Type keyword(s) to search

Warm & Fuzzy Movie Moments

• Start Topic

(edited)

And yes, the scene in Toy Story 3 where Andy plays with his toys one last time. I get choked up at that, and it's ridiculous. But somehow, that moment seems to encapsulate everything that's tough about growing up and having to leave childhood behind. And then, from the toys' point of view, it's one last time for them to be with the kid they love, and there's such a great sense of closure to the whole thing.

I cried during that scene. That really was a great movie (all were actually).

Sam's speech at the end of The Two Towers . If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

Another sweet moment was the end of Schindler's List, which happened at the end of WWII, when Schindler, who had saved over 1,100 lives, broke down because he thought that he hadn't done enough and his then-wife and the survivors not only comforted him, moments before they gave him a special ring made out of their own gold fillings as a token of their appreciation. As far as I'm concerned, if more Germans had done what Schindler did when he didn't have to, the Holocaust might never have happened.

Even sweeter was the moment at the end of the film when some of the real-life survivors and the cast members who played them went to Schindler's grave to place stones on it, as another tribute to him and after it was almost covered with stones, the last person put two roses on it & I think it was Liam Neeson, who played Schindler.

• Love 4

Farmer Hogget singing "If I Had Words" and dancing the jig for Babe. James Cromwell could make a million movies and still Babe would be the first one we'd remember when he's gone.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

At the end of Mulan, when Mulan is showing her father all the things she got from the Emperor to honor the family, and he says "The greatest honor is having you for a daughter."  I cry like a freaking baby at that.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 5
(edited)

In tribute to the late, great Dr. Oliver Sacks, who wrote Awakenings, about a doctor who used an experimental drug to treat patients with so-called "sleeping sickness," and the late, great Robin Williams, who played him in the film version-and gave one of his best performances- here's the movie's penultimate scene, in which his character discusses the results of the experiment. It seems sad at first, but the message about the human spirit is beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLyhUgAA58

RIP, Dr. Sacks.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

From Straight Outta Compton

the scene when Dr. Dre learns about his brother's murder and is comforted by the rest of the group, including Eazy-E, who tells him that "[they'll] always be brothers, no matter what,"  which was beautiful, as was the candlelight memorial for Eazy-E after he died of AIDS 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

The finale of Les Miserables always gets me, specifically at the lines "It's the story of one who turned from hating/A man who only learned to love/When You were in his keeping."

And Valjean tweaks Cosette's nose while she sobs and says "I know it, Papa."

And I'm probably in the minority that loved the "Suddenly" song; Valjean's love for Cosette was an integral part of the story.

• Love 1

Yellow Submarine: After (rather meanly) taunting poor Jeremy with the song "Nowhere Man", Ringo is the only one of the Fab Four to sympathize with Jeremy (who is crying at this point) and offers to take him along on the journey. 

Jeremy: You mean you'd take a nowhere man?
Ringo: Yeah, come on. We'll take you somewhere.

Then, at the end, when Jeremy assists in defeating the Blue Meanies,

Ringo: First time I saw that Nowhere Man, that Nobody, I knew he was Somebody.

I love this movie to bits, and I love how, of all the Beatles, it's doofy, dorky Ringo who is the most instrumental (*rimshot*) at saving the day. Also, Jeremy Hillary Boob is one of my favorite movie characters ever. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7

The scene in The Elephant Man where John Merrick is visited by a famous actress (played by Anne Bancroft) and she gives him a picture of herself and a copy of Romeo and Juliet, which leads them into reading a scene together. She's so charmed by his kindness and manners and creativity that she kisses him and says "You're not an elephant man at all...you're Romeo!" It was nice to see that she was genuinely able to see past the disfigurement.

• Love 4

Beauty and the Beast: The Beast lets Belle go after she finds out that her father is sick and lost in the woods. When Cogswoth demands why he would do that right when he was so close to winning her heart and breaking the spell, the Beast replies, "Because...I love her."

This totally defeats the whole argument that the story was all about Stockholm Syndrome or domestic abuse. It's all about the Beast learning to think of others before himself. Sure, the Beast did start out as just seeing Belle as a means to breaking the spell, but when he starts to genuinely care about her, his main concern is making HER happy. And ultimately, he realizes that love means doing what's best for her and not for himself, and that he can't/won't force her to feel the way the same way that he feels about her. So even though it means he'll stay a beast and that he'll never see her again, he lets her go.

Robby Benson's delivery of that line was heartbreaking.

• Love 7

And when he gave her that library-awwwwwww!

I love the scene that led up to the Idea, with the Beast confessing to Cogsworth that he never felt that way about anyone, and then he gets this really determined look on his face and says "I want to do something for her!" And again, he takes the time to figure something that SHE would like.

I also thought the scene in the special edition where Belle teaches him how to read was adorable. I hope that goes in the upcoming live action movie.

• Love 4
(edited)

From Mad Max: Fury Road, the scene when Max not only saves Furiosa's life, he tells her his real name, is very sweet.  So are the scenes with Nux and Capable, especially when he told Capable about his two "friends" Larry & Barry, which were the two tumors on his neck, proving that Nux wasn't such a bad kid, just a very sick one.

Edited by DollEyes

I know we needed the dramatic kiss as the last petal fell, but I never understood why the curse wouldn't be lifted when he released her. Selfless love is what he needed to learn and what he showed in that scene. Who really cares if she loved him back? Also, how old was he when the witch placed the curse on him to begin with? If you do the math you find yourself wondering (1) whether the curse was just a little harsh for such a young child and (2) why he was allowed to open the door to strangers to begin with.

• Love 4

I know we needed the dramatic kiss as the last petal fell, but I never understood why the curse wouldn't be lifted when he released her. Selfless love is what he needed to learn and what he showed in that scene. Who really cares if she loved him back? Also, how old was he when the witch placed the curse on him to begin with? If you do the math you find yourself wondering (1) whether the curse was just a little harsh for such a young child and (2) why he was allowed to open the door to strangers to begin with.

Yeah, even as a rock-ribbed Beauty and the Beast fan/defender, even I have to admit those are irritating plot holes. In pretty much every version of the story, I always figured the curse had to be lifted not just by love, but by a declaration of love (it annoys me that they can't just specify that one little detail). That was definitely an act of true love on the Beast's part, and surely Belle heroically riding off to rescue him should have counted for something, but it all turned out right in the end, so there ya go.

Moving along, I love the ending of The Miracle Worker. After spending the majority of the movie battling each other and the rightfully iconic water pump scene (which always reduces me to a blubbering, incoherent mess), there is a crucial and positive shift in Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan's relationship. It's nighttime, and little Helen is searching the porch for Anne, finds her, and climbs into her lap. Tough-as-nails Anne completely melts at this, and signs (and whispers for our benefit), "good girl, Helen". Just... awwwww.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

The scene in Fiddler on The Roof where Teyve says goodbye to Hodel at the train station.

"God knows when we'll see each other again."

"Then let's leave it in His hands."

Almost enough to make me forget how he disowns Chava later for marrying a non-Jewish person. Almost.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

Watched For Love of the Game again the other day, and anybody who loves baseball knows that the relationship between a pitcher and a catcher is important, and how deep it runs, those are the 2 most important positions in the game.  Now that I've mentioned that, the scene I'm thinking of is when Billy realizes he's pitching a perfect game, Gus goes to the mound to talk to Billy and this comes about,

Gus: "What's the matter?"
Billy: "I don't know if I have anything left."
Gus: "Chappy, you just throw whatever you've got, whatever's left.  The boys are all here for you, we'll back you up, we'll be there, cause Billy, we don't stink right now.  We're the best team in baseball right now, right this minute, cause of you, you're the reason.  We're not gonna screw that up, we're gonna be awesome for you right now.  Just throw."

• Love 1

I love all the baseball stuff in For Love of the Game.  Hate every scene with Kelly Preston in it.

One of my favorite feel-good moments is the father-daughter talk in Sixteen Candles.  "That's why they call them crushes.  If they were easy, they'd call 'em something else."

• Love 5

The part in Moulin Rouge where Christian and Satine are making plans (and making out) backstage, and after Satine promises she'll be at his place later, Christian just gives her this big lovely smile, made even more adorable by the fact that his face is smeared with her lipstick.

• Love 1

From Cars, the Disney movie about a famous race car named Lightning McQueen getting stranded in a town along the famous Route 66, the scene when Lightning sacrificed his chance to win a big race to help another car named King finish his last race was sweet.

• Love 1

The scene in A League of Their Own when tryouts are over, but one woman is still staring at the board with all the lists of who made a team and who was cut.  The coach is getting impatient with her, telling her if she's on the cut list she'll have to leave, but one member of the Peaches realizes the problem and walks up to her, gently asking, "Can you read, honey?"  Upon confirming she can't, Helen asks her for her name, then scans the first team list and points to where "Shirley Baker" is written, saying, "This is you.  You're with us - you're a Rockford Peach." 

The two actors - Anne Ramsay and Ann Cusack - both play it perfectly, and it warms my heart every time.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

The scene in A League of Their Own when tryouts are over, but one woman is still staring at the board with all the lists of who made a team and who was cut.  The coach is getting impatient with her, telling her if she's on the cut list she'll have to leave, but one member of the Peaches realizes the problem and walks up to her, gently asking, "Can you read, honey?"  Upon confirming she can't, Helen asks her for her name, then scans the first team list and points to where "Shirley Baker" is written, saying, "This is you.  You're with us - you're a Rockford Peach." 

The two actors - Anne Ramsay and Ann Cusack - both play it perfectly, and it warms my heart every time.

How about later on in the movie, when the guy comes in with a telegram to inform one of the girls that their husband was killed, and when he's going to leave because he lost the name, Jimmy just grabs it from him, opens it, and delivers the message to Betty.  He didn't hesitate for a second to hug her and comfort her.

A horrible moment that showed how far Jimmy had grown, he didn't give a crap about them at the beginning of the movie, but they became his girls.

• Love 8

I know a horror movie has no earthly business in this thread but this scene in Child's Play of sweet little Andy making breakfast for his mother on his own birthday was just too cute.

All the poor kid wanted was a doll, and he wound up with Chucky :(

• Love 1

From The Martian, one of its sweetest moments was when Mark told Commander Lewis to contact his parents in case he died that he loved them and that they shouldn't be sad because he died doing what he loved. IMO, it was that moment that got Matt Damon another well-deserved Best Actor Oscar nomination. 

• Love 4

In It Could Happen To You, when Charlie tells Yvonne that he won the lottery and is giving her half of his winnings, I love it. She stops and asks if she can really accept it, and I want to yell, "Yes!" Every time.

• Love 5

I just love when Robbie sings "Growing Old with You" to Julia at the end of The Wedding Singer. Still makes me cry after watching it for the billionth time (and it's finally on Amazon Prime!).

• Love 6

The ending of Continental Divide, specifically when John Belushi and Blair Brown seem that they're about to part ways for good, yet at the last minute, they decide to get married, regardless of the fact they live in separate places. And even though it's a happy ending, there's a bittersweet feeling because this was John Belushi's second to last film, made in the last period of his life when he was clean and happy. Maybe this is hindsight, but it really does feel like he's saying goodbye to all of us:

Excuse me, I have something in my eye...

• Love 1

Michael Caine's character in Children of Men...

Spoiler

...killing his comatose wife with the Quietus assisted suicide kit because he knows he is about to be killed, and when he's gone there will be no-one to care for her. There are no words in the scene but the directing and acting are fantastic. You can see how much he cares for his wife and that he doesn't want her to suffer at the hands of brutal men. It's a dark scene, but the love shown by him makes it heartwarming even though I wouldn't exactly call it "warm and fuzzy." 

1 hour ago, PatternRec said:

Michael Caine's character in Children of Men...

Hide contents

...killing his comatose wife with the Quietus assisted suicide kit because he knows he is about to be killed, and when he's gone there will be no-one to care for her. There are no words in the scene but the directing and acting are fantastic. You can see how much he cares for his wife and that he doesn't want her to suffer at the hands of brutal men. It's a dark scene, but the love shown by him makes it heartwarming even though I wouldn't exactly call it "warm and fuzzy." 

I love that movie.  Very depressing, of course, but with some hope.  And the camera work is superb.

• Love 1

I also liked the part where Snoopy tries to console Charlie Brown after the disastrous school dance with one of the cupcakes he boggarted earlier.

Speaking of dogs, I rewatched Homeward Bound earlier this week.  The part where Shadow finds the lost little girl in the woods and leads the search party back to her was very sweet.  And I don't care how many times you watch it: if you don't get emotional when the theme plays and Shadow comes limping over the hill, right when Peter and the audience has given up hope, you have no soul.

• Love 6

I've probably shared before that I watched Homeward Bound for the first time on an airplane, and embarrassed the hell out of myself by just gushing tears.  But I get chills just picturing that scene when Shadow comes home.

• Love 5

Thought of some more!

A League of Their Own: Dottie reuniting with her husband.

And the way Batman finally revealed his identity to Gordon in The Dark Knight Rises, calling back to their first meeting: "A hero can be anyone...even a man doing as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended."

"....Bruce Wayne?!"

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I also liked the part where Snoopy tries to console Charlie Brown after the disastrous school dance with one of the cupcakes he boggarted earlier.

I'd say the entire Snoopy and Charlie Brown relationship should go in here.  Snoopy doing what he can to help out Charlie, Snoopy's joy whenever Charlie succeeds, and his complete compassion when Charlie fails.

And there's also the universe finally helping out Charlie Brown.

Wolverine waking up in the good future in Days of Future Past, and seeing a world of happiness and hope, and seeing that his friends and loved ones aren't dead.

Luke and R2's relationship in the Star Wars Saga.  Luke never treats R2 like a droid, he treats him like a member of the Skywalker family.  The best example was in A New Hope when Luke is offered a new droid, his response is "Not on your life, that little droid and I have been though a lot together.  You okay R2?"

Also from the Star Wars Saga, anytime Chewie hugs somebody.

• Love 6

The ultimate warm and fuzzy movie moment at my house might be Peter Falk saying "As you wish" at the end of The Princess Bride.  But we're a couple of marshmallows and tear up at almost anything.

• Love 11

As wonderful as the chariot race is, my favorite scene in the 1959 Ben-Hur is when Judah finally finds out what really happened to his mother and sister...

Spoiler

they contracted leprosy and have been banished to the leper colony. Judah is devastated when he learns this, and can barely keep it together when he sees them there. But when he overhears that his sister is dying, he gets this look of determination on his face and boldly storms into the cave where she's living (if nothing else, Ben-Hur is a heartbreaking reminder of how lepers were shunned by society and reduced to living like animals) to find her and, despite her tearful protests and obvious shame, picks her up and takes her and their mother to see Jesus. It's such a bittersweet reunion, but it makes the ending all the more glorious.

I'm going to be one of those people and say that the new Ben-Hur remake can go suck it, because I know for a fact it could never match the emotional power of William Wyler's masterpiece and the aforementioned scene.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1
(edited)

Bumping it up to mention two scenes from Creed, where Adonis is both training for his Heavyweight fight helping Rocky deal with cancer, culminating with the moment where Adonis and a motorcycle gang is racing through the streets just to see Rocky and the scene where Rocky told Adonis that Adonis taught him to fight again and that he loved him. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5

Bumping it up again to mention the ending of Blazing Saddles, which starts off funny, but because of the late, great Gene Wilder, ends up sweet-but still funny. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

Ragtime: Coalhouse's elation when Sarah finally accepts his proposal, and him jubilantly inviting the family she's staying with to the wedding.  It's so sweet, but so sad because everything goes to shit shortly afterward.

And I know that everyone hates Hiccup's mother in How to Train Your Dragon 2 for abandoning her family (even though she was technically kidnapped by the dragons, she just didn't try to come back afterwards), but I thought this scene was sweet.  Damn you, Gerard Butler!

Edited by Spartan Girl
(edited)

The scene at the end of Steve Jobs, when Steve reunites with his once-estranged adult daughter Lisa, is one of the best parts of a great movie. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Heart & Souls (which I adore and haven't seen in a while) is on right now, and has two moments for this thread: when the guy whose stamps were stolen as a kid looks down and finds them and calls out to his wife (and Milo's reaction to finally setting things right) and when Penny realizes the police sergeant is her son. 

• Love 5