Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

It might be a week before a valid line featuring the Suns vs the East Champion gets disclosed.  Though they probably could start it at Phoenix -5.5 and they'd be on point

Age 36, 16 seasons in, CP3 makes it to his first NBA finals!

I'm happy for him but honestly, I wish it was different. It just won't be the same getting a ring (if he wins) if his path to victory included beating an injury-wrecked Lakers, an injury-wrecked Nuggets, an injury wrecked Clippers and either an injury-wrecked Bucks or an injury-wrecked Hawks. CP3 deserves a ring. I just wish this season didn't have so many what-ifs because of injuries.

Classless exit for Pat Beverley:

(edited)

Congrats to the Suns on making it to the NBA finals.

Monty Williams is a wonderful man/great coach and they are a very talented and promising team. Devin Booker/DeAndre Ayton have definitely come into their own as two young stars and Chris Paul did a nice job of mentoring them and helping them take the next steps in their careers.

Other players may not have always gotten along with Chris/liked him, but he has done an excellent job with younger players, including OKC players and the young Suns players. Both Devin and Deandre stated a big reason they wanted to make it to the finals was for Chris. They really do love/respect him and it shows.

This young team has come a long way over the past few years. With the struggles they had from being one of the worst teams in the league, to performing well in the bubble last year, to now going to the finals. Very impressive turnaround. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 5

Magog’s feelings for Steph almost* match my feelings for Chris Paul so I personally am not loving this.

*I don’t think Chris is the devil or anything, I’ve just been an ardent anti-fan since he was at Wake.

CP3 is banged up himself.  It is wild that he faced injury-filled teams, and it looks like he'll get lucky against the East winner (but not really since it may appear Trae & Giannis aren't going to be out for the postseason).  Similar to Trae & Giannis, Chris isn't 100%

10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So I just looked up Monty Williams' bio.

Yeah, I remember when his wife got killed. The outpouring from the NBA and the people who cover the NBA tell you all you need to know about the man. He's one of the good ones.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I received a push alert that said Charles Oakley has a memoir coming out in 2022 and when I read it I thought it said Charles Barkley and now I’m super disappointed.  No offense to Oak.

I dislike his flopping like on this play:

I do like watching him play though. I love tiny but fierce point guards.

To be fair, I guess the postseason is terrible without LeBron, Steph, KD, the Spurs, Lakers, and /or whatever team Kawhi is on with Leonard being active

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Carey said:

To be fair, I guess the postseason is terrible without LeBron, Steph, KD, the Spurs, Lakers, and /or whatever team Kawhi is on with Leonard being active

Post-seasons suck without apex predators.

Apex predators of a team really know how to kill. Giannis is an apex predator. Trae Young is an apex predator. Lebron. Curry. KD. Kawhi. Luka. They bring a different energy to the game. At any time you know they can go OFF and it won't be pretty for the other team.

Injuries took so many apex predators out this post-season it's just not fun to watch anymore. Last night's game was excruciating. If the Suns steamroll to victory against a Giannis-less Bucks or Trae-less Hawks it won't be fun to watch either.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 1

The country with the most players in the NBA is the U.S. The country with the second-most players in the NBA is Canada. Which with today's OT loss to the Czech Republic will not have qualified for the Olympics since 2000.

4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I shed a little tear at Atlanta going down tonight. What a run they had. This finals is going to be so anti-climactic. A healthy Suns vs. a beat up Bucks.

Phoenix is going to annihilate them, especially if Giannis isn't playing. 

3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:
8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I shed a little tear at Atlanta going down tonight. What a run they had. This finals is going to be so anti-climactic. A healthy Suns vs. a beat up Bucks.

Pretty much the same thing people said about Gonzaga against Baylor

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

This is sad that the playoffs which started with such great games and matchups became wrecked with so many injuries.

Congrats to the Bucks to making it to the NBA finals. They did a good job of adjusting without Giannis and advancing.

I also think that the Atlanta Hawks should be proud of the deep run they had in these playoffs. They were impressive and showed what a gritty, and well-coached team they are. Their future looks bright. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:
3 minutes ago, Carey said:

I'm sorry, I have to ask: how do you do a multi-person quote like that?

You have to manually select the entire content of a particular post

Just now, LexieLily said:

2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Hit the quote button under the post. Then make sure the cursor is inside the quote box. Then you highlight the sentence you want to quote and a prompt should automatically pop up, click on the prompt and you should get the above effect.

• Useful 2
42 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This is sad that the playoffs which started with such great games and matchups became wrecked with so many injuries.

You know it's a bad year when Inside the NBA is the (top) segment of the NBA Season!

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Carey said:
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The only bad thing about the Hawks losing tonight to end their season is that Trae Young didn't show us more of that swagger that I've come to enjoy. It just sucks that the ankle injury hampered him in the last couple of games. Hopefully, he can get healed up & healthy for next season. And when the Hawks played against those Warriors next season, I hope that Trae Young bring that same energy that he did on the Knicks & 76ers and give Steph Curry a taste of his own medicine.

As for Suns - Bucks, I think the Bucks have a chance against the Suns. I think this upcoming NBA Finals is a toss-up. 

For the first time in a very long time (since 2006), I have an NBA Finals where I either don't have a team to really root for (Cavaliers & Raptors in 2019), a team I absolutely despise (especially those Warriors & the Heat (except for LeBron of course)), or both teams are downright loathsome & unrootable (2008, 2009, & 2010). I'm going to actually enjoy this NBA Finals. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Meh, Rachel Nicholas had a right to be mad that they reneged on her contract. But her blaming Maria Taylor wasn't fair. It also seems weird that this story is coming out now when it looks like they're going to fire Maria Taylor.

I think the ESPN coverage needs a huge rehaul. When I listen to their pre-game and halftime shows and I compare it with Inside the NBA there's no comparison. Inside the NBA is even better when Candace Parker is there. ESPN's coverage seems very cold and corporate and there's no heart behind any of the analysts. Jalen Rose is only good on his own show. 

In other drama, Kristap Porzingis is no longer following Luka on IG.

16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Meh, Rachel Nicholas had a right to be mad that they reneged on her contract. But her blaming Maria Taylor wasn't fair. It also seems weird that this story is coming out now when it looks like they're going to fire Maria Taylor.

The conspiracy theorist will say that this was deliberate.  Fire (or rather don't extend) Taylor?  Well, obviously it's because Nichols has enough pull to get her way.  Extend Taylor, possibly with a raise and/or more prominent assignments?  Well, ESPN would like to can her but can't do it because they'll be pilloried for being a bunch of racists. 

And really, ESPN should just do what they really want to do and have Stephen A Smith do the entire show by himself.  They're already all in on the guy.

• Love 3

I don't see Giannis playing in Game 1.  Since his exit in Game 4 of the ECF & not counting that game, they have not trailed for a second in 96 minutes on gameplay, I believe.  That was without Antetokounmpo.   I don't think they'll win anyway, but I think they're capable of making it a series with their MVP/franchise player.  At least they'll have a chance unlike Atlanta who would've been swept out of the Finals.

Unless he can, and until it's necessary, no need to rush Giannis Antetokounmpo back.  They probably need him by Game 3, even in a limited role.  However, it is possible he might miss the entire series

(edited)

Looks like Giannis is a go for Game One!

Edited to mention the news coming to you courtesy of a source from a source to WOJ/ESPN

Edited by Carey
The Source
  • Useful 1

Looks like ESPN "went nuclear" on Rachel, as they went ahead and cancelled "The Jump" (they said they would not).

So, Suns FTW.  Part of the reasoning is related to the Montreal Canadians (certain things are connected to 1993 this year).  As mentioned, anything can happen (Baylor over Gonzaga).  I think it'll be a good series.  Both teams despite everything have enough to win games (up to 4).  Not a great year with the injuries, but at the end of the game, everyone is a professional athlete

• Love 1
(edited)

The counting for Giannis at the free throw line cracks me up - every team Milwaukee played this playoffs has done it, and they pretty consistently get past 10.

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Pretty good game, I think.  Not a total blowout, not a nail-biter.  Giannis did okay coming off of injury.  Probably better than resting him in what was going to be a loss anyway.  Meanwhile, CP3 played as if he's been on the biggest stage before