Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Last Chance For Romance

• Start Topic

There are so many theories on this guy it's nuts. He's gay. No, he's axsexual. No, he's a playboy sexaholic. What the hell?

This may be part of a master plan to achieve stardom in an even greater reality show.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've seen people say that Devina looked shocked when Sean revealed the promotion but I was watching her face and she starts to roll her eyes even before he gets it out. She knew what he was talking about. They dissect their lives to death I'm positive Sean has made the statement: This is my five year plan (and talked about getting promoted). 

I agree that her face said she had heard it before but she also looked shocked that he would spring it on her as his "get out of jail free" card.  I think she half expected it at that point but it still felt like a shock to know that this was actually true, and that he probably had planned to say it for weeks.  it was kind of like, "You bastard, so I was right about you all along".

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

Davina's stilted comment upon meeting her bowling partners made me guffaw.

Davina has certainly earned her success as pharm rep.

The ability to muster up that comment reflects years of glad handing.

Hoping that producers planted the merry widow thingee Jac was wearing in the photo shoot, too skeevy to think otherwise.

The Tiffany money clip cost Jess about 2 hundy.

Ryan got a heads up from the producers of how much was spent on his gift so he had to buy the gallon sized jug of eau de cologne for Jess.

Anybody recognize the brand by the shape and design of the Costco sized bottle?

And that's so funny because there is a Costco right by their temporary apartment. Good catch!
(edited)

I think the body language during their meetings with Dr. Spiritual said it all. JacRy were in constant contact, with her leaning into him and his arm around her the entire time. My money is on them staying together. JessRy started off on opposite ends, but by the end, she had her hand on his knee and he had his arm - well, not around her, but behind her. I think they stay together...for now. They seem a little non-committal. And Sean and Davina - seriously, do we even need to discuss their prospects? They make Vaughn and Monet look like a love match. 

As for JessRy, I don't know if the editing sucks or they are just faking it, but there is nothing that they've shown that makes me buy their story. Don't get me wrong - there were times during the episode that they seemed to genuinely enjoy eachother's company, but their story arc doesn't show us how the hell they got from A to B. It makes no sense to me.

Finally, Sean and Davina. Perhaps they should have gone to the North Fork for their honeymoon because the one moment they seemed to actually have fun (since the wedding) was them laughing at the vineyard. Their whole relationship seems to have gone south during the honeymoon. Who's idea was it to go to Colorado? Neither of them seemed to like to ski, or skate or do anything in the snow.

Either way, I don't think either is blameless in this situation. Sean never should have claimed to be as flexible about moving if he wasn't.  I don't know whether it was a lack of self-awareness or that he just didn't take the process seriously (e.g. would say anything to up his chances of being matched), but either way, he can't hold Davina completely responsible for a hell of his own making. At the same time, I can't argue with the fact that Davina was completely inflexible. She claims that Manhattan was her dealbreaker, but in reality, it seems like "changing anything about my everyday life" was her dealbreaker. They moved one block from the apartment she bought. One block. She could have moved crosstown or downtown and made Sean's commute easier and shorter by giving him bridge or tunnel access, but didn't. Then again, I think by the time they were looking, post-honeymoon, the frost had settled in pretty well.

All in all, they are a terrible match. Sean's been phoning it in since the honeymoon, desperately trying to save face and doing just enough to not appear to be a raging asshole. Davina, however, confuses "I want someone to fight for me" with "I want someone to fill up my raging neediness by acquiescing to anything I want/need (spoken or unspoken) because that's the only way I will feel loved." 

Edited by The Evil One
  • Love 6

I'm soooo very tired of hearing about the sparks Sean and Davina had during the wedding. So they found each other even remotely attractive, now they're just hateable people. And who puts a photo up on your wall when there is someone you don't even know in it? They're idiots.

• Love 1

I can't help but feel that Jaclyn was given the wrong Ryan.  I think she is exactly the type Ryan D. was looking for:  an attractive bigmouth Jewish/Italian wife from NYC who can dish it out and take it, thoroughly devoted to husband and family. Instead she got Baby Ryan.  

I also seem to like Ryan D. more than most, maybe because I knew quite a few like him growing up in NYC... and because I can't imagine being married to someone as passive-aggressive as Jessica.  Six weeks with her and I'd be certifiable.

Jaclyn's type is better for Ryan D, but I'm glad they weren't paired together. I've liked Ryan D since the first episode and I still hope he and Jess can make it. But you're right...he needs Jess to come out of her shell a little more.

• Love 2

I have to address the question why Davina did not give NJ a try.  

A development Jackson NJ is a very nowhere place. Especially for someone who likes the city. It was part NJ pinelands and farmlands until this generation couldn't afford to live in North Jersey area anymore.  They threw in some developments but it overall has no identity.  Here we say "they live out in Jackson.  Response: Oh.   That doesn't explain everything but it's just dismally nowhere for young single people.   It's not the shore, it's not a farm, it's not a pinelands area where they go four-wheeling and have horses and stuff. He lives in a development there and it's a fish out for what that area was.  When Sean said for this price you could get 4 bedrooms and a pool etc in NJ..  he meant in Jackson NJ.  That's not the case in most other areas.

There are some lovely suburban towns in northern/central NJ.  I grew up in one. Many are on the bus/train line into NY and I commuted to school and work there many times.  It had access to culture and clubs and fun stuff.

I was disappointed that Sean would not embrace the city.  There is tons to do. He could easily make Alot! more money working there and so he could have gotten a job there eventually if it worked out.  He was one of the very fortunate few who could have lived in Manhattan (due to Davina) and settled in boring, sterile suburbia a few years down the line when they had kids.  That said, I'm glad they are done.  They matched a sophisticated 30some yo woman with a 12 year old and it was painful to watch.   

• Love 8

Well put seasick and not hard to understand. Jackson may be the perfect place for Sean if he was retired. But, sean said he was ambitious and yet afraid of the perfect opportunity. I agree that they were a poor match

• Love 2

To me it is very odd that someone would be willing to relocate and also know that his mate could very well be from Manhattan just like the first season and then be almost shocked at the revelation.  That said, if I was on my honeymoon with my new wife that I just met who would then rip me a new one because I did not read her mind correctly as to why she was suddenly crying on a sleigh ride, I wouldn't want to relocate next door let alone Manhattan. 

• Love 3

To me it is very odd that someone would be willing to relocate and also know that his mate could very well be from Manhattan just like the first season and then be almost shocked at the revelation.  That said, if I was on my honeymoon with my new wife that I just met who would then rip me a new one because I did not read her mind correctly as to why she was suddenly crying on a sleigh ride, I wouldn't want to relocate next door let alone Manhattan. 

lol!  I don't entirely agree.. but it was funny the way you put it.   I think that likely after 4 days of Sean babbling on about what he thinks and how he thinks and what he saw and what that means ..I think she snapped. 

• Love 1
As for JessRy, I don't know if the editing sucks or they are just faking it, but there is nothing that they've shown that makes me buy their story. Don't get me wrong - there were times during the episode that they seemed to genuinely enjoy eachother's company, but their story arc doesn't show us how the hell they got from A to B. It makes no sense to me.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it with them.  I was hoping they could work out their communication issues but you're right, they just aren't convincing me that they enjoy each other's company.  And how they went from not talking to being on a supposedly good course doesn't add up.  Plus Ryan didn't seem sincere about it when he complimented Jess and gave her flowers.

All in all, they are a terrible match. Sean's been phoning it in since the honeymoon, desperately trying to save face and doing just enough to not appear to be a raging asshole. Davina, however, confuses "I want someone to fight for me" with "I want someone to fill up my raging neediness by acquiescing to anything I want/need (spoken or unspoken) because that's the only way I will feel loved." 

THIS, ten thousand times over.  Although while Davina induces the gag reflex, Sean makes me feel terminally ill.  The thing is, Davina does actually want a relationship, but finding the person that will do all that for her and won't run screaming after 2 dates is the problem!

I was disappointed that Sean would not embrace the city.  There is tons to do. He could easily make Alot! more money working there and so he could have gotten a job there eventually if it worked out.  He was one of the very fortunate few who could have lived in Manhattan (due to Davina) and settled in boring, sterile suburbia a few years down the line when they had kids.  That said, I'm glad they are done.  They matched a sophisticated 30some yo woman with a 12 year old and it was painful to watch.   

Being from NY myself I can't imagine why someone would not jump at that opportunity, especially now that Manhattan is out of reach of most people on the planet.  It just goes to show that either NY was like throwing pearls before swine with him (which I think is true) or he just really did not want to get involved with Davina (which I also think is true).  I still think that if Davina was a hot racy mama who was willing to jump in the sack with him and had a "c'est la vie" attitude about the future of their relationship, he would have been all down with it until he got bored and moved on.  I doubt he would ever have committed to anyone he was matched with.

• Love 5

I've been thinking some more about Davina's apartment situation (It's sad really. I obviously need a hobby). I bet it is one of those subsidized buildings where you have to be middle income to qualify. Those condos are "reasonably" priced, under market rate so that regular families can stay in the community and not be priced out. The thing is a resident who is awarded one must live in the building for anywhere from 5-10 years. This is to avoid developers buying up all the low cost properties and flipping them for millions of dollars. Once a resident lives out their 5 or 10 years, they are allowed to flip it though. This would explain why one of Davina's tattle-tell friends who keeps talking too much on the Internet said that her apartment would be worth $1 million.

If that's the case, I kind of understand why Davina was very adamant about not moving. New Yorkers go crazy for those apartments and sometimes they literally call the selection process a lottery. On the other hand, she was essentially married to an apartment before she came on the show, so it was really unwise of her to get married. Marriages, in the best of circumstances, are unpredictable. What if your husband's mom gets sick or he needs to move for a job or something? There is no way one partner can say they can not move. It's the same for Sean though. He is essentially married to his job, in the midst of a promotion and committed to working 16 hour shifts that don't allow long commutes. Why either one of these people thought it was a good idea to marry a stranger and dump that kind of baggage on them is beyond me. If this "experiment" taught us anything, it's never marry a stranger because they probably have issues.

One more thing I thought of re: Davina/Sean's sexless marriage. He probably can't have sex if, like the media article said, he was having panic attacks throughout the experience. And he flopped at bowling when he got nervous/anxious. I don't think he's being evil or calculating as some have suggested. I think one poster put it best when she said he is suffering from weenie-ism. Half the time he's on the screen, he looks like he wants to curl up in the fetal position. Devina takes way too much pleasure in busting on him though. For someone who was bullied and knows what it feels like, she's brutal.

• Love 2

I've been thinking some more about Davina's apartment situation (It's sad really. I obviously need a hobby). I bet it is one of those subsidized buildings where you have to be middle income to qualify. Those condos are "reasonably" priced, under market rate so that regular families can stay in the community and not be priced out. The thing is a resident who is awarded one must live in the building for anywhere from 5-10 years. This is to avoid developers buying up all the low cost properties and flipping them for millions of dollars. Once a resident lives out their 5 or 10 years, they are allowed to flip it though. This would explain why one of Davina's tattle-tell friends who keeps talking too much on the Internet said that her apartment would be worth $1 million.

One more thing I thought of re: Davina/Sean's sexless marriage. He probably can't have sex if, like the media article said, he was having panic attacks throughout the experience. And he flopped at bowling when he got nervous/anxious. I don't think he's being evil or calculating as some have suggested. I think one poster put it best when she said he is suffering from weenie-ism. Half the time he's on the screen, he looks like he wants to curl up in the fetal position. Devina takes way too much pleasure in busting on him though. For someone who was bullied and knows what it feels like, she's brutal.

That's interesting, I had heard about those apartments but I didn't know there was a residency requirement.  You're right, that would explain why Davina is so tied to the Island, at least for the short-term.

The only think Sean panicked about is the thought that he might have to commit himself to a relationship.  I personally think he's a classic commitment-phobe.  The flip side of the cocky arrogance and the sexual conquests is a deep petrifying fear of commitment.  And yes, these things can exist in one person.  We have not seen Sean when he's "in action" and in his element, so it's hard to imagine that he's anything but the petrified weenie he is in front of a woman he actually MARRIED, but I do believe that other Sean exists.  And I don't think Sean realized the depth of his fear until he actually went through with the marriage.  I think he thought this was going to be a fake-out and a lark and that it wouldn't involve anything close to a real commitment.  I can imagine that anyone who was that commitment-phobic might completely FREAK OUT at realizing that what they had just done was for real and that everyone around them was going to force them to honor their promise, at least for the 6 weeks if not longer.  He reacted almost as if he realized he had committed himself to death and spent the next several weeks looking for a way out while trying not to look like too much of an asshole on camera.

Count me as one who dislikes Sean more than Davina :)  I'll bet Sean's ability to "score" with the ladies comes complete with the "I was bullied" wahh-fest to women he has just met (remember the ep of Everybody Loves Raymond where they learned that "being pathetic" was the way into a woman's heart?)  He is a good looking enough guy if you don't hate him, it's only repeated exposure to his bullying tales/constant blah blah about everything that makes him unappealing.  And his ability to tell people how good he is at things (which never turn out to be true) probably also works if he is only having hook-ups or short term relationships.

I don't remember which episode, although I think it was the one where he outed himself as being "Christian Grey sexual", where they were talking in bed and he decided it was time for him to sleep and announces it and says "good-bye" and then lay down and closed his eyes, so she got out of bed and went to watch tv on her phone in the other room.  He couldn't even lean over and kiss her good night!  So it had to be obvious to her that he was not into her AT ALL, and I don't blame her for becoming even more reserved and bitchy.

Where I see a major fail on the part of the "experts" - especially in light of what someone posted about Jackson, NJ - was them ever pairing these two!  She made it clear that Manhattan is IT for her; he lives in a house in the middle of nowhere that he "decorated himself" in "1990's old lady" style - that should have been Drs Pepper and Cilona's first clue.  Sheesh.

Agreed that the Season 1 brides appearance was the highlight of the episode :)

• Love 4

Yeah, I'm not feeling it with them. I was hoping they could work out their communication issues but you're right, they just aren't convincing me that they enjoy each other's company. And how they went from not talking to being on a supposedly good course doesn't add up. Plus Ryan didn't seem sincere about it when he complimented Jess and gave her flowers.

THIS, ten thousand times over. Although while Davina induces the gag reflex, Sean makes me feel terminally ill. The thing is, Davina does actually want a relationship, but finding the person that will do all that for her and won't run screaming after 2 dates is the problem!

Being from NY myself I can't imagine why someone would not jump at that opportunity, especially now that Manhattan is out of reach of most people on the planet. It just goes to show that either NY was like throwing pearls before swine with him (which I think is true) or he just really did not want to get involved with Davina (which I also think is true). I still think that if Davina was a hot racy mama who was willing to jump in the sack with him and had a "c'est la vie" attitude about the future of their relationship, he would have been all down with it until he got bored and moved on. I doubt he would ever have committed to anyone he was matched with.

I'm from NY and would never want to live in Manhattan. And I don't think that the suburbs are necessarily boring. It's just a personality thing. I wouldn't want to live in the city. I like having my space where I live. For me, the city is nice to visit, but not to live.
  • Love 1

I'm from NY and would never want to live in Manhattan. And I don't think that the suburbs are necessarily boring. It's just a personality thing. I wouldn't want to live in the city. I like having my space where I live. For me, the city is nice to visit, but not to live.

I totally understand that point of view however Sean did state he was willing to relocate and should have been prepared that since the lab-rats (they do keep calling this tragedy an 'experiment') are being cast from the NYC Metropolitan area.  Maybe he would be willing to relocate, but not for her (and I cannot blame him for that).

In general however, these are two awful and ill-equipped individuals for a relationship, let alone a shotgun marriage (thank god there are no kids involved).  But they should stay together as a public service to keep them away from potential innocents in the dating pool

(edited)

Oh I wouldn't want to live there now either myself, but to be young and have it handed to you on a silver platter - That's an opportunity that doesn't come along everyday.  I'd have done it just for the adventure when I was young, even temporarily.  It wasn't necessarily a life sentence and Davina even said she pictured herself in the suburbs in a few years.  A lot of people do the NY thing and leave eventually when they settle down.  The way he acted it was like he was being sentenced to hell or something.  I don't understand Sean's lack of adventure.  One would think he'd be up for anything since he acted like he wanted to find love so bad.  Seriously, I think what he was most down on is commitment, and commitment specifically to Davina, not so much New York.  I'll bet he sold himself to the producers of the show as being up for going anywhere if he "found love".  Well, I guess he didn't find love so he wasn't going anywhere.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Devina takes way too much pleasure in busting on him though. For someone who was bullied and knows what it feels like, she's brutal.

Man, isn't that the truth. She LOVES busting his chops. Remember that episode where she somehow labeled him a bedwetter, even though he professed never to have wet the bed? She could not stop laughing about it. And I think she was determined that he suck his own toe just because she knew he didn't want to, and she wanted to make him look stupid.

That's interesting, I had heard about those apartments but I didn't know there was a residency requirement.  You're right, that would explain why Davina is so tied to the Island, at least for the short-term.

The only think Sean panicked about is the thought that he might have to commit himself to a relationship.  I personally think he's a classic commitment-phobe.  The flip side of the cocky arrogance and the sexual conquests is a deep petrifying fear of commitment.  And yes, these things can exist in one person.  We have not seen Sean when he's "in action" and in his element, so it's hard to imagine that he's anything but the petrified weenie he is in front of a woman he actually MARRIED, but I do believe that other Sean exists.  And I don't think Sean realized the depth of his fear until he actually went through with the marriage.  I think he thought this was going to be a fake-out and a lark and that it wouldn't involve anything close to a real commitment.  I can imagine that anyone who was that commitment-phobic might completely FREAK OUT at realizing that what they had just done was for real and that everyone around them was going to force them to honor their promise, at least for the 6 weeks if not longer.  He reacted almost as if he realized he had committed himself to death and spent the next several weeks looking for a way out while trying not to look like too much of an asshole on camera.

Maybe that's why his momma was sooooooooooooooo against him doing it. She knows what her son is like.

• Love 2

Something is funny between the flight to the honeymoon sky resort and walking into the room. Davina changed. Whatever happened, she went on guard. There was the mile high club video and then I don't want to have sex until I am in love.

I think Sean realized he was over his head when he found out Davina wasn't just a "drug rep". She is a lot more, and makes the big bucks. I think he was intimidated. I'm not sure that she wanted that, but something happened that we may never know.

I also am in the camp that Sean was never in this for real. I don't know what his reasons were for being on the show, but love wasn't it. I believe some of what his co workers have said.

I would probably be worse and dirty than davina is being on SM because I would want a voice and I would be pissed.

• Love 3

Davina mentioned she would consider moving when the 2nd Ave Subway opened and she could sell it for a profit and move to NJ and gave the timeframe as two years so it doesn't sound like she is in some sort or restricted situation, she also owned her previous apartment which she sold, so she could just be good with the good money that she makes. And I know the 2nd Ave Subway is currently on schedule it just amused me she used that it as when she would leave Manhattan because it has been notoriously in the planning stages since the 1920s and while I think she lives near phase one the two years could be accurate it's not supposed to be completed until 2029 and that is optimistic so I could just imagine her continuing to say no I meant when the entire line was completed I want that equity.

I don't think anyone knows whether Davina really would have made changes for the right guy, but my suspicion is that she wouldn't have been such a "brick wall" if Sean had really impressed her.  My whole point was that Davina was making him put his money where his mouth was in claiming he would be OK with moving.  We don't know what Davina's living circumstances are.  Being from NY myself I've known a lot of people who live in Manhattan who don't even own cars and a few who don't even have licenses or have them but never drive.  Seriously!  In many ways living in Manhattan can be like living on a desert Island without a boat.  Either someone joins you on the Island or forget it, there's no way you can join them.  Owning a car in Manhattan is extremely expensive and difficult.   The traffic in and out of Manhattan is difficult too.  And I know all about that.  These kinds of logistics were never discussed by the show but I know they would have made a huge difference in understanding why things happened the way they did.  Davina couldn't just drop a renovation project in Manhattan to live in NJ. And she shouldn't have to - She specified that was a requirement to the show in the first place.  And forget about commuting to Manhattan from NJ on a daily basis.  That would have been next to impossible.  If she has any regular working hours she would have had to get up at 4:00 a.m. every morning.  And that's one reason why Sean only ended up doing it on his days off.  Sean even mentioned in this episode that the one day he tried commuting to NJ it took him 2 hours.  I am not surprised one bit about that timing.   I also wonder what a fortune it must have cost for him to keep his car in NY.  I can't imagine he would have parked on the street!  Finding parking on the street in Manhattan is extremely difficult.  So I don't think Davina was being so unmovable during the experiment for no reason.  I still think if Sean had acted more interested in her she might have been more willing to discuss the future with him post-apartment.

I can totally relate. In fact, I can relate to both sides. I grew up in Manhattan and didn't learn to drive til I was 30. I swore I would never leave and would never live in the suburbs. After I married and had a child it became increasingly difficult to live in the city. Eventually we moved to the suburbs and now I can't imagine ever going back. Life with a car and space is so much easier in so many ways, although sometimes I miss my single life in the city and the convenience of everything at your fingertips and never having to worry about maintaining a house. My husband on the other hand, regretted the move and wanted to go back to the city and that became a big problem in our marriage. He seems finally resigned to our suburban life. Truthfully, we could not afford Manhattan. Maybe someday when our kids are grown we will go back.

• Love 5

I can totally relate. In fact, I can relate to both sides. I grew up in Manhattan and didn't learn to drive til I was 30. I swore I would never leave and would never live in the suburbs. After I married and had a child it became increasingly difficult to live in the city. Eventually we moved to the suburbs and now I can't imagine ever going back. Life with a car and space is so much easier in so many ways, although sometimes I miss my single life in the city and the convenience of everything at your fingertips and never having to worry about maintaining a house. My husband on the other hand, regretted the move and wanted to go back to the city and that became a big problem in our marriage. He seems finally resigned to our suburban life. Truthfully, we could not afford Manhattan. Maybe someday when our kids are grown we will go back.

Are you from that insurance commercial? LOL! Anyway, I went thru the same thing.  I was in love with NYC when I lived there for college and grad school!! I moved to Jersey when I got married and settled down. Now,my nerves can't handle the constant noise and commotion of the city.  I can go see a show but that's it! If Davina finds the right person, she would leave that apartment, subway or completion or NO!? ( said like Jaclyn- lol) It's amazing what we will do when we meet the right partner! On the other hand, I doubt Sean would ever meet the right partner to live anywhere, Alaska included.  Something about his screams frail and scared.

• Love 3

I have to address the question why Davina did not give NJ a try.  

A development Jackson NJ is a very nowhere place. Especially for someone who likes the city. It was part NJ pinelands and farmlands until this generation couldn't afford to live in North Jersey area anymore.  They threw in some developments but it overall has no identity.  Here we say "they live out in Jackson.  Response: Oh.   That doesn't explain everything but it's just dismally nowhere for young single people.   It's not the shore, it's not a farm, it's not a pinelands area where they go four-wheeling and have horses and stuff. He lives in a development there and it's a fish out for what that area was.  When Sean said for this price you could get 4 bedrooms and a pool etc in NJ..  he meant in Jackson NJ.  That's not the case in most other areas.

There are some lovely suburban towns in northern/central NJ.  I grew up in one. Many are on the bus/train line into NY and I commuted to school and work there many times.  It had access to culture and clubs and fun stuff.

Well, there is Great Adventure, but that's the only reason anyone would go to Jackson.

• Love 2

I'm soooo very tired of hearing about the sparks Sean and Davina had during the wedding. So they found each other even remotely attractive, now they're just hateable people. And who puts a photo up on your wall when there is someone you don't even know in it? They're idiots.

It was her boobs, nothing else

• Love 1

Personally I think Manhattan is a toxic waste dump. Plenty to do but only if you have millions in disposable income, but if you don't, you just go home to your minuscule apartment and watch TV. You can watch TV in New Jersey.

• Love 3
(edited)

Now that I think about it, I think you're right. They spent Christmas in NJ cause he had to work right before X-Mas. Was this before they got the temp apartment? I think it was. I don't think after they got the apartment she ever returned to NJ. Whatever. I'm over them. I believe that Sean got railroaded about a lot of this stuff but there is no way to verify or prove anything 1 way or the other. Meanwhile Davina and her buddy Chris are still twittering garbage, like compairing Sean to Caitlyn Jenner. So sick. So pathetic. So sad.

She is very smart and driven, but has the emotional maturity of a 14 year old. An immature 14 year old. She is all façade of toughness and power. What a joke of a "relationship".

Edited by Passthepopcorn
  • Love 1

Are you from that insurance commercial? LOL! Anyway, I went thru the same thing.  I was in love with NYC when I lived there for college and grad school!! I moved to Jersey when I got married and settled down. Now,my nerves can't handle the constant noise and commotion of the city.  I can go see a show but that's it! If Davina finds the right person, she would leave that apartment, subway or completion or NO!? ( said like Jaclyn- lol) It's amazing what we will do when we meet the right partner! On the other hand, I doubt Sean would ever meet the right partner to live anywhere, Alaska included.  Something about his screams frail and scared.

I agree that Sean is scared shitless of a real relationship.  Will Davina find the right person, or no?  I loved that scene with Jaclyn, BTW.  That's such a Long Island way of speaking!  Speaking of NYC, I used to think it was because I moved away that I can't stand the constant noise and commotion of the city anymore but my best friend who never left NY tells me it's not only that, it's getting older, and that now in her mid 50s she can't handle it so much anymore.  I remember when I was a kid and growing up all through my young adulthood it didn't bother me at all.  Now when I go down there I can only take it in small doses.  And I try to go on Sundays before/after peak tourist season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am really annoyed at Jaclyn and Ryan for buying that steak and then (presumably) throwing it away when they messed up on cooking it.  What's wrong with them?  If they didn't know how to cook it, they should have looked it up on the Internet, not wasted food.  I work in a food pantry at my church on weekends and I see people who REALLY need food; not these losers who were like, "let's order pizza."  They acted like spoiled, entitled losers.

I also don't get why some of these folks seem to be proud that they don't know how to cook.  It seems like people think cooking is beneath them or something.  

Personally I think Manhattan is a toxic waste dump. Plenty to do but only if you have millions in disposable income, but if you don't, you just go home to your minuscule apartment and watch TV. You can watch TV in New Jersey.

That sounds like an ignorant stereotype.  Plenty of people (like me) have lived in Manhattan all their lives and that's not how we live.   In fact, I don't know anybody who lives like that.  I look out my window and I see trees and the river and no, I'm not a millionaire, far from it.

BTW, I'm 55 and the noise doesn't bother me that much; so I think that's a personal thing.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I am really annoyed at Jaclyn and Ryan for buying that steak and then (presumably) throwing it away when they messed up on cooking it.  What's wrong with them?  If they didn't know how to cook it, they should have looked it up on the Internet, not wasted food.  I work in a food pantry at my church on weekends and I see people who REALLY need food; not these losers who were like, "let's order pizza."  They acted like spoiled, entitled losers.

I also don't get why some of these folks seem to be proud that they don't know how to cook.  It seems like people think cooking is beneath them or something. 

I'll probably get shit for saying this but I notice this attitude mostly in younger people today.  Which is counter-intuitive because supposedly it's cool to be a chef and know all about food, unlike when I was young.

BTW, I'm 55 and the noise doesn't bother me that much; so I think that's a personal thing.

I told my 87 year old father this, who has lived in NY all his life and he said, "Give it time".  LOL  My Dad was Mr. Manhattan until somewhere in his 70s, after which he couldn't tolerate the noise so much anymore.

It took me almost a full week to make it through this episode (and even then skipping most of it), and the only thing that stood out to me was Sean's Bible inscription to Davina, which began "Davina" (no Dear, or even a freaking comma) and ended "Sean" (no Love, or even Cordially or Best Regards), and, while she was reading it aloud, he read along with her silently, moving his lips, all smug and Sean-y. I have so little free time; why do I punish myself like this?

• Love 1

From my experience, Manhattan is like a collection of villages.  Where I live now, I can walk to public transportation, the library, the post office, three supermarkets, and at one time, my job.  Maybe Davina doesn't want to have to drive everywhere.  As for space, the more space I have, the more shit I buy, the less space I have, the less stuff I buy.

Many people I know lived in the city until they had children, then they moved to the suburbs, then back to the city after their children were grown and gone.  But others I know raised their children in the city and did it just fine; so I think it's really a personal choice, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

• Love 1
(edited)

Neurochick, I'm thinking Davina may not even have a car.  I have 2 close friends who live in Manhattan who don't own cars and one doesn't even have a driver's license.  She has one of those non-driver licenses.

That said, I may one day relocate back to NY as I own my Dad's apartment in Riverdale and the lure of home is strong.  It's a little more suburban than Manhattan plus more convenient for Mr. Snarklepuss' career.  I have a feeling I'd get used to the clamor of Manhattan again if I went there on a regular basis.  Mr. Snarklepuss goes there every week and he's fine with it.  If Sean only gave it time he might have gotten used to it.  I know I HATED my present location when we first moved here but grew to appreciate it after a time.  Now I'm learning not to appreciate it again and could see myself back home.  I moved here because of Mr. Snarklepuss' career, not because I really wanted to move here.  People move for their loved ones all the time.  The problem with Sean is he didn't care for Davina.  I really don't see him caring for anyone but Sean, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

Lots of people in cities (I'm from Boston) opt out of owning cars now.  Zip cars (hourly rentals) and mass transportation make owning a car unnecessary in big cities.  But Davina can drive.  They showed her driving to New Jersey in the Christmas episode. Or at least, getting out of the driver's side of the car when she arrived at Sean's house.  

It took me almost a full week to make it through this episode (and even then skipping most of it), and the only thing that stood out to me was Sean's Bible inscription to Davina, which began "Davina" (no Dear, or even a freaking comma) and ended "Sean" (no Love, or even Cordially or Best Regards), and, while she was reading it aloud, he read along with her silently, moving his lips, all smug and Sean-y. I have so little free time; why do I punish myself like this?

Oh we are ALL asking ourselves why we are punishing ourselves by watching this dreck ;)  I did notice that Davina had a P.S. on Sean's letter which was not read out loud on the show and yes I was an idiot and paused it.  It said (and I am paraphrasing) something to the effect that if we were made in God's image, that includes our ugly suckable toes.  I would restore the recording on my DVR and type it exactly but I have already wasted way too much time on this ;)

• Love 2

Davina's Sean - Creeps me out in a Ted Bundy-ish sort of way. And Jess' Ryan..I'd be curious to see what he looks like after a couple of squirts of Clear Eyes or Visine. He always looks stoned on something to me. This season was a total snore. I think I fast forwarded through a lot of it. I'm not even sure of anyones profession this time around- except Jacyln the Vodka Rep. Seen enough to think that if any of them DO stay together it is only for the extra 15.....!