Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Compensation

yeswedo

Harvey searches for a replacement for Donna. Mike takes a case as a favor, which he must justify to Jessica - while Rachel's father, Robert Zane, offers some unsolicited advice about Rachel's engagement to Mike. And Louis is embroiled in surprising money matters, while an up-and-coming partner, Jack, makes his presence known to Jessica, confronting her about whether Harvey's way of doing business is beneficial to the firm.
(edited)

I don't care what anyone else says, "I LOVED THIS EPISODE!!!" 

Didn't care about the Mike/Rachel plots, but loved everyone elses interactions and the fact that I called some of these tidbits in my fanfic (lol), such as Harvey still paying Donna out of pocket and Louis being unwilling to pay the difference. I partially called Harvey's anger.

I was thinking that Donna would probably permanently stay with Louis, but based on what I'm seeing now--not so much. Louis IS harder to work with in the sense of his insecurities and a few other things, but it seems as if he'll try Donna's patience more than Harvey has. Now, regarding the preview--talk is cheap, Donna.

Edited by Nanrad
  • Love 3

I don't how I feel about Harvey paying part of Donna's salary... it's sweet that he thinks she's worth more but it also adds to this icky aspect of Harvey owning Donna. This way, she's a bit like a kept woman. It gets worse with Louis and Harvey squabbling over who gets to keep her like she's some kind of awesome toy or tool. I'm all for a Harvey/Donna ship-- I would just like them to be on more equal ground. She needs to leave the two boys to their stupid pissing contests and go work for Jessica where she can learn to slap the tastes out of mouths. Though I'm sure Donna's fully capable of doing that herself already.

Oh Louis, after years of working with Harvey, you should know not to take his irritable, rude behavior personally.

Mike working with Rachel's father has potential to be interesting. Harvey's new secretary needs to stay. Gretchen > Rachel.

• Love 6

Lazy, I get that, but I don't think that's the case with Harvey. In season 2, I believe, it showed that Harvey views his success as Donna's success. Harvey is behaving like a dick at times (more than his usual self), but it's clear he's not taking it well, which is why he put that in Louis' face. Although he eventually told Donna, he'd never hold that over her head as if she owed him. He told her to be petty. lol.

Harvey is "fighting" for Donna because he's in love with her and struggles to let go, Louis is fighting for Donna he views her as an awesome toy. I do believe that Louis believe Donna is good at her job, but Harvey did accurately assess Louis at the end. And he does want everything Harvey has. But, their interactions usually go like this:

"Harvey, Harvey, guess what," Louis clamoring for approval.

"Leave me alone, Louis." 

"Harvey," Louis still clamoring for approval.

"God, will you leave me alone, Louis; I've told you already, I don't care!" 

Louis feels humiliated and does something to hurt Harvey to prove he doesn't care about Harvey or need his approval.

Harvey apologizes, but it's too late because Louis has done something that will erase any goodwill Harvey tried to extend.

Their issues go far beyond Donna, but it's still about her at the same time. She's always played mediator between them, but they fighter her for different reasons, so I don't see it as a traditional pissing match if one at all. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Louis is a world-champion-class dick, his scared/pissed-off rat face, treachery and all around smarminess has been in place from season one. Remember how long ago Louis "left" his dictaphone in Harvey's office? How long ago was that?

I wish Jessica would've gone ahead and "fired the shit out of him" as she had intended to.

Edited by kahauna
  • Love 1

Litt is a dick...

Can't fire Louis remember, he knows about Mike's Harvard issue doesnt' he?

Somebody please refresh my memory on the mention about Donna being on her knees servicing Mike from previous seasons. Can't remember the particulars, it did happen? Why was she doing it?

Somebody please refresh my memory on the mention about Donna being on her knees servicing Mike from previous seasons. Can't remember the particulars, it did happen? Why was she doing it?

They were searching for something in the archives and she pretended to be "servicing" Mike to scare away the by-passer.

I am loving this season as well! I'm a ahardcore Donna/Harvey shipper, but I want them to be together-together, without the boss-secretary thing. I want Gretchen to stay forever, she's golden. She can put Harvey in his place with one well-placed remark and that is not an easy thing to achieve.

Both Harvey and Louis fighting over Donna made me cringe a little, because they could have been fighting over a Ming vase and it would not make a difference. Well, at least for Louis, I guess. He wants to BE Harvey, because Harvey loves himself... And Harvey's love/approval is all Louis ever wanted. (But he is also a creature that will devour the thing he loves most, which is what he is doing right now). I'm hoping Donna will slap some intellect back to both Harvey and Louis's heads...

Jessica was awesome, but that is a given 99% of the time.

• Love 2
(edited)

They were searching for something in the archives and she pretended to be "servicing" Mike to scare away the by-passer.

They were searching for the memo that ultimately wound up be planted by Hardman, that Donna destroyed before knowing it was fake.

Not a big fan of them writing Harvey and Louis with the maturity of 12 year olds.  That said, they did a fantastic job with Mike and Robert Zane.  Robert wanted the pre-nup for Rachel and explained why.  When Mike finds it, he doesn't get pissed, he just asks Rachel about it, and when told why Robert wants her to sign it, he signs it and goes to see Robert.  All he does is show Robert the kind of guy he is, and Robert explains to Mike that he knows the kind of guy Mike is, but there could come a time where Mike goes against what he believes, because someone goes afte rhim.  It's just 2 people being mature about it, and there being no hard feelings.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 3

Let's see....Harvey says something that hurts Louis so Louis does something to get even.  Than Harvey makes Louis feel better but it's too late to stop the damage.  How many times have we seen this before ?  It's old and it's tired. 

Loved Jessica in this episode - continue to love Donna in everything she does !

• Love 2

Why, oh why does anyone still work at this antagonistic firm? Considering they are all lawyers, I'm surprised there aren't a ton of harassment and hostile work environment claims being lobbied against them constantly.

Perhaps most surprisingly, it is Mike and Rachel's story this week that shows people acting in a mature, understanding way and communicating like adults. How did the writers let that one get past?

(I'm placing odds that Mike and Rachel's dad working together ends up with him learning Mike's dirty little secret. Sigh.)

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with you Crs97, I used to like her. The idea that she is so great that no one else can replace her is completely crazy. It seems that Jessica is the only one that believes that they are all replaceable.

How Donnna talks to the Senior Team and the way she acts, her arrogance and boasting is so over the top. She would have been replaced the moment she yelled at her boss. Of course most bosses don't sleep with their assistants so that could be why she gets away with it. I am cheering for Gretchen also.

Edited by juno
  • Love 3

No, not the only one that is tired of Donna. That happened for me way back in Season 2.  I really didn't think the Keebler cookie or whatever was funny.  Jessica needs more to do than referee the fights between Harvey and Louis. 

I can't even comment on Louis anymore...just too much. 

So, now Rachel can go to Jessica for advice? I too fear that Mike and Big Daddy will result in just one more person knowing "THE SECRET!" 

I did kind of like the almost case of the week format with Harvey and shoe guy. If there had been more of that and less of the Harvey/Louis it would have been a great episode. 

Could also do without the Donna putting Harvey in his place for telling her about her salary.  I can't believe the "know it all" didn't know that all these years anyway. 

I too fear that Mike and Big Daddy will result in just one more person knowing "THE SECRET!" 

Is Suits renewed for Season 6? If yes, who cares if Daddy knows... as if USA has the kahunas to destroy P.S.L. It's about as threatening as Dexter being exposed by his colleagues.

Is Suits renewed for Season 6? If yes, who cares if Daddy knows... as if USA has the kahunas to destroy P.S.L. It's about as threatening as Dexter being exposed by his colleagues.

They did renew it.

I want to see the show end with Pearson Specter Litt crashing down.

I don't how I feel about Harvey paying part of Donna's salary... it's sweet that he thinks she's worth more but it also adds to this icky aspect of Harvey owning Donna. This way, she's a bit like a kept woman. It gets worse with Louis and Harvey squabbling over who gets to keep her like she's some kind of awesome toy or tool. I'm all for a Harvey/Donna ship-- I would just like them to be on more equal ground. She needs to leave the two boys to their stupid pissing contests and go work for Jessica where she can learn to slap the tastes out of mouths. Though I'm sure Donna's fully capable of doing that herself already.

The feeling I got was that Harvey appreciates how well Donna does her job, and how she goes beyond her job description and does things like keep him in check and work late, etc, and he felt she deserves more than the firm was willing to pay, so he paid the extra himself.  If he told had told Donna that he paid her extra himself and threw it back at her if she came back late from lunch or made some mistake, then I may view her as him owning her.  I suspect, if Louis pays Donna's extra salary, Louis would throw it back at her and make demands that ended with "That's why I pay you extra."

As for Harvey and Louis arguing over her like she is a possession, that is not cool, but it speaks more to the them being immature and bratty.  It would be worse if Donna were someone weaker, like Rachel, but we know that no one can push Donna around.

I want Gretchen to stay forever, she's golden. She can put Harvey in his place with one well-placed remark and that is not an easy thing to achieve.

I agree - Gretchen is awesome and proves that Donna isn't the only "World's Greatest Secretary."

• Love 2
On ‎3‎.‎7‎.‎2015 at 1:14 AM, Jediknight said:

That said, they did a fantastic job with Mike and Robert Zane.  Robert wanted the pre-nup for Rachel and explained why.  When Mike finds it, he doesn't get pissed, he just asks Rachel about it, and when told why Robert wants her to sign it, he signs it and goes to see Robert.  All he does is show Robert the kind of guy he is, and Robert explains to Mike that he knows the kind of guy Mike is, but there could come a time where Mike goes against what he believes, because someone goes afte rhim.  It's just 2 people being mature about it, and there being no hard feelings.

I agree. I can't understand what's bad in the pre-nup and how it would damage relationship - as even Jessica claimed! If his husband had an affair and left her for the pre-nup, then she was a weak men and she was better off without him. 

I find the pre-natural quite natural as Rachel will one day inherit her parents whereas Mike has nothing. Plus, Mike can one day go to the jail.