Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Game 7 it is for Nets/Bucks.

But the gossip coming out of Dallas is crazy. Now there's talk that Luka wanted Rick Carlisle out. Also gossip about Mark Cuban's "shadow GM" that forced Donnie Nelson out and drove Rick Carlisle crazy. I can barely keep up. 

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Does Zion himself want out or is it just his family that wants him out? I've only heard that Family Williamson is upset with New Orleans.

I think it's his family but apparently Zion's family exerts a huge influence over him. Which makes sense considering he's 20 and not even old enough to legally order a drink.

Edited by Lady Whistleup

It would be wild if Luka and Zion both refused to sign their rookie-extension deals and forced their way out. Shades of the Clippers when they were the lowly Clippers.

[Story you might find amusing: when I was five/six, no lie, I thought that was their name, The Lowly Clippers (like, the Houston Rockets, etc.), because that is what every single sports show called them at the time!]

• LOL 4
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It would be wild if Luka and Zion both refused to sign their rookie-extension deals and forced their way out. Shades of the Clippers when they were the lowly Clippers.

[Story you might find amusing: when I was five/six, no lie, I thought that was their name, The Lowly Clippers (like, the Houston Rockets, etc.), because that is what every single sports show called them at the time!]

I was once at a Red Sox board and they always said "MFY". It took me awhile to figure out that it was initials for Mother Fucking Yankees.

Watching Giannis over this series has made me realize that while I think he's a very nice person, I don't actually like watching him play. I don't feel like he's maximizing his potential. Other elite players may have off games, but I never feel like Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid, Steph Curry, Lebron James etc are not being the best possible versions of themselves on the court. Even Trae Young is the best possible version of himself, bless his scrawny, pint-sized heart. But Giannis seems to have two gears -- bully ball and bricked jumpers and bad free throw shooting. He hasn't developed a floater, a hook shot, a bank shot, any number of offensive plays that could make up for his lack of a traditional jumper.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Watching Giannis over this series has made me realize that while I think he's a very nice person, I don't actually like watching him play. I don't feel like he's maximizing his potential. Other elite players may have off games, but I never feel like Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid, Steph Curry, Lebron James etc are not being the best possible versions of themselves on the court. Even Trae Young is the best possible version of himself, bless his scrawny, pint-sized heart. But Giannis seems to have two gears -- bully ball and bricked jumpers and bad free throw shooting. He hasn't developed a floater, a hook shot, a bank shot, any number of offensive plays that could make up for his lack of a traditional jumper.

Jalen Rose and the rest of the crew on the ESPN pre-game show weren't happy with Giannis for not taking the defensive assignment on Durant last game in the fourth quarter. Apparently he hasn't defended KD at all in the fourth for this series. For the two-time MVP/wannabe-DPOY shouldn't he be guarding the other team's best player/hottest player? Tonight, again, PJ Tucker guarded KD most of the time.

4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Jalen Rose and the rest of the crew on the ESPN pre-game show weren't happy with Giannis for not taking the defensive assignment on Durant last game in the fourth quarter. Apparently he hasn't defended KD at all in the fourth for this series. For the two-time MVP/wannabe-DPOY shouldn't he be guarding the other team's best player/hottest player? Tonight, again, PJ Tucker guarded KD most of the time.

KD is extremely difficult to defend, and PJ Tucker does a decent job of it. But I agree, the Giannis/KD matchup is the one we want to see defensively and it just hasn't happened yet.

• Love 1

There's so much Mavs drama it's hard to keep up but these articles do a good job explaining most of it:

Rick Carlisle out after tensions with Luka

The tension between Carlisle and 22-year-old superstar Luka Doncic had increasingly become concerning within the Mavs organization, sources said. Doncic showed up Carlisle on several occasions this season, such as making animated gestures on the court when he disagreed with a decision or yelling at Carlisle in front of assistant coaches and teammates.

Mark Cuban's shadow GM

Doncic noticed Voulgaris’ early departure. In the locker room after the game, multiple league and team sources say he told teammates he viewed Voulgaris leaving before the game’s conclusion as him quitting on them. Voulgaris would not attend another game the rest of the year.

KP and Luka don't like each other

The Dallas Mavericks have stolen the headlines on Thursday after the departure of longtime head coach Rick Carlisle. Now, more tidbits have surfaced regarding the organization in Dallas, as ESPN insider Tim MacMahon joined Zach Lowe on The Lowe Podcast to discuss Carlisle and the Mavs.

In the episode, MacMahon gave a ton of insight, including the situation and ongoing drama between Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis.

“Poringis is not at all enjoying playing for Dallas,” MacMahon said on the podcast.

Yikes to all this. 

5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Does Zion himself want out or is it just his family that wants him out? I've only heard that Family Williamson is upset with New Orleans.

Zion never wanted to be in New Orleans. It was pretty obvious in the build up to the draft that he wanted New York almost as much as New York wanted him.

So now cue the endless takes and non-event stories about how the Knicks can get Zion - "If they just trade Randle, Barrett, Robinson and three first round picks..."

As for the Mavs, it's clear that KP and Luca aren't a good match. Who would have thought it? They're both white, Eastern European guys, they must be best buds! /s

Luka is a star, KP is a guy who thinks he's a star. But fuck it, Luca talked about liking New York too, so let's get him there as well!

I'm surprised the Bucks are taking the Nets to seven games, but pleased to see it. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them crash out despite all the money and hype.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

On twitter, many Jazz fans are heartbroken that John Stockton is doing this. I am heartbroken myself. I loved John Stockton.

While I wish I could say I'm surprised, unfortunately, I'm not.  Either way, it's gross, dangerous, and enraging.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:
13 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

While I wish I could say I'm surprised, unfortunately, I'm not.  Either way, it's gross, dangerous, and enraging.

Karl Malone and John Stockton -- most disappointing duo of NBA legends? 

Both on and off the court

• Love 5
(edited)
36 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Same. Not at all surprised, but completely disgusted. I'm shaking my head that Stockton thinks he's smarter than doctors, scientists, researchers, and many others with advanced medical degrees. Not to mention all of the every day citizens who lined up to volunteer as the vaccine was being developed and tested. He and his "significant amount of research" can shut tf up. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 8
(edited)
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Same. Not at all surprised, but completely disgusted. I'm shaking my head that Stockton thinks he's smarter than doctors, scientists, researchers, and many others with advanced medical degrees. Not to mention all of the every day citizens who lined up to volunteer as the vaccine was being developed and tested. He and his "significant amount of research" can shut tf up. 

It upsets me that this is getting so many headlines because the NBA has vaccinated over 80% of its active players and almost all of its staff. The NBA actually has "herd immunity" compared to, say, the NFL. So all this good work and someone has to ruin the headlines. 

Sigh John Stockton. I'll just remember you as a short and scrappy point guard and not a covidiot.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It upsets me that this is getting so many headlines because the NBA has vaccinated over 80% of its active players and almost all of its staff. The NBA actually has "herd immunity" compared to, say, the NFL. So all this good work and someone has to ruin the headlines. 

So did LeBron ever actually get vaccinated? Last I heard, not....

• Love 1

The Mavs announced today that Dirk Nowitzki has been named a Special Advisor to the team. I feel like Mark Cuban has a lot of respect for Dirk and I know Luka is a fan, so maybe he can help figure the mess out. 

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

The Mavs announced today that Dirk Nowitzki has been named a Special Advisor to the team. I feel like Mark Cuban has a lot of respect for Dirk and I know Luka is a fan, so maybe he can help figure the mess out. 

Hope Dirk can help although the list of beloved NBA legends who found that their talents did not translate into front office competence is long. Magic Johnson? Elgin Baylor? Michael Jordan? ISIAH THOMAS, who still gives Knicks fans PTSD ...

Rough rough day for Jazz fans. People in SLC are crying into their chocolate milk tonight. 

Also, poor CP3 :( No game 7 for him to buy time and come back from the rona. Playoffs and CP3 just are not friends.

In other news, this is apparently the game where Terance Mann, Reggie Jackson, and Patrick Beverly decide that they're actually the 2015-19 GSW. 

(edited)

Milwaukee: seventeen point collapse in the third/fourth quarter of Game 5. KD went nuclear.

Philadelphia: Hold my beer! eighteen point collapse in the third/fourth quarters of Game 4, only to be outdone by their twenty-four point collapse in the fourth of their Game 5.

Utah: We want in on the action too! Proceeds to lose a twenty-two point lead in the second half of an elimination game to a Kawhi-less Clippers team. Fourth straight loss after the 2-0 start.

PHX/LAC Game 1 Sunday?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love Donovan Mitchell. He is my favorite young player. He's outstanding and always gives it his all, including tonight. I felt bad for him tonight as he lost again in the playoffs. He played well but he didn't receive much help from his teammates (Jordan Clarkson was an exception). Rudy Gobert in particular played didn't play well and really didn't help the Jazz. He didn't play that well defensively and didn't really do much for them offensively either. That hurt the Jazz and helped factor into their 25pt lead evaporating. I do hope that Donovan and the Jazz fare better in the future.

On the flipside I give a lot of credit to Terrance Mann who was very impressive tonight. He did a great job of being relentless and willing the Clippers back into that game. After he caught fire, the rest of the team fed off of his energy and got the win.

They all started making shots after being energized by Terrance's performance. (And Reggie Jackson did a nice job of well of helping the Clippers comeback). I had wanted the Jazz to win, but I know that the Clippers and their fans are very happy to make it to the Conference semi-finals which they have never made it to.

Also, I want to give Tyrese Maxey credit for playing well in Sixers Hawks game tonight.  He gave an impressive performance and helped them avoid elimination. Ben Simmons continues to struggle and not contribute hardly anything offensively. I wonder if Terrance will play more minutes in game 7 than Ben will (like he did tonight). 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I felt bad for Donovan too. Again, a very likable player who gave it his all but didn't have the right pieces around him.

As for Ben Simmons, he clearly is in a huge funk. It has to be mental -- the missed layups and dunks are a giveaway because even someone who can't shoot can make layups and dunks. I also notice that the body language between Simmons and the rest of the Sixers is very cold. Like when he was benched a couple times tonight I noticed no one gave him a hi-five or talked to him. Maybe they resent him for having a supermax contract and being such a liability at the line and offensively. Idk. But even people like Seth Curry or Matisse Thybulle (both very friendly and cheerful usually) didn't seem to want much to do with him. 

Also Joel Embiid is obviously hurting and getting frustrated with his team. I wonder how long his bum knee can hold up.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'll go ahead and call it (today, at least) for Atlanta over Philly and Brooklyn over Milwaukee. Over on the other side, Phoenix in 6. 

I agree with the game 7 in the East predictions but for Phoenix it all depends on how quickly CP3 can come back. They tend to wander offensively without him being in top form.

37 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I agree with the game 7 in the East predictions but for Phoenix it all depends on how quickly CP3 can come back. They tend to wander offensively without him being in top form.

It's been radio silence at least in the places I've been reading what's his status. But Game 1 is Sunday. 

10 hours ago, LexieLily said:
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It's been radio silence at least in the places I've been reading what's his status. But Game 1 is Sunday. 

No way he plays, and if he actually does, he probably won't be effective.  It's pretty much a 1.5 day turnaround which hurts (or helps) both teams.  I imagine Game 2 is slated for Tuesday & Game 3 on Friday.  It'll be a total toss in terms of who benefits this series

11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

As for Ben Simmons, he clearly is in a huge funk. It has to be mental -- the missed layups and dunks are a giveaway because even someone who can't shoot can make layups and dunks. I also notice that the body language between Simmons and the rest of the Sixers is very cold. Like when he was benched a couple times tonight I noticed no one gave him a hi-five or talked to him. Maybe they resent him for having a supermax contract and being such a liability at the line and offensively. Idk. But even people like Seth Curry or Matisse Thybulle (both very friendly and cheerful usually) didn't seem to want much to do with him. 

With the way Ben Simmons have been playing, I don't blame the other Sixers players if they shunned him. At least, Embiid is giving it his all while his knee is hurting him. Frankly, I'm now curious how Ben Simmons will mess it up for the Sixers in Game 7 like he did in Game 5.

As for Bucks - Nets, hopefully, the Bucks will find a way to take care of business tonight, like they should of done in Game 5. 

5 years ago today (it seems like a lifetime ago), the Cleveland Cavaliers defeated those wretched scummy 73-win Warriors 93-89 at their house (Oracle Arena) to win their first NBA Championship in team history & putting an end to that 52 yr curse (1964) of Cleveland not winning a sports championship. I know that a lot of people on ESPN (especially Stephen A Smith) were not happy about that result & they're still pissed off about to this day. We no longer have to hear ESPN being gleeful & happy about Cleveland's sports failures. Not only that, but that 73-win season from those Warriors went down the toilet where it belongs. That win will probably be the #1 greatest moment of my life watching sports & rooting for a team.

2016 NBA Finals Game 7

NBA - Last 3:39 of Game 7 (2016 Finals)

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Magog said:

5 years ago today (it seems like a lifetime ago), the Cleveland Cavaliers defeated those wretched scummy 73-win Warriors 93-89 at their house (Oracle Arena) to win their first NBA Championship in team history & putting an end to that 52 yr curse (1964) of Cleveland not winning a sports championship. I know that a lot of people on ESPN (especially Stephen A Smith) were not happy about that result & they're still pissed off about to this day. We no longer have to hear ESPN being gleeful & happy about Cleveland's sports failures. Not only that, but that 73-win season from those Warriors went down the toilet where it belongs. That win will probably be the #1 greatest moment of my life watching sports & rooting for a team.

Other than losing that game to those Cavaliers, did Steph and the Warriors murder somebody?  Or hang a kitten?   

• LOL 9
10 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Other than losing that game to those Cavaliers, did Steph and the Warriors murder somebody?  Or hang a kitten?   

Didn't you know? Steph Curry massacred an entire family, drank their blood, hung their kittens, drowned their puppy, and electrocuted their hamster. 

He also beat Lebron in 2015, 2017, and 2018 which is where I THINK magog's hatred is coming from.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

I actually felt bad for KD tonight. He was played really great and gave it his all. The rest of the Nets didn't do enough to help him. James Harden was a liability out there tonight. He kept jacking up missed threes and he messed up the momentum that the Nets had multiple times when they were making runs.

He shouldn't have played as much as he did tonight, considering he was injured and his shots were not falling. Joe Harris also played poorly overall in this series. Steve Nash also didn't really play any of the Nets bench. They had like zero points tonight. That is ridiculous. Even if they had advanced they couldn't have fared too well doing that, especially since other teams benches are really stepping up and contributing.

This is a nice win for the Bucks and their fans. I'm not sure how far they will end up going. I believe if the Nets had been healthier they wouldn't have made the ECF. They might beat Philly especially if Ben Simmons continues to struggle the way that he is.

But I could see Atlanta possibly beating them if they advance. Atlanta is very resilient and well coached, I could see them being pesky towards the Bucks. And I also think that whoever comes out of the West could end up beating them as well. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If KD had been one inch back on that three in regulation...

His size 18 feet are just too big sometimes.

I don't want to hear any slander on either Giannis or KD. They both were incredible tonight. Slander Harden, Harris, Holiday, all you want. But I tip my hat to Giannis and KD.

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

But he wasn't. 

Thank god they lost. Superteams (see Yankees every year, Dodgers of late) bug the shit out of me.

But the Bucks play maybe the dirtiest defense in the league. I don't respect teams who defend by poking eyes, pulling legs, trying to trip people, trying to crash on their limbs. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Bucks and Nets are playing an instant classic. Just phenomenal basketball. 

I only saw OT, which was a steaming pile of crap, aesthetically. 

But the right team lost! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of entitled jerks. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Fukui San said:

OT was ugly. But to be fair most of the starters were 50 minutes deep or had fouled out. 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

How are they jerks?

Kyrie bought George Floyd's family a house.

KD does a bunch of charity work and has sponsored AAU teams including Trae Young's team when he was young.

Blake Griffin donates a bunch of money every year and paid for the Pistons' workers salaries during the pandemic.

Steve Nash is one of the most beloved vets of all time.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 4