Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Integrity Test

With Oliver still the prime suspect in the bombing of 15’s evidence room, Andy, Dov, Gail, and Nick undertake a risky – and potentially career-ending – plan to prove that Commissioner Alonso Santana is corrupt. Meanwhile Traci shadows Steve Peck, hoping to calm her fears about his involvement in the bombing.

That was a great episode. Loved all the suspense through out the episode. 

Andy, Dov, Gail and Nick solved everything in a few hours that IA had been trying to do for months. 

Traci should have told at least Sam and Andy about Steve being ID'd, instead she kept it quiet and didn't tell them. Even when Andy brought up showing pictures to the guy.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Traci didn't tell at least Andy about Other Peck's being identified as "Oliver Shaw." I mean, other than drawing out the suspense to its maximum.

And of course Andy ends up being the one who confronts Other Peck by herself. I don't know how Frosty and Nick got back to the warehouse in time (by pure luck, I suppose) but I'm glad there was backup eventually.

I'm not sure Oliver will just go happily back to being everybody's Ol' Dependable Staff. Something about that last scene with him and Noelle in the Penny suggested that he's not entirely satisfied with an apology only from Noelle, as much as he respects her.

• Love 2

I'm not sure Oliver will just go happily back to being everybody's Ol' Dependable Staff. Something about that last scene with him and Noelle in the Penny suggested that he's not entirely satisfied with an apology only from Noelle, as much as he respects her.

I agree that this should change Oliver's character. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. I like Oliver. Not sure how much time there is to develop anything new with him, esp. given the Andy/Sam time that they seem to need to add to most episodes. But a change to Oliver could be interesting.

I sort of wish they'd given more reaction from Gail/Traci rather than pushing everything through the Andy/Sam filter. Again.

Yeah, I'm a little tired of the Andy/Sam view of everything.

I can't really buy Duncan as happy to turn in stepfather, esp. as stepfather was the first one he ran to to make sure he could keep his job. Duncant 2.0 is just as bad as 1.0.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't usually find Frosty's emotional life that compelling (... or even present) but I felt for her this episode.

I'm confused -- I thought Don'tcan't's stepfather was Inspector Jerkface Jarvis, and not Commissioner Slimeball?

Loved the "OMFG I'm such a dumbass" look on Diaz's face after the Inspector told him Jamie was his problem now.

Edited by Sandman

Dear Lord - that was horrible, even for this show's standards. We've got tons of forced scenes that made no sense with regards to character continuity or dramatic logic.

Traci spencs endless hours with a deer-in-healdlights look instead of becoming proactive (talk to someone on the 'save Oliver team', do your own investigation, confront Steve)? All she could muster was some lame checking of his cell and following him around. And she did not even come clean at the end of the episode telling people that the bomber would identify Peck as the one buying the explosives. Everything she did was completely out of character as if they had replaced her with Zombie Traci.

And of course the big confrontation in the warehouse had to be between McNally and Steve. Nevermind that there are two characters on this show who could have brought so much more drama and emotional heft to that scene: Traci or Gail should have been the logic choice for any writer whose hands are not bound by an 'all big drama has to involve McNally'-rule in their contract. (Seriously there's no other way to explain that extremely forced scene.)

And of course Duncan and his stepfather - who so far had quite a chummy relationship - all of sudden suffer a well-timed spat and at the end of the episode Duncan's all of a sudden a magnanimous team-player.

Oh and I like Sam's take on morality and the nature of evil: Peck's not bad he just did bad things - based on what logic? And does he apply the same line of thought to all the perps he's yelled at in the interrogation room?

As for the 'next week' segment *sigh*

• Love 1

I sort of wish they'd given more reaction from Gail/Traci rather than pushing everything through the Andy/Sam filter. Again.

And of course the big confrontation in the warehouse had to be between McNally and Steve. Nevermind that there are two characters on this show who could have brought so much more drama and emotional heft to that scene: Traci or Gail should have been the logic choice for any writer whose hands are not bound by an 'all big drama has to involve McNally'-rule in their contract. (Seriously there's no other way to explain that extremely forced scene.)

I completely agree with both of you. Ugh, I was so frustrated with what could have been one of the stronger episodes this season. Traci's in some disconnected state all episode and doesn't even attempt to tie the pieces together. Completely OOC and unbelievable for a character who has always been proactive and independent. 

Why on earth would Andie have been the one Peck confessed to? Gail would have slayed that scene and instead she gets to say his name once? Really, show? Didn't they develop the backstory of the Pecks being a cop legacy family and it was crucial to Gail's characterization? Traci could have been shown to be conflicted about turning him in. Even Sam, who he's butted heads with occasionally would have made more sense. But no, Andie gets to butt in with a character we've never even seen her talk to.

And considering she said it was her job to take care of Gail and Traci now, the episode ends with her going home to snuggle with Sam? What a self-absorbed piece of crap. Your best friend, who always comes through for you, just found out her boyfriend, the first man she's loved since her fiance died, is a dirty cop and your reaction is to go home and change into her jammies. Not to mention Gail, who would be devastated and have to go face the Peck legacy parents...

If the writers want me to hate their lead character, they're doing a fine job. Everytime there's a great ensemble cast, TPTB decides to make a star out of the least interesting character to the detriment of the show,

• Love 2

And of course Andy ends up being the one who confronts Other Peck by herself. I don't know how Frosty and Nick got back to the warehouse in time (by pure luck, I suppose) but I'm glad there was backup eventually.

I'm thinking the call was a fake by Santana to get Gail & Nick away. That's why they returned so fast, since the call came in at the same 20 min window that Santana disappeared and Steve showed up. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Dear Lord - that was horrible, even for this show's standards. We've got tons of forced scenes that made no sense with regards to character continuity or dramatic logic.

Traci spencs endless hours with a deer-in-healdlights look instead of becoming proactive (talk to someone on the 'save Oliver team', do your own investigation, confront Steve)? All she could muster was some lame checking of his cell and following him around. And she did not even come clean at the end of the episode telling people that the bomber would identify Peck as the one buying the explosives. Everything she did was completely out of character as if they had replaced her with Zombie Traci.

And of course Duncan and his stepfather - who so far had quite a chummy relationship - all of sudden suffer a well-timed spat and at the end of the episode Duncan's all of a sudden a magnanimous team-player.

Oh and I like Sam's take on morality and the nature of evil: Peck's not bad he just did bad things - based on what logic? And does he apply the same line of thought to all the perps he's yelled at in the interrogation room?

As for the 'next week' segment *sigh*

I KNOW - bad, BAD! 

Not that I expect much from this show, except for a few delightful performances, but that was not an easy watch.  That scene between Steve and Andy?  And between Steve and Traci?  Steve!!!  Pacing was brutal all over the place.  It drives me crazy when I'm like "how long can this song possibly last"  BECAUSE ITS BEEN A THOUSAND YEARS SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE SCENE.  They have such great resources on this show and I can't think of a less interesting character than Sam, other than Andy.

Also, what happened to Traci's rigour?  She spent the whole episode staring until the camera moved.

I made my peace a long time ago with fact that this show is just a shonda rhimesian algorithm, but at least distract me now and again with less conspicuous pacing.  Dear Lord is right!    

Next week, nobody can see it coming except everyone ever.

Edited by runforcover
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, this episode both did violence to the characterization of Traci -- who's always had initiative and determination, as well as being the smartest Rookie by a significant margin -- and missed a huge opportunity with Gail, whose rebarbative, hard-shelled nature obviously had to come from somewhere. It's too bad, because most of the time I want to like Andy, and there are certain things about Peregrym's performance that I actually do like, but the show's determination to make everything centre on her is counterproductive.

On the up side, I think "shonda rhimesian algorithm" and "nobody can see it coming except everyone ever" are currently tied for my newest favourite thing.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4

But Santana didn't know that Gail and nick were there. He wouldn't even be aware that it was a set up so he'd have no reason, other than Andy being sketchy around him.

My complaints are the same as usual - too much Andy. And now she so involved with the birth next week. Of course.

I'm hoping there's some conclusion to the fact that Gail said she doesn't trust/like liars to Nick, and the fallout with her bro. Though it seemed like she was pushing Tracy to talk to him next week which goes against the thing we saw her say 40min before...

• Love 1

But Santana didn't know that Gail and nick were there. He wouldn't even be aware that it was a set up so he'd have no reason, other than Andy being sketchy around him.

I'm sure it was easy to figure out, Andy was following him. She and Dov were whispering, he figured out stepson was played by them. Figuring out that Andy probably had the other 2 in their clique watching the house was probably an easy deduction to make.

I think Andy, when she confronted Steve in the warehouse, mentioned that she was going to call Gail pressed the record button on her phone or did indeed place the call to Gail for Gail to overhear. 

I realize everyone here isn't a huge fan of Andy but I can't jump on the hate train, my daughter could be Andy's double (although she is probably 6 inches shorter than Andy) all I see on my screen is my daughter. 

Then your daughter must be a very good looking woman! I don't hate Andy's character just the writing for her. I wish the writers would find a better balance between the show's leading lady and all the other cast members. To be honest I would wish this was more of an ensemble show but it's quite clear it isn't. Other shows with a similar set-up have managed to handle the balance between lead character and ensemble so much better - Grey's Anatomy for example. Rookie Blue is really struggling to let other characters breathe and have their own story and this episode brought that underlying problem rather forcefully to the surface - hence the many negative comments.

For me, it is mostly the writing for Andy. They give her all the big plots so then all the 'B' plots are left for the other characters to fight over. I wish we got more Gail and Traci with their reactions to Steve, but nope. It had to be all about Andy again. Just like earlier this season, with Marlo/Dov. Which...by the way......Dov and Marlo should have gotten this win. They did so much of the initial research and helped paved the way for Steve getting caught. Goddamnit, both of them should get recognition for that!

I still really, really dislike Duncan. At least with Andy, she's not annoying and she has some good scenes with Traci and Nick and sometimes even Sam. With Duncan, every time he's with some other character, I feel sorry for the other character who gets stuck with him. He's an awful character, just awful. 

I feel bad for Traci; I was hoping Steve would be a good guy, especially with the constant suspicions surrounding his character. And poor Gail. I guess Traci will find a new boyfriend eventually. But what about Gail? Her parents are probably going to be harder on Gail because of this.

But too bad we're not going to see any of this, because for some reason, Sam/Andy is apparently all the rage for this show. Who knew.

• Love 5

But what about Gail? Her parents are probably going to be harder on Gail because of this.

I agree, there should be a huge fallout for this. The Peck's are supposed to be like a first Royalty family of the Toronto PD. It doesn't make sense that with Steve's family status he'd even end up in this.

I dunno, if Steve was raised believing he was the Golden Boy who had to succeed at all costs, and maybe not being as morally strict as Gail when it came to getting what he thought he deserved, I could see him hiding evidence, to make things easier on himself, as long as he thinks he's doing it for the right reason. And then being found out, and blackmailed into doing it more, and at someone else's behest, so that he doesn't lose his Golden Boy status. (Admittedly I've always found Steve kind of skeevy, so willing to believe he was a secret bad guy all along.)

• Love 1

Another good episode. Was not expecting Brother Peck to be the one going to the warehouse for the hard drives, but I guess it made sense. It would have been better if Gail or Traci had been the one taking in Peck's admission and arresting him. But I guess Gail had her moment with her brother 2 episodes ago. I really, really hated that Traci didn't say anything to anyone when Brother Peck called her and the bomb dude saw his picture on her phone. I mean, really Traci? I understand she loves him and her instincts probably were to protect him, but as he got fishier and fishier during the episode, she should have at least talked to Andy about her suspicions (and the fact bomb dude identified him as the one having bought the bombs). 

• Love 1

I meant say how much I love the fact that the episode summary calls the Rookies' plan to test Santana risky "and potentially career-ending" -- that's different from Andy's usual kamikaze career moves how, exactly?

(edited)

I am so late on replying to this thread since I am watching episode 11 right now, but I my heart broke when Steve turned out to be corrupt.... I dunno if I am in the minority or majority about this, but I really wanted Steve + Traci to work out + live happily ever after.... But, that is all went to shit.... ;-x

Edited by OrientalAmish

Traci should have told at least Sam and Andy about Steve being ID'd, instead she kept it quiet and didn't tell them. Even when Andy brought up showing pictures to the guy.

Yessir!

I don't understand why Traci didn't tell at least Andy about Other Peck's being identified as "Oliver Shaw." I mean, other than drawing out the suspense to its maximum.

<snip>

Yes again!

I think he goes back to patrol, which is what he loved. And does this mean we're in for an Andy/Sam and/or Andy/Oliver scene where she thanks/berates/cries baby shoes about Oliver "selling out" to allow her to keep her job? She didn't already know that for sure right? (I mean, she had to suspect..)

Yes times 3!   WHAT was this?? I was so sure last week that she was playing him to get more info. Then when he crawled in bed with her I thought she was dreaming. I kept waiting for the big reveal! And kept waiting! I cannot believe she didn't go running to Andy and Sam the second she was able to ditch him at the end of the night in last week's ep. Was she hoping it wasn't true? Didn't want to believe she fell for another jerk (Dex)? I miss Jerry.  :-((

I completely agree with both of you. Ugh, I was so frustrated with what could have been one of the stronger episodes this season. Traci's in some disconnected state all episode and doesn't even attempt to tie the pieces together. Completely OOC and unbelievable for a character who has always been proactive and independent. 

And considering she said it was her job to take care of Gail and Traci now, the episode ends with her going home to snuggle with Sam? What a self-absorbed piece of crap. Your best friend, who always comes through for you, just found out her boyfriend, the first man she's loved since her fiance died, is a dirty cop and your reaction is to go home and change into her jammies. Not to mention Gail, who would be devastated and have to go face the Peck legacy parents...

Yes quatro!

Seconded on Andy being the worst best friend Ever!

Poor Gail. That conversation with Lauren Holly gonna be ugly. Did we meet her father yet? Is Enrico free??? Aside from it being awful for Gail - she and Nick were engaged once, yes? So I'm guessing he and Steve were friends at the time, esp since his own brother wasn't in his life.

So does redhead IA girl stick around?

Good for Chloe for sticking up for herself even tho nobody cared about the C-plot.

ETA: Someone - please - tell me where Frank is and where is the baby!?!? 

Edited by betsyboo

I think Traci not reporting that they had a witness identifying Steve as "Oliver" who bought the explosives, makes her a dirty cop. That's a huge, huge thing to withhold from the investigation. And I think it's totally out of character for her, too.

• Love 3

Of course the big reveal about had to involve Andy. Not his sister, or his girlfriend which would have been more emotional. Sick of the Andy show. That scene with Steve and Traci was heartbreaking, though I am mad that she didn't expose him first.

The inspector was awesome towards Chris.

• Love 1