Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The starting line-up minus the pitcher are picked by the fans.  It is a popular vote for who the fans want to watch. You have to entice them to pay the big bucks somehow.   The manager then gets to pick the "2nd string"  and pitchers.  This usually (not always) gets the deserving players who were overlooked in the fan voting on  the team.  Unless things have changed, there has to be a representative from each team on the roster so occasionally someone deserving gets left off because he plays the same position as the best player on an abysmal team.

Best stats doesn't always equal best players to watch.  Some "stars" have great stats but don't do much to help their team because they are interested in their numbers more than being a team player. 

I can understand this "popular vote" process if it was just about who the fans wanted to see all on the field together, but they've made it about home field advantage in the World Series for the winner of the ASG.  Even though my team won't come anywhere near the playoffs this year, as an American League fan, I'm not confident the AL can win home field advantage with a KC heavy lineup.  My terrible Red Sox killed them this past weekend and made them look awful.  If it was just about a showcase of popular players with nothing riding on it, then have at it with the popular vote - but when it's to earn something as important as home field advantage, each league should have their BEST players out there, regardless of how popular or fantastic they are to watch.

Edited by catahoulamama

Did any of you see his tweet about "the funniest thing," which was a link to a (spoof?) info-ad about panties that hide a camel toe? It was pretty gross, and I was really surprised he went there, especially because he tends to keep his social media pretty PG and inoffensive. He can be obnoxious, sure, but he isn't usually blatantly offensive.

I don't know how to link to his Twitter; it's just something I saw in passing. I hoped he'd been hacked or that there was some other explanation because it seems so out of character for his public persona. I always got the impression that he had a healthy respect for women--hope I'm not wrong. Maybe he found it utterly ridiculous and was laughing at its stupidity?

I mean, he's kind of sexist.  Not misogynistic, but he definitely seems to think women should be modest and daughters should be protected, etc.  He's the dad who tells boys not to touch his daughter, not the dad who tells boys that whether or not they touch her is her decision.  I totally get it, it's a very typical and non-hateful mindset, but as a feminist it's not a mindset I'm a fan of. 

• Love 8

I can understand this "popular vote" process if it was just about who the fans wanted to see all on the field together, but they've made it about home field advantage in the World Series for the winner of the ASG.  Even though my team won't come anywhere near the playoffs this year, as an American League fan, I'm not confident the AL can win home field advantage with a KC heavy lineup.  My terrible Red Sox killed them this past weekend and made them look awful.  If it was just about a showcase of popular players with nothing riding on it, then have at it with the popular vote - but when it's to earn something as important as home field advantage, each league should have their BEST players out there, regardless of how popular or fantastic they are to watch.

I think we've gotten way off topic so my final thought.  The all-star game originally had nothing riding on it.  It was just a showcase for the players.  Home field advantage for the World Series rotated by year.  I don't remember the year it changed but part of the reason was because some of the stars wanted the 3-days off since it was a meaningless game.  They gave it meaning but didn't change the selection process.

As for Boston vs KC: From 1991-1997+ the Atlanta Braves led their league/division.  In 1993 the Florida Marlins expansion team had an abysmal season but they totally owned the Braves.  It's why they play the games on the field and not just on paper.  Also, the Braves had better road records than home in several of those years IIRC.

• Love 1

I think we've gotten way off topic so my final thought.  The all-star game originally had nothing riding on it.  It was just a showcase for the players.  Home field advantage for the World Series rotated by year.  I don't remember the year it changed but part of the reason was because some of the stars wanted the 3-days off since it was a meaningless game.  They gave it meaning but didn't change the selection process.

As for Boston vs KC: From 1991-1997+ the Atlanta Braves led their league/division.  In 1993 the Florida Marlins expansion team had an abysmal season but they totally owned the Braves.  It's why they play the games on the field and not just on paper.  Also, the Braves had better road records than home in several of those years IIRC.

They added the home field advantage decision fairly recently..I'd say maybe between 5 and 10 years? At any rate, now that they have changed it, it should change the "showcase" aspect of the game as well and put the current most productive players in there.  It'd be like picking "popular" athletes to represent in the Olympics. Granted, it's not the Olympics, but you want the best when there's something riding on it.  Re: BOS vs KC: There are countless examples like you made - teams on paper that should be fantastic on the field and just aren't for a number of reasons or own a specific team.  However, this terrible BOS team (on the field and stats) still killed the "All Stars" (KC) on the field. The KC players nominated to the ASG DON'T have the best numbers and they also looked incapable of winning home field advantage for the AL. 

To still keep it on topic-ish, it really was quite a feat for SA to nearly close the gap for Donaldson in the span of a week...even his inner fratboy gets things done..LOL

• Love 1

Did any of you see his tweet about "the funniest thing," which was a link to a (spoof?) info-ad about panties that hide a camel toe? It was pretty gross, and I was really surprised he went there, especially because he tends to keep his social media pretty PG and inoffensive. He can be obnoxious, sure, but he isn't usually blatantly offensive.

I don't know how to link to his Twitter; it's just something I saw in passing. I hoped he'd been hacked or that there was some other explanation because it seems so out of character for his public persona. I always got the impression that he had a healthy respect for women--hope I'm not wrong. Maybe he found it utterly ridiculous and was laughing at its stupidity?

ETA: Hopefully, this link works: https://mobile.twitter.com/amellywood/status/613071343517626368?cn=cmVjb3NfbmV0d29ya19kaWdlc3RfdHJpZ2dlcmVk&nid=244%2040&refsrc=email&sig=72c0241a4bb2740c18f9d5780dc16c9ef9a214af&t=1&uid=515448086&autoactions=1435005743&iid=54aa97d60daa4998b42b93222f9505a5&al=1

I wasn't surprised by the tweet because I feel like SA sometimes acts like a 12-year-old boy, and that's exactly the kind of thing a kid would think was funny. 

Occasional juvenile jokes and catty posts about actresses aside, I think he's usually able to tread the fine line of being interesting and entertaining without being offensive, unlike, say, Adam Baldwin or Patton Oswalt.

• Love 2

I think SA can be sexist and immature, but that site is real, those underwear are real, and I thought the interview with the creator was ridiculous (and unintentionally funny). I mean, she talks about not being to pay attention to a woman during an interview because she was staring at her camel toe.

• Love 4

I couldn't figure out whether to put this here or in small talk, I settled for here since the discussions have been happening here regarding Stephen's campaign. The national post wrote an article claiming Donaldson' jumping up in the ranks is due to Don Cherry.

Bummer for you Stephen.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com//sports/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-josh-donaldson-gains-ground-in-all-star-votes-after-endorsement-from-don-cherry

(edited)

SA did mention the article on FB:

CIMGugtUAAAedh2.jpg

Ugh. I mean, I don't have any doubt that the voting surge is because of SA's efforts, but since Don Cherry has been talking about it too, just ignore that article, dude. This makes you look petty.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 8
(edited)

Lol that is what I said. The ;) meant it as a joke point. Of course he wants to be credited. Otherwise he wouldn't have taken the push to his social media. Stephen uses Social media as Stephen promotion.

He wants the credit has nothing to do with the fans.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

He wants the credit has nothing to do with the fans.

Yeah, that's the vibe I got.   Does he want Donaldson in there because he really believes he's the best, or because he likes the power he has on social media and enjoys the attention he'd get from unleashing his fans on MLB...Seems like maybe both motives are at least equal after today's tweets. Note to Stephen, your ego's showing there dude.

• Love 3

Lol that is what I said. The ;) meant it as a joke point. Of course he wants to be credited. Otherwise he wouldn't have taken the push to his social media. Stephen uses Social media as Stephen promotion.

Sorry, I missed that.

Stephen uses Social media as Stephen promotion.

And that is what is becoming so annoying with him lately.  I miss the days when he truly appreciated his fan base (I remember when he hit 200,000 FB friends) and didn't use them to only prop his ego.

• Love 3

His jump from using to his fan base for charitable causes that could save lives to using it over a sports thing is pretty ridiculous. 

When he mentioned needing people's help with something (before he announced the All-Star thing), I was really surprised that it ended up being so unimportant, haha. I think this is okay, generally speaking, even though he's gone a bit too far with hit. He doesn't have to be all charity all the time, I mean, he's allowed to do something fun once in a while. But even the last charity campaign was focused on getting a word he came up with into the dictionary. That is absolutely not to say that his heart isn't in the right place - I truly believe that it is, and he does so much more with his social media presence than other celebrities do. So, I don't mind a little self-promotion, but it's when things get petty (like with that comment about Don Cherry) that it starts to make me go "ew." 

• Love 4
(edited)

I mean..wanting credit for something he's at least partly responsible for is human and perfectly natural.

He's also perfectly capable of pointing out that the article omitted him without being a jerk about it. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

When he mentioned needing people's help with something (before he announced the All-Star thing), I was really surprised that it ended up being so unimportant, haha. I think this is okay, generally speaking, even though he's gone a bit too far with hit. He doesn't have to be all charity all the time, I mean, he's allowed to do something fun once in a while. But even the last charity campaign was focused on getting a word he came up with into the dictionary. That is absolutely not to say that his heart isn't in the right place - I truly believe that it is, and he does so much more with his social media presence than other celebrities do. So, I don't mind a little self-promotion, but it's when things get petty (like with that comment about Don Cherry) that it starts to make me go "ew." 

Oh yeah, I mean my personal opinion of eww sports is definitely in play with how I'm judging him. I guess for me it's just a bit weird to put in as much effort (if not more) into a sports competition as you would into a cause that you've seen save peoples lives. In his defense he is (sort of) on holiday, and he's probably got a bit more free time on his hands to film all the videos than he did back when he was filming Arrow. 

I mean, I don't mind a bit of self promotion. If he was getting people to vote for Arrow, or getting people excited for TMNT I'd be completely fine with it. But because it's something that doesn't directly affect him, and because he's launched such a massive campaign for it, I do have to fight the urge to roll my eyes every time one of his posts come up on my facebook feed. 

To be honest I find his antics more amusing than anything else. This is a bit awful to admit, but I don't really follow him on social media to keep up with his life. The constant deleting, backpedaling, and sometimes shitty comments make keeping up with him almost like watching one of those reality shows he probably hates. I also like meme monday. 

It just makes it seem like he was upset that he didn't get his name put in the newspaper. 

His name is in the article. 

His jump from using to his fan base for charitable causes that could save lives to using it over a sports thing is pretty ridiculous. 

It's something he gets excited about.  That's ok.  People don't have to vote if they didn't want to.  I voted (all 35 times allowed) mostly because I hate when things are unfair and I wanted to help send a message.  AND after I read the article, I was a little annoyed that my 35 votes were credited to some dude I've never heard of.  I'm backing SA on this. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Ah, I didn't read it. I wish I didn't know that, because it makes his comments worse to me, since he's not upset he didn't get credit, he's upset he's not getting all the credit or isn't the main focus of the credit. (ETA: never mind - seems he was added after the fact. My second point still stands though) I'd maybe feel a little differently about it if he'd mentioned something about his fans in his response apart from complaining because Don Cherry wasn't the one who "spurred the global online community to rally behind a task" or whatever.

Edited by apinknightmare
(edited)

I think he doth protest too much...
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/posts/875580119193923 (posting here in case in gets deleted)

Facebook. I rarely write lengthy posts. Give it a read, please.

So... I'm going to take issue with something. Here's a comment from a recent video that I did. Who wrote it isn't important. I deleted it so no one felt the need to find this person and get nasty. That's not who we are. Don't write their name in the comments. I'll block you. Seem fair? Ok!!

This person is taking issue with me ribbing Royals fans and saying they probably did something illegal in my bid to get someone else elected to the ASG. Here you go:

"Ooh! I've got a new flashback scene for you Stephen! It was back to when you used your celebrity status to help deserving charities as a genuine philanthropist. Snap to now, when you use it for a pointless baseball game and to shit all over your Kansas City fanbase. Folks who spent money to support your philanthropic movements that you now flip the bird to. You have failed this fanbase. Great power = great responsibility. Hero 101. Stop using yours like a douchebag."

So... Couple of things.

First: It's sports. I'm a sports fan. Part of being a sports fan is making fun of other fan bases. As a matter of fact, I think it might be one of the first rules. You know who I make fun off more than anyone? The Toronto Maple Leafs. Why? Because they're awful. And... I'm FROM Toronto. It's not a commentary on the city (love TO) or the fan base (AWESOME FANS). It's a commentary on management and player personnel decisions. If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Just this year I paid my first visit to KC even though my schedule changed last minute and I had to catch a red eye that connected in Chicago after a full day of press in LA. Loved it. People were and are spectacular.

Second: This is my page. I run it. Exclusively. If you want generic opinions written by PR companies, there are plenty of those pages available. The upside - or downside if you have the emotional capacity of an overtired toddler - is that I actually say what's on my mind. Here's the best part about that: I'm not always right, but I don't always have to be. They're just opinions. So I can stick by them. Every once and a while, I make a mistake, this was not one of those times.

Third: Hey Kansas City Royals fans? Say it out loud: YOU ALMOSY CERTAINLY CHEATED AND YOU WERE ALMOST CERTAINLY CAUGHT. You all know this. Here's what I haven't said: GREAT EFFING JOB!! I applaud your effort. If it were the Jays, I'd be fiercely defending the ingenuity. As it stands, I'm rallying behind my guy / team because I want to and I can. And isn't this really about Major League Baseball being exposed for a completely ridiculous and outdated voting system? This'd be like if MLB made billions of dollars off players on so many steroids they were growing extra elbows and then shunning those same players when congress started snooping around. Oh wait... That happened.

Fourth: Over the past 11 months - with no prior experience whatsoever - I have conceived of, organized, initiated and executed five separate charitable campaigns (and numerous smaller campaigns through donating signed items and NP Parties) that have raised in excess of two million dollars. Why? Because I felt like it. So I'm terribly sorry if I felt like dabbling in a new arena. I probably should've been scouting another under appreciated group of hard working individuals so our community could fundamentally alter their capacity to help people through charitable donations that outpace their yearly operating budgets by staggering margins. My bad.

Fifth: If you think I'm failing in this endeavor, you're wrong. We - as a community on Facebook - do not fail. Is it sort of stupid? Sure. Does it actually matter in the grand scheme of things? Nope. Does everyone deserve a break now and then to peruse and pursue things they find entertaining? They do, they do.

XO. Captain.
Edited by BumpSetSpike
(edited)

I think it's like fans voting or campaigning for Arrow in whatever poll is going on. It's not hurting anyone, and his fans don't have to do anything if they don't want to. I guess his rabid enthusiasm could be annoying, but I just don't watch those videos. 

I've side eyed several of his comments and the arrogance can grate, but this one doesn't bother me. Probably because I follow no sports (sorry hockey - I miss you!) 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 5

I think it's like fans voting or campaigning for Arrow in whatever poll is going on. It's not hurting anyone, and his fans don't have to do anything if they don't want to. I guess his rabid enthusiasm could be annoying, but I just don't watch those videos.

Yeah, I don't see the harm in anything he's posted about the All Star voting.   

• Love 1

It's something he gets excited about. That's ok. People don't have to vote if they didn't want to. I voted (all 35 times allowed) mostly because I hate when things are unfair and I wanted to help send a message. AND after I read the article, I was a little annoyed that my 35 votes were credited to some dude I've never heard of. I'm backing SA on this.

It's not that I particularly care, more that I find it particularly amusing the way he's going about it.

• Love 1

I have no problem with SA's All Star voting push and I say this as someone whose team is in the same division as the Jays.  I find it hilarious.  Now granted I didn't vote for the guy he was pushing any more than I would vote for someone from any other team in my division. But it's his page, he's not hurting anyone and if people don't like his All Star posts, then don't read them.

• Love 5
(edited)

It's not that I particularly care, more that I find it particularly amusing the way he's going about it.

Same. I don't care what he posts about on his page as long as he's not passive-agressively slut shaming ala his sexual velociraptor post. I just don't like it when his competitiveness makes him seem petty and arrogant, like it did with the whole Don Cherry commentary. 

Edited by apinknightmare

She mentioned in her latest Con appearance that her and Barrowman played a joke or something during a stunt…something like that.

No, I don't think that was on there. She had a few bloopers, but I couldn't find one with her and Barrowman.

(edited)

This is not an amazing accomplishment (because the bar wasn't set high in season 3) but I thought I'd leave this over here. I do have hope because the writers seem excited about S4, moreso than they were about S3 (if I recall correctly)

tumblr_nqf85025an1slneb8o1_400.png

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2