Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The First Time

• Start Topic

When Brandon realized all he wanted to say was goodbye (which was clearly a lie given how he stalked Sheryl to the door), and Brenda said, "that's a start," I felt like she was just looking for an excuse to leave the room. Like, she came in wanting gossip about the drama going on and decided she would rather be asleep. That must be what happened with Sheryl. She didn't want Brandon to follow her to the airport so she just said something to get him off her back. That's the only explanation.

Another great episode though. I don't know how this show existed so long without you guys.

• Love 2

1. I realize this probably isn't the reaction you were expecting, but I rilly rilly want Ahndrea's - I think it's her - pleated cuffed orange shorts from that first shot.<br />2. Technical issue - I use Cast to listen to podcasts, and nothing after the first episode appears to be available there, although EHG is updating as normal. Any thoughts on whose end the glitch is happening on?

• Love 1

I was eating lunch and listening to this podcast when it got the Brandon and Cheryl's last exchange. I almost threw up. Don't ever try to eat while some calls Brandon Walsh a "wonderful lover". Gross. I have to throw up again.

• Love 4

So, thank you for pointing out the hipocrisy of Jim Walsh. It's a recurring theme.

Brenda's sex life and having a boyfriend in general treated like she's prostituting herself is one thing but two other things stand out for me in the Brenda = bad twin, Brandon = good twin hipocrisy.

1- Brenda is treated like this monumental screw up who dissapoints her parents. You'd think she was the one who drove drunk and trashed Mondale the car. But no, that was Brandon.

2- Jim and Brandon mock her for taking self-defense classes in a later season. Even though she was robbed at gun point at Peach Pit in one of the previous seasons. The gunman got in because Brandon failed to lock the front door before he and Dylan took the garbage.

So, to recap, drove drunk and trashed car- lucky to have not killed himself or someone else- BAD TWIN.

Irresponsible at work, endangering both his sister and allowing his place of employment to be robbed due to negligence. BAD TWIN.

BAD TWIN.

• Love 5

My favorite part about Dylan telling Brandon and Sheryl about the front desk is his assumption that these two dummies from Minnesota don't know that's EXACTLY how a front desk/concierge works.

Oh there is so much of that BS in the early seasons. Like Minnesota is some time warp where people have never heard of electricity. Minneapolis is actually a really big city. It drives me crazy that Brenda and Brandon are written to act like they've never heard of rich people, or restaurants, or spas or something. Minneapolis has plenty of rich people spending money. I actually appreciated that the 90210 reboot toned this down a bit. Anne and Dixon were impressed by movie stars and the beach and stuff like that, but the writers never acted like Wichita is some small town without a single boutique or nice restaurant.

• Love 1

I can kind of see it working, in the sense that the Walshes may have heard of all those things but never experienced it first hand, since they weren't in the financial class of people who experienced those things. But, with the move to BH, they were living it now. They were living in a rich or at least much wealthier neighborhood, going to school with the (mostly) rich kids, going to more upscale places, etc.

So, thank you for pointing out the hipocrisy of Jim Walsh. It's a recurring theme.

Brenda's sex life and having a boyfriend in general treated like she's prostituting herself is one thing but two other things stand out for me in the Brenda = bad twin, Brandon = good twin hipocrisy.

1- Brenda is treated like this monumental screw up who dissapoints her parents. You'd think she was the one who drove drunk and trashed Mondale the car. But no, that was Brandon.

2- Jim and Brandon mock her for taking self-defense classes in a later season. Even though she was robbed at gun point at Peach Pit in one of the previous seasons. The gunman got in because Brandon failed to lock the front door before he and Dylan took the garbage.

So, to recap, drove drunk and trashed car- lucky to have not killed himself or someone else- BAD TWIN.

Irresponsible at work, endangering both his sister and allowing his place of employment to be robbed due to negligence. BAD TWIN.

BAD TWIN.

Don't forget his gambling addiction! But that's totally fine, because he's Brandon. 

• Love 1

Something not mentioned-- the Walsh use of ice cream to fix problems. It is so corny and provincial. These L.A. kids have real problems, and there are the Walshes from Minnesota all "there there, there is no problem a little ice cream can't fix!" No wonder Brandon is just an idealist blowhard.

• Love 2

I started a re watch of this series. I can't believe Jim 's excitement over his son Brandon having sex with Sheryl in his bedroom l. He didn't react like that with Brenda in later episodes.

I am also shocked that Brandon got into the club. Wasn't he supposed to be 17? He punches Dylan & smashes a cocktail that Sheryl was drinking. He yells at Sheryl demanding to know who she slept with. He is so arrogant. I think this might be the first episode of him doing the "Brandon Bray".

Jim needed some manscaping.

• Love 2