will be announced on 20th January, i read it somewhere.

Yes, I think you or TV Echo posted the link saying PaleyFest line up will be announced on 1/20

My last word on the subject...I think they are trying to promote their masked superheroes and villains.

So why was Diggle/David Ramsey included, last I looked he wasn't a masked hero/villain

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2