Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/22/15

Really Fox News!?  You are against someone politicizing something?  Seriously!?  This from the network that was yelling (and probably still is) "BENGHAZI!  BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI!" pretty much 24/7 for the past year or so.  Even though pretty much all their wacko theories about it have been debunked already.  So shut the eff up about politicizing stuff.

I burst out laughing when it showed Rudy Giuliani saying it shouldn't be politicized.

• Love 2

Fox News switching the conversation on the Confederate flag as an offense on Southern Pride, as well as Hannity's fallible argument about the flag...(sigh) same old, same old.

Personally, I thought Napolitano wasn't too bad; attention hogging the audience aside, at least he respects Jon, and he did make an indirect point that comedians should take over the Senate. If he wasn't hosting "The Late Show" in a few months, I could see Stephen Colbert as a South Carolina Senator. :P

And if I can point out the previous episode before today's, it just seems unbelievable that there are only a couple weeks left before Jon retires, and the constant tributes (especially this week's) have to remind us how much news, gags, research and effort Jon has put to do the show. All I can do is salute him. BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if previous colleagues/correspondents will be presenting the compilations of Jon in the following weeks; it would just be the perfect opportunity, I can feel it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

The denying that racism exists in America by Fox News and assorted right wing pundits is part of their never ending  "American is the greatest country in the history of the world" screed. America is perfect, and if you dare to say it isn't, that we have real problems to confront (ie. racism, poverty, lack of health care), then you are one of those horrible liberals who hate America. (And probably a secret Isis sympathizer.)

Even when President Obama talks about the need to take action on one issue or another, he gets called an America hater. Remember Guiliani's "he doesn't love America like we do." So presumably our elected officials should be doing nothing, because everything in America is just great, for everyone. If you believed that, why would you even run for office?

Well actually, many Republicans do campaign now by saying "elect me, and I promise I won't do anything." Because you know, government is the problem, not the solution. The only thing that government really needs to do is remove regulations on banks and corporations and make sure that at any given moment we are bombing the shit out of someone, somewhere.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

Has Napolitano lost weight? He looked different to me.

More importantly, what is his stand on Citizens United? I wondered this when he said that it's dangerous for the Supreme Court to rule that government has free speech because govt has "limitless resources and will drown out speech it hates and fears." He also says that the right to speak is a personal right, "not transferable to an artificial institution like the government." My question is, What about corporations? What about millionaires and billionaires who have limitless resources?

• Love 3
(edited)

Napolitano's interview was more tolerable than previous ones, and he and Jon seem to be friendly.  But I didn't like the argument.  I think it's a false dichotomy that our only 2 options are to allow absolutely all speech, or to have a fascist government controlling our thoughts.  Some speech is prohibited.  I can't make direct threats against people.  So if it's not all-or-nothing for free speech, then there's a legitimate debate to be had about where to draw the line.  For instance, how about hate speech? On the one hand, the person isn't making any direct threats.  On the other hand, they might be intimidating other people, which can have physical and emotional effects beyond just "the right to not be offended".  

Basically, it's too big a concept for Napolitano to shut it down with "government shouldn't control speech"

I'm liking Jessica Williams more and more, I think she's become 1 of the best correspondents.  Loved her barb at the end, saying that it's more important to earn a full ten "man dollars" then 8 1/2 "lady dollars".

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 3

It's good to ask where to draw the line. It's not all or nothing. If someone hangs the flag on their house, I suppose they can. But they can't complain if the neighbors call them jerks and don't invite them to parties either. Or go to their store if they own one. I don't think the confederate flag should be on government property, including license plates. What's good speech or not I suppose is determined by society. 

I think it's ridiculous to compare the confederate flag to the actual USA flag though. 

• Love 1

It's so infuriating to see the hypocrisy of the GOP when it comes to religion. They're all about God when it comes to abortion and gay marriage but when the Pope lays out the moral case for sustainability they tell him to STFU.

Richard Lewis, oy! Haven't seen him that excited.

That whole segment should've been called "Two Old Jews Screaming."

• Love 3

Nothing like announcing you are running for president by hiding behind a tree, I can't imagine anyone even his one son giving that video two thumbs up.

I don't remember if Jon said it (might have been Rachel Maddow) but the best line I heard about the video was "Your campaign is in trouble when you don't even carry a majority of your immediate family."

• Love 1
(edited)

Jezebel described it as looking like "we’re awkwardly spying on a family meeting from a police van around the corner." 

Well, as Jon noted, Jindal entering the race gives Pataki someone to talk to. Hee.

They're all about God when it comes to abortion and gay marriage but when the Pope lays out the moral case for sustainability they tell him to STFU.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Santorum said we needed to leave science to the scientists. He doesn't listen to them, either!

Edited by dubbel zout

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Santorum said we needed to leave science to the scientists. He doesn't listen to them, either!

He listens to the ones who work for Exxon-Mobile. 

Wow, Richard Lewis looks so old. Which makes me feel so old.His hyperactivity borders on mania, it always makes me uncomfortable to watch him.

• Love 1
(edited)

My favorite was when Jindal said "let me say this real slow so that even Hillary Clinton can understand" and Jon was like WTF dude, no one thinks Hillary is stupid.

Some of the pictures of Jindal looked weird though, maybe they were drawings instead of photos? He used to look incredibly young and in some of those he looked like an ancient marionette.

Richard Lewis actually seemed calm to me as opposed to how I remember him.

Edited by annabel
  • Love 1