Type keyword(s) to search

One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, shron17 said:

Not really--that was after the ultimatum and after Lorelai slept with Christopher.  I'm talking about the ultimatum itself.

The ultimatum relates to the  quote that she did not want to be married to someone who didn't wanna be married to her. The Christopher thing was an add on.  It was more Lorelai dysfunction.  

Then later on she goes on to explain that she doesn't wanna be married to someone who didn't want to "let her in the car."

Those all relate back to the ultimatum.  Like the psychologist said, she did not have him...what was she really losing?

Now, do I think she should have been better about communicating all these things? Of course. To I think Luke should have been more open and communicative? Of course. Do I think they are both to blame for the entire situation? Of course. And they agree on that later in the maze.

Those 2 are a flaming hot mess of nonsense and I cannot defend either set of behaviors.

[I do agree with the person who said that asking to hold off on a date versus canceling a fully planned wedding for no real apparent reason are 2 different things.]

And what exactly was Luke thinking about? What did April have anything to do with his wedding? Was he going to hang out with April and then re-decide whether or not he wanted to marry Lorelai?

Literally fake drama.

• Love 4

Oh, and drop Lorelai for a stayement?

I would have dropped Luke like a hot potato after causing all sorts of ridiculous drama about a phone call from Chris in front of Jackson and Sookie and ruining everyone's evening like a big moronic baby and saying, "NO SECRETS!" and then turning around and hiding April from Lorelai for months.  I mean, wtf?!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shron17 said:

Well, in my opinion, regarding Luke and Lorelai's relationship Lorelai has always been in the driver's seat.  This was mentioned in Summer in the revival when Luke said she set up their lives.  Lorelai was surprised to hear that but didn't deny it either.  When you say now or never you are taking control of that relationship.

In Summer, they had been together for 10 years. When she made that ultimatum, they had only been together for less than 2 years (break-up included). And Luke hid April's existence, and then kept her from Lorelai for months. So basically, they had one good year.  Those are not comparable. Him saying that Lorelai made decisions for them over the course of 10 years does not reflect the beginning of the relationship when everything is peachy.

3 hours ago, stan4 said:

Now, do I think she should have been better about communicating all these things? Of course. To I think Luke should have been more open and communicative? Of course. Do I think they are both to blame for the entire situation? Of course. And they agree on that later in the maze.

And what exactly was Luke thinking about? What did April have anything to do with his wedding? Was he going to hang out with April and then re-decide whether or not he wanted to marry Lorelai?

2 hours ago, stan4 said:

I would have dropped Luke like a hot potato after causing all sorts of ridiculous drama about a phone call from Chris in front of Jackson and Sookie and ruining everyone's evening like a big moronic baby and saying, "NO SECRETS!" and then turning around and hiding April from Lorelai for months.  I mean, wtf?!

Lorelai did make many mistakes in her relationship with Luke. She did not share her thoughts and feelings with her partner. That's no good. But Luke. My God, Luke. He was a good guy, but an awful boyfriend. Freaking out that his girlfriend bought his dad's boat, the very boat he said to get rid of in the middle of a tantrum. Hiding April (admittedly the worst). Having another tantrum when Lorelai goes to talk to Ana to talk things out. Being jealous of the Chris call when his partner TELLS and SWEARS that it is the first time they have been in contact.

Especially since she had ALWAYS been forthcoming with him. She never hid anything, not for long anyway. Before they dated, she always told him when she was in a relationship, so he wouldn't find out from someone else. When she felt odd planning a wedding when she wasn't talking with Rory, she told him. When she hated to bed in the new house, she told him (after a minute). When she had lunch with Rory, GG, and Chris, she told him. The only thing she hid was her true feelings about being kept out of April's life, and although it was wrong, she felt she didn't real have a choice.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, marineg said:

Hypocrite, yes. Especially in her behaviour with Max.

However, I think that they are both wrong for doing that. And she is kind of right to say that he needs to find a way to incorporate April in their lives. He completely cut her out of April's life for no good reason. And Anna was awful to her. I get where Lorelai is coming from.

I see the situations differently. Lorelai had been raising Rory for 16 years when Max came in the picture. Luke and Lorelai had been dating for awhile before he even KNEW he had a kid. So I don't think the expectations needed to be the same. And Lorelai really was patient with him for a long time. 

I generally like Luke better, but I was with Lorelai on this (up until she slept with Chris).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, stan4 said:

My point is that Luke had the right to make decisions about April and how his life is going to change himself.  We all know Luke needs time to process things and finding out you have a child is a huge change, especially for someone like Luke who's mostly lived alone and only has a few family members.  Lorelai planned the wedding all in one day and chose the date, and she was also the one who offered to postpone.  Even then, June 3rd was weeks away when she insisted they had to elope that night.  But why give Luke any say at all about the wedding, right?

3 hours ago, marineg said:

Him saying that Lorelai made decisions for them over the course of 10 years does not reflect the beginning of the relationship when everything is peachy.

I really think Lorelai called all of the shots from the beginning.  She proposed, planned the whole wedding, offered to postpone, hid from him for several days and then refused to discuss it and said now or never.  If that isn't controlling the relationship, I don't know what is.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I see the situations differently. Lorelai had been raising Rory for 16 years when Max came in the picture. Luke and Lorelai had been dating for awhile before he even KNEW he had a kid. So I don't think the expectations needed to be the same. And Lorelai really was patient with him for a long time. 

I generally like Luke better, but I was with Lorelai on this (up until she slept with Chris).

Definitely agree. But she did have a weird behaviour with Max. I agree that it wasn't his place to make the roles about Rory and her boyfriend, but she didn't make that much room for him:

MAX: So basically, I have no role in Rory's life.
LORELAI: Max, Rory's done. She's brought up, she's Rory. You don't need a role.
MAX: Fine.
LORELAI: I don't see the problem here.
MAX: Clearly. So, I should do nothing around here ever.
LORELAI: No, not nothing ever.
MAX: What then?
LORELAI: Well, making the garlic bread the other night was really good.
MAX: So other than making the garlic bread and answering the phone, what else is my role around here?
LORELAI: Well, you're my fella. You're my guy, you're my old man.
MAX: What does that entail?
LORELAI: All things dirty.
MAX: I'm not joking here. We're getting married Lorelai.
LORELAI: I know.
MAX: Well, that means we're taking two separate lives and melding them together. I mean, how do you think that's gonna work?
LORELAI: I don't know.

10 hours ago, shron17 said:

My point is that Luke had the right to make decisions about April and how his life is going to change himself.  We all know Luke needs time to process things and finding out you have a child is a huge change, especially for someone like Luke who's mostly lived alone and only has a few family members.  Lorelai planned the wedding all in one day and chose the date, and she was also the one who offered to postpone.  Even then, June 3rd was weeks away when she insisted they had to elope that night.  But why give Luke any say at all about the wedding, right?

I really think Lorelai called all of the shots from the beginning.  She proposed, planned the whole wedding, offered to postpone, hid from him for several days and then refused to discuss it and said now or never.  If that isn't controlling the relationship, I don't know what is.

Planning a wedding alone isn't that weird. Especially considering the fiancé is Luke.... 

And learning you have a kid is a change in a life. But not sharing what is, inarguably, the biggest thing that could happen to you, with your future spouse is wrong. There is no excuse. Lorelai didn't tell him she was unhappy because she was respectful of his relationship with his daughter. Had she know from the beginning, that wouldn't have changed. She never flinched, never got mad...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, marineg said:

Planning a wedding alone isn't that weird. Especially considering the fiancé is Luke.... 

Sure.  And I don't think Luke cared that much about the actual wedding.  And Luke definitely made mistakes in the way he handled the situation with April, although I still think it was his right to decide when he was ready to start including Lorelai.  Luke thought they were still engaged, he was still calling her, and looking for her, and trying to see her.  Even if Lorelai was very forgiving and patient with him for 6 months, even if she thought their relationship was already over, that doesn't justify saying now or never and refusing any further discussion.  I do understand that Lorelai let herself get to the point where she was so upset that's all she could do, but that's on her for not telling Luke much sooner.  To me, that's a bigger betrayal than anything Luke did.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Didn’t Luke want to get involved in the wedding planning and Sookie shut him down?

More like he tried to get involved in the color of Lorelai's dress. But it wasn't like he insisted for very long. I don't think he actually cared that much.

15 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I do understand that Lorelai let herself get to the point where she was so upset that's all she could do, but that's on her for not telling Luke much sooner.  To me, that's a bigger betrayal than anything Luke did.

I truly believe the contrary. But that's more personal than anything. Yes she should have shared her feelings. But he hid a kid. Like a whole human life. From his future wife. Learning you have a kid is not a betrayal. But hiding it for months... No. That is way bigger than not telling your fiancé his behaviour hurts you so you don't hurt him.

24 minutes ago, marineg said:

That is way bigger than not telling your fiancé his behaviour hurts you so you don't hurt him.

It's not the not telling him I see as a betrayal, it's the ultimatum.  There are lots of other ways Lorelai could have and should have handled it.  Even outright breaking off the relationship without giving Luke a chance to fix things would have least been honest about what she was doing without deflecting the blame to him for not jumping when she said jump.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, shron17 said:

It's not the not telling him I see as a betrayal, it's the ultimatum.  There are lots of other ways Lorelai could have and should have handled it.  Even outright breaking off the relationship without giving Luke a chance to fix things would have least been honest about what she was doing without deflecting the blame to him for not jumping when she said jump.

I don't think the ultimatum is the worst thing in the world. It's not great. But how is what Lorelai did any different than what Logan did in the last episode? Proposing marriage. And if you say no, that's it, we're over. We didn't hate Logan's reaction when he said he had to move forward with Rory or he couldn't be with her anymore. 

In real life, when someone refuses your proposal of marriage, do you stay in the relationship? Most people don't. What Lorelai did wasn't so different. She asked him to marry her the first time, planned a wedding, and then he postponed. She felt stuck in the relationship and asked him to marry her, again. He said no. So she walked. Same as Logan. Same as any person would when their partner continuously refuses to marry them.

• Love 3

I'm just going to chime in on ultimatums really quick.  They are not necessarily bad.  We all have deal-breakers in any kind of relationship. 

So, as for Luke & Lorelai, she honestly felt that if they didn't get married that night, they were never going to get married, and she was unwilling to keep going as is.  Me, I probably would have said something more reasonable like we have to get married within the next 3 months or it's over. 

As for Logan, ditto. He didn't want to continue dating. He was ready to get married.  Again, not something I would have done at that stage because Rory just graduated.  Give her a year to get her footing before getting engaged, but if he can't live with it, he can't live with it.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, marineg said:

We didn't hate Logan's reaction when he said he had to move forward with Rory or he couldn't be with her anymore. 

I did, because I think that if you care about someone enough to want to marry them then you care enough to include them in the decision-making.  Rory didn't say she never wanted to marry Logan--she suggested continuing their relationship long distance for a while.  I'm sure in some cases when someone refuses a proposal, it does mean the end of the relationship.  But both parties should make that decision, not just the one who wants to get married immediately.

Likewise, Luke didn't refuse to marry Lorelai outright--he accepted her offer to postpone the wedding, and then refused her demand to elope that night.  I think calling that "continuously refusing to marry her" is a stretch.  Lorelai felt stuck in the relationship because she didn't share her feelings with Luke, not because they had discussed it and he refused to see her point of view.  Again, that's on her for letting her feelings build up to the point where her behavior was irrational, not on him for not seeing how it was affecting her.  Luke was preoccupied with April and not focused on Lorelai and her feelings, but that's going to be true of married people sometimes as well.  I think what Lorelai did was worse than Logan's proposal because she was demanding immediate action.

25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm just going to chime in on ultimatums really quick.  They are not necessarily bad.  We all have deal-breakers in any kind of relationship. 

I used to think this too until an acquaintance told me she regretted giving an ultimatum because her husband of 5 years was in counseling still trying to resolve his feelings about marriage.  It's a very personal, individual thing but it's also an opportunity to show respect and caring for your partner and give them the time and space to make a decision that's right for them.  I mean, everyone ultimately wants a partner who's happy with themselves and their life, right?  Luke was in the middle of handling what felt like a huge life crisis to him and he probably needed longer than 6 months to find his way to feeling somewhat normal. Even though Lorelai was in a completely different place, I think she could have done much more to try to understand what he was going through instead of making demands.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, marineg said:
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Didn’t Luke want to get involved in the wedding planning and Sookie shut him down?

More like he tried to get involved in the color of Lorelai's dress. But it wasn't like he insisted for very long. I don't think he actually cared that much.

Not to belabor this, but he specifically said he had an interest in planning the wedding and Sookie played the BFOTB card and Lorelai was fine with Sookie blowing him off.

LUKE: Well, uh, you have to wear white. My mother wore white. Her mother wore white.

SOOKIE: Luke, Luke, Luke, Luke, Luke! Do you know who I am?

LUKE: Of course I know who you are.

SOOKIE: Who am I, Luke?

LUKE: You're Sookie.

SOOKIE: No, Luke. I'm not "Sookie." I'm "Sookie B-F-O-T-B".

LUKE: What?

SOOKIE: Best Friend Of The Bride. It is my responsibility to help plan this event. To talk through all the details, to taste the cake and pick the invitations, and to keep you, the fiance of the bride, from having to pretend to be interested in things that he has no interest in.

LUKE: I have an int....!!!

SOOKIE: No you don't!

LUKE: I have an interest!!

SOOKIE: B-F-O-T-B.

LUKE: But I'm not...!!!

SOOKIE: AaaHhh!!

and later-

LUKE: Yes...who's Lulu?

LORELAI: Kirk's girlfriend.

LUKE: Yeah, we're not moving wedding plans around for people whose last names I don't even know.

SOOKIE: Luke! 

LUKE: WHAT!?

SOOKIE: Who am I?

LUKE: Aw, geez. (walks away)
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, shron17 said:

Sure.  And I don't think Luke cared that much about the actual wedding.  And Luke definitely made mistakes in the way he handled the situation with April, although I still think it was his right to decide when he was ready to start including Lorelai.  Luke thought they were still engaged, he was still calling her, and looking for her, and trying to see her.  Even if Lorelai was very forgiving and patient with him for 6 months, even if she thought their relationship was already over, that doesn't justify saying now or never and refusing any further discussion.  I do understand that Lorelai let herself get to the point where she was so upset that's all she could do, but that's on her for not telling Luke much sooner.  To me, that's a bigger betrayal than anything Luke did.

How was she gonna talk to him when he lost his crap and started yelling and being ridiculous every time she broached the subject or did anything?

He went full on nutbag every time.

I totally respect the fact that Luke needed time to process his large life change and he is emotionally stunted to begin with, so that required more finesse, etc.

However, I still don't see what that had to do with the wedding. A fully planned wedding that all he had to do was show up to. This man wanted to marry Lorelai for years.   Whether or not April was in his life, he still wanted to marry Lorelai. What was the point of the delay?

Especially in light of the fact that marrying her strengthened his position in every way regarding Anna's behavior and his ability to obtain some custody.

It's truly a nonsensical plot point.

• Love 4

It's  not jumping when she said jump  because he had already agreed to marry her!

(edited)
39 minutes ago, stan4 said:

However, I still don't see what that had to do with the wedding. A fully planned wedding that all he had to do was show up to. This man wanted to marry Lorelai for years.   Whether or not April was in his life, he still wanted to marry Lorelai. What was the point of the delay?

Luke was still very focused on April and building a relationship with her.  Maybe he wanted to wait until he was able to focus more on Lorelai and creating a good life with her?  Maybe he wanted to wait until he was in a little better state of mind about his life in general before beginning this new stage?  Lorelai was the one who offered to postpone, saying she didn't want him "to go into this all jumbled up."  If it was so important to her to just be married as soon as possible no matter how Luke felt she shouldn't have offered.

33 minutes ago, stan4 said:

It's  not jumping when she said jump  because he had already agreed to marry her!

Luke said yes to Lorelai's proposal.  He agreed to wait to plan the wedding until things were alright with Rory, even though no one knew how long that might take.  As soon as Rory was back Luke experienced a big change in his life.  Then one night, even before the date the original wedding was planned, his fiancé shows up saying now or never and expects him to leave with her immediately to elope in Maryland.  I don't blame Luke one bit for wanting to have a discussion first and then refusing to jump when she insisted.  I know most don't agree with me, and I promise I'll shut up now.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I know most don't agree with me,

FWIW I completely agree with you and the borderline hysterical ultimatum in Partings was one of the two times in the entire series where I truly hated Lorelai.  (The borderline hysterical shrieking at Luke over Jess and Rory's accident was the other.  Hmmm.  I'm sensing a pattern here.  LOL)

• Love 2

I'm sure in some cases when someone refuses a proposal, it does mean the end of the relationship.  But both parties should make that decision, not just the one who wants to get married immediately.

That's just silly.  Break ups are unilateral.  I shouldn't have to wait 50 years to get married because you do.  If I feel that I need to get married in the next year, or I'll explode, then that's just the way it is.  I'm not speaking to these ultimatums specifically. Just in general.  Like I said Lorelai should have been more reasonable with a 3 month, or whatever, timeline instead of tonight or never.  Logan probably should have given Rory some more time given that she just graduated.  But, only the people involved know their own actual needs  If Lorelai really didn't think she could go on being engaged one more day without getting married, well, she's the only one in her head.  In theory, she knows what she needs/wants.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, only the people involved know their own actual needs  If Lorelai really didn't think she could go on being engaged one more day without getting married, well, she's the only one in her head.  In theory, she knows what she needs/wants.

I guess it really depends on what both of the parties involved want, and whether they feel their needs and wants are more important than the other person's.  If someone just wants to get married, sure, give an ultimatum to whoever and make it happen.  But if a person really thinks they can't go one more day without getting married they might be better off staying single.  Because it is a power play, and a really uncaring thing to do to someone you care about.

2 hours ago, stan4 said:

It's truly a nonsensical plot point.

Therein lies the rub.  ASP delighted in torturing us with all of the ridiculous, convoluted, out of character BS in Season 6 because she knew she wouldn't be around.  She didn't care that she completely assassinated the characters with little hope of the new writers pulling off any kind of redemption. 

She can go take her Cat in the Hat chapeau and jump off a cliff.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, shron17 said:

Luke was still very focused on April and building a relationship with her.  Maybe he wanted to wait until he was able to focus more on Lorelai and creating a good life with her?  Maybe he wanted to wait until he was in a little better state of mind about his life in general before beginning this new stage?  Lorelai was the one who offered to postpone, saying she didn't want him "to go into this all jumbled up."  If it was so important to her to just be married as soon as possible no matter how Luke felt she shouldn't have offered.

Luke said yes to Lorelai's proposal.  He agreed to wait to plan the wedding until things were alright with Rory, even though no one knew how long that might take.  As soon as Rory was back Luke experienced a big change in his life.  Then one night, even before the date the original wedding was planned, his fiancé shows up saying now or never and expects him to leave with her immediately to elope in Maryland.  I don't blame Luke one bit for wanting to have a discussion first and then refusing to jump when she insisted.  I know most don't agree with me, and I promise I'll shut up now.

Totally agree with first point.

What exactly was left to discuss?

Also, never shut up.  We like you and all your points.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, shron17 said:

I did, because I think that if you care about someone enough to want to marry them then you care enough to include them in the decision-making.  Rory didn't say she never wanted to marry Logan--she suggested continuing their relationship long distance for a while.

You can't always include someone in the decision making. Most people want a romantic proposal. Something unexpected. Whether it's the guy or the girl. If you include them in the decision making, you kinda lose the "proposal" aspect, and go straight to planning a wedding.

I'm sure in some cases when someone refuses a proposal, it does mean the end of the relationship.  But both parties should make that decision, not just the one who wants to get married immediately.

I mean that is like saying you can never break-up with someone unless both parties agree. That's very rarely gonna happen. You can't be stuck in a relationship with someone who doesn't want to take the next step, just because both parties don't agree.

Likewise, Luke didn't refuse to marry Lorelai outright--he accepted her offer to postpone the wedding, and then refused her demand to elope that night.  I think calling that "continuously refusing to marry her" is a stretch.

When you're engaged with someone, it's a a social contract that you have the intention of marrying them. If you go months on end not wanting to, that's like refusing every date to marry them. At no point did he say, "let's get married in a year" or two or anything. He "postponed" the wedding. Yes because she offered. But here is the dialogue (found online). He's the one who mentioned June 3rd and how it was too much to handle. You can see she did it to please him. Not because she wanted to. And he's the one who mentioned June 3rd and how it was too much to handle.

LORELAI: No, Luke. Listen, it's weird, you know, but we can make it work. I mean, she's there. April is there. Luckily you're with a woman who's raised a daughter and knows some of the ins and outs. I can help.
LUKE: I know you can. I guess it's just...Uh, it's just all so much right now. I've been dizzy for weeks.
LORELAI: Yeah, I know.
LUKE: Yeah, it's...
LORELAI: I felt like something was up.
LUKE: All too much, you know?
LORELAI: Well, what all? Everything or...?
LUKE: Well, I've got a kid. She's here. You know, June 3rd.
LORELAI: What about June 3rd?
LUKE: It's just so soon.
LORELAI: It's still months away.
LUKE: Well, it feels close. It's everything, you know? It's all piling up. It's all happening so fast.
LORELAI: Well, if it's all happening too fast, you know, we can just postpone.
LUKE: Postpone the wedding?
LORELAI: Yeah, I mean, it's not set in stone. It just happened to work out for a date that soon. I don't want you going into this all jumbled up, you know?
LUKE: And that would be okay with you?
LORELAI: Sure.
LUKE: Well, that'll help. Yeah, that'll really help. That'll give me time to resolve this other thing, and everything will be better later on.
LORELAI: Well...great, then it's a done deal. (they kiss) Think it might be a health-code violation, kissing this close to the cotton candy booth.
LUKE: Meet me back at my place later?
LORELAI: Yeah, see you there. (they peck on the lips and Luke walks away. Lorelai looks on sadly after him)

Being in a relationship means knowing your partner. Yes it also means communicating and that's on Lorelai. But Luke didn't communicate AT ALL with her. She tried to help him and find a place in his relationship with his daughter. She didn't push, she waited until he needed her, and was there the second he did. That's a normal relationship. Should she have talked to him? Yes. But she knew it would hurt him. Every time they talked about it, he freaked out. Cancelling his wedding. Having a tantrum over Anna. He was in the wrong. Lorelai should have spoken up. But he never wanted to listen, even if she did.

3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

FWIW I completely agree with you and the borderline hysterical ultimatum in Partings was one of the two times in the entire series where I truly hated Lorelai.  (The borderline hysterical shrieking at Luke over Jess and Rory's accident was the other.  Hmmm.  I'm sensing a pattern here.  LOL)

Good Lord do I agree about the accident. But first the proposal. Yes, she went about it the wrong way, like most times, but asking to elope wasn't that awful. 

The accident though. God. She was a real ass with Luke. She shows up saying he had been in a car accident and didn't even tell him if he was okay until he asked several times. That's not okay. He was totally in the wrong and she was totally self-centered. God. Rory had a fracture. That's it. People have the same injury falling off their bike. And yes Jess was driving, but there was an animal on the road. It happens to everyone (at least in movies). He swerved to avoid it, and hit a bench. That's just bad luck. What if Rory (Or even Dean?) had been behind the wheel? Would it have been her fault or the animal?

LORELAI: No, Luke – Jess did the hurting. That little punk nephew of yours almost killed my kid tonight.
LUKE: Look, I’m sure it was an accident. Accidents happen.
LORELAI: Not with my kid in the car, they don’t.
[...]
LORELAI: Why didn’t you put a stop to it at the first sign of trouble? Why didn’t you make him leave?
LUKE: He’s my nephew. I had an obligation to take him in, I had an obligation to care for him.
LORELAI: You had an obligation to this town and to me and to Rory. Where are you going?
LUKE: I have to find out where Jess is.
LORELAI: Well, I’ll tell you where he’s not – he’s not in the emergency room having him arm plastered up!
LUKE: Hey, I am sorry about Rory. You know I care more about her than I do myself, but at least you know where Rory is and at least you know that she’s okay. Now, I have to find Jess and I have to make sure that he’s okay, and if that cuts into your screaming time, well that’s just too damn bad!

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Therein lies the rub.  ASP delighted in torturing us with all of the ridiculous, convoluted, out of character BS in Season 6 because she knew she wouldn't be around.  She didn't care that she completely assassinated the characters with little hope of the new writers pulling off any kind of redemption. 

She can go take her Cat in the Hat chapeau and jump off a cliff.

Yes she did. There was really no reason for Luke not to tell Lorelai he had a kid. Well, where's the fun in that? Instead let's have Luke keep April a secret for two months! Its not like they lived together. Let's also make sure he throws a fit about secrets right before then so he looks like an even more jackass when he keeps a secret for two months. Let's have him and Lorelai never talk or discuss April at all. Not even her asking what his daughter's like, giving him help and support. Even if he wanted to spend a lot of time with his new daughter on his own. Let's have Lorelai sad face, not saying anything letting it build up until she blows up at Luke demanding he marry her or their through. Why? Was it so important she had to get married right away? She couldn't wait a year? Why don't they talk about how April is going to fit in their lives. Where is she going to sleep when she visits Luke and Lorelai? Her own room or share with Rory? Why doesn't anyone ask how weird it is for April to know her dad has fiancée that she's never met? Maybe set up a time for them to meet and spend time together. Luke could still have the bulk of the time by maybe a dinner here and there with Lorelai, Luke and April? Along with Rory. Their going to be stepsisters right? No that all makes too much sense and might even be more interesting to watch. Let's have Lorelai lie about spending the night at Christopher's because his father died and she went to comfort him. Imagine the horror of that! Of course Luke's going to be pissed. Any man in his right mind would flip out at that. That's the worse. Even worse then having sex with your ex. Luke who buried both his parents' wouldn't understand that.   

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

It does at least lead to one of my favorite Luke quotes of all time!

19 minutes ago, marineg said:

Hey, I am sorry about Rory. You know I care more about her than I do myself, but at least you know where Rory is and at least you know that she’s okay. Now, I have to find Jess and I have to make sure that he’s okay, and if that cuts into your screaming time, well that’s just too damn bad!

Ahhh, I want to jump up and cheer every time he says that.

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Why don't they talk about how April is going to fit in their lives. Where is she going to sleep when she visits Luke and Lorelai? Her own room or share with Rory? Why doesn't anyone ask how weird it is for April to know her dad has fiancée that she's never met? Maybe set up a time for them to meet and spend time together. Luke could still have the bulk of the time by maybe a dinner hear and there with Lorelai, Luke and April? Along with Rory. Their going to be stepsisters right? No that all makes too much sense and might even be more interesting to watch. Let's have Lorelai lie about spending the night at Christopher's because his father died and she went to comfort him. Imagine the horror of that! Of course Luke's going to be pissed. Any man in his right mind would flip out at that. That's the worse. Even worse then having sex with your ex. Luke who buried both his parents' wouldn't understand that.   

Literally just watched the Staub's death episode. And yeah, that was weird. Especially since he doesn't hate Chris yet. Not like after the wedding.

And where April is gonna sleep? That brings me to the horrors that were Luke's remodelling projects. First his studio apartment were he "added" a room that was just an open space with a bed, and then Lorelai's house, where they supposedly remodelled the whole house but only repainted and made the single bedroom upstairs bigger, along with its bathroom. Literally the worst spending of money in the show, and there were some doozies.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 1
(edited)

I mean that is like saying you can never break-up with someone unless both parties agree. That's very rarely gonna happen. You can't be stuck in a relationship with someone who doesn't want to take the next step, just because both parties don't agree.

Not really, since all relationships don't include proposals.  If someone proposes it generally means the relationship is a bit more serious and probably discussion is needed before deciding whether to break up or carry on, so it can be determined if both people want the same thing.

Being in a relationship means knowing your partner. Yes it also means communicating and that's on Lorelai. But Luke didn't communicate AT ALL with her.

Luke did communicate, beginning with the exchange you copied above when he told her it all felt like too much.  I also remember him asking her more than once if she was okay, and listening for her answer, and each time she assured him she was.  Somehow I doubt that was all because she was trying not to hurt him.  When they were at Martha's Vineyard and Lorelai told him to stop complaining, Luke turned on a dime and became much more pleasant to be around.  Yet it's practically impossible to know a partner who doesn't communicate and/or who tells you it's okay when it isn't.  Case in point from above:

LORELAI: Yeah, I mean, it's not set in stone. It just happened to work out for a date that soon. I don't want you going into this all jumbled up, you know?
LUKE: And that would be okay with you?
LORELAI: Sure.

Yes, she went about it the wrong way, like most times, but asking to elope wasn't that awful.

Giving an ultimatum is not asking to elope!

3 hours ago, stan4 said:

What exactly was left to discuss?

Let me count the topics.  Whether Lorelai really wanted to get married without even Rory there.  Whether Luke would like April to be at his wedding.  Why Lorelai went to talk to Anna without letting Luke know and what was said, because this will directly affect Luke and his relationship with his daughter.  How Luke can include Lorelai a little more in his time with April.  When Luke should move into Lorelai's house.  Whether Luke told Anna and April they were engaged.  How were things with Luke and Anna since her freakout over the birthday party and what might Luke do to make the situation better.  Whether it would be better to wait just a little longer before getting married, and when and where.  Etc. etc.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, shron17 said:

Let me count the topics.  Whether Lorelai really wanted to get married without even Rory there.  Whether Luke would like April to be at his wedding.  Why Lorelai went to talk to Anna without letting Luke know and what was said, because this will directly affect Luke and his relationship with his daughter.  How Luke can include Lorelai a little more in his time with April.  When Luke should move into Lorelai's house.  Whether Luke told Anna and April they were engaged.  How were things with Luke and Anna since her freakout over the birthday party and what might Luke do to make the situation better.  Whether it would be better to wait just a little longer before getting married, and when and where.  Etc. etc.

Agree with the first points about Lorelai saying things were ok when they clearly were not.

I am rabid about saying what you mean and meaning what you say (esp with your s.o.).

It's not fair to withhold and then resent/explode.  Especially if they ask!

With it agreed that they'd marry, what's left to discuss?  I get the whole figuring out roles, involvement,  custody, etc (not that Luke would allow for April conversation).  Again, given that April pretty much only hung out with him at the diner, these things could have been figured out post-wedding.

Luke also was basically checked out of the relationship.

I sure as heck would not want to marry someone who every time something big happen just checked out of my relationship.

If anything, that should have been a big aha moment for Lorelai.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Luke also was basically checked out of the relationship.

I don't really think he was, though.  Yes, he was preoccupied, and he kept them separate, and he wasn't around quite as much.  But they still spent time together, Luke still did things at the inn for her, he went on the trip to Martha's Vineyard, he went to dinner at her parents.  He asked her if she needed help cancelling things for the wedding and checked with before he told April he could chaperone her trip.  Those last 2 episodes he was disappointed to not see her when she told him about the staff meeting she made up and looked all over for her and left messages the next morning.  I've seen people say Luke didn't move with Lorelai because of April, but in one episode she told Rory she hadn't let him move in yet. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, marineg said:

Literally just watched the Staub's death episode. And yeah, that was weird. Especially since he doesn't hate Chris yet. Not like after the wedding.

It really is. There was no reason to lie. Lorelai found out Christopher's father died at Friday night dinner and went over after dinner for comfort and support I don't know why Lorelai didn't just tell him that. From what Lorelai said all they did was get drug while Christopher ranted how much he hated his dad. What is their to lie about? They didn't kiss. They didn't have sex. There was nothing to lie about or hide.    

And where April is gonna sleep? That brings me to the horrors that were Luke's remodelling projects. First his studio apartment were he "added" a room that was just an open space with a bed, and then Lorelai's house, where they supposedly remodelled the whole house but only repainted and made the single bedroom upstairs bigger, along with its bathroom. Literally the worst spending of money in the show, and there were some doozies.

It really was. Who remodels their house for their future husband and any potential children but don't add an extra bedroom? It makes no sense. I thought they would have added a new bedroom next to Lorelai's bedroom for a future nursery. Lorelai's never considered adding another room to her house? Maybe a place to keep all her sewing for all the costume making she does? More space? Enlarging a bedroom and bathroom? That's doesn't sound like a couple who's planning on having a family together (there's nothing wrong with that but they were planning on having kids).  

Going back further, what single mom to a young daughter buys a house with bedrooms on separate floors?  Her daughter sleeps off the kitchen while she is upstairs?  I can’t be the only person who would worry about being that far away from my child in the middle of the night.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Going back further, what single mom to a young daughter buys a house with bedrooms on separate floors?  Her daughter sleeps off the kitchen while she is upstairs?  I can’t be the only person who would worry about being that far away from my child in the middle of the night.

Wasn't Rory 11 years old when they moved into the crap shack? Did I imagine that?

• Love 1

I still consider that young.  If someone broke into the house, he or she could get to Rory, and Lorelai would be too late to help if she even heard it from upstairs.  It bothers me every time I watch the show.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I still consider that young.  If someone broke into the house, he or she could get to Rory, and Lorelai would be too late to help if she even heard it from upstairs.  It bothers me every time I watch the show.

Yes. Especially since there are 2 doors, the front door, and the back door, very close to Rory's bedroom. Not to mention any possible runaway/sneaking out in the middle of the night. Not Rory's style, but at 11, you don't know what your kid could do/be in the next 10 years or so.

Keeping the same house, they would have been better off if Rory took the upstairs bedroom and Lorelai the downstairs one. Especially since before the remodelling from hell, they were basically the same size.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Anybody breaking into a house to steal a child would probably be well equipped to deal with an unarmed woman.  I don't think it would make much difference in that scenario if they were sleeping in the same bed.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Anybody breaking into a house to steal a child would probably be well equipped to deal with an unarmed woman.  I don't think it would make much difference in that scenario if they were sleeping in the same bed.

I mean they could just be regular burglars too.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Figured they bought what they could afford regardless of various shortcomings, hence the name "crap shack."

In Texas, many homes are built keeping the parents' room far, far away from the kids' rooms and usually on a different floor.  On purpose.

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It really is. There was no reason to lie. Lorelai found out Christopher's father died at Friday night dinner and went over after dinner for comfort and support I don't know why Lorelai didn't just tell him that. From what Lorelai said all they did was get drug while Christopher ranted how much he hated his dad. What is their to lie about? They didn't kiss. They didn't have sex. There was nothing to lie about or hide.   

She didn't want to hide it.

Rory told her to and she went along with it in her hungover haze.

I think she shoulda told him one way or another eventually, though.

Edited by stan4
52 minutes ago, stan4 said:

She didn't want to hide it.

Rory told her to and she went along with it in her hungover haze.

I think she shoulda told him one way or another eventually, though.

It's a bit more complicated. Yes Rory covered for her, but Lorelai knew she was lying, she said so, and kept lying and distracting him with jokes and compliments.

LUKE: Your eyes are red.
LORELAI: I had a bad night's sleep last night.
LUKE: Oh, yeah? What happened?
LORELAI: Well –
RORY: Oh, I kept her up pretty late, you know, girl talk.
LUKE: Oh, okay. So what do you guys want to eat?
RORY: Well, she will have –
LORELAI: More coffee, that's all I want.
LUKE: Okay, how about you Rory?
RORY: Yeah, I guess I'm fine with just coffee, too.
LUKE: Oh, you two are easy.
LORELAI: Spread that around, will you?
LUKE: Will do. [He leaves to get the coffee.]
RORY: What about your pancakes?
LORELAI: Pancakes are hangover food, it would get him suspicious.
RORY: Well, I could have ordered them for you.
LORELAI: Well, I wasn't stopping you.
RORY: I just wasn't fast enough.
LORELAI: I shouldn't have lied about where I was last night. I'm over nineteen and lying to my boyfriend about stuff. That's wrong.
RORY: Okay.
LORELAI: I could just say his father died and I went over to comfort him. With tequila. Which we drank, all night long, alone.
RORY: He didn't need to know. It's better that he doesn't know.
LORELAI: He didn't need to know. 

And then again later in the episode:

LUKE: Any time. [Pause] You were lying this morning.
LORELAI: What?
LUKE: You said you were fine but you didn't look it. You get sick or something last night?
LORELAI: No. No, I just had a headache. Still do. Just one of those things.
LUKE: Yeah, I get headaches. I just feel bad.
LORELAI: That's all it was, a headache. I love this ice rink! 

(edited)

Can we also talk about Rory and Logan hooking up at E&R's wedding? Cause I have a lot to say.

Lorelai has no right to act shocked at the thought of her daughter making out with a guy (I know they were going for more but didn't get to). Especially when she had sex with Chris on her childhood bedroom balcony while her daughter, her mother, and her father were downstairs, hurt by Straub's comments. 

Luke also had no right to react the way he did. First of all, Rory is 20. If she wants to hook up with someone, she can. And he is not her father, and nothing quite like it. Yes, he has been a close friend of the family for 8 years. But he never raised her, has only been dating his mother for 4 months, and has no right of control over Rory's life, and even less over her sex life.

Chris getting mad is also the best worst thing he's done. He shows up out of nowhere after years of absence, coming into the picture a couple times in the whole show, and thinks he can dictate how his daughter should behave? No.

And finally, why is everyone (except Lorelai) so focused on Logan? There needs to be 2 people to make out/want to have sex. I know she's Chris' daughter and Luke's not-daughter, but she is not this pure and perfect thing that Logan was taking advantage of. [I hate that they treat Rory that way though the whole show. See https://www.headstuff.org/entertainment/film/taking-rory-gilmore-off-her-pedestal/]

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, marineg said:

Can we also talk about Rory and Logan hooking up at E&R's wedding? Cause I have a lot to say.

Lorelai has no right to act shocked at the thought of her daughter making out with a guy (I know they were going for more but didn't get to). Especially when she had sex with Chris on her childhood bedroom balcony while her daughter, her mother, and her father were downstairs, hurt by Straub's comments. 

Luke also had no right to react the way he did. First of all, Rory is 20. If she wants to hook up with someone, she can. And he is not her father, and nothing quite like it. Yes, he has been a close friend of the family for 8 years. But he never raised her, has only been dating his mother for 4 months, and has no right of control over Rory's life, and even less over her sex life.

Chris getting mad is also the best worst thing he's done. He shows up out of nowhere after years of absence, coming into the picture a couple times in the whole show, and thinks he can dictate how his daughter should behave? No.

And finally, why is everyone (except Lorelai) so focused on Logan? There needs to be 2 people to make out/want to have sex. I know she's Chris' daughter and Luke's not-daughter, but she is not this pure and perfect thing that Logan was taking advantage of. [I hate that they treat Rory that way though the whole show. See https://www.headstuff.org/entertainment/film/taking-rory-gilmore-off-her-pedestal/]

The whole thing makes no sense and it creeps me out when men go around policing their daughter's sexuality (or the sexuality of any woman) in some misguided attempt at 'honor.'

6 hours ago, marineg said:

It's a bit more complicated. Yes Rory covered for her, but Lorelai knew she was lying, she said so, and kept lying and distracting him with jokes and compliments.

And then again later in the episode:

Yeah.  She went along with the lie and then when she had the opportunity to finally fess up, I don't know if she felt like it wasn't worth getting into (to reverse a lie and make it look worse bc she lied in the first place) or if she completely chickened out again in the name of avoiding conflict.  It wasn't right.  I was just referring to the first time when Rory told her to hide it.

I think it says something, though, that you don't trust your partner enough to always tell them the frank truth of it.  I can see that...not trusting Luke to not fly off the handle.  Funny, since he considered himself to be the voice of reason/rationality and called everyone else a kook who needed to be medicated.

I agree but I think if you get caught making out at your grandparents renewal reception you do deserve to get yelled at for that. Had Lorelai been caught on the balcony at her parents house then yes she deserved to be yelled at too. Not getting caught doesn't make it any better then the other. Both weren't places you should be having sex at. Luke and Christopher were both out of line. I do like Luke yelling at Christopher after that about everything he missed with his daughter. Its so rare that I'll take any scene where Christopher gets called out for being a crappy father instead of constantly being allowed to skate or off the hook. He really needed to hear that and a lot more. I do love how Rory was more worried about Luke then Christopher. Lorelai's remark about how Luke still sees her as a little girl. That's pretty normal for a dad. No matter how old their daughter gets somehow they never stop seeing her as a five year old or seven year old. Sometimes twelve. I rarely defend Logan but I'm always surprised afterwards that Rory's surprised that Logan doesn't call her afterwards. Really? What guy is going to be the first to call after being interrupted by her mother, father and future stepfather? With him getting the brunt of the last two? No guy is going to the first one to call after that. I'd be calling him afterwards. Repeatedly and apologizing.     

1 hour ago, stan4 said:

The whole thing makes no sense and it creeps me out when men go around policing their daughter's sexuality (or the sexuality of any woman) in some misguided attempt at 'honor.'

It creeps me out if they're hypocrites. If they've only ever had sex with their wife and raised their daughter that way, well, they should definitely still let go at 18, but nothing boils my blood like a hypocrite.  Luke was actively having sex with Lorelai at the time, and Chris impregnated two different women outside of wedlock. So, where did they have any room to talk?  

Had they just yelled at her about the timing it would have been another thing.  Sex is made for more private places than other peoples' weddings.

1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Yeah.  She went along with the lie and then when she had the opportunity to finally fess up, I don't know if she felt like it wasn't worth getting into (to reverse a lie and make it look worse bc she lied in the first place) or if she completely chickened out again in the name of avoiding conflict.  It wasn't right.  I was just referring to the first time when Rory told her to hide it.

It reminds me of the Marty/Lucy thing.  In both cases a lie was told for the other person and they were caught off guard.  So, OK, they went along with it.  But, there was really no excuse not to clear it up later in both cases.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

I think it says something, though, that you don't trust your partner enough to always tell them the frank truth of it.  I can see that...not trusting Luke to not fly off the handle.  Funny, since he considered himself to be the voice of reason/rationality and called everyone else a kook who needed to be medicated.

Especially when you see the way he reacts at Chris' one-sided declaration of love. Lorelai goes to him and apologises for lying, and says that she will never speak to Chris and that Rory will have to deal with her father on her own (she's 20 after all, not really an age where mommy and daddy need to talk about education). Yes, she couldn't get away from her parents in the way she says, but she promises never to contact them again if he gives her a second chance. And he acts like a buttface miscreant.

41 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree but I think if you get caught making out at your grandparents renewal reception you do deserve to get yelled at for that.

Really though? Getting caught having sex? Yes. But they were fully clothes and a bit dishevelled from making out. That's it. I don't want to perpetuate the "dirty French girls" stereotype that GG started, but I don't think I know anyone who would be mad at that.

I do like Luke yelling at Christopher after that about everything he missed with his daughter. Its so rare that I'll take any scene where Christopher gets called out for being a crappy father instead of constantly being allowed to skate or off the hook. He really needed to hear that and a lot more.

Agreed. Much much needed. And makes you wonder why Emily insisted he married Lorelai.

I rarely defend Logan but I'm always surprised afterwards that Rory's surprised that Logan doesn't call her afterwards. Really? What guy is going to be the first to call after being interrupted by her mother, father and future stepfather? With him getting the brunt of the last two? No guy is going to the first one to call after that. I'd be calling him afterwards. Repeatedly and apologizing.     

I'm actually surprised he agreed to "hang out" at the poker night after all that, especially after his speech about wanting an easy, no-strings-attached relationship. And then Rory went and acted like a spaz about not being alone with him when she calls him literally 10 minutes prior.

23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It creeps me out if they're hypocrites. If they've only ever had sex with their wife and raised their daughter that way, well, they should definitely still let go at 18, but nothing boils my blood like a hypocrite.  Luke was actively having sex with Lorelai at the time, and Chris impregnated two different women outside of wedlock. So, where did they have any room to talk?  

Had they just yelled at her about the timing it would have been another thing.  Sex is made for more private places than other peoples' weddings.

Yes, it was the wrong place. Definitely. But then again, in no way worth the reaction it got.
And let's remember that Chris and Lorelai had a kid at 16. And then Chris had a kid and a relationship with a women he didn't love and had broken up with. And Luke had a kid he knew nothing of for 12 years. They have no right to talk.

Again, makes you think what ASP was thinking. Does she think Rory shouldn't have sex or something?

23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It reminds me of the Marty/Lucy thing.  In both cases a lie was told for the other person and they were caught off guard.  So, OK, they went along with it.  But, there was really no excuse not to clear it up later in both cases.

God, don't remind me. Makes me think of something else. Why did ASP insist on having every guy Rory meets fall madly in love with her? That's insane.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Sex is made for more private places than other peoples' weddings.

Especially in an unlocked room where one of the parties is a principle player (best man) and would undoubtedly be called for pictures.  No, they had not done the deed but were in the process so it was a timing thing that they didn't get caught in the full act.  They definitely deserved to be called out on their poor judgement.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes, that would have made more sense.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Especially in an unlocked room where one of the parties is a principle player (best man) and would undoubtedly be called for pictures.  No, they had not done the deed but were in the process so it was a timing thing that they didn't get caught in the full act.  They definitely deserved to be called out on their poor judgement.

I agree. They weren't in a private room. It wasn't locked anyone could have come walking in. Which is exactly what did happen when Lorelai went looking for Rory for pictures. Rory was the best man and presumable people would be looking for her. Even without the pictures I'd be surprised if Lorelai didn't go looking for Rory at some point when she realized she hadn't seen her daughter in awhile. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Even without the pictures I'd be surprised if Lorelai didn't go looking for Rory at some point when she realized she hadn't seen her daughter in awhile. 

I mean yes, but that's not exactly a reason not to make out with your bf or whatever. It was just the wrong damn place, and they could have locked the doors to that room.

• Love 2