Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

His wife is an anti-vaxxer. Apparently reddit had screengrabs of her IG stories where she tried to say Hank Aaron died bc of the covid vaccine.

If he isn't, I'm surprised they would have had anyone on the team (players and otherwise) that hadn't been vaccinated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A lot of chatter now that Beal is off the team that Lloyd Pierce is blackballing Trae Young. Lloyd Pierce was fired mid-season from the Hawks and the Hawks went on to go on a huge winning streak and make the ECF. But Pierce apparently wanted Young gone, FO sided with Young and Pierce was booted. 

Today Trae Young posted on twitter and Isiah Thomas responded:

• Love 1
(edited)

Supposedly Team USA has inquired with Tobias Harris' camp to check his availability to replace Beal. I thought Harris was getting married this off season, but I may be wrong.

ETA, Australia just announced the exhibition game against the US tomorrow has been canceled due to health and safety protocols. 

Edited by emma675d
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Supposedly Team USA has inquired with Tobias Harris' camp to check his availability to replace Beal. I thought Harris was getting married this off season, but I may be wrong.

ETA, Australia just announced the exhibition game against the US tomorrow has been canceled due to health and safety protocols. 

Tobias Harris is a good guy but he's so disappointing as a player. He's good in the regular season and then disappears during the post-season.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Javale McGee and Keldon Johnson are the new team USA players. Keldon Johnson is a bit of Pop favoritism. Javale McGee -- no idea what they're doing with that pick.

If they can just upgrade players from the select team, why did they go with Javale? Lol. 

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Eh, JaVale will just be out there for garbage time. But sad that he's the best backup center they could find, even on such short notice.

Most of the quality bigs are foreign.

Karl Anthony Towns: Dominican

De'Andre Ayton: Bahaman

Joel Embiid: Cameroonian

Giannis: Greek

Nikola Jokic: Serbian

• Useful 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

What a shitshow: Kevin Love also withdrew from team USA

One of the radio personalities in my local area said that the NBA should not have sent over anyone this year.  I get not wanting to lose this cycle, but I'm sorry: it's just not worth it this year.  People are saying that Covid is over.  The fact is there is a difference between the levels of restrictions around the US & Planet Earth, while under the same pandemic.  Still too soon to "assume nothing" and for what it's worth, the entire league shutdown immediately after Gobert's positive.  Gobert alone was enough to make what turned out to be a tough, brutal, but correct call.  And then there's the fact that people are coming off of a shortened off season, and really, the first of a couple.

Edited by Carey
Goulet <> Gobert
20 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Gobert. Rudy Gobert. Mr. Goulet had a different skill set.

Since it's not Goulet, I guess everyone is now free to disregard any safety measures & concerns.  Covid is done; I was wrong

(edited)

I disagree. No one was forced to sign up. The people who signed up want to be there. It's an honor to represent your country in the Olys and clearly people like Kevin Durant, Damian Lillard and Jayson Tatum are very driven. In the off-season they'd probably be balling in pickup games and team workouts anyway. So if they want to channel disappointment of the playoff losses into a team USA gold, I say good for them. 

ETA: the reason they are superstars is they are competitive and the Olys is another channel for that competitive drive. People who are that competitive don't have an off switch.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 2
(edited)

Before I respond to Lady Whistleup, I gotta thank and apologize to AimingforYoko for my post on Friday, which was the culmination of the worst week in nearly a year and a half (measured off of expectation).  Just brutal and cruel on my end; adversity is what it is, but sometimes things are ridiculous.  I felt that a point may have been made regardless of mentioning a different guy, but I posted the wrong guy.  My fault, I'm better than that.  Unless I'm super fast or in a hurry or something; I'm a fan of getting it right before getting it first.

As for the Olympics, to his or her their own.  Over the past 60 years & in no particular order (other than chronological), the 1984, 1992, 1996, 2004, 2008, & 2012 summer games were so worth it for me.  It was the use of action in terms of a group of athletes playing for their country.  It is a high honor.  There's discussion to be made toward the popularity.  There may be some activities that a viewer could care less for, and others that might produce the opposite thought.

IMO, this past couple of years, specifically hoops, have been tough without known stars being featured in the Olympics.  It's sorta like this postseason: the fewer the big names, the less the interest.  As mentioned, no one was forced to be there.  Outside of protocols, injury, and whatever else, no one was forced to quit or forgo it either.

Just a personal opinion, not a fact or anything

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1

I mean, I think KD and Dame and Jayson Tatum are big names. Devin Booker is too. It's disappointing that injuries/shortened schedule took out some big names. It would have been cool for James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, Anthony Davis, Lebron, etc. to make it to Tokyo. But I understand why they didn't.

I'm sorry @Carey if you're having a rough week. I've been having a bad week as well with some stubborn health issues.

• Love 2

Painful loss for Phoenix, but it would've been just that for Milwaukee given how they had a double-digit lead lead despite trailing by double-digits early enough.

The Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy will be on site in Milwaukee on Tuesday. It will have meaning to the team hosting that game, they can hoist it or leave for the Valley without doing so

Celebrating the win and left the TV on to hear post-game interviews/analysis, and then at the start of the local news here in Wisconsin there was a story on a bar in the Phoenix area which is a Packers bar and now has become a Bucks bar.  They had someone from the bar talking about how they have all things Wisconsin - cheese curds and cheese steaks were mentioned.  Cheese steaks?  Dude, Philadelphia is in Pennsylvania, not Wisconsin.  Where are the brats?  

• LOL 1

I've got mixed feelings heading into tonight's game. I want Phoenix to win because I want them to win the championship, but there's the other part of me that wants this series to hurry up and get itself over with so Booker, Middleton and Holiday can get to Tokyo.

• Love 1

First things first: Thanks to Lady Whistleup for your kind words.  Just a ton of adversity that started a couple Fridays ago and lasted throughout the week.  Just a combination of network and power issues.  I probably don't care about that stuff any other time of the year, but I'm travelling and will be off for a week or so.  Went from having a decent lead to a moderate one.  The difference was that I'd be returning with a slim lead, but instead, might return being behind.

I'm hoping for the series to end tonight as well.  Same reasons as LexieLily, plus I'm ready for some football.  It'll be the last time we'll see this change, but even without it, the postseason has been a couple handfuls of meh at best.  Furthermore, I'd like to see it end tonight since I'll be heading out of town around the end of the week (now a couple days or so).  I'd rather not deal with travel & a winner-take-all game, especially if Phoenix loses at home again.  OTOH, if the Suns win out, then it'll be worth it!

• Love 1

I just want the series over because it has felt like this season has lasted foreverrrr (plus, my two teams are out of the running, lol). I'm ready for Olympics basketball and a little bit of a break; bring on football!

• Love 2

Congrats to the Milwaukee Bucks and their fans on winning the championship in the first time in several years. Their fans have great energy and you can see how much this really means to them.  After not being the favorites in this series and after people originally thought that Giannis might not be able to play in it, they fought their way back after a 0-2 start to win four in a row. They did a great job of showing resilency especially Giannis. He was great tonight and really stepped up for them big time in this series. He deserves the Finals MVP.

I do feel bad for the Suns and wished they would have won. I was rooting for Monty Williams who I think is a great coach/person. But they came undone, including at the end of tonight's game, where they kept missing a bunch of shots, and couldn't do enough to hold on. They are a very talented young team, though I'm not sure when they might make it back to finals. I could see the Bucks making it back before them. 

• Love 2

Yay Bucks! 

I'm in the Western Conference so I don't see that much of the Bucks, but I"ve always like the Freak and Brook is my favorite of the Lopi, but I'm the happiest for their fans.  Did you see that crowd outside the stadium?

They've got some great fans and the city itself really deserves this!  And that little Antetokounmpo Giannis is carrying around is an absolute doll!

• Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Happy for the Bucks and PJ Tucker and Giannis but I am gutted for CP3. Man.

CP3 didn't have a good series :( Gutted for him too, although I'm happy for the veterans on the Bucks team like Brook Lopez who finally won a ring.

CP3 also walked off the floor without congratulating the Bucks, which I thought was kinda classless.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

CP3 also walked off the floor without congratulating the Bucks, which I thought was kinda classless.

To be fair to CP3, the NBA Finals is foreign territory for him, and when his career ends, it'll be a glorified dream!

• LOL 2

I’m more impressed with Giannis’s 17 for 19 from the FT line after he’s gotten so much crap for how terrible he has been in the postseason. Very happy for the Bucks especially after their heartbreak last playoffs. They deserve it.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m more impressed with Giannis’s 17 for 19 from the FT line after he’s gotten so much crap for how terrible he has been in the postseason. Very happy for the Bucks especially after their heartbreak last playoffs. They deserve it.

I could be wrong but I also feel like this was the year for the Bucks to win. If they didn't do it this year, I'm not sure they couldhave returned next year. The East seems to be getting stronger and deeper -- this year, the Nets, Bucks, Sixers, Hawks all potentially could have won the finals.

• Love 4

And now, the talk is that this is the next big thing, the future for the NBA.  Forgot exactly how Colin Cowherd mentioned it, but Milwaukee winning is a great thing for the league.  So far, Giannis is off to a good start.  1-1 in the NBA Finals without the series getting to a Game 7.

The Bucks winning it all was rather inevitable after their escape against Brooklyn.  Though I wonder how the series would've played out had a healthier LA Lakers team came out of the West.  Or the Warriors teams that have dominated in the past (except for last year).

Despite his classless exit, I feel bad for Chris Paul.  It is what it is that they got fortunate to make the Finals.  It might be CP3's last shot (and Phoenix).  I think he could've handled it better, but the fact that the end is not too long from now may have been part of the emotions going for him, more than being "jealous & bitter" at the Bucks

I know that the NBA Commish announces the MVP (or makes it official), but I don't see why Malika didn't just confirm it herself.  It was super obvious.  Dan Patrick used to crown the MVP (for the Super Bowl) by saying so; the NFL didn't need Roger Goodell to make a special announcement of it.

Hats off to ESPN/ABC/Disney for sticking with Malika Andrews, speaking of which. She did well in a big role, last minute, including the trophy celebration. If this happens with NBC/CBS/FOX, they'd have the pregame/studio host or the play by play guy do it.

To be fair, those other networks have a permanent person doing it (studio host for NBC, PBP guy for CBS aka Nantz, and Bradshaw or whatever for FOX)

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I understand that CP3 was heartbroken. He seems to be one of those people that is really kind off the court but on the court he can seem like a poor sport.

I feel bad for Monty Williams but he was all class:

Yeah.  I was going to say that the Suns coach made up for any classlessness because he went above and beyond.  I don't know much about him but he seems like a good guy.

That said, I'm thrilled the Bucks won. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a big NBA or Bucks fan but I did grow up in WI so I will always carry a ticket to the bandwagon for any of their sports teams.   It's also a bit surreal because I never thought the Bucks would win a championship growing up.  They were positively awful. Packers were the team who had done it. 

And every clip I've ever seen of Giannis makes me feel like a petty loser.  He seems to have a ridiculously amazing perspective for being such a massive superstar. One that I can't imagine having even though I'm older.  Hmph.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

"Suns [lose] in 4"

And there's your Phoenix headline.  Or rather, the hottest thing selling in Milwaukee right now!

Monty Williams is the type of person who, if he spilled or mishandled a pot of sauce or a gallon of milk onto the floor or important documents, the time spent crying or getting mad over that would be spent cleaning it up and figuring out a replacement for the lost items.  Something he'd preach to someone else, that's for sure.

What he did reminded me of Scott Brooks speech to Oklahoma City after they lost to Miami in 2012, and how they were going to handle it.  A team that included KD, Westbrook, and Harden, no less.  That, and how Manning met up with Ray Lewis after the latter's 3rd to last game, following a painful home loss.  The Thunder stars have since gone on to have better careers, and Manning was okay after that (and somewhat before too)

The interesting question will be what happens to Rachel Nichols.  While I'm not sure how many viewers actually care about who does the sideline reporting or hosting it's not a good look if she gets more gigs because of this.

I actually enjoyed this NBA Finals & the Bucks winning it all last night. It was pretty mesmerizing seeing all of those people (65,000) outside of Fiserv Forum cheering on the Bucks & celebrating their championship victory.

BTW, the victory parade is tomorrow & it will be very enjoyable to watch. Thankfully, it won't be as stomach turning as those Warriors parades.

Mike Budenholzen can breathe a whole lot easier now. Countless people was calling for his neck, saying how much of a dunce he is & how much he sucks as a coach. Now, he definitely have the last laugh. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Magog said:

Now, he definitely have the last laugh. 

No. He'll probably get "he'd be nowhere without Giannis" which can both be true and underestimate his skills. (Not that I know whether or not he's a good coach.)

(edited)

The victory parade for the Milwaukee Bucks was fun to watch. But, compare to the Raptors & Cavaliers parades, it felt like it come & went. I was kind of hoping it would went on longer than it did.

PJ Tucker was the highlight of the celebration. It really made me laugh. I can't imagine how James Harden is feeling about this right now.

PJ Tucker's speech

Edited by Magog
(edited)
13 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Man, Team USA lost their opening game against France. If they aren’t careful, Kevin Durant might sign with another country. 

"Hey, Luca and Rudy, I'm gonna sign with Argentina, but I really want you guys to come with me. You in?"

Edited by Danny Franks
  • LOL 2
27 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

The Peacock app to try and watch live Olympic events like is awful, just saying.

I was just watching the basketball game on Peacock. It's the first event I've found on there. Couldn't find the gymnastics to save my life! 

As for the game, it's DameTime! I love him. 😁

• Love 1