Type keyword(s) to search

Henry Jr. : He Wants Chocolate Milk in His Cereal

• Start Topic

So, I understand that all the grown-up characters have their own problems and lives in addition to the frequent town-wide emergencies, and Henry is starting to look old enough for university although I don't pay too much attention to the timeline anymore so I suspect that he's still only supposed to be 13 or something, but I'm worried about how he's growing up. Is Storybrooke registered for either statewide or nationwide standardized testing? With all the royal family lines that he's attached to, can the Enchanted Forest look forward to the reign of Emperor Henry II (the second of his name, that is, not the second emperor)?

Finally, I never thought that Jared Gilmore was a bad actor and I still don't think so. Henry Mills (Swan? Blanchard-Nolan?) as a character might annoy some (a lot) of viewers, maybe because he's dependent and has uninteresting limitations, but has enough ability to make things in the plot happen and talk about stuff but not the experience to take seriously a personality-driven choice in the story or something compared to the older characters, but...I don't know. Henry's never irritated me just for existing in this show. He's part of the main cast! Let's discuss him here!

(edited)

The Season 4 finale reminded me that Henry can be a fun character, if he's given appropriate and worthwhile material to work with.  I know precocious child characters are not everyone's cup of tea, but I personally enjoyed Henry in Season 1 and in 2A, when he spoke for himself and had a personality.  It was downhill from 2B onwards, though, when he became a prop to verbalize what the writers wanted us to feel about Regina.  I think the writing for Henry became even worse in 4A when they started using him as weekly reminders of the Author/Operation Mongoose nonsense.

It is clear the writers have no interest in writing for Henry, since he is used as a tool, a prop or a repetitive pre-recorded message depending on the half season.  They have systematically ignored every natural emotional fallout that Henry might have had from the events in 2B onwards.  They never let him react to finding out his grandmother and Regina pushed Snow's nanny off the clocktower.  They never let him react to Regina wiping his memories.  They never let Regina gradually regain his trust and to have a fresh start in relationship building once she became a good guy.  They hardly showed him bonding with his father.  They hardly showed him dealing with Neal's death.  They put him in Gold's shop, but didn't use that to develop either Henry nor Gold.  They never addressed how Henry felt after getting all his memories back, following his normal life with Emma in NYC.  They stopped giving him scenes with Emma.  They hardly bothered to develop his relationship with Snow or Charming, past S2.  They ignored the Henry/Hook bonding scenes and made him call Hook a dirty pirate, but then completely forgot about it.  

The list just goes on and on.  It's the same pattern with Henry, as with characters like Snow and some of the supporting characters.  It's not a matter of more screentime, it's *how* the screentime is used.  If Henry will be allotted x minutes over the course of a half-season, use it well.  Even if the actor is still developing his skills, I think he has potential on this show, potential which is completely squandered.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

I suspect that he's still only supposed to be 13 or something, but I'm worried about how he's growing up. Is Storybrooke registered for either statewide or nationwide standardized testing? With all the royal family lines that he's attached to, can the Enchanted Forest look forward to the reign of Emperor Henry II (the second of his name, that is, not the second emperor)?

I think in-story he's not quite, or just barely, thirteen.

But, now that he's the Author, how much is he allowed to do?

Is he allowed to do major, world-controlling things like being King Henry, or is he supposed to be completely neutral, observe, and write down?

But, now that he's the Author, how much is he allowed to do?

Nothing, except sometimes in the second-to-last episode in a half-season arc, if they need a convenient deus-ex-machina.

As KAOS Agent said in the other thread, giving a 13-year-old kid the Authors' job is a thankless task.  He broke the Quill that can actually change anything, so he's back to recording.

In terms of character development, it doesn't provide Henry with anything to work with, or anything emotionally to deal with, or even any interesting avenues to explore.  It's a dead-end, story-wise.  

The only thing I can think of is that the Rogue Author could visit any Realm or world he wanted.  So technically Henry should have this ability.  Doubtful if they'll ever use it though.  It makes portal creation even easier.

(edited)

As KAOS Agent said in the other thread, giving a 13-year-old kid the Authors' job is a thankless task.

I agree - it's boring. His job is basically following everyone around like a journalist and writing down what they do. His job with Rumple in 4A could have expanded his character a bit, but it meant nothing. For that reason, I believe the Author job is just to give Henry something to do besides school. I highly doubt his role will have any bend on the plot. (Especially since all the magic power is gone...) I guess he could be mentored by the Apprentice, but that guy might be dead.

I despise Henry, pretty much. He's got that Wesley Crusher golden child trope going on, which is one thing on television I can't stand.

Edited by KingOfHearts

We have no idea how the Rogue Author was able to record Snow and Charming's innermost thoughts back in "Best Laid Plans".  Even though Henry is now the Author, I doubt this will mean they will flesh out any of the practicalities of the job.

We have no idea how the Rogue Author was able to record Snow and Charming's innermost thoughts back in "Best Laid Plans".  Even though Henry is now the Author, I doubt this will mean they will flesh out any of the practicalities of the job.

Aagh. 

That's something I hadn't thought of--if the writer knows people's personal thoughts, imagine that power in the head of a teen boy?  Particularly one who's been slightly overly involved with his mothers' love lives already?

Yech.  I hope they do forget about that power.

• Love 1

I have to say that I was moved by Henry's scene with the Apprentice, when he wanted to bring back his father. I think that was my favorite Henry scene. I also liked his no-nonsense, getting things done attitude in the AU.

• Love 3

So, I understand that all the grown-up characters have their own problems and lives in addition to the frequent town-wide emergencies, and Henry is starting to look old enough for university although I don't pay too much attention to the timeline anymore so I suspect that he's still only supposed to be 13 or something, but I'm worried about how he's growing up. Is Storybrooke registered for either statewide or nationwide standardized testing? With all the royal family lines that he's attached to, can the Enchanted Forest look forward to the reign of Emperor Henry II (the second of his name, that is, not the second emperor)?

Finally, I never thought that Jared Gilmore was a bad actor and I still don't think so. Henry Mills (Swan? Blanchard-Nolan?) as a character might annoy some (a lot) of viewers, maybe because he's dependent and has uninteresting limitations, but has enough ability to make things in the plot happen and talk about stuff but not the experience to take seriously a personality-driven choice in the story or something compared to the older characters, but...I don't know. Henry's never irritated me just for existing in this show. He's part of the main cast! Let's discuss him here!

His full name is Henry Daniel Mills. Regina adopted and named him, remember?

Apparently Jared Gilmore is the only one not going to a convention, but he doesn't have a giant fanbase and seemed uncomfortable weighing in on the panel the last time anyway. Not everybody's built to stagedoor. If I was his age and had his job, I'd prefer to turtle up too.

His full name is Henry Daniel Mills. Regina adopted and named him, remember?

I was sure that wasn't entirely legal, but if none of the Charming-Mills fight over his paperwork and he doesn't need an Enchanted Forest alias, and the fake memories of Emma always having had him don't hold with the census, then sure.

Perhaps he still enjoyed being there, especially if he's fan of Comic-con in general.

The show doesn't give him much to work with in terms of discussing his character.  How does he feel about being the Author?  Who knows?  Since what the hell does the Author do anyway?  How did Henry feel about no longer having his "normal" life in NYC.  Who knows since that was never explored in show.  How did his relationship with Rumple change when he worked in the Shop.  Again, no one in the universe would know.

Yeah, the show does a pretty terrible job of telling us what's actually going on in Henry's head. Apparently, he was apprehensive about his mom going on a date with Hook, but the very next episode he's going sailing with the guy. And then they bonded so much that Henry looked proud when he told Coward-Hook he gave him sailing lessons. Why did that all happen off screen? Does Henry miss his friends he made in NYC? Didn't he name drop a kid named Avery? Do they still text? Why is he so obsessed with his mothers' love lives? Is it because he's still reeling from Neal's death and he's desperate for a father figure?

• Love 2

I like Henry as character and I find his portrayal to be pretty accurate, well, as far as TV kids can accurately reflect a particular age group. [...] Children make up a significant percentage of viewership and Henry has always been the there to represent their perspective.

I actually liked Henry a lot during Season 1, and I agree that it's important to have a child's perspective on a TV show about fairy tales. Children are an essential part of all fairy tale stories and their imagination really sets the stage for believing in these fictional stories. But from Season 2 onward, Henry lost that innocent little boy charm, became an annoying plot device, and has somehow gotten worse at acting. I really hate criticizing a young child actor and I know I'm going to burn in hell for admitting it, but he's just mediocre. There are many child actors his age who could have been amazing in his role, but I can't help but tune out every time he's on screen because there's barely any emotion there. I know it doesn't help that he has to spew some pretty clunky lines, but even those are all monotone. I know, I'm a terrible, rotten person. 

The other issue with Henry's character is that there aren't any other kids his age he can interact with. I feel like he was a little more palatable during the Neverland arc because he could finally feel a bit more comfortable around actors his own age. He also was slightly better in the Season 4 finale, but it really depended on the scene he was in and which cast members he was interacting with. I would have much rather watched a character arc for Henry where he slowly gained a small group of friends in Season 4 instead of watching him work on Operation Dumbass 24/7.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

I wonder how much of the problem with Henry is the writing rather than the acting. There has to be a character for an actor to work with, and I can't really think of how I'd describe or define current Henry as a character. In season one, he was pretty clear as the lonely kid who was the one person in town who saw things for what they were, who could see the magical fairy tale origins in seemingly ordinary people and who was willing to take great risks to help them find themselves because that was the only way he was going to be able to find his family.

But they've lost that along the way in making him such a plot device so that he has to be the mouthpiece of the writers to support the plot of the day. So the idealist who was willing to take risks to expose the Evil Queen for what she was and stop her from hurting people now thinks that the former Evil Queen is awesome even though she's murdered members of his family and has never apologized for her deeds, and he's willing to help rewrite the universe to give her a happy ending with the married man she's in love with. I don't think Olivier could play that role and make it make sense as any kind of real, three-dimensional character. Even an experienced adult would have a hard time coming up with a rational head canon to make everything about Henry make sense. He's smart when they want him to figure things out, dumb when he needs to be oblivious, savvy when they need him to be able to pull things off behind the adults' backs, naive when he needs to get into trouble for the plot. It's like he's a totally different person from arc to arc, and sometimes from episode to episode or even scene to scene.

Henry now is not at all the same person as season one Henry, but it hasn't been on any kind of rational growth trajectory of him becoming wiser with experience, learning to see gray areas instead of black and white, or feeling more secure now that he's gone from being alone to having a huge extended family. He's just different for reasons.

• Love 4

I liked Henry up to season 3 when he became the "Truest Stupid" as many seem to call him. Giving his heart away just because a complete stranger who had him kidnapped told him he'd be a hero is just plain dumb. It probably doesn't help that Jared's acting isn't the strongest (sorry Jared!) and that he's still in those pesky awkward years of his life, so his seems seem to have an awkwardness to them. I imagine he could improve in his acting if they actually gave him more to do (so he could practice).

Anyways, Henry was never my favorite to begin with, but he's not my most hated either. He's just sort of there.

Henry just feels a bit...disconnected from the rest of the group probably because he's the only kid. And he hardly seems to interact with Emma anymore compared to season 1.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

I still like Henry.  They have really done a number to his character starting mid-Season 2, and using him as a prop has really reduced his individuality as a character. I somewhat agree that his acting skills has not kept up with his age, but the chemistry he has with certain actors, especially Emma, can still deliver some emotionally effective scenes for me.  For example, the 4B finale when he freed Emma from the tower was nice.  And he was pretty fun as an action hero in the first half of that episode.

I wonder how much of the problem with Henry is the writing rather than the acting. There has to be a character for an actor to work with, and I can't really think of how I'd describe or define current Henry as a character.

I wonder this too.  I mean, technically, Ginny is a good actress.  But that still doesn't allow her to save the character when Snow is conformed into whatever the plot requires (when she's not being used as a prop).  Ditto for Robert Carlyle.  He wasn't able to make the speech at Neal's grave or the speech to Robin in "Heart of Gold" believable, despite his considerable acting skills.    

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Writing and acting combined, I think.

I cut Henry (and Jared) considerable slack since he is the only one, currently, in that age group on the show. Boys at that age are just a little goofy, period. And as others have stated, his plot lines (along with most of the other males by the way) have been bled of any substance. He is no longer super cute. Roland is absolutely the adorable kidling, now, and Henry isn't portrayed as old enough to understand romantic adult feelings. It's a tough spot in life, fantasy or otherwise.Physically, he's almost as tall as the *love interests" of his moms, which makes it rather awkward to a pre-teen and it can't be all that much fun being given throw away lines that have no distinctive personality or social intelligence. Come on, Adam, Eddy...twelve years olds are capable of very potent snark and attitude. I work around them alllll day in public settings. They are potential wicked demons behind their goofy *growing into their bodies* façade. (think Goonies!) You introduced him as a wise cracking, gutsy little kid. Let him bloom as one in these tween years.

He was indeed more fun when he was allowed to be adventurous this past season. And if he had a few other same age characters to interact with (again, think Goonies) he could really find his own footing and appeal. Since ONCE will forever be in the family time slot, give him something to attract the kids still watching. The potential is there.

• Love 3

Plus, the actor is burdened not only with some very questionable dialogue and characterization choices,but with having to play a character who is significantly younger than he is.

Two or three years isn't a big deal when you're over 20.  It's huge when you're 10-14.  !0, 11, 12, and 13 are all pretty different.  Even more talented, more experienced actors struggle to portray big age differences.  

I can't say I've enjoyed much of Henry the character--especially in the last two seasons--but, I feel sorry for Henry's actor.  It's not his fault that the writing hasn't kept pace with his growing cycles, or been consistent in characterization..  

• Love 1

I like this list too, but I have to disagree on the last point. Also, no to teenage romances!

I pretty much agree with her whole list. Except I'd switch out a girlfriend for Henry and add in one or two regular friends. Why couldn't he hang out with some of the lost boys they rescued, or even Hansel and Gretel?

I also don't think it's necessary for Henry to have a love interest at this point in time.  That route doesn't really help the character to grow in any way which is interesting.  So what if he is starting to be attracted to his classmates.

It will be enough for him to deal with Dark Emma.  They've hardly had him bond with Snow and Charming.  Yes, the ship has sailed for having Henry deal with losing his father, but it might be interesting if Non-Dark Rumple started thinking of Henry as a Bae replacement while Henry is understandably angry that Grandpapa screwed everyone over yet again.  On the friends front, they could always explore how the other kids of Storybrooke treat Henry.  Is he despised for being the heroes' golden child, or for being Regina's adopted son?  

I know he's the Author now, but that's so ambiguous and wishy washy that I really have no interest in them developing that.  

Henry needs to get a group of friends he can go have adventures with and get in trouble after school. You know, real kid stuff. Not hanging out with the adults all the time. He should be getting to that age where it's uncool to hang out with your parents all the time anyways.

• Love 1

The problem with that is it requires another new set of characters.  I also dislike bratty teenagers doing dumb things and learning a lesson storylines.  I'd rather them deal with issues that are unique to Henry's situation in the show.  

I too would like to see Henry get a friend his own age.  Maybe with the next set of guest stars in 5B.... Pocahontas' younger brother or Quasimodo or something.  So that will put him right in the midst of the main plot instead of a throwaway side arc that goes nowhere.

Edited by Camera One

But would it take much in the way of extra cast? The cast is pretty bloated as it sits, now. We could use a few characters who appear in tiny doses. Couldn't Henry show up for family type scenes, have a question or comment about the current magical threat, and then tell us he's going over to (insert friend's name) to study or play video games? We never met his New York friends; they were all off screen.

Yep. All they need to do is have Henry say he's going to a friend's house or have Emma say he's sleeping over at someone's. It gives Henry a "normal" life and friends that he should have rather than giving up his childhood to work at Gold's shop for no purpose other than following along with his mother's crazy ideas. They could even make his friend be a random Disney kid/fairy tale character. There's no need to actually show it, just mention it casually.

Henry was at his most believable and palatable when he was memory-less. I thought it was a real shame that they took away his normal kid activities like video games and hanging with his friends and stuck him as Regina's cheerleader and creepy break-up basket maker. I liked that he didn't hero worship people and saw them as they really are. Snow & David were lame people who only talked about their baby. That's who they really are - Normal people who get sucked into stupid, magical things, but for the most part Snowing are just your average first time parents and acting like it. They should be extremely boring to a pre-teen. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 3

But that's the other thing though. Did Emma even have friends in NYC who weren't Walsh? Regina doesn't talk about what's going on in her mind with adults because she probably doesn't feel close enough to them or she sees it as a sign of vulnerability which she can't have. And it's not like these people ever tell Regina how stupid her ideas are (see finding the Author), they nod at her with enthusiasm and let's help you out! So the 13 year old as a sounding board it is! 

Henry dealing with the whole Dark Swan mess is one thing. Him being a participant in trying to bring Emma back (even an active participant) is fine. Him being a positive force when the adults feel like there may be no hope? That's fine too because Henry might as well be Snow's child.  Him starting to spew stuff about TLKs like he's a freakin' expert? No!  A million times no!

Henry lost his identity after season 1. Him giving Jefferson advice about Grace is what started it for me. Why not have David do that? David lost his daughter when she was a baby, and lost her again to a portal and every moment is precious and it doesn't matter if Grace has other parents, she's still looking for the father who raised her for the first 10 years of her life.

It had to be Henry.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

I agree Camera One. Henry is always up in both his mothers love lives. He sets up booty calls for them, or makes creepy break-up baskets. Regina is self-centered, and it's nothing new for her to rely on Henry to make her happy. She takes it as her due. But neither does it make Emma look good as a parent that she let him focus so much on getting his other mother a Happy Ending. It seems like no one in Henry's life thinks he needs to do normal kid/teenager stuff. 

I liked Season 1 Henry, but Season 2 onwards, he started to become increasingly annoying, especially in his treatment of Emma.  

• Love 1

I also agree that Henry would be improved if there were at least some indication of friends his own age. I don't need to see much of them (I don't particularly want to watch Degrassi: The Fairy Tale Years), but some indication that they exist, and that Henry does not in fact spend all his time hanging out with grown ups. And I say this as someone who had a lot of adult friends when I was a teenager (and who spends a non-trivial amount of time with teenagers now that I'm an adult), so I have no issue with the fact that those relationships exist. But they shouldn't be all there is in this kid's life and the fact that it seems to be just adds to his lack of relatability on any level to anyone.

I agree a few mentions of him spending time with friends would be good.  But I sort of feel that they would need to at least introduce a credible friend first.  I would also rather have that aspect of his life off-screen (well, no worries about that one on this show, LOL).

Henry was "friends" with Pinocchio for awhile, but the age gap got way too big (Henry being a teen while Pinocchio stayed a kid).  I guess now we have August so it doesn't work either.

Edited by Camera One

Avery, his NYC friend was just mentioned in passing. 

Henry is with his friend.

Henry is enrolled in the after school program

Henry is doing research at the library

Henry is out on his bike 

Henry is babysitting his uncle. He's about that age anyway

Henry is binge watching something on Netflix

Henry is playing video game

Henry is locked in his bedroom because he's a brooding teenager and eh, it's normal

Henry decided he doesn't give a rat's ass about the adults in his life.

• Love 4
Plus, the actor is burdened not only with some very questionable dialogue and characterization choices,but with having to play a character who is significantly younger than he is.

And a character written even younger than the character is supposed to be. Though he was better in the finale. He was acting a little closer to 12 or so. That is a very difficult age. I have a couple of friends with boys that age, and they're a mess. They're not really kids anymore, but they're not really teens. Half the time they want to act like little kids and be treated that way, and half the time they want to be adults and get those privileges, and it can teeter back and forth within a minute. They have way too much energy and they're growing so fast they can barely control their bodies. There's suddenly an extra inch or two of arms and legs to contend with.

I can kind of buy that Henry is going to be all over the map, emotionally and developmentally. He grew up in an isolated, sheltered bubble without any of the grit of the real world, which might make him seem younger and more naive than most kids his age. But he didn't have any peers and seems to have mostly associated with adults, which might make him seem older than kids his age. His relationship with Regina is going to be a little weird because, in a way, they were each other's best friends when he was growing up. He wouldn't have been able to be friends with other kids because they stayed the same while he was growing up, and meanwhile he was the only person who had free will to love Regina and actually did so. It would take a lifetime of therapy to untangle that mess. If Henry hadn't found Emma and if she hadn't started time moving again, we'd have had a Norman Bates on our hands.

I suppose a lot of Henry's current state depends on how much he retains of the "normal" life memories he had of growing up with Emma, and that's where the deleted scene muddies the waters, where he wanted those memories "back." That suggests that maybe he doesn't have a "we are both" thing going on, where he has two sets of memories -- the real memories of growing up with Regina in Storybrooke and the fake memories of growing up with Emma in the real world. I wonder if he even remembers the year in New York, being a normal kid. It would have made more sense if what he'd asked for was to go back to not remembering Regina, losing memories rather than getting memories back.

It would have made more sense if what he'd asked for was to go back to not remembering Regina, losing memories rather than getting memories back.

I think that was what was implied. It was just badly worded.

They totally didn't play the Henry-didn't-remember-Regina arc to its full potential.  Having Henry walking in to various scenes showing the weirdness of the town would have been funny.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
They totally didn't play the Henry-didn't-remember-Regina arc to its full potential.  Having Henry walking in to various scenes showing the weirdness of the town would have been funny.

I think he should never have had his memories magically restored. Regina was supposed to be making a sacrifice in giving him up forever. Casting and undoing the curse is supposed to cost something. Her just giving him up for a year and getting him back weakens that. He figured out the stuff about the fairy tales on his own the first time around. It would have been interesting to see him go through that process this time. It might have taken him a bit longer because he was older and more worldly and probably less likely to believe in fairytales, but it would have been kind of like seeing Emma gradually figuring things out in season one. On the other hand, one thing that was different from season one with Emma was that everyone already knew their real identities, so there was a lot more weird stuff going on.

So he might have gone through something like: There are all these guys with bows and arrows and English accents living in the woods -- and did they call one of them Robin? Like Robin Hood? Nah, couldn't be. Then there's Mom's friend, the one who knew Dad, who dresses like a pirate, and he talked about knowing Dad when he was about my age and teaching him to sail, but this guy can't be any older than Dad. And I think he's missing a hand. At least, I've never seen him use his left hand. But he can't be Captain Hook because he looks nothing like any of the pictures. Wait, were those flying monkeys?

Instead of it being a magic book he only had to touch, he should have read the book and put it all together. Henry lurking around town and watching people to match them to what was in the book could have been a really fun subplot.

• Love 5
It would have made more sense if what he'd asked for was to go back to not remembering Regina, losing memories rather than getting memories back.

I think that was what was implied. It was just badly worded.

That scene wasn't about Regina at all. Henry was distraught over the death of his father. He wanted Rumple to give him back his false memories to take away the pain.

Instead of it being a magic book he only had to touch, he should have read the book and put it all together. Henry lurking around town and watching people to match them to what was in the book could have been a really fun subplot.

I agree. Let's see Henry be the smart kid everyone claims he is, like he was from S1.

I think he should never have had his memories magically restored. Regina was supposed to be making a sacrifice in giving him up forever. Casting and undoing the curse is supposed to cost something. Her just giving him up for a year and getting him back weakens that.

It would have done a lot more for Henry's arc as well as Regina's if she had to earn his trust and affections back. If anything it would have been preferable over Outlaw Queen. Though they were brief, their scenes together in 3B in the park and such weren't that bad. Their bond there was better than anything else we've seen. I'm very keen on the idea of Regina and Henry earning something.

How Regina goes from unloving, abusive villain to Best Mom of the Year in his eyes is beyond me. There needed to be development in between if they wanted to go that way.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Regina: Henry. We are each given our own gifts. You have the heart of the truest believer. You brought us all together. Never think you're ordinary just because you don't have magic.

Henry suffers from a similar problem to his father's. Neal, post-death, gets his name dropped every arc to show the writers still respected him as a character and how important he was. His story is even romanticized with titles such as "hero". But if you look back at how they treated Neal, you can tell they didn't really care to give him any substantial plots. While he was potentially deep, his position was never taken advantage of. By the time he died, he was dead weight.

This relates to Henry because he is often given similarly lackluster treatment but lip service about importance. S1 and the S4 finale were definitely the exceptions to this. He's the Truest Believer, but he seldom gets to do anything with that and the show never elaborates on why he's that way or what it entitles. He's also the Author now, but there's nothing intriguing about watching him running around writing what he sees. I suppose being the son of Regina and Emma should be pivotal to the show, however at this point it's become nothing more than a plot device. 

The more I think about it, the more I realize this problem (important titles without actually showing it) affects many characters besides Neal and Henry. Regina's a hero but she does very little heroic deeds, Emma is the Savior but rarely saves the day, and Hook is a pirate but we don't see him swashbuckling very often. The only person who really lives up to his namesake is Rumple as the Dark One.

• Love 5

I thought the first episode of season 5 highlighted how Henry could be interesting and multifaceted... but isn't. His line to Hook about how Regina isn't good at passwords and you'd think she'd stop using his birthday after seeing a few bank statements was funny. The show left it as a funny one-liner. But it also could have been the tip of the iceberg. Henry is used to exploiting weaknesses and manipulating situations. He has a mix of distrust and arrogance (like plenty of normal teenagers) to go along with his capacity for love/forgiveness and his determination.

This is a kid who at a young age was the only person he knew who grew/changed while everyone else remained ageless and static. This is a kid who had to rebel against everyone he knew, including his mother, to say "this reality is a lie and I'm going to find the person who will break the spell and get her to the point where she can." That sort of meshes with his epic dumbassness when he gave his heart to Peter Pan when everyone who loved him was warning him off. He'd been right when all the grown ups were wrong before.

I kind of wish that could be explored. Does any of his family think he should be reigned in for his own safety? Will he have a moment where he realizes he doesn't know it all? Does he ever wish for the more normal life he had in New York? Has he managed to make friends in Storybrooke now that time is moving again, and how does that affect his willingness to lie/steal/break laws?

Yeah, I know. Too many characters on the canvas to get into that.

• Love 2

He was all over the map in the Season 5 premiere, as usual.  As I said in the episode thread, the whole Henry "I'm not a kid anymore" rebelling against Regina to free Zelena could have made sense but it didn't since they just stated it and thereby it was true.  I still can't get over the writers having him sit at Granny's drinking soda and reading a nice book.  Though who even knows what Snow and Charming were doing as they too disappeared for a quarter of the episode.  The show has zero interest in these family dynamics.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

I still can't get over the writers having him sit at Granny's drinking soda and reading a nice book.  

I know it's easy to rag on Henry, largely because of the writing, and partly because the poor actor has aged out of his character, so I try really hard not to do so,  but . . .

Regina has the sads because she killed untold numbers of people and doesn't think she'll get to be exactly, perfectly, supremely, happy forever and ever, and Henry's doing research like crazy.  He's sneaking around, he's finding secret passages, he's vowing to fix her life. . . .

Emma vanishes to another realm, after taking on a horrible curse to protect Regina and the rest of the town (probably from Regina, should she become the Dark One).  They have no idea where Emma is, what's happening to her, what's going on, and Henry doesn't even go pester Belle or Hook about Dark One 101.  

How does that even make sense?  What do the writers think is going on in Henry's head?  

• Love 2

Whether or not Henry cares about Regina more than Emma, it was a major writing blunder to have him act the way he did in this episode.  If anything, he should have been kicking himself for having broken the pen, instead of stating "it's too much power" so decisively, and acting like it was going to be Fun at the Amuseument Park to set a murderer free. It was horrible planning all along to have Henry as the Author since they KNEW Henry would need to be de-powered, asap, and indeed, it happened in the same episode.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

I think Henry is closer to the person that needs saving and that was Regina. It might change now that Emma is the Dark One and the one that needs help.

Well that didn't pan out during 5A, did it? Mom becomes the Dark One? I guess it's time to start dating and yell at Emma for keeping secrets!

So I binge-watched Fuller House over the weekend (Don't judge. Oh wait, this is the OUAT forum. We already watch a guilty pleasure.) and was shocked to find that I actually enjoyed all the kid actors on the show. I thought I didn't like child actors in general because I seem to never like them in the TV series I watch, but those kiddos have some serious acting chops.

Which leads me to Henry... man. I just really hate this character so much. I didn't even mind him during Season 1, but Season 2 onward has just been terrible writing.

I still like Henry but mainly due to goodwill from Season 1.  Unfortunately, the character has been destroyed by being the mouthpiece for the Writers' wonky and biased morality, especially when it comes to Regina.  I still think the actor has great chemistry with Jennifer Morrison, and I liked his adventure in the 4B finale.

• Love 1

Henry is a Wesley Crusher golden child. Somehow he's right about everything (even when he's wrong) and the adults are at his mercy. When he talks about heroes and villains I just want Picard to come out and say, "Shut up, Henry!"

• Love 1

Henry got away with a lot of stuff due to the cute kid factor. He doesn't have that anymore. The writers seem to want to recognize that he's growing up, but at the same time want to keep him stupidly naive and stuck on his black and white view of the world. It doesn't work. I wish just once someone would shoot him down with his stupid ideals and tell him that life doesn't work that way.  It also doesn't help that they have an almost 16 year old actor playing a 12/13 year old. I'm assuming that there won't be a time jump at the end of the season so this is only going to get worse. You could maybe get away with Henry sounding so childish if he still looked like a little kid, but when it's coming from an actor who looks like the high school age kid he is, it just sounds silly.