Type keyword(s) to search

Gina Linetti: The Administrator

• Start Topic

I have not been a huge fan of Gina's overall (she's basically The Pierce to me), but I'm hopeful that her storyline in the most recent episode - being scared after her home has been robbed - softens up the character at least a little bit going forward. I haven't seen Chelsea Peretti in anything other than this, and her delivery is really very good - or, in the case of "Rosa died eight years ago," her delivery is perfection - so I hope that we do get to see more from her than near-constant abrasiveness, which I find out of tune with the rest of the show.

• Love 2

Is anyone else liking Gina a lot more this season? She's still my least favorite of the main characters, but now that's more about how much I love everyone else than about how much she irks me. I don't know if she's being written or directed any differently, or if maybe I've just gotten oddly used to her by now :) 

I have to say, Gina is a tough nut, but even last season, I found she always exhibited enough humanity and concern for others that I've always liked her.  When Charles was on his pain pills last season and was dropping his truth bombs, he totally nailed her diagnosis: she's mean to cover up her own pain.  Plus, I really love the way she loves dance, and just doesn't give a shit that she's terrible at it.  We should all embrace our passions so fearlessly!  I agree she's better and more likable when she's toned down a bit, but I must admit, I really find her remarkably funny at times, and I think she can be as heartwarming as the rest of the characters.  More so, at times, because it's less expected of her.

I'm a Gina fan too--there are a few of us out there. :) I prefer her when she resembles an actual human--a self-centered, skewed human, but human nonetheless. I loved the episode that revealed that she owns that apartment and is fiscally conscious, while Jake is a total child about finances. It was a surprising dimension to her character, and one I appreciated. Learning she was taking classes this season was similarly cool. It's not the expected route for her, but I believe it, and it makes her seem more grounded. If on the one hand, she's practical and pragmatic about her career and her money, and on the other hand she speaks in Emoji, then that second part is funnier. If all she is is a collection of quirks and abrasiveness, then I get bored. So I hope they continue to develop her character and don't just use her to make all the mean jokes.

• Love 5

In re-watching past episodes recently, I've been going back and forth on whether I like Gina or not. In the end, I'm pretty sure I do like her character, but as someone else said, I like her more when she's more human and her attitude is toned down. I was hoping the last episode would help with that, but ah well. Though sometimes it depends on who she shares her scenes with. I'm kinda hoping she gets less scenes with Boyle in upcoming episodes cause I feel like she's at her worst with him and that she gets more with Jake and Holt because she's friendlier/more professional with them. 

However, I do actually like her character, and it mostly has to do with Chelsea's line delivery. 

I thought she was great in the last episode, and she does want to be friends with Amy(at least hoping she's fun when she gets six drinks in her).

I also had know idea she and Jordan Peele of Key and Peele were dating. I missed them being together on the red carpet at the Emmys. Here's them on a trip to Europe, which she mentioned when she was on Letterman last night:

tumblr_nhk9od01dn1rj8hfmo1_500.png

• Love 2

Reading the difference of opinions about Gina, I do wonder if those of us who like Gina are fans of Chelsea Perretti because the mean humor to her friends is just how they role. Some of the stuff she has said to human golden retriever Pete Holmes makes the things she says to Amy seem downright sweet. It's just how their humor and friendship works.

Reading the difference of opinions about Gina, I do wonder if those of us who like Gina are fans of Chelsea Perretti because the mean humor to her friends is just how they role. Some of the stuff she has said to human golden retriever Pete Holmes makes the things she says to Amy seem downright sweet. It's just how their humor and friendship works.

Mean humour is fine, as long as you have the charm to pull it off and it's not the only arrow in your quiver. For Chelsea Perretti, I've yet to see that either of those things are the case.

All Gina is, in my view, is unpleasant and generally not very funny. A bad combination in any circumstances, but on a show where everything else is excellent, it's just jarring and annoying.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
I also had know idea she and Jordan Peele of Key and Peele were dating.

This fun fact led me to The Google, which also revealed that her brother founded Buzzfeed (and co-founded The Huffington Post). That's family with some talent.

Interesting, because I've just started listening to her podcast (which admittedly she doesn't do very often--the website for it says "weekly" but the reality seems to be since Brooklyn-99 that she's often got big gaps of like 5-6 weeks), and I'd say she's pretty different than the character of Gina on it.  

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/call-chelsea-peretti/

Didn't say they were the same, I just said that her humor with her friends comes from the same place that Gina's remarks comes from and it's a similar relationship she has with both Dan Goor and Mike Schur that they have always talked about loving when she was working for them on Parks and Rec. She also exhibits that sort of behavior on her podcast where she routinely mocks callers (in I think a funny way) or hangs up on them.

Though it should also be mentioned that any of the four Farts and Procreation on Comedy Bang Bang with her Adam Scott, and Harris Wittels are also a delight (though the fourth which was filmed before but posted after Harris' death can be heard to get through not only because of Auckerman near tears in the intro but the subject matter of death). and she has been on numerous You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes, including a few episodes where she dissects everything he did wrong that are a treat.

Gina's really been growing on me lately. I don't know whether there's something different about the writing, acting etc. or whether I've just gotten used to her with frequent rewatches. She adds a unique energy, and even when it's not one that I necessarily LIKE, it's part of what makes the show distinctly B99, you know?! 

...I'm pretty sure that made more sense in my head :) 

• Love 2

I also love Chelsea Peretti's stuff outside of B99 so it's bothered me for a long time that I couldn't quite put my finger on what bothered me about Gina. I like Peretti; I don't like Gina. But why? 

The other day it struck me during an I-have-insomnia binge watch that the problem was that Gina's successes are rarely earned. There's a deus ex machina quality to every Gina story that makes her character border on 50% spank bank, 50% Mary Sue depending on the inclination of the writer.

• Love 4

In doing a rewatch, I noticed that they really backed off the Jake/Gina childhood friendship thing, which I know is an AS and CP thing. Jake got her the job at the 99 originally and Gina called Jake's Nana, Nana and it's referenced other times occasionally but there's not much beyond that. Meanwhile Jake and Rosa's academy friendship is more touched upon whilst it also becomes "Gina randomly usually saves the Day" and "Holt Loves her for NO Reason". 

And "you just drank cement!" is the dumbest most awful things that any comedy ever came up with. Most of the precinct should have run to the nearest hospital, at least toilet or even been allowed to have a win against her, not just shrugged it off and whilst a lot of people might have found it funny if they follow her on SM, at least some would have reported her. 

• Love 2