Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation and Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Hello Readers! This your Book Talk Speculation and Wishlist thread. You may use this thread to discuss what you would like to happen, changes from the book, what you think may happen, and any other thoughts pertaining to S2 and beyond.

Non-Book Watchers, this thread has spoilers for book two and beyond ahead. Please leave now. Your speculation thread is here.

Edited by Athena
(edited)

Yay - this thread makes me verra happy!

My biggest wish is that there are more interludes/scenes of Jamie and Claire only, including the smaller moments (that are actually huge). I loved the window scene in "Lallybroch"; I'm hoping for more of that. I'd like some little scenes, like "bread!" at the beginning of DIA. I also hope we get scenes of them tag-teaming/plotting together, so we can see that they're really an equal team. It's them against the world, for the sake of the world. I love Jamie's reaction when Claire tries on the red dress (I'd love to see what Terry Dresbach whips up for that). I hope we get moments like that. In other words, better pacing of the small moments with the big action. A little appropriate playfulness would go a long way too.

Lots more wishes, but if the show can do more of that, I'll be happy.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 6

According to this article (and apparently Ron Moore's earlier twitter Q&A which I didn't read) there will be more Frank in Season 2. I wonder how they will work that in? He is dead during the future sequences in 1968, and Claire's flashbacks/memories of the 20 years with him and Bree and working at the hospital don't come until Book 3. I guess those could be moved to season 2, though I think it makes more sense to have them parallel Jamie's 20 year timeline in book 3.

Another option is to have a parallel story line with Jamie and Claire's time in France and Scotland in 1744-1746, along the lines of "meanwhile in 1945, Frank is working at Oxford University and moving on with life..." Though that makes even less sense, since Claire is no longer debating whether to go back to him, so he cares what he's doing?  Or maybe he will only come in at the end of the season when she goes back, which must be the final 1-2 episodes of the season.

However it happens, I'm not really looking forward to it. Frank was fine before Claire went through the first time in 1945, but he didn't impress me much after she returns to the 1940s.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if they are going to veer from the books a bit. Maybe start the season with Claire in 1947(whatever year she returns). Tell her story with Frank simultaneously telling her story with Jamie(like an episode where she loses Faith and gives birth to Brianna?)Somewhere in the season it jumps 20 years?Maybe not even until the end? I don't know, I don't know!

It's understandable they want to use Tobias but there is still Frank in Voyager even though he's dead. I hope it's not to much this season because we still have BJR. I love the actor but Frank is boring.

My wish would be for as little Frank and as little Jack as possible.

I've also thought about it a lot and I really hope they open the season just like the book. It's a punch in the stomach, but I like it.

• Love 4
(edited)

For Season two, I definitely want to see Jamie holding his healed, left hand up to the window, moving it back and forth and crying. And for Claire to tell him she did the best he could, only to have him tell her how happy he is to still have his hand.

I said this over in the Book v. Show thread, but if Frank's role is going to be expanded, then Moore better damn well show ALL aspects of Frank we got in Book 2. Down to his throwing shit around while in the hospital after Claire returns, his being an asshole and a racist, and not just him being such a GOOD GUY for accepting and loving another man's child as his own. Even though that's one of the good things about him--that as much as he wanted only biological children from book 1, which was never shown! that he loves Bree. And they also fucking better show how he was going to take Bree from Claire, when he was suddenly killed.

I know Cait will do a kickass job, because Book!Claire never struck me as maternal or loving until Bree was grown

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

If they do include post-1948 Frank, I hope they show the multiple affairs that he never told Claire about, including the mistress at the end he was going to run off with and take Bree with him. Claire was upfront about Jamie from the start, so I thought it was a douchebag move on his part to have all these women on the side without telling her. And his racism didn't help matters any. I still don't see where any of that will fit in Season 2 though, since it all takes place in Scotland after his accident.

I am looking forward to seeing older Claire, I'm sure she'll be lovely. I guess she's around 50 in 1968.

GHScorpiosRule, I don't think we need spoiler tags here since it's the book thread for speculation of season 2 and beyond.

If they do include post-1948 Frank, I hope they show the multiple affairs that he never told Claire about, including the mistress at the end he was going to run off with and take Bree with him. Claire was upfront about Jamie from the start, so I thought it was a douchebag move on his part to have all these women on the side without telling her. And his racism didn't help matters any. I still don't see where any of that will fit in Season 2 though, since it all takes place in Scotland after his accident.

I am looking forward to seeing older Claire, I'm sure she'll be lovely. I guess she's around 50 in 1968.

GHScorpiosRule, I don't think we need spoiler tags here since it's the book thread for speculation of season 2 and beyond.

Thanks Starla.

Also, there was that scene where Frank said he wanted Claire to show that she cared he was cheating. Not that that would make him stop, but maybe he would have thought about stopping or some drivel along those lines. But since she didn't care or care enough, he continued on with his affairs, and having sex with Claire as well. Unless Claire and Frank only had sex the one time after Bree was born? I will admit, that I cringed when he suckled her while her breast was full of milk.

(edited)

I’m actually excited to see more of Frank, and not just his faults. There is a lot of complex and interesting stuff to explore. For him this is 100% infidelity, a betrayal, a fantastical story, and eventually something that he will discover is supported by history. I mean, he is a historian, the whole plot falls apart for me if he doesn’t turn to his books and then try to process this strange truth. I want to see him obsess over every detail. People who are cheated on pour over everything, phone records, emails, credit cards, etc... He should want to find everything he can on the relationship, and his romantic rival. It is incredibly interesting to me that Claire’s life is documented in the past, and he can see what happens with her and Jamie, but doesn’t know his own fate. His whole identity is turned upside down. How does a historian process a nonlinear history?  How could he possibly carry on with her happily if he believes in history?

ETA: I want to see him fight with her over loving a dead man, and deceive her about history because that is the only weapon he has to try to influence events.

Edited by SunDevil
  • Love 5

I’m actually excited to see more of Frank, and not just his faults. There is a lot of complex and interesting stuff to explore. For him this is 100% infidelity, a betrayal, a fantastical story, and eventually something that he will discover is supported by history. I mean, he is a historian, the whole plot falls apart for me if he doesn’t turn to his books and then try to process this strange truth. I want to see him obsess over every detail. People who are cheated on pour over everything, phone records, emails, credit cards, etc... He should want to find everything he can on the relationship, and his romantic rival. It is incredibly interesting to me that Claire’s life is documented in the past, and he can see what happens with her and Jamie, but doesn’t know his own fate. His whole identity is turned upside down. How does a historian process a nonlinear history?  How could he possibly carry on with her happily if he believes in history?

ETA: I want to see him fight with her over loving a dead man, and deceive her about history because that is the only weapon he has to try to influence events.

But all of this stuff happens in Book 3.  Claire's years with Frank are told in comparison to Jamie's years after Culloden (and that's where I prefer them to stay), but are you guys saying you want to see all that in Season 2?  Bringing all that stuff into Season 2 would waste a lot of time that should be devoted to the story of that book.  If Frank is seen at all in Season 2 I want it in flashback to Claire's return - then move on to Paris and the story of trying to stop Culloden, while Jamie continues to deal with the fallout from Wentworth.

Now I would LOVE to spend a lot of time at Lallybroch in S2.  In the book, Claire & Jamie are there for months, through planting and harvesting season, so I want the episode(s) to reflect that.  I want to hear our Jenny tell Jamie to wipe his boots outside or she'll feed his dinner to the dogs; I want to see Jamie tell Claire about how he hurt Ian; I want to see him and Ian trying to figure out when to harvest potatoes; I want to see Claire integrated into that society and I want to see Fergus and wee Jamie bond.  And I want most of all for Anne Kenney to write it!  

• Love 4

See, now I'm forgetting because I read Books 2 and 3 back to back. If all of the Frank stuff came out in Book 3, then, no, I don't want to see it all in Book 2. Because for a good chunk of the book, Claire and Jamie are happy. And I want to see that.

• Love 2

But all of this stuff happens in Book 3.  Claire's years with Frank are told in comparison to Jamie's years after Culloden (and that's where I prefer them to stay), but are you guys saying you want to see all that in Season 2?  Bringing all that stuff into Season 2 would waste a lot of time that should be devoted to the story of that book.  If Frank is seen at all in Season 2 I want it in flashback to Claire's return - then move on to Paris and the story of trying to stop Culloden, while Jamie continues to deal with the fallout from Wentworth.

Honestly I felt book 2 had a big gaping plot hole as far as Claire going 20 years without following up on what happened to Jamie. I don't need to see the whole relationship with Frank, but I think showing her return, him disbelieving her story, doing some research on his own then reluctantly coming back around, maybe a little flashback when she sees the headstone to an early fight with Frank where he shows her some "proof" that Jamie died at Culloden. It would make so much more sense to me than her just assuming he was dead.

I enjoy the show as an expansion of the series, so I would prefer it to fill in some gaps rather than be a straight depiction. If doing so steals time from other plot lines, I could do without Mary and Fergus' rapes, Claire sleeping with the king, and all the hand ringing about how Black Jack's bloodline must be preserved at all costs. 

Have they said how many episodes we get?

• Love 1

I was thinking a lot about next season last night and I think instead of a wishlist, I really need to think in terms of speculation.  I can see from this past season what is important to Ron, which isn't necessarily the same things that speak to me.  He definitely seemed to like the spectacle and dramatic stuff,  often the stuff I skim or skip on rereads, as opposed to the smaller more interesting (to me) moments that I love to revisit.  Don't get me wrong, overall I liked what he did with the show.  Once I learned to stop worrying about the non book readers (but they won't understand!), it helped me a lot.  That and remembering that I do always have my books to turn back to. 

So I had made out a list of things that I would love to see, but then as I rethought what he would do I amended it.  I think keeping my expectations in check will help me enjoy the show more. 

Ron has said more Frank.  Honestly I like Frank.  I think he's a good, decent man.  And a very human one.  I don't personally blame him for his infidelities after Claire came back because she really didn't come back as a wife to him.  She acknowledges as much.  And as much as I would love to see far more Jamie, I am guessing based on this season I'm not going to get it, at least not what I want of it.  So keeping my books close and just going to try to enjoy the rest.

I do hope we start as the book starts because it was such a shocker to me.  So I see that as the first episode.  I assume we will get a lot of Paris intrigue, the stillbirth and hospital work and Fergus, although I really hope no BJR and Fergus, at least not fully realized.  I do think we will have the BJR/Jamie fallout, and I assume there will be more to it than even in the book so Tobias will be utilized more.  And of course the separation with Claire.  Alex and Mary and BJR.  The old fox.   Prestonpans and Culloden I assume since those are big spectacles.  I am worried he will skip Lallybroch altogether, but again I have my book so I can read the lovely bits there.  I am really hoping they end it the same as the book, especially the bit with Geillis and Roger.  I expect some amazing costuming and dazzling French Court scenes.

I guess my rambling is to just keep my expectations in check, and enjoy what is put out there.  I definitely think Ron & Co did an amazing job with the first season, he just chose to pick out and spotlight different parts than I would. 

• Love 5

Claire does have a well described dream about Frank near the beginning of the Paris adventure.  He's lecturing at university and shows a couple of pictures (miniatures) of Claire and Jamie.  They could easily add her having more dreams of Frank without actually diving into book 3 plot lines.  Her choice of Jamie over Frank is probably still a fresh enough wound (figuratively) along with all the Jack Randall trauma Jamie is still going through.  One could trigger the other a few times to keep Frank's memory alive in the story.

• Love 1
(edited)

I forgot about that! Good point about including that as a way to use Frank. Last night while I was trying to figure out how to include Tobias as much as possible (not that I want to, but assuming Ron does) I actually realized he could be shoehorned in throughout a good chunk of the season.

Edited by morgan

My guess is they might start jumbling the book timelines, pulling relevant material from later books to construct a chronological narrative. I did see Moore say in an interview that it's possible later books get split into two seasons since the books only get larger and more complicated. (An aside but good lord please don't let the first split season be Voyager:

I don't want to go a tv season where Jamie and Claire aren't in the same timeline

).

Also, expanded Frank scenes could potentially be because of the casting of an adult Bree. Bree is a pretty small part in DiA, grows a bit in three, and becomes a major character by four. So the tv show might just make her a big part right off the bat. If so, I could see lots of Frankbacks of Bree with her dad, which would go a long way in coloring her initial response to her mom's tale.

I am hoping for more book departures, honestly. The show has been pretty faithful to the books. But for me, it's been faithful to the letter and not the spirit, particularly with season 1.5. So if fidelity to the book material means less quiet character moments and just crisis, crisis, crisis, please, by all means, depart from the books more. 

And I know Ron can do characters. BSG was all about characters. But I also think he was clear there on what BSG was about. Outlander, I don't know. The books alway seemed to be about the importance of families--balm for the world, bulwark against mortality. On the show I am not totally getting that yet. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I said this over in the Book v. Show thread, but if Frank's role is going to be expanded, then Moore better damn well show ALL aspects of Frank we got in Book 2. Down to his throwing shit around while in the hospital after Claire returns, his being an asshole and a racist, and not just him being such a GOOD GUY for accepting and loving another man's child as his own. Even though that's one of the good things about him--that as much as he wanted only biological children from book 1, which was never shown! that he loves Bree. And they also fucking better show how he was going to take Bree from Claire, when he was suddenly killed.

I know Cait will do a kickass job, because Book!Claire never struck me as maternal or loving until Bree was grown

Uhm , his wife vanished into thin air and then comes back 3 years later , pregnant , and tells him flat out that she fell in love with somebody else and had married the guy . I'd be throwing around a lot more than just vases.  Then he tries to be married to somebody who's cheating on him emotionally 24/7. And he's as much a casual racist as probably the majority of white people in the 40s , 50s and 60s.  And on  Brianna , he's as much her legal parent as Claire . So he has as much right to seek custody of her as Claire . 

(An aside but good lord please don't let the first split season be Voyager:

I don't want to go a tv season where Jamie and Claire aren't in the same timeline).

I think the reunion would be a natural season ending to be honest . And that way there would be enough time for all the different story lines 

Edited by lianau
  • Love 3

Hmm, so speculating on must be covered plot points if they follow the big stuff in the book
1-Flash to the future, breakdown at Grave
2-HIMYF sit down with Roger and Bree, docks, plague, hospital and apothecary
3-Charming their way into court, introduce Alex, Mary, and Bonnie Prince
4-Political intriguing, introduce Fergus
5-More political intriguing, hospital, and Fergus
6-Rapes? Various assorted criminal activities, return of Black Jack
7-Duel, miscarriage
8-Reconcile, return to Lallybroch and the signature forgery
9-Prepping for battle, introduce John Grey, Battle of Prestonpans
10-Meeting up with MacKenzies, death of Column, politicking, Jamie’s men arrested
11-Claire ends up at Sandrighams, Mary, Alex and Jack Randall wedding, rescue men/Claire and kill Sandringham
12-Prepping for Culloden, skirmish with Dougal, farewell at the stones
13-Denoument in the future and discover Jamie survived

I moved the wedding to take place during Claire's time at Sandrigham's because the Randall helping Claire so she would help Alex seemed really convoluted and pissed me off. I don't need to see the softer side of Randall, and it really annoyed me that Claire could be so deceitful and Jamie just had to suck it up because reasons.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's pretty much my list too, but I have a feeling they will condense some of the France stuff a bit more and sadly yes do a BJR softer side. And as Ron has said, there will be more Frank. Which is why I fear they will cut Lallybroch, or definitely shorten it, along with condensing France

Edited by morgan
(edited)

Plus, factor in that they're still going to be shooting in Scotland. All the France stuff is going to have to be new sound stages, where as if they expand the stuff that happens in Scotland in the second half, they can use existing sets and go on location. I assume we'll get quite a bit of time in Edinburgh, but maybe not if it's hard to get control of those popular tourist locations.

Edited by Petunia846
(edited)

I’m actually excited to see more of Frank, and not just his faults. [...] I want to see him obsess over every detail. People who are cheated on pour over everything, phone records, emails, credit cards, etc... He should want to find everything he can on the relationship, and his romantic rival.

Except Frank already pretty much told her he wouldn't have minded at all if she'd taken lovers during the war, and made it pretty clear he had.  This behaviour would be either uncharacteristic or an uncharitable double-standard.   I think he was curious to know if his wife was a nutter or not in the books.

Edited by areca
Plus, factor in that they're still going to be shooting in Scotland. All the France stuff is going to have to be new sound stages,

I heard that they will also be shooting in Prague which will stand in as France since it has a similar look. I think I heard Scotland, Prague, and ... London?

(edited)

Insert Jamie visiting his Grandpa Simon Fraser Lord Lovat before his men get arrested. That's a significant backstory since his being on the Fraser muster rolls for Culloden is where Roger finds him in the future.

Do we need a Voyager/season 3 wishlist thread already? LOL  If future splitting of books happens by Voyager I could see a split at either

when Laoghaire finds Claire and Jamie at Lallybroch and Claire leaves him - cliffhanger. Or when Ian gets kidnapped off the seal's island and Jamie and Claire decide to go to France to borrow a boat from Jared -cliffhanger .

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 4

I never got the impression that Frank cheated on Claire during the war. I think he was trying to tell her he would love her even if she had after seeing a man (ghost?) watching her through the window. I'm sure Frank and Claire saw plenty of colleagues during the war being unfaithful. My impression was he was just trying to open the door to communication as they continued to reconnect.

• Love 4

Insert Jamie visiting his Grandpa Simon Fraser Lord Lovat before his men get arrested. That's a significant backstory since his being on the Fraser muster rolls for Culloden is where Roger finds him in the future.

Do we need a Voyager/season 3 wishlist thread already? LOL  If future splitting of books happens by Voyager I could see a split at either

when Laoghaire finds Claire and Jamie at Lallybroch and Claire leaves him - cliffhanger. Or when Ian gets kidnapped off the seal's island and Jamie and Claire decide to go to France to borrow a boat from Jared -cliffhanger .

Yes, I hope we see Lord Lovat and I freaking love the second half of that spoiler!

Glaze, I definitely think they will have Simon in there somewhere. And I expect to see plenty of Rupert and Angus and Willie since they were so popular this season.

I heard that they will also be shooting in Prague which will stand in as France since it has a similar look. I think I heard Scotland, Prague, and ... London?

Oh really? Well that's probably good then!

Yes, I hope we see Lord Lovat and I freaking love the second half of that spoiler!

I think that would really be the best place to split Voyager if they do it. It's virtually two different stories once that happens. Plus it would let Ron M devote even more time to Frank in the first half. /snark

• Love 1
I think that would really be the best place to split Voyager if they do it. It's virtually two different stories once that happens. Plus it would let Ron M devote even more time to Frank in the first half. /snark

Yeah! They should get married! (Sorry, Terry.)

I never got the impression that Frank cheated on Claire during the war. I think he was trying to tell her he would love her even if she had after seeing a man (ghost?) watching her through the window. I'm sure Frank and Claire saw plenty of colleagues during the war being unfaithful. My impression was he was just trying to open the door to communication as they continued to reconnect.

This . He had just seen a strange men staring at his wife from the outside , they haven't spent more than 10 days together in the last 5 years . He was trying to tell  her that he wouldn't hold it against her if there was someone .

• Love 2

I totally think Voyager would benefit from being split, it is my favorite book of the series and I want as much of it as possible.  I also love the second part of your spoiler, it would be perfect 

if they ended the third season just as they ended this one with Jaime and Claire sailing off into an unknown future with a powerful mission. If I turn exactly to the middle of my book it's the scene where Jenny throws the water on them after Claire finds out about the Hosebeast, and I really wouldn't want to leave the season in an area where Jaime and Claire are not together together.

Where was !? Sorry, Read through to

when she uses the hypodermic syringe on him. Had myself a little chuckle at Jaime saying "I should ha' let them burn ye, twenty years ago."

Season 2, I need to reread DIA (again) during droughtlander even though I did a complete reread of the series during the last break. I have really tried to define my feelings on if I would like the timeline to stay true, and while there is certainly ways to play around a little I just want it to follow the books.  I need the kirkyard at St. Kilda and Reverand Wakefields house (and I always liked Fiona), I love Claire finding purpose at the Hospital, I want to see more Drunk!Jaime and for the show to actually depict more of Jaime's education and intelligence and how that helps them in France.  Of course I can't wait to see Sandrigram lose his head, and I dread seeing Hugh again and then losing him too.  Oh, and Rupert! Poor Rupert.

• Love 2

Yeah, apparently George R R Martin was quite jealous when he heard that season 1 got 16 episodes when his big books (Game or Thrones) only get 10.  One thing that we can hope for is that if there are only 13 episodes, then maybe there won't be a mid-season break.  I'd appreciate that.

My season 2 wishlist included hoping that pared it down to no more than 13 episodes, which tends to be the magical number when it comes to pacing.  So I'm glad to hear that it will only be 13 episodes next season.  I can only hope/assume they won't split the season again because that just ruins the pacing since they have to sort of force a stopping point in the middle of a cohesive season-long act.  Seeing Jamie with his gun pointed at BJR was nice and dramatic but it wasn't an ideal point for an extended interlude and it just create all sorts of issues with the pacing of everything else.  A 13 episode run forces them to be tighter with their storyboard, trim the fat and focus on the parts that really matter for the story.  

It would be pretty interesting if they split this book and did season two in just France, and then season three during the war in Scotland. Those parts definitely feel like different books and it would be cool to get an expanded view of the war. And hey, Ron would get more seasons with Black Jack.

I also wonder if they really have any interest in the later books where most of the drama

unfolds in America

. They seem very committed to their Scottish studio, and shooting outdoors in Scotland is always going to look like Scotland. Splitting book two and three would get them to a season 6!

I read a partial transcript of the twitter Q&A with Terry and Ron.  During the section where they were being asked how much Frank would be in S2, Terry said that she thought it was worth seeing him for half an episode.  So perhaps, we won't see a whole lot of him at all.  Then I thought about how S1 ended with BJR presumed dead.  Since TM has been filming, perhaps all the attention to Frank by Ron & Co. in the media is because it would be a huge spoiler (to the non-book readers at least) if he said anything about TM filming Black Jack scenes.  IDK, just a random thought.

• Love 2

I just read an interview with DG about season one (linked in media thread) and some scenes for season two that she is excited to see. She explicitly mentions the farewell at the stones, so my dream of book two being split is probably not happening.

In terms of another wish list item, I don't want the rape of Mary Hawkins to happen. That is one where it exists to raise stakes but at no real cost to the main characters, so I hope they rework that. 

Ron said in a Q&A that Starz usually has 10 episode seasons so I guess we should be grateful for the 16 we got for S1 and the 13 we'll get for S2!

Again, we seriously need emojis, so I can insert a BIG FAT ROLLING MY EYES IN SARCASM to demonstrate how that rationalization or 'splanation goes over with me.  Like Carol Brady said to Marcia, in season two, when she was pulling off the fake eyelashes from Marcia's eyes, when Marcia said "all her friends' mothers let them do this..." Mrs. Brady didn't care what other mothers allowed.

Me: I don't CARE what other channels' episode counts are, or what other Starz shows' episode counts were. I only CARE about this one, and we should get more episodes, dammit!

And hey, Ron would get more seasons with Black Jack.

I would rather have more episodes with Frank than Black Jack, and I sincerely hope that just like in the book, we only see that ratbastard raping, fucking sadistic piece of shit™ (Claire-"Wentworth Prison") in two to four scenes; all very brief scenes. Oh and I DEFINITELY want to see Jamie GELD the motherfucker.

Angry? Who, me? Whye'er would ye think that?

• Love 3

In terms of another wish list item, I don't want the rape of Mary Hawkins to happen. That is one where it exists to raise stakes but at no real cost to the main characters, so I hope they rework that. 

But how do you get her out of her supposed  marriage to the old geezer and into a non marriage relationship with Alex without ruining her entire social standing to get her there ?

Another thing , how are they going to deal with teenage John ? I think it would be better to cast a young version for this season and and older version for later books .

But how do you get her out of her supposed  marriage to the old geezer and into a non marriage relationship with Alex without ruining her entire social standing to get her there ?

It's been a while since I read DiA, but couldn't she have some sort of willing sexual experience that gets discovered (e.g. "cheating"), for example, as a way to be "ruined"? Again, I have practically no memory of how all that goes down (hoping to start a re-read soon). But seems like there are ways to change the plot and end up at the same place.

It's been a while since I read DiA, but couldn't she have some sort of willing sexual experience that gets discovered (e.g. "cheating"), for example, as a way to be "ruined"? Again, I have practically no memory of how all that goes down (hoping to start a re-read soon). But seems like there are ways to change the plot and end up at the same place.

I'm not sure if that'd be better or not. It reminds me of the Mary/Pamuk fiasco in Season 1 in Downton Abbey. TWoP was not a fun place to be during that (reminiscent of the non-book readers thread here, which I just try to not read).

I don't know how they could do it without Mary's rape. Maybe this would be an opportunity to show a woman's longer-term PTSD trauma, which is a critique I've read regarding Claire's two assaults in Both Sides Now. Maybe it'd give Jamie a chance to be empathetic. 

I wish it could be avoided, I'm just not sure how, with all the ramifications involved. 

Well, she was very sheltered, and also, only 15. Or 16.  What happened was she and Claire were going somewhere, and then, like three or four men grabbed them. Gabaldon had Claire describe them as "spotted shirt" and I forget the descriptions for the others, as they all had masks.  While one was raping Mary, the other, I believe it was Germaine, was getting ready to rape Claire when he saw her face or something, and shouted "La Dame Blanche!" and then he and the rest got out of there, but not before one of them had managed to rape Mary.  The name was started by Jamie, to explain why he wouldn't mess around with prostitutes--because Claire would curse him and shrivel up his man parts or something.  Then Jamie showed up.  I think.

• Love 1