Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Another thing that tends to highly influence how actors see their characters is they have to make themselves unaware that there's a on-going narrative happening when they're working. They cannot be thinking "oh, my character is doing this X now, because it'll lead to Y, and then his emotional growth is he learned Z". NO. When that happens, you get KC smiling like a loon in the jacket scene, because she skipped the internal motivation for the present moment, and went for what that moment represents in the character's narrative.

John Barrowman says he doesn't even read the scripts much ahead of time so he can get the most authentic reactions to things that he can. He doesn't want to know what's coming later because he's afraid it will affect how he plays the current thing.

But then some actors need to understand the narrative at least a few episodes ahead so they can find the nuance to apply something now.  I guess it all depends on the actor

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I feel like the biggest problem with Maseo's characterization was that for most of his time on ARROW he was one of the good guys in the FB. Even in the present day he saw himself as OQ's friend & ally. He did a bad thing with the virus, but a lot of his other actions were morally grey. Its similar to Nyssa who lives in morally grey area. She does bad things when she is required too, but is not necessarily evil. They are both villains and not-villains at the same time. Nevermind, the writing for s3 was so twisted for plot & gotchas that I bet KY never knew about his role with the virus or how he actually got into the LoA. They probably told him he joined out of grief for his son, but the virus thing might have been a surprise.

Honestly, it must get challenging as an actor to play some of these grey characters on ARROW because they vacillate from pseudo-villain to pseudo-hero so quickly, that nailing the correct motivation must be hard. Honestly, the whole premise/credo of the LoA was very muddy in s3. It was hard to figure out most of the characters motivations with the ever changing take on LoA.

• Love 1

That has to be a precursor to at some getting Green Lantern. I mean they can't just throw that out there for no reason.

That, and maybe it's one of the places Oliver and Felicity traveled to over the summer.

• Love 1

Yeah, Coast City was on the ship Oliver boarded but also isn't that where O/F eventually settled down? I'm pretty sure the season will open with the two of them there.

Maybe I'm crazy, but didn't they say that Oliver (possibly Oliver and Felicity) would meet up with an old friend of his there?

Yes, that was in an interview, but I can't remember where. I seem to recall something about O&F having settled there at some point over the summer?

I think Coast City is both a past and present location.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

From Twitter

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood 1h1 hour ago

If Kanye runs for President, I'll run for Prime Minister of Canada.

Retweets    4,483    Favorites    8,060

3:48 PM - 31 Aug 2015 · Details

Still can't manage to get images onto this website... oh well :(

Anyway, it looks like my plan to move to Canada once all the crazies get elected in the USA, just got a little more interesting. At least I trust that Stephen could almost run a country or at least not embarrass it (unlike Kanye & Trump, and some of the others).

Hmm I guess I thought that was a fan theory - not something actually confirmed. My bad.

I've tried to find the interview, and I can't. But I do recall MG (or WM, I can't remember) saying something about them settling down at some point on their trip in Coast City because Oliver had a friend there.

• Love 1

Guess who's going to DragonCon Saturday and Sunday? This guy?

Any questions you want me to ask?

Have fun! Are you going to both of SA's panels? I can't imagine that there will be anything that won't be covered.

Guess who's going to DragonCon Saturday and Sunday? This guy?

Any questions you want me to ask? 

Have fun!! Any question would probably good. Whatever you can share would be great. Thanks!

Have fun! Are you going to both of SA's panels? I can't imagine that there will be anything that won't be covered.

SA has separate panels? That's a bit odd for Dragon*Con, they usually do group panels by show because they're so big and space is limited.

That's not to say they never do solo panels, I just figured they had a good size Arrow crew going so it would be one panel.

Edited by Morrigan2575

SA has separate panels? That's a bit odd for Dragon*Con, they usually do group panels by show because they're so big and space is limited.

From the schedule I saw, SA has a solo panel on Friday, one with JB on Saturday, and one with KC, DR, and Matt Nable on Sunday. Edited by lemotomato

Thanks all :)

Yea, SA has a solo one Friday. 

I haven't formulated my schedule in terms of actor panels, not to mention the discussion panels. 

Never been to a con...any advice?

Edited by wingster55

From the schedule I saw, SA has a solo panel on Friday, one with JB on Saturday, and one with KC, DR, and Matt Nable on Sunday.

Ah, thanks. I wonder why they broke it out like that? I know SA can fill his own room but, it's easier for fans to have group panels. There's so much to do at Dragon Con, so many different tracks/panels, 3 hotels full of space and (unless it's changed since i went), they clear out the rooms in between panels.

My friend flies in from England every year and I'm pretty sure she spends about 2 weeks prior to traveling planning her schedule.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Still can't manage to get images onto this website... oh well :(

Anyway, it looks like my plan to move to Canada once all the crazies get elected in the USA, just got a little more interesting. At least I trust that Stephen could almost run a country or at least not embarrass it (unlike Kanye & Trump, and some of the others).

LOL Stephen would just govern by Facebook. And it would be hilarious. He'd never have to leave the set.

• Love 2

So the Arrow group only has one panel? What are DR, KC, MT doing Friday and Saturday?

I don't know. But no offense, I highly, highly doubt that the demand to see any of them would be as high as it is to see SA.

ETA: Nevermind, I get what you mean - it's been a long day, haha.

Edited by apinknightmare

Stephen Amell Proclaims “I am Proud to be a part of the best all boys school in North America.

I Am Andrean

It's a very funny parody of a funny Molson's Canadian (beer) commercial that ran about 10 years ago

It was popular enough that William Shatner did his own parody

Alas, SA's pride in Canada was 4 yearsago.  Instead of attending FanExpo in his home town of Torontothis weekend, he's off to DragonCon.

And even actors that aren't necessarily "method" can be adversely impacted when playing a villain or truly evil person. Misha Collins, who IRL is a pretty amazing person and does amazing charitable works like Stephen Amell,  has talked about playing a serial rapist/murderer in the movie about the real - life Canadian rape/murder couple. He said it kind of  messed him up. He felt really dark and creepy and he didn't like how it made him feel and that it kind of scared him.  He regrets the part and also reminds everyone to not ever watch the movie.

Speaking of DragonCon, as few years ago Mira Furlan gave a talk and gave the best reasoning for why artists had more mental illness than other professions (I don't know if they really do) because they have to live so close to their emotions all the time, they have to live inside the character and the madness and having that skin scraped off you all the time makes it more like to have them go insane.

Edited by statsgirl

Never been to a con...any advice?

Wear comfy shoes/clothes. Bring snacks, if possible. Be flexible. If you find something you want to buy, buy it! You might not find it again. (Of course, you might find it at Target 2 weeks later for 1/3 of the price, but don't let that stop you. /stillbitter) Don't be shy! Chat with the celebs and your fellow con-goers. 

Have a great time!

Speaking of DragonCon, as few years ago Mira Furlan gave a talk and gave the best reasoning for why artists had more mental illness than other professions (I don't know if they really do) because they have to live so close to their emotions all the time, they have to live inside the character and the madness and having that skin scraped off you all the time makes it more like to have them go insane.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt spoke on The Nerdist podcast that when he did "50/50" which was about a guy with cancer, he had to tell himself over and over each night that he didn't have cancer just to get rid of that vibe. While shooting, he lived in the mindset that he was a guy living with cancer. I'm fairly sensitive to the energy people give off (I'm terrible dealing with angry people,) and I do not have the mental wherewithal to put myself through that kind of mental gymnastics. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 1

When I go to conventions (for fun or profession), there are usually at least 3 different things at the same time that I want to go to.  Planning your day out is your friend.

Make friends.  It can be more fun to go somewhere with another person, especially if you have to stand in line for a long time, even if you're an introvert.  People are going to be nerds too so you should be able to find something to talk about.

I learned that if you have any questions about the show, non-spoilery, that you should go to Echo Kellum's twitter and ask there. 

I asked him today if we'll get a lot of Diggle/Felicity scenes because we were burned in S3 and he said "I believe so!" 

So even though that isn't a straight answer (the 'believe' bit makes me a bit less confident about his answer) I feel a little more at ease. I mean if they have scenes so far that's already better than S3. 

• Love 2

Con advice - get early to the panels where you want to be anywhere near the stage.  Don't hurt anyone but don't be too polite - unless they enforce queue etiquette things can be somewhat of a scrum.  Trust me, I lost a good spot at a Manu Bennett panel because I didn't say to some girl "You're just taking up two seats, you don't really need two do you?" (and no, she was not a large person so didn't need more than one seat!). Talk to everyone in the queue - you're all fellow nerds, the 'we have nothing in common' icebreaker won't be there.  I struck up some great conversations and kept bumping into people throughout the weekend - it was like meeting old friends.

Don't be afraid to go up to the spectacularly-costumed and tell them they look amazing.  If you're a guy and the costumed person is a girl and dressed skimpily, watch how you phrase the praise :)

If you have a tight schedule, run - if you can - between things.  It'll help burn off all those snacks you'll consume because you don't have time for proper meals.

Don't be afraid to ask questions at panels.  Chances are your questions will be a lot more insightful that a lot of other peoples (not that there's anything wrong with that, but surely stars are kind of over "What's it like to kiss so and so?" "How much of your own stuntwork do you do?" etc).

• Love 1

CN2tajeUAAAVdxU.jpg

LMAO, they went to Japan. I don't even care how, I just need someone to help me because they're so cute. 

S

e   

n

d

H

e

l

p

|  |

|0|

|

/ \

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 10

LMAO I think SA and EBR are just standing in front of a green screen and the writers just put whatever background they wanted. The second image looks like the one where they're hiking but they're no where near that mountain :p So it's safe to say them going to Japan is a joke :p

No but seriously why would they go to all that trouble of taking vacation photos only to split O/F up in a few episodes. Naw son. 

I can't stop laughing at MG's face. LMAO.

Edited by Guest

I couldn't care less what Oliver is wearing I'm just HEART EYES. 

Also, that's clearly Oliver's sweet spot! ;P

Thanks to MG for releasing these. It seriously doesn't take much to squeal over something. 

It looks like MG has his hand on Stephen's shoulder in that one pic. :)

Haha, it totally does. He looks like a creeper. LOL. So funny.

Edited by Guest

I thought the same thing when I saw that first pic. He's noshing on her neck again, HAHAHAHA! These are silly as hell but they put a huge grin on my face. I hope, even with the bad photoshop, they actually release some of these photos as a spread for, say, TV Guide or Entertainment Weekly :)

• Love 2