Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Wishlist: What Would You Like To See (or not see) On The Show?

(edited)

While I don't want the focus of the show to change much, I'd be okay with a few one-off experimental episodes.

For example, it would be neat to have a single episode that followed Farkle around and went home with him.  See the Meets World errr.. World from Farkle's point of view for one episode. Same intersections in the school, including Mr. Matthews "lesson" of the episode, maybe some excuse to get Riley or Maya in his space (or more safely Lucas), with Farkle doing the Riley "to the camera" stuff.  This also would serve to give Minkus another episode to appear in, and we'd have a less awkward way to meet Mrs. Minkus than what the show might otherwise do.  Entitle the episode "Farkle Meets World".

Okay, folks, what stuff would YOU like to see (or not)?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
(edited)

Aunt Morgan #1 please

Well we're getting Lindsay Ridgeway (aka Morgan #2, the second actress to play the role). She was totally out of show biz too.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0725864/

Girl Meets World (TV Series)

Morgan Matthews

- Episode #2.23 (2015) ... Morgan Matthews

Interestingly, Lily Nicksay, aka Morgan #1 (the first actress to play the role, when the character was like 4 or 5) seems to have been active in acting again the past few years and for that reason probably would have been a far better choice. But they didn't get her for this. - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0630091/

So we're getting this for Aunt Morgan.

Rather than this (4 year old Morgan turned out to be quite a babe).

Not that that should be the main measure.  But it certain is odd they dragged someone out of retirement instead.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think the first one is the Morgan most people remember. And looks more like an "Aunt Morgan" IMO sorry for the loss of eye candy ;)

Edited by Gbb

No more Angela, no Rachel, more Chet, and more Feeny!

ITA! I did enjoy the one Chet cameo but that's enough. We don't need to have that happening regularly.  And yes, so much more Feeny.  Feeeeny, Feehheeeny, Feeeheeehhhheennnnyyyy.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the first one is the Morgan most people remember. And looks more like an "Aunt Morgan" IMO sorry for the loss of eye candy ;)

Honestly, I get that the 4-year old Morgan started the role, but she never really did that much with the role, while the second one played Morgan for four years and she actually grew up with it. I get why they were willing to drag her out of retirement for the role rather than giving it to the first Morgan...unless Lily turned it down. I also think it's possible that they didn't give it to Lily because she still looks like she can conceivably play teenagers on Disney, and they wanted someone older-looking.

I'd love to see Jack. Matthew Lawrence is still pretty active.

If we see Aunt Morgan, I'd love to see her as a struggling actress/singer/performer type....Morgan was really interested in singing during the last seasons of the show.

Edited by methodwriter85

No more Angela, no Rachel, more Chet, and more Feeny!

Well i doubt we'll see Angela again after Trina lost her shit on Twitter

they definitely killed my character. I'm fully offended. it read racist to me. The black girl was run out of town.

(edited)

Well i doubt we'll see Angela again after Trina lost her shit on Twitter

I absolutely cannot stand the way this show handled Angela's return on a number of levels and hated pretty much everything about Girl Meets Hurricane - it was awful use of the character and terrible, poorly developed, sloppy writing, and I have already resolved to pretend the episode never happened. However, Trina needs to shut up and move on. She's truly not doing herself any favors - it's just desperate and tacky at this point. STOP.

With that said, I'd really appreciate if this show did not rewrite BMW history to suit its agenda (BMW did enough of that itself) and left "canon" alone from now on - it's beyond insulting. Angela did not just "leave" Shawn high and dry because she wasn't ready (him asking her why she left him was such an incredibly bizarre, idiotic moment - Shawn's penchant for self-pity has always been annoying). She went to Europe to spend time with her father and Shawn gave her his blessing. End of story. Do they think we're stupid?

I swear to God I will never understand the praise for Chet. The actor is great but I don't ever want to see that loathsome character back - he has no real, appropriate place on the show.

However, more Feeny is always welcome!!! Always. More Eric too - Will's still got it and did a wonderful job.

I kind of feel bad for Rachel fans (is this a thing?). I wonder if she'll make an appearance because it would be nice and fitting for the show to acknowledge one of Topanga's past female friendships, particularly since they ignored that opportunity with Angela.

Lastly, as I said, that last episode really left a bad taste in my mouth for many reasons, especially that Shawn/Katy/Maya mess. I certainly don't want Maya to be in a constant state of misery but I'd like for her to maintain her edge - something about trying to give her this lovey dovey insta-family with Shawn felt so forced. We don't need a Riley clone and I hope the character remains interesting. It would also be nice to focus on other characters like Farkle.

Edited by CurbUrEnthusiasm
  • Love 2

I really have no need to see any extra Boy Meets World players besides Mr. Feeny and various members of the Matthews family.   So putting aside the argument over Morgan 1 or Morgan 2, I'd like to see more Eric, Morgan, Mr. Feeny, and the parentals.  I don't care one way or the other about Jack, but at least him showing up would make some sense because of Shawn.  I'd also like the continued use of Shawn, but not if it's only going to be about him being Maya's creepy daddy, all while dating a woman he has absolutely no chemistry with whatsoever.  In the past I wouldn't have minded more Angela, but I think that has been effectively killed.

Rachel is unnecessary.  Chet is a lazy plot device.  He was a crappy dad in life so why do we need to seem him now?  And if we must see him, let's not use him as a lazy plot device to push tShawn/Maya/Katy.

Also if we are stuck with the Maya/Shawn stuff, which I assume we are, then I would like someone on set to take a genuine look at how Sabrina and Rider come across in their scenes.  Because Sabrina doesn't read as a 13 year old and their chemistry is less father/daughter and more approaching the realm of what in the hell am I watching and how fast can I change the channel.  Their scenes have almost a weird flirtatious undercurrent.

• Love 2
they definitely killed my character. I'm fully offended. it read racist to me. The black girl was run out of town.

I've seen a lot of her whining,  but I missed this one.  She needs to let it go.  It's coming across like she's now trying to rile people up at the idea that this is racial in order to get the job she's clearly desperate for, and it's kind of gross.  

The character wasn't "killed" and the black girl wasn't "run out of town."  I saw a mature, happy, married adult woman who was self aware enough to understand that she has lingering issues from her own childhood that were making her question whether she was ready to be a mother, and she decided to talk that over with someone from her past who understands that better than anyone else she knows.  That mature woman then returned the favor by encouraging Shawn to open himself up to starting a new relationship and doing what she's done - use the things they learned and experienced in their young relationship years ago to build on and hopefully create a new, more mature relationship in his adult life.  How does she think any of that "kills" her character?  If anything, the gracious, mature way Angela behaved (which is far away from the petulant child Trina is showing herself to be), seems to make it more likely that the character can, at some point, return in some capacity.  Would it be as Shawn's love interest?  Probably not.  But if she views her character as only viable as "the love interest" then that's her problem.  

Also if we are stuck with the Maya/Shawn stuff, which I assume we are, then I would like someone on set to take a genuine look at how Sabrina and Rider come across in their scenes.  Because Sabrina doesn't read as a 13 year old and their chemistry is less father/daughter and more approaching the realm of what in the hell am I watching and how fast can I change the channel.  Their scenes have almost a weird flirtatious undercurrent.

Disney had the same problem on Shake It Up, towards the end of its run, where Rocky (Zendaya) had all kinds of inappropriate chemistry with the new producer (or whatever role the guy played) on their dance show.  At times, it seemed like they were almost intentionally playing it up.   

As for Maya/Shawn, if this wasn't a Disney show, I'd expect them to play something along the lines of Maya having a crush on him and being somewhat jealous that he was into her mother and only saw her as a daughter figure.  But, since this is Disney and that story is never happening here, I hope that they don't play that chemistry up.  You can't shut it down completely, because chemistry just is, but they need to be aware of it when writing and staging their scenes. 

• Love 3

I love Shawn.  Really I do (he was my first TV boyfriend and grown-up Shawn does not disappoint visually). I was super excited the first few episodes he was on, reuniting Shawn & Cory is a blast, but to me it's a little overkill now. I'm definitely not loving where they're going with the Shawn/Katie/Maya thing.  Shawn and Maya have more chemistry than Shawn and Katie and it's really, really weird. I liked him better as the occasional pop-up pseudo-uncle rather than the potential daddy.

• Love 3

I agree that you can't shut the chemistry down completely, but I think the weird somewhat inappropriate chemistry between Maya/Shawn wasn't helped by the storyline. Shawn deciding that Maya needed to dress differently, when she already dressed perfectly fine, followed by scenes of her trying on clothes for him just sort of took the whole thing to a new level of ick.  There isn't really a whole lot the show can do about Sabrina not reading 13, because obviously she isn't 13.  But the show can control the writing.  I'd also like to see Maya be a little less googly eyed over Shawn and act more like the Maya we have come to know.  That might also play into why it sometimes reads as a crush.  Maya stares at Shawn really intently.

Also yes, KerleyQ, I remember what you are talking about re: Shake It Up as I think there was some convo about it on TWOP at the time.  That was definitely weirdly innapropriate as well, though more in a we can't stand each other but really we are secretly sexually attracted to each other way.  Major difference being that was a minor character that disappeared fairly quickly and there were no daddy issues at play.

• Love 3

The character was treated badly, I suppose, but maybe that limited role was mandated by them being fully aware that the actress behind her was difficult to work with.  I mean her mouthing off seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy, but maybe from the peanut gallery we're seeing the situation in reverse.

I absolutely cannot stand the way this show handled Angela's return on a number of levels and hated pretty much everything about Girl Meets Hurricane - it was awful use of the character and terrible, poorly developed, sloppy writing, and I have already resolved to pretend the episode never happened. However, Trina needs to shut up and move on. She's truly not doing herself any favors - it's just desperate and tacky at this point. STOP.

Exactly. That's just BEYOND cheap, what she said.

As for the episode, I don't really feel much for it per say.

Keep in mind we could have had almost the EXACT same plot without Angela actually being present.

All we needed to drive similar actions from our players was a letter or email showing up, with only Shawn knowing the actual contents, leaving Maya and Katy and the others knowing one came, Corey explaining to them who Angela is, and that leading to a similar outcome, with someone like Topanga maybe giving Shawn some of Angela's observations about their relationship and where he should be heading in his romantic life afterwards.  You could even still have the lame Ghost Dad, although frankly it wans't needed either.

Angela was only there at all, I suppose, because for some reason they thought it might be a treat for fans.  The show certainly didn't need her, or Trina McGee--especially if they already knew Trina was not only barely still in the business, but also difficult to work with.

Or not.  This is just speculation.

• Love 1

I agree that you can't shut the chemistry down completely, but I think the weird somewhat inappropriate chemistry between Maya/Shawn wasn't helped by the storyline. Shawn deciding that Maya needed to dress differently, when she already dressed perfectly fine, followed by scenes of her trying on clothes for him just sort of took the whole thing to a new level of ick.  There isn't really a whole lot the show can do about Sabrina not reading 13, because obviously she isn't 13.  But the show can control the writing.  I'd also like to see Maya be a little less googly eyed over Shawn and act more like the Maya we have come to know.  That might also play into why it sometimes reads as a crush.  Maya stares at Shawn really intently.

Also yes, KerleyQ, I remember what you are talking about re: Shake It Up as I think there was some convo about it on TWOP at the time.  That was definitely weirdly innapropriate as well, though more in a we can't stand each other but really we are secretly sexually attracted to each other way.  Major difference being that was a minor character that disappeared fairly quickly and there were no daddy issues at play.

thats the thing...every scene Maya has with Shawn she is staring Deeeeep into his eyes

Their scenes  honestly looks like their about to kiss everytime

and if you are not Shawn Eric or Feeny no more BMW cast members

I dont count Josh since he was on BMW for 2 minutes

I would really love a scene with Eric and Josh.

I will second that!  I also want a scene with ALL the Matthews kids together, along with Amy and Alan.  I was disappointed the Christmas episode didn't give us that.  I definitely want more Feeny....and some Eric/Feeny time would definitely be appreciated.

• Love 4

I will second that! I also want a scene with ALL the Matthews kids together, along with Amy and Alan. I was disappointed the Christmas episode didn't give us that. I definitely want more Feeny....and some Eric/Feeny time would definitely be appreciated.

Okay, but I'm going to stipulate that those meddling kids can't be anywhere near the Feeny/Eric reunion. Some things should remain sacred.

• Love 5

Okay, but I'm going to stipulate that those meddling kids can't be anywhere near the Feeny/Eric reunion. Some things should remain sacred.

Annd now I'll be thinking about Scooby-Doo for the rest of the day lol. Definitely ;). Don't mess with teh Feeny/Eric reunion!

• Love 1

Please, please, writers....give us scene with everyone together (including Feeny) when Eric wins the election.  I KNOW his face would be absolutely priceless!  :-)

*signs this post* You have my support! :)

Cory and Topanga renew their wedding vows only this time without the focus on Shawn.... Or Eric come to think of it.

I always felt a bit cheated by the BMW C/T wedding.

Invite everyone in but lose Angela's invitation in the mail :)

• Love 1

I am the only one that doesn't hate Angela. I mean, I didn't want Shawn and her to end up together only because most girlfriend/boyfriend in high school and college usually don't, but I still liked her (though she needs to dye her hair).

• Love 1

I don't hate her I just never saw her and Rachel as being all that relevant to the BMW series.

Her appearance on GMW was simply a guest appearance/ done and done.

C/ T renew your vows this time with a bit of dignity deserving of the occasion :)

Not with some self centered best friend  completely taking over the occasion or some nutso brother being a goose.

(edited)

More focus on Riley! It's her show after all. 

I'm rewatching S1 of Boy Meets World and the focus is completely on Cory. He's a little mischievous troublemaker and gets himself in trouble in every episode. Shawn is nothing but his sidekick. The show is more grounded and the lessons are more subtle. Alan and Amy are acting like real parents. Eric is your typical 15 year old teenager and not a moron. Morgan is adorable. Feeny is sarcastic and has more control on his class. Topanga is funny and weird. Minkus is a fun know-it-all. 

And best of all, Boy Meets World isn't heavy-handled, everything flows smoothly and lessons are taught in a more subtle way than Girl Meets World which hammers those lessons into our brains like we're a bunch of morons.  

Edited by SosaLola
  • Love 6

I'm rewatching S1 of Boy Meets World and the focus is completely on Cory. He's a little mischievous troublemaker and gets himself in trouble in every episode. Shawn is nothing but his sidekick. The show is more grounded and the lessons are more subtle. Alan and Amy are acting like real parents. Eric is your typical 15 year old teenager and not a moron. Morgan is adorable. Feeny is sarcastic and has more control on his class. Topanga is funny and weird. Minkus is a fun know-it-all. 

And best of all, Boy Meets World isn't heavy-handled, everything flows smoothly and lessons are taught in a more subtle way than Girl Meets World which hammers those lessons into our brains like we're a bunch of morons.  

Yes. But... unlike Corey... (at least somewhat) she's a bit more annoying. So I'm glad that the focus is a bit off of her tbh. It brings some balance to the show.

As for heavy handed, it wasn't for a lot of its run, but some of it was later on imo.

The hammering home thing, I think it's a Disney thing tbh. *shrugs*

Season 2 HAS been more in the lighthearted mode than Season 1, IMO, even though the "messaging" has also been louder.

Arguably I think SOME of the S2 episodes have been better ones for Riley than most of S1.

It just feels like the Maya show most of the time. We know more about Maya's fears, insecurities and dreams than Riley. I don't think Riley would have been so annoying if they gave us more about her. What's she good at, what does she fear, what's she passionate about, in Boy Meets World, Cory started out as a baseball fanatic and then his interest switched to film making, he's insecure about his hair and his image - which was why he was always bullying Minkus and Topanga because they didn't fit into the norms.  

I just wish Riley had more layers like her father did on his show. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Since they are bringing back 2nd Morgan as Aunt Morgan, how about bring back 1st Morgan as some one else.  Do a tongue in check reference to her looking really familiar, then say I know you remind me of my sister. It would acknowledge her history, get a good laugh from us that watched the BMW but not take away from LR as Morgan.

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 1

I am glad Jack is returning, but I kind of wish the show could bring back Jason Marsden (played by Jason Marsden, Will Friedle's best friend) who recurred as Eric's best friend during the earlier seasons. A part of just wants Jack and Jason commiserating over their frustration with Eric. 

• Love 3

Since they are bringing back 2nd Morgan as Aunt Morgan, how about bring back 1st Morgan as some one else.  Do a tongue in check reference to her looking really familiar, then say I know you remind me of my sister. It would acknowledge her history, get a good laugh from us that watched the BMW but not take away from LR as Morgan.

The subtle dividing line between meta and potentially over the top meta I think might be that "you remind me of my sister" IMO.  Do just the "you look really familiar" thing without it and it's well... I wouldn't say "subtle", but at least it separates out the fans from the casual viewers (who aren't SUPPOSED to get meta references). If they want to milk the joke more though, you don't have it be a single appearance/joke, you have it as a repeated joke where Cory keeps running into this woman and it keeps driving him crazy that he can't figure out who she reminds him of.  And maybe to cap it off, since Lily Nicksay has actually acted more than Morgan #2, you could have the denouement be something like "hey, I finally realized where I know you from--that movie with Samuel L. Jackson!" (which is true--she had a bit role in "The Negotiator" with Jackson and Kevin Spacey).

I think the thing I want the most is to NEVER AGAIN have Ava sing her first and last name in any scene in any episode we have to have her in with Auggie. There is other stuff I have on my wish list for the show, but if they got rid of that one thing, hah, I think I'd be semi-satisfied.

• Love 2